Got Milk?! Recovery Benefits of Milk

Options

Replies

• Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It is unnatural to drink the milk of another animal. We're the only animal on earth to drink the milk of another species. Think about it! When you're thirsty you don't look at a woman's breasts and go, 'mmm, I'm thirsty!' :laugh: Milk is meant for growing babies...cow milk is designed help a cow quadruple its weight in a short period of time...not to mention all the growth hormones & pus (yes, PUS, look it up) that milk contains.

I'll pass!
    why do people keep saying this? couldnt opposable thumbs be the reason? my dog loves milk, and i can name a lot of things we eat that animals don't it doesn't mean its bad it just means they can't .
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    I agree with you Rocbola. That is my opinion.

Why is it "propaganda" if it's a vegan opinion and "fact" if it's an omnivore's opinion? There are facts and opinions on both sides of the issue. There are plenty of learned people and research papers that disagree with the safety of eating dairy products.

If the science says protein is good for workout recovery, why does it have to be dairy protein?

It would be great if you could post these sources that saying drinking milk is unsafe. No-one is saying that it HAS to be dairy - just that milk is a good recovery drink. Also, the report, actually indicates that full fat is possibly better than skim milk.

Specific to this point; Benefit always has to be measure with potential harm.

Do you really want bigger muscles but raise your risk for vascular disease in the process?
    What I mean by this is that although WM (whole milk) might (MIGHT) give you a slight advantage, does it really matter after your heart attack or stroke? Now I'm being a bit overboard, I admit, but the problem is that saturated fat is to be avoided when possible. Replace it with mono or poly-unsaturated fat as much as possible.

The American Heart Association recommends that your fat intake should be somewhere at 25-30 percent of calories and that of that 7% at most should be saturated fat. Less if you have heart issues.

In addition (VEGAN ISSUES) - SOY PROTEIN has been looked at and DID NOT provide the same benefits as cow milk or egg protein. Nice try, just doesn't work...I have references to articles and PM me if you are interested.

So limiting your saturated fat (ie Fat Free Milk) for Muscle growth seems like a decent trade off even if your muscles are a tad smaller.....well...in some places perhaps...LOL
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It is unnatural to drink the milk of another animal. We're the only animal on earth to drink the milk of another species. Think about it! When you're thirsty you don't look at a woman's breasts and go, 'mmm, I'm thirsty!' :laugh: Milk is meant for growing babies...cow milk is designed help a cow quadruple its weight in a short period of time...not to mention all the growth hormones & pus (yes, PUS, look it up) that milk contains.

I'll pass!
    [/quote
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Rocbola. That is my opinion.

Why is it "propaganda" if it's a vegan opinion and "fact" if it's an omnivore's opinion? There are facts and opinions on both sides of the issue. There are plenty of learned people and research papers that disagree with the safety of eating dairy products.

If the science says protein is good for workout recovery, why does it have to be dairy protein?

It would be great if you could post these sources that saying drinking milk is unsafe. No-one is saying that it HAS to be dairy - just that milk is a good recovery drink. Also, the report, actually indicates that full fat is possibly better than skim milk.

Do you really want bigger muscles but raise your risk for vascular disease in the process?
    What I mean by this is that although WM (whole milk) might (MIGHT) give you a slight advantage, does it really matter after your heart attack or stroke? Now I'm being a bit overboard, I admit, but the problem is that saturated fat is to be avoided when possible. Replace it with mono or poly-unsaturated fat as much as possible.

The American Heart Association recommends that your fat intake should be somewhere at 25-30 percent of calories and that of that 7% at most should be saturated fat. Less if you have heart issues.

In addition (VEGAN ISSUES) - SOY PROTEIN has been looked at and DID NOT provide the same benefits as cow milk or egg protein. Nice try, just doesn't work...I have references to articles and PM me if you are interested.

So limiting your saturated fat (ie Fat Free Milk) for Muscle growth seems like a decent trade off even if your muscles are a tad smaller.....well...in some places perhaps...LOL

I do not want to get into a discussion about saturated fats as that is totally off topic, but I totally agree that it all needs to be looked at 'in the bigger picture' of your diet as a whole.

Not sure who the comment re soy is addressed to (sorry :smile: ), bit I am assuming its not me as I never mentioned soy and also agree that for the purposes of the topic at hand (and many other matters) that it does not have the same benefits as cow milk.

From my perspective, if full fat milk fits into my macros, it is something to consider, otherwise, I look to lower fat options (whether that be fat free, 1% or 2%, again, depending on my macros) and calorie target).
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options

I'll pass!
    why do people keep saying this? couldnt opposable thumbs be the reason? my dog loves milk, and i can name a lot of things we eat that animals don't it doesn't mean its bad it just means they can't .
    :::face palm:: any one with you tube can look and see just about any mammal sucking on the teet of another. and as for the rest .....not evan gonna bother:drinker:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I don't want to derail this thread by getting off on a tangent of saturated fat. Suffice is to say that I don't agree that is to be avoided. Some of it is essential and if you are managing your macros effectively and working out regularly, the amount of saturated from milk would not be harmful in my opinion. As this study indicates and as has been suggested in other info, there is some positive correlation with the fat in Full Fat Milk and the utilization of IGF-1. It does all need to be viewed in the larger context of your total diet but to be honest, throwing out things like:
    "Do you really want bigger muscles but raise your risk for vascular disease in the process?
    What I mean by this is that although WM (whole milk) might (MIGHT) give you a slight advantage, does it really matter after your heart attack or stroke?"
    borders on fear mongering.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I don't want to derail this thread by getting off on a tangent of saturated fat. Suffice is to say that I don't agree that is to be avoided. Some of it is essential and if you are managing your macros effectively and working out regularly, the amount of saturated from milk would not be harmful in my opinion. As this study indicates and as has been suggested in other info, there is some positive correlation with the fat in Full Fat Milk and the utilization of IGF-1. It does all need to be viewed in the larger context of your total diet but to be honest, throwing out things like:
    "Do you really want bigger muscles but raise your risk for vascular disease in the process?
    What I mean by this is that although WM (whole milk) might (MIGHT) give you a slight advantage, does it really matter after your heart attack or stroke?"
    borders on fear mongering.
    Agreed with the fear mongering...it realllllyyyy depends on the rest of your diet. I hate it when someone says blank food is bad for you...if that "bad" food is that something you do not get enough of in your diet, it can be rather good.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Very interesting OP.

Lyle McDonald's article on milk as a recovery drink is pretty groovy:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/milk-the-new-sports-drink-a-review-research-review.html

I think we can all agree that milk, particularly given its casein content, is superior to soy protein as a recovery aid (*runs for cover*)
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed a cup of milk today... Thanks

:bigsmile:
  • mmapags
    Options
    Very interesting OP.

Lyle McDonald's article on milk as a recovery drink is pretty groovy:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/milk-the-new-sports-drink-a-review-research-review.html

I think we can all agree that milk, particularly given its casein content, is superior to soy protein as a recovery aid (*runs for cover*)

Awesome read man! Thanks for posting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Milk truly is natures perfect food....... Just not for humans. Baby cows do well consuming milk.

And baby rabbits do well eating lots of vegetables. It's bulletproof logic you're using there.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Looks like Pete got himself booted. Can't imagine why. What a class act he was.

I'm still alive and kicking brother!

Pete! Stick around and keep it respectful. Maybe we can all learn something from each other.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I'll pass!
    :::face palm:: any one with you tube can look and see just about any mammal sucking on the teet of another. and as for the rest .....not evan gonna bother:drinker:
    Just put a bowl of milk in front of a cat and tell me animals don't drink milk of other animals! I dare you!
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options

I'll pass!
    Just put a bowl of milk in front of a cat and tell me animals don't drink milk of other animals! I dare you!

Oh I wasn't fear Mongering....just raising a point..lol Actually, I was mentioning that milk has Saturated fat and for many of you who mentioned if fat fits into your macros you eat it...I would say absolutely....just minimize your "SATURATED" fat. That's all. Two glasses of milk isn't going to do much harm. Again, I was just raising the point that be aware it is saturated fat and most of the studies I've seen that are good in the literature use fat free.

Now I do have one question about Chocolate milk. I went to the store and was very sad to see that chocholate milk (while it has plenty of "sugar" is made for the most part - many brands - with HFCS - High Fructose Corn Syrup. So here's my question to those of you who understand what I'm about to say: Fructose is not very helpful to those trying to build muscle or anything else. First off it isn't used directly by any other organ other than the liver. It's phosphorolated there by Fructose Kinase and eventually turned into Triglycerides and fat. That's the problem with HFCS. A little fructose signals the liver to let glucokinase migrate from the nucleus to the cytoplasm of the cell and get ready for an oncoming meal....glucose is metabolized by muscle and brain. Some fructose is converted into glucose...but not a lot. So my question is that if most of the sugar is Fructose in Chocholate milk...then it seems it's not worth using..and back to plain milk! ANyone?
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I'll pass!

Oh I wasn't fear Mongering....just raising a point..lol Actually, I was mentioning that milk has Saturated fat and for many of you who mentioned if fat fits into your macros you eat it...I would say absolutely....just minimize your "SATURATED" fat. That's all. Two glasses of milk isn't going to do much harm. Again, I was just raising the point that be aware it is saturated fat and most of the studies I've seen that are good in the literature use fat free.

Now I do have one question about Chocolate milk. I went to the store and was very sad to see that chocholate milk (while it has plenty of "sugar" is made for the most part - many brands - with HFCS - High Fructose Corn Syrup. So here's my question to those of you who understand what I'm about to say: Fructose is not very helpful to those trying to build muscle or anything else. First off it isn't used directly by any other organ other than the liver. It's phosphorolated there by Fructose Kinase and eventually turned into Triglycerides and fat. That's the problem with HFCS. A little fructose signals the liver to let glucokinase migrate from the nucleus to the cytoplasm of the cell and get ready for an oncoming meal....glucose is metabolized by muscle and brain. Some fructose is converted into glucose...but not a lot. So my question is that if most of the sugar is Fructose in Chocholate milk...then it seems it's not worth using..and back to plain milk! ANyone?

try another store or somewhere like whole foods. one store i go to only has milk with HFCS. another store i go to (not whole foods, just a normal store) has one milk brand that is real sugar. the rest are HFCS. they also carry a milk with splenda but i always get the one with real sugar. but next time i'm going to whole foods to get it because i want organic.
  • mmapags
    Options

I respectfully disagree. When you start throwing out things about heart attacks and stroke, that is fear mongering. That's not "just raising a point". Also, I don't agree that saturated fat has to be "minimized" I just has to be managed as with any essential nutrient. The debate on saturated fat is for another thread so in the interest of not derailing, I'll just leave it that.

Which studies are you refering to that say fat is better. Any study I've seen, including the one from the OP as well as the article I posted from bodyrecomposition.com indicate that the full fat milk shows superior results for protein synthesis. Thus superior recovery. If you have different info, feel free to post your proof sources. You may also want to do a little research on the The Lipid Hypothesis Debunked. Saturated fats are not inherently bad and have some benefits in the appropriate dose and context. They are not automatically to be avoided.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I'll pass!

HFCS is kind of a misleading term- most HFCS used in food and rinks is HFCS 42, which is 42% Fructose (compared to table sugar (sucrose) which is 50% fructose). There's a 55% fructose HFCS which is mostly used in soda, and a 90% blend that isn't used to sweeten food directly, but used to make HFCS 55 from HFCS 42. So, likely the HFCS in the Chocolate milk has slightly less fructose than if it were sweetened with real sugar.

I don't want to jump down your throat because I respect what you've posted as part of this discussion, but this post is an example of what was described as fear mongering- it's a good point about fructose metabolization and muscle building, but the whole idea is slightly off the mark because the premise is wrong- HFCS dosen't really have that much fructose. So the argument on the surface makes enough sense to confuse and upset people, but isn't really factually based. I'm not pro-HFCS at all, but based on your argument people should avoid added sugar, period, rather than get worked up about HFCS.

I have more to say about the saturated fat claims, but I need to think through my response so it's sensible rather than reactionary. Suffice it to say, I disagree that saturated fat should be avoided for most of the population.
  • DavPul
    Options

I'll pass!

Wrong on your first point
    Wrong on your second point
    Wrong on your third point
    And yes, you were definitely fear mongering.

edited to add: so you have us out there looking for fat free, sugar free, lactose free milk? Can that legally be called milk?
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump