Open Relationships?

Options

Replies

• michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    First of all, just to clear up some issues: If someone is pressuring you into opening up the relationship, of course it's going to fail, and fail badly. Because (in my oh so humble opinion) that person wants to fool around with someone else. There's already issues in your relationship. It's supposed to be fun for both parties - not just one. Don't freaking do it. (Duh.)

Saying that couples that are open are immature, don't really want *real* relationships, are just cheaters/bad people (and my favorite, disease riddled and NASTY!) all around - thank you for that judgement. 'Preciate your kindness and tolerance for something you know hardly anything about.

And as for if they 'last' - well. What's the US percentage on divorce? 40-53%? It doesn't seem like a lot of relationships are lasting - maybe due to someone cheating, maybe due to incompatibility, who knows. I'm not sure it's fair to say that they are flimsy when it seems that /most/ marriages these days are flimsy.

I'm in an open relationship - we're poly. Josh and I've been together for over 10 years - friends first, then we dated. My first serious relationship was not with him but he was there for me when it went *kitten* up. I knew he was poly when I met him, and we were both 'single' when we cemented our relationship. I wasn't poly, but it wasn't long before I met a friend of his, and then another friend - and the rest is history. We both have strong relationships outside of our /very/ strong one. There is no 'cheating', there is nothing sordid or gross about it.

Honestly, we are one big family - I like Josh's 'husband', and treat him with respect and love - and he does the same for me. Our families get together during the year, we celebrate holidays, and we've got kids. It's our 'normal', and there's nothing wrong with it.

I guess we're just wired that way - and some people aren't, and that's okay too.

Oh - and it goes without saying that we have strong communication, and our trust levels are at supernatural heights. But these values are intrinsic for any relationship, not just poly ones. And we do keep it on the 'down low' - my mom knows, and our kid knows, but the outside world at large does not.

Thank you for this. It's people like you that I have the utmost respect for.
  • michelejoann
    Options
    i fink diz fin, u GOTT2 uze contresepsion tho wich bad. lds mormon sey dat u cn av multipal wivs BUT u cant uze contreseption. so b prepard tio have babes. if u nt prepard to av babes den u gota stay wiv ur husbend. Simplez

kelly x

No offense, BUT PLEASE USE PROPER GRAMMAR AND SPELLING. My brain hurts trying to decipher this.

I think this person is a troll.

Ugh, I disdain trolls. Back under the bridge!
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    You both made a commitment to only be with each other - for the rest of your lives.

How do you know what they committed to?
  • michelejoann
    Options
    Kids deserve a stable environment, so if you have kids or plan on having kids, leave your alternative lifestyle at the door. Having sex with other people is for single people, not married people. If the relationship is good, then you don't need anyone else in it. Sounds like it is his idea not yours. If you have to ask a bunch of strangers about a personal decision, then you already know it is not for you. I have been married for 15 years and i have never wanted to be with anyone else, even when I was fantasizing about hitting my hubby over the head with a frying pan. Even when things weren't clicking in the bedroom. The unique thing about marriage and commitment is that you work through those things or wait them out. Sticking through the ups and downs together deepens your relationship in a way you can't describe until you live it. You both made a commitment to only be with each other - for the rest of your lives. There is magic, meaning, and poetry in that. Committed relationships are like diamonds, pressure treated gems that come from nothing valuable, then valuable because they are rare.

Also, what defines an "alternative" lifestyle?
  • Memorysketch
    Memorysketch Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Hee. Thank you! :) Very kind of you to say :)
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    If i'm not good enough he's free to leave. Don't suggest such horse excrement to me is how i see it.
    Open wha? I'd tear some stuff up my boo even thought he was going to suggest something like that.

So yeah in summary that sort of lifestyle is not for me.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. Make sure it's truly what you want before jumping in cause I don't think you can test the waters with swinging. I like a one to one relationship~ commitment, loyalty, friendship, teamwork with vision and a future together . Fortunately my husband feels the same.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You both made a commitment to only be with each other - for the rest of your lives.

How do you know what they committed to?
  • michelejoann
    Options

Hee. Thank you! :) Very kind of you to say :)

What can I say? I'm an OPEN-minded person (who isn't in an open relationship). ; )
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Im in an open relationship. Its necessary for my sanity. I dont act on that, though.

Meaning, one man has my heart, but he doesnt have his thumb on me, especially cause its the kind of situation where you dont get to see each other very often. So I completely have the option to involve myself intimately elsewhere, I just dont want to. I can, but I dont.

This does not make sense at all !! You need the open relationship for your sanity but you are very happy in your relationship???

It does make sense. To me. And him. Theres no need to ????!!! at us. Im very happy, very very very very very very happy in an impossible situation that we cared enough to MAKE WORK.

Not everyone is handed a nice neat package thats convenient and gift wrapped and uncomplicated - sometimes you have to custom build a method that works for the both of you. You may not need to sleep with other people or be involved with other people, but knowing the outlet is there if your man isnt anywhere nearby to be there for you - whether its emotionally or sexually, etc. - can be a comfort, and it can help you feel a bit more stable. Especially if you are someone that hasnt been in a relationship for 10 years, like me, and is used to my independence on top of everything else.

Whats sad to me is that those that did find someone, fall in love, have an exclusive relationship, get engaged, get married... all their little ducks in a row the traditional way, because it was possible for them rear up their heads with all of this judgemental hatred and wag their fingers and their tongues at everyone that wasnt able to find love the easy way.

Its as though, finding love and happiness the traditional way- means that just because it was easier for you gives you the right to hate everyone that didnt find it easily.

I hope you all enjoy your high horses.

Not everyone was as lucky as you and I understand that gives you the right to be awful.

I am not trying to be awful.

All I’m saying is that if one really needs something for their own sanity to make a relationship work; that relationship is not worth the time. Especially an open relationship. Needing an open relationship to make that relationship work does not make sense (again, to me).

I am not lucky; I just took my time to end a lot of other packages that didn’t fit my needs. If somebody didn’t meet all my needs, that person wasn’t for me, as simple as that. No man is worth settling for. There’s thousands out there. I know relationships need work sometimes, but to me, too much work was an indicator of a ‘not a good match”
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    All I’m saying is that if one really needs something for their own sanity to make a relationship work; that relationship is not worth the time. Especially an open relationship. Needing an open relationship to make that relationship work does not make sense (again, to me).
    It's worth it to her, end of story.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Im in an open relationship. Its necessary for my sanity. I dont act on that, though.

Meaning, one man has my heart, but he doesnt have his thumb on me, especially cause its the kind of situation where you dont get to see each other very often. So I completely have the option to involve myself intimately elsewhere, I just dont want to. I can, but I dont.

This does not make sense at all !! You need the open relationship for your sanity but you are very happy in your relationship???

It does make sense. To me. And him. Theres no need to ????!!! at us. Im very happy, very very very very very very happy in an impossible situation that we cared enough to MAKE WORK.

Not everyone is handed a nice neat package thats convenient and gift wrapped and uncomplicated - sometimes you have to custom build a method that works for the both of you. You may not need to sleep with other people or be involved with other people, but knowing the outlet is there if your man isnt anywhere nearby to be there for you - whether its emotionally or sexually, etc. - can be a comfort, and it can help you feel a bit more stable. Especially if you are someone that hasnt been in a relationship for 10 years, like me, and is used to my independence on top of everything else.

Whats sad to me is that those that did find someone, fall in love, have an exclusive relationship, get engaged, get married... all their little ducks in a row the traditional way, because it was possible for them rear up their heads with all of this judgemental hatred and wag their fingers and their tongues at everyone that wasnt able to find love the easy way.

Its as though, finding love and happiness the traditional way- means that just because it was easier for you gives you the right to hate everyone that didnt find it easily.

I hope you all enjoy your high horses.

Not everyone was as lucky as you and I understand that gives you the right to be awful.

I am not trying to be awful.

I am not lucky; I just took my time to end a lot of other packages that didn’t fit my needs. If somebody didn’t meet all my needs, that person wasn’t for me, as simple as that. No man is worth settling for. There’s thousands out there. I know relationships need work sometimes, but to me, too much work was an indicator of a ‘not a good match”

To me its worth it. Its worth sacrifice and compromise and if you want greatness and to be amazed, sometimes you just CANT do things traditionally.

and I wish that was enough for everyone not involved, cause its more than enough for me.
  • StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Firstly, just NO. If I choose to raise my children to understand that people are different, relationships are different, and that it's their responsibility to live in a way that makes THEM happy, that's MY call...that's why I am the mom. But frankly, my kids have no clue, neither myself nor my husband "plays" at home, ever. My home life is perfectly stable, but thanks for assuming it's not.

We did not enter into an open relationship because we "weren't clicking in the bedroom". As a matter of fact, we click fabulously in the bedroom, and even after 10 years together are very frequently intimate with each other (in a sexual sense).

As for "You both made a commitment to only be with each other", I am curious to know how you know what me and my husband committed to, and what our vows were? You assume that everyone has the same views on fidelity as you do. To ME fidelity is something completely different, and just because MY definition and YOUR definition are different, that doesn't make me uncommitted, or uncaring.

Our relationship is extremely committed, very close and a lot of laughs. We sleep with other people, but we love on each other. My husband doesn't "cheat" on me...cheating means sneaking, and there is nothing sneaky here.

Basically, you are assuming that everyone is like you. What works for you in weight loss doesn't work for everyone...likewise, what works for your marriage doesn't work for everyone. You don't see me sitting here telling you that YOUR relationship is uncommitted just because you have a closed mind, so please don't assume mine is just because I can separate sex and love.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of being in a relationship if you're gonna swing.

Swinging is a hobbie, just like camping, boating or any other activity that couples like to do together.

totally agree about swinging being a hobby for some people :)
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If your married FORGET ABOUT IT!!! this works well with people who are just dating, but marriage is a different story
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    "If your married FORGET ABOUT IT!!! this works well with people who are just dating, but marriage is a different story"

Nonsense. I know several married couples who have been successfully in open relationships for year. It's not a flippant matter to go ahead with and couples who are properly committed to each other are doomed to failure trying something that needs as much trust and faith in each other as swinging or polyamory.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I could never!! O.O
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    It's not for me, but if it works for you, go for it!

When I commit to a relationship, I do it 100% and REFUSE to bring another person into the mix. I expect the same level of commitment from my partner.

If I'm with a man who wants an open relationship, the door is OPEN and he can GTFO anytime he wants. To me: open relationship = cheating without consequences.
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I could never go there but to each his/her own. I could never be into somethin like that because I can't be sexual outside of a love relationship.

:noway: I couldn't do it. I know myself- I may be sexually attracted to someone else- physically- but I could never BE physically sexual with them unless I was in love. So with that said, I love my BF and that's that. But if it works for you, hey then it works for you.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'm in an open relationship. It's not easy and we only play with other people when things are good between us. During times of stress we give it a break in order to make sure we're totally there for each other in times of need.

It's not easy, but if you're of the right mindset for it it can be wonderfully rewarding and fun.