Open Relationships?

Options

Replies

• Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It works if folks are mature enough to handle it.
    We aren't swingers, per se, but we are rather open. We've been happily married for 12 years. Things like that tend to spice up a couple's sex life if it gets in a rut.

To me, sex is just sex and adding a third or fourth to the mix just makes more sex.

its not that we werent mature enough to handle it, if something is hurting us we need to fix because over all this strange coming our way WE ALWAYS COME FIRST

I understand. You are SO YOUNG though. You need to be in a real strong relationship first. You are lucky that you are able to stick together and work on yours. So many others are not that strong.

our relationship is strong weve been together 5 years now and when this was going on it was our 4th year I dont understand why people assume our relationship isnt strong because hes 25 and im 24
    I agree with Nicki. It's not immature people who are in committed monogamous relationships. If anyone is immature it's the ones who get married then cheat even if it is cheating with permission. Also like Nicki, I was 19 when I started dating my husband so we had been together for 5 years when I was her age too. That was 18 years ago.

As for all the anecdotes, they're just that. For every marriage that makes it work far more don't. I can tell you stories about women who married their boyfriend after he knocked her up when she was 15 and they made it work. I can tell stories of couples with 40 year age differences who made it work. Hell, there are even some Hollywood couples who have been together over 30 years. But a story doesn't mean it's the norm. It could be 1 in a million.

Really though, why even bother getting married at all if you want to f* around?
  • bennyevs
    Options
    interesting concept. I have friends who swing and they're great together. They have 2 awesome kids and are very happy together, it's just something they do. I don't think there's anything wrong ith it as long as you're both happy with it and one is not trying to force the other. Go for it, it's great fun!
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Um. In MY opinion, if you truly love the one you're with. Thats enough. Open relationships are for people unsure of their feelings for their 'partner', but still want the security of a relationship.

I've only heard of a select few people that make "swinging" or "open relationships" work

Edit- Banging other people could be alright. Its just that the majority of open relationships I know end up with one partner gaining feelings for another person, which leads to emotional cheating.
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    We aren't swingers, per se, but we are rather open. We've been happily married for 12 years. Things like that tend to spice up a couple's sex life if it gets in a rut.

To me, sex is just sex and adding a third or fourth to the mix just makes more sex.

its not that we werent mature enough to handle it, if something is hurting us we need to fix because over all this strange coming our way WE ALWAYS COME FIRST

I understand. You are SO YOUNG though. You need to be in a real strong relationship first. You are lucky that you are able to stick together and work on yours. So many others are not that strong.

our relationship is strong weve been together 5 years now and when this was going on it was our 4th year I dont understand why people assume our relationship isnt strong because hes 25 and im 24
    I agree with Nicki. It's not immature people who are in committed monogamous relationships. If anyone is immature it's the ones who get married then cheat even if it is cheating with permission. Also like Nicki, I was 19 when I started dating my husband so we had been together for 5 years when I was her age too. That was 18 years ago.

As for all the anecdotes, they're just that. For every marriage that makes it work far more don't. I can tell you stories about women who married their boyfriend after he knocked her up when she was 15 and they made it work. I can tell stories of couples with 40 year age differences who made it work. Hell, there are even some Hollywood couples who have been together over 30 years. But a story doesn't mean it's the norm. It could be 1 in a million.

Really though, why even bother getting married at all if you want to f* around?

This is pretty much my take on it but each to their own I don't tell other people who they should live it just doesn't make sense to me.

However I'm curious why you're asking because you seem to already have your mind made up.
  • moreno89
    moreno89 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i think no matter how confident or how secure you may be there's always room for jealousy when you're in a relationship.It's possible for you to fall in love with someone else or just feel like you would like to explore your options with no stringS attached (marriage)....it would really suck and be painful for 1 in the end,however i think if thats what you want you should go into a relationship with that decision already made....being in a committed relationship then deciding to do so could lead in all of the above^....but that's my opinion :)
  • 70moretogo
    Options
    It is a gamble. If the marriage is something you are willing to gamble with and are prepared to lose over random sex then by all means do it. This is just my opinion but I would not gamble with something that I truly valued.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    To each their own. But I must say, I love my partner enough I would never ever want to share him.
    I don't know how people that in love could want to share.

I think it's a one way ticket to drunken fights, sleeping in separate beds..
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    yes, depends on the people and the relationship. Definenlty not for everyone!
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My husband & I would never we beleve you marry a person that's the only person you are with,we feel like we are cheating each other we love each alot i love spending time with him,his the ONLY 1 for me.Are you not afraid of diseases you can get,i think it's digusting .So i'm aganist it
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I'm not knocking it, but I just don't understand it.
    If someone wants to sleep with other people, I don't understand why they would get married in the first place? It just seems like things would get so complicated!

But, I've never been in an open relationship... So I don't know.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    To each their own. But I must say, I love my partner enough I would never ever want to share him.

I agree. I feel like a broken record, but I'll say it again, I don't share. My heart and my body belong to my husband and nobody else will have access to either. He says he feels the exact same way.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

I agree. I feel like a broken record, but I'll say it again, I don't share. My heart and my body belong to my husband and nobody else will have access to either. He says he feels the exact same way.
    I honestly think if you'd consider this, something would be inherently wrong with the relationship. Better to spend money on therapy than swingers bars in this situation.
    Not to mention it's incredibly unsanitary.
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    How would you feel if "he" starts spending more time with "her"?
    What if they become closer than the two of you?
    I could never do it. Beyond the sex I just can't imagine my man being "intimate" with another woman, kissing, touching or ANYTHING. Be careful what you wish for. The grass isn't always greener.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    but what if you're jogging and you see an ex standing in someone's driveway and decide to text him that this is YOUR street to jog on?

Oh sorry, wrong thread.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Im in an open relationship. Its necessary for my sanity. I dont act on that, though.

Meaning, one man has my heart, but he doesnt have his thumb on me, especially cause its the kind of situation where you dont get to see each other very often. So I completely have the option to involve myself intimately elsewhere, I just dont want to. I can, but I dont.
  • 4aFitTina
    Options
    My husband and I have a semi-open relationship. We love it. We don't just go out and sleep with whomever we want. And I don't "sleep around" but we have been with 1 other couple and 1 other girl. We are both extremely sexual people and I think it is perfect for our personalities. It's definitely not for everyone.

If you want to talk about it in more detail, PM me. I don't want to get into details here.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I could never go there but to each his/her own. I could never be into somethin like that because I can't be sexual outside of a love relationship.

needy
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It will never work. It will always end badly.... Don't do it. There is literally thousands of other ways to spice up a marraige!

And you know this because . . . . . . .?
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options

Maturity has nothing to do with it.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I thought this topic was about tattoos?