Got Milk?! Recovery Benefits of Milk

Options

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I am at least 150 pounds overweight, and even I know that 40oz of milk a day is why you are still fat. Are you stupid or what?:laugh:

Bless your heart...maybe you don't know any better.
    Show some respect. Sara is highly respected here.
    She has great knowledge and should not be talked to this way.

You make yourself look ignorant!

No one should respect a woman who drinks that many calories in milk. She should be providing milk to all the starving children. I condem you brother, your heart and soul is black for enabling a dangerous lifestyle. I know the scorn and scars of being morbidly obese. My boundless girth proves I am an expert in obesity.

Go ahead everyone that replied to my original comment, call me FAT! I know thats what your all thinkig.

Expert you are not!
    You condemn me. HA!
    Simple rule of life....No one will ever know how ignorant you are, until you open your mouth.
    I enable nothing...I don't judge her either! Get it??
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    gotta wonder why threads are able to get 500 posts... i bet everything interesting was said in the first 50, or 10 even...
    now get out there and throw some real mud, that'd be actual exercise....
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Bumping to respond later on my pc.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I've actually quit drinking protein shakes after a workout and began drinking milk instead. I'm 3 weeks into this little experiment. In another 9 I hope to be able to give some insight.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    It is unnatural to drink the milk of another animal. We're the only animal on earth to drink the milk of another species. Think about it! When you're thirsty you don't look at a woman's breasts and go, 'mmm, I'm thirsty!' :laugh: Milk is meant for growing babies...cow milk is designed help a cow quadruple its weight in a short period of time...not to mention all the growth hormones & pus (yes, PUS, look it up) that milk contains.

I'll pass!

Au contraire - I submit to the jury exhibit A: http://cuteoverload.com/2012/07/07/when-the-stork-gets-the-wrong-address/

AWWW! :smooched:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Looks like Pete got himself booted. Can't imagine why. What a class act he was.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm curious where the funding for this study came from. Knowing the inflammatory effects, I remain skeptical about the value of milk although I do agree that whole, non-pasturized from grass fed cows is the way to go if you're gonna imbibe.

Gotta watch out for the inflammatory effects of milk. When combined in a double whammy strength training, it tends to cause a bunch of inflammation in your muscles.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    McKaylaDairy.jpg?t=1345147232
  • althaluszombie
    althaluszombie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Excellent info. I use 16oz of the chocolate milk as my pre workout drink and sometimes as my late night kick me up. Back when I was a small, weak guy, I used to drink a quart of chocolate milk a couple times a day. I only stopped because my stomach wouldn't take it anymore.

Sara, 40oz? I would have to work alone all day. And outdoors. And I'd hope it was breezy day!

LOL: luckily I have absolutely no intolerance or sensitive to milk.

For anyone that does, you can always do goat milk or sheep milk. The fat globules are smaller and it digest more easily with far less inflammation issues and still great nutrition. In many parts of the world that is their milk source and not cows.
    my wife and I really want to get some milk goats. We wanna make cheese and yogurt as well. We are ambitious.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    People like to hear good things about their bad habits, and the dairy industry has a lot of money to spend. This is probably not the last time i'll see printed lies about milk being healthy being passed around the internet as truth. It's certainly not the first time.

So, to answer the question in the title, NO, i absolutely don't have milk.
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Rocbola. That is my opinion.

Why is it "propaganda" if it's a vegan opinion and "fact" if it's an omnivore's opinion? There are facts and opinions on both sides of the issue. There are plenty of learned people and research papers that disagree with the safety of eating dairy products.

If the science says protein is good for workout recovery, why does it have to be dairy protein?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Why is it "propaganda" if it's a vegan opinion and "fact" if it's an omnivore's opinion? There are facts and opinions on both sides of the issue. There are plenty of learned people and research papers that disagree with the safety of eating dairy products.

If the science says protein is good for workout recovery, why does it have to be dairy protein?

It would be great if you could post these sources that saying drinking milk is unsafe. No-one is saying that it HAS to be dairy - just that milk is a good recovery drink. Also, the report, actually indicates that full fat is possibly better than skim milk.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options

It would be great if you could post these sources that saying drinking milk is unsafe. No-one is saying that it HAS to be dairy - just that milk is a good recovery drink. Also, the report, actually indicates that full fat is possibly better than skim milk.

i've never heard that you should eat fat in the recovery meal. i think the benefit of milk, especially chocolate milk, is that it has the perfect 2/1 ratio of carbs to protein, and is cheap.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

i've never heard that you should eat fat in the recovery meal. i think the benefit of milk, especially chocolate milk, is that it has the perfect 2/1 ratio of carbs to protein, and is cheap.

I think that was the point of the topic and the study shown in the OP - to indicate that full fat milk is something to think about as well as the benefits of milk in general as a recovery meal.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Milk truly is natures perfect food....... Just not for humans. Baby cows do well consuming milk.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Did you read the original post? This thread isn't about recovery benefits of protein. Its about MILK. If you don't like milk, nobody is forcing you to have it. Other proteins have not been covered in the study. This is in the Fitness and Exercise forum, because it is specifically about RECOVERY from strength training and MILK. Other proteins are not relevant to the discussion. The discussion isn't about nutrition outside the scope of RECOVERY nutrition- so I didn't post it in that section.

Its vegan propaganda when it's regurgitated in an inappropriate thread. There is no omnivore discussion here. If you have something to share on MILK and RECOVERY it won't be vegan propaganda. Then, it would be an intelligent contribution to the thread rather than a pointless attempt to gross people out.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Milk truly is natures perfect food....... Just not for humans. Baby cows do well consuming milk.

I do well as well thank you!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

LOL, I haven't filled this out yet. LOL I haven't filled this out yet. LOL, I haven't filled this out yet....... and on and on and on....
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    My diet has been really bad over the years, nothing but sugar and fat. The only thing I did right without knowing is drinking tons of milk. Poormans protein shake. No artificial color, flavoring, anti-caking agent, Palm oil, fructose etc.
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    Excerpt copied from:Exercise Physiology FOR HEALTH, FITNESS, AND PERFORMANCE, Third Edition, Plowman & Smith

Got Milk? Protein Ingestion Enhances Protein Synthesis Following Resistance Exercise
    Elliot, T. A., M. G. Cree, A. P. Sanford, R. R. Wolfe, & K. D. Tipton: Milk ingestion stimulates muscle protein synthesis following resistance exercise. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise38(4):667–674 (2005).

A primary goal of many resistance training programs is to build muscle mass. As discussed in this chapter, manipulating program variables, particularly the load and volume, is an important factor infl uencing the extent of muscle hypertrophy. However, nutrients are also essential for the building of muscle mass, which is composed primarily of protein. For this reason, the scientific community and practitioners have long been interested in the role of various nutrients in increasing muscle mass. Much attention has recently focused on determining the ideal mix of nutrients to stimulate protein synthesis during recovery from resistance training.

In this study, the authors sought to determine the effect of drinking milk on net protein synthesis after a resistance exercise. Furthermore, the researchers investigated different types and quantities of milk (fat free versus whole milk) to determine if these factors affected protein synthesis. Participants were young, healthy men and women who were not resistance trained in the past 5 years. Participants were placed into one of three groups: a group that ingested 237 g (8 oz) of fat-free milk (FFM), a group that ingested 237 g of whole milk (WM), and a group that ingested 393 g (13 oz) of FFM with the same number of kcals as the whole milk (ISO-FFM). The two quantities of FFM allowed investigators to compare FFM and WM when the total calories consumed were the same (since 237 g of WM and 393 g of FFM provide the same number of kcals). Participants completed 10 sets of 8repetitions of leg extensions at 80%of 1-RM. Each set was completed in approximately 30 seconds, with a 2-minute rest period between sets. Blood samples and blood fl ow were measured for 5 hours after exercise (muscle biopsies were also obtained but are not discussed here).

The study revealed that the up take of the amino acids threonine and phenylalanine was significantly greater than 0 following the ingestion of WM and ISO-FFM. Furthermore, threonine uptake was significantly greater (2.8 fold higher) following WM ingestion versus FFM.

The primary finding of the study was that milk ingestion stimulated net uptake of the amino acids threonine and phenylalanine. Since threonine and phenylalanine are not oxidized in muscle, the uptake of these amino acids represented net protein synthesis following resistance exercise. This clearly suggests that milk is an appropriate recovery drink to stimulate protein synthesis following resistance training.
    milk-uptake.jpg

Next time you are looking to replace fluids after a workout, grab a container (8 oz) of cold milk!

So funny you posted this today because I was just having this conversation with our dieticians. For an extra boost try non-fat chocolate milk and 500 ml (a cup is 8 ounces and 240 ml).

Why? I'll be posting a blog later on this...but as I've alluded to many times...it's been shown that ATP stimulation and MPS (muscle protein synthesis), while it can vary a bit depending on size, sex, muscle mass - is linear (the more you eat the higher your rate) up until you hit 20 grams protein +/- 5 grams WITHIN THE HOUR following resistance training. Then it flatlines. (I have many resources that document this). Two hours after provided no benefit.

Many of the studies on Resistance training are done on 500 ml of fat free milk! that's about 20 grams of protein.
    In addition, you need the carbs at that time for energy to stimulate ATP production and muscle synthesis.

Chocolate milk gives you protein and sugar...so don't sit on the couch and say this guy says chocolate milk is okay....lol NO, just in certain circumstances.

ONE MORE THING ABOUT MILK - it has been shown that particularly in women who ingested FF milk that CLA (Congugated Linoleic Acid) led to different body composition - IE gain in FFM (Fat free mass - muscle) and loss of FM (Fat mass). You lose fat and gain muscle. Not much weight change but who cares right?

In my reading there still is some issues with CLA as a supplement. The isomer in dairy is 9-cis, 11-trans. In the supplement it's a mix of this and 10-trans, 12-cis. Some people say that it's the 10-trans, 12-cis that leads to fat loss. Others have shown that you might lose belly fat but it's mearly a shift to visceral fat and fatty liver. That's not good...because then you get loss of insulin and glucose control - ie diabetes.

So more research on CLA and it's effects need to be done.....but as for Milk....especially FF milk....looking good for now baby!