Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America?

Options

Replies

• flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    "I am the same decaying organic matter as everything else." Pessimistic, nihilistic BS.

:laugh: Let's get back together in 500 years to revisit the issue, shall we? You can explain to me then how all your hard work and dominance of nature made your outcome significantly different from the outcome of every other human being currently alive.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly. I just think it's true for women, too.

And I suppose I don't see any "masculinity crisis" because all my brothers are the same way, and so is my husband. And just like Dad, they're not only really hard working men, but my brothers are all amazing cooks as well.

I love that I grew up in a "traditional" family - my folks married in 1954 and I had a stay at home mom until after I graduated high school - but the women in my family learned how to do basic home and auto repairs, and the men all learned how to cook and sew and do "women's work."
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

I don't think being gay is less manly, but it is something which really bothers the machismo pumped up misogynists, so I use it to make a point, that by caring so much about what others think about them, they are in fact epitomising what they most fear.

No offense intended to homosexuals at all. Just to misogynists. I intend to offend them a lot.

I agree about hating misogyny. I think gay and straight can be misogynists. Being sexually attracted to women doesn't mean you respect women. I know you probably weren't refuting that, just saying.

Oh I agree. I imagine the OP is sexually attracted to women, as are most of the pumped up testosterone heads on here, but they seem to have little respect for us. And no, opening doors and wanting to feel protective isn't respect. Respect is acknowledging someone as an equal.

Actually I do have respect for women who deserve it. I treat women great. I am big into 50/50 and respect. The problem is not with me, its that finding women who respect me or others. I have never cheated, hit, or verbally abused a woman. I am too trusting though, which has bit me in the *kitten* a few times. When Im with someone, I dont flirt, cheat, kiss, or even give out my number to other women so dont say I dont respect women. Ive been cheated on many times because im too trusting and let them hang out with whoever they want.

Not many guys let their women hang out with Exes or other guys. I support and push women to do whatever they want to do that makes them happy or to meet their goals. I try to be best friends with whoever I am dating. I have been through hell trying to find women who are not controlling, that is respectful, doesnt cheat, and is nice so dont just think men are bad, its not a gender thing, there are bad in both but I am not one of them. Just because I am not a fan of skinny jeans and thick rimmed glasses doesnt mean I dont respect women, come women, wtf.

SO what is the big deal about hipsters not being masculinity? Its my opinion and clearly many others. I am sure they know they are not and are ok with that. I know many say they dont really believe in male or female gender roles and separation. That is fine, they know it and are ok with it so why all the hate for saying what they are ok with. They dont like the way me and many of the guys on here are like and we dont like the way they are so it seems perfectly fine. Some of you has said some mean things and to be honest, we could say some mean things back but we dont because we dont like hurting people. The thing that bothers me is that me and others have stated how rude hipsters are to many but no one cares about that, so instead many women decided to be mean to us too. No one ever said, not all of them are like that so please dont judge them all instead most women attacked us and called us names. Yeah, you really showed us.

Hey OP! You came back!
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    LOL. Masculinity and femininity are socially constructed, our expectations of the way men and women should behave are not based on their biological sex but what we have been socialized to believe a man and women should act. Men and women should be free to act in which way they choose whether it conforms to the expectations of society.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    "I am the same decaying organic matter as everything else." Pessimistic, nihilistic BS.

:laugh: Let's get back together in 500 years to revisit the issue, shall we? You can explain to me then how all your hard work and dominance of nature made your outcome significantly different from the outcome of every other human being currently alive.

Really awesome outlook you have. I am sure it's working out great in your life. Good for you. Sounds like the anthem of every failed, miserable, worthless soul that every lived...but hey, I'm sure it helps you confront the fear of the unknown.

In the meantime, I will actually live a life of my own design and enjoy it. You do your thing, I'll do mine.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It can be such a wide open topic. It is all a matter of opinion in what is manly or not.

You know what makes me feel like a man, is my kids knowing they are in trouble just by the way I look at them..... and then 15 minutes later climbing into my lap and putting there head in my chest and saying, "I love you, daddy."

That is what makes me feel like a real man.

That, and my gigantic penis.
  • ubuntufav
    Options

I don't think being gay is less manly, but it is something which really bothers the machismo pumped up misogynists, so I use it to make a point, that by caring so much about what others think about them, they are in fact epitomising what they most fear.

No offense intended to homosexuals at all. Just to misogynists. I intend to offend them a lot.

I agree about hating misogyny. I think gay and straight can be misogynists. Being sexually attracted to women doesn't mean you respect women. I know you probably weren't refuting that, just saying.

Oh I agree. I imagine the OP is sexually attracted to women, as are most of the pumped up testosterone heads on here, but they seem to have little respect for us. And no, opening doors and wanting to feel protective isn't respect. Respect is acknowledging someone as an equal.

Actually I do have respect for women who deserve it. I treat women great. I am big into 50/50 and respect. The problem is not with me, its that finding women who respect me or others. I have never cheated, hit, or verbally abused a woman. I am too trusting though, which has bit me in the *kitten* a few times. When Im with someone, I dont flirt, cheat, kiss, or even give out my number to other women so dont say I dont respect women. Ive been cheated on many times because im too trusting and let them hang out with whoever they want.

Not many guys let their women hang out with Exes or other guys. I support and push women to do whatever they want to do that makes them happy or to meet their goals. I try to be best friends with whoever I am dating. I have been through hell trying to find women who are not controlling, that is respectful, doesnt cheat, and is nice so dont just think men are bad, its not a gender thing, there are bad in both but I am not one of them. Just because I am not a fan of skinny jeans and thick rimmed glasses doesnt mean I dont respect women, come women, wtf.

SO what is the big deal about hipsters not being masculinity? Its my opinion and clearly many others. I am sure they know they are not and are ok with that. I know many say they dont really believe in male or female gender roles and separation. That is fine, they know it and are ok with it so why all the hate for saying what they are ok with. They dont like the way me and many of the guys on here are like and we dont like the way they are so it seems perfectly fine. Some of you has said some mean things and to be honest, we could say some mean things back but we dont because we dont like hurting people. The thing that bothers me is that me and others have stated how rude hipsters are to many but no one cares about that, so instead many women decided to be mean to us too. No one ever said, not all of them are like that so please dont judge them all instead most women attacked us and called us names. Yeah, you really showed us.

Hey OP! You came back!

I only delete my account because I got so much hate mail It was crazy and these are the same women who says hate is bad. There was no reason for all that based on what I said. Im sorry but my friends should not put up with that crap, they should leave them. They dont make a stand or stand up for themselves and I personally think they need to be a man and dont let them run over them. Not sure why that is so bad.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Really awesome outlook you have. I am sure it's working out great in your life. Good for you. Sounds like the anthem of every failed, miserable, worthless soul that every lived...but hey, I'm sure it helps you confront the fear of the unknown.

In the meantime, I will actually live a life of my own design and enjoy it. You do your thing, I'll do mine.

How does acknowledging that your lifespan is finite prevent you from living life the way you want to? I would think life would be seen as more precious or important when viewed that way.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options

You clearly do not know what a man is. I wouldn't expect you to though. A man does what he wants because he is in control, he dominates nature. That means being in control of our physique and health. We aspire for greatness and make it happen, because we are in control. Masculinity is about confidence and drive and nothing epitomizes that more than bodybuilding.

One day you'll grow up and meet a real man and understand.

Wow, thanks for the laugh dude. Go lift something heavy and tell yourself how manly you are.

haha!
  • ubuntufav
    Options
    It can be such a wide open topic. It is all a matter of opinion in what is manly or not.

You know what makes me feel like a man, is my kids knowing they are in trouble just by the way I look at them..... and then 15 minutes later climbing into my lap and putting there head in my chest and saying, "I love you, daddy."

That is what makes me feel like a real man.

That, and my gigantic penis.

Good point with the kids. Kids def will have that affect on us. I love kids.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Nice edit. Worried you were going to get modded?

Yes.
    It has nothing to do with what's trendy. What I have seen on this thread is a lot of very vain men trying to make out that the fact that they have a penis magically makes them superior to women, and that is deeply offensive, and more than a bit dumb. We are all humans, we are all equal and we all have the right to be whoever the hell we want to be without anyone else telling us what to do.

That is the entire sum of it.

Ahh, here it is. The insecurity and bitterness because of experiences in your life. Where exactly did I ever mention superiority? No, you associate muscles with a few men you've met along the way who were ****s and treated you poorly. There is the crux of it.

And what you just said about being whoever we want to be, was exactly my point. If I want to count calories, lift weights in a controlled environment, etc..so be it. That does not make me feminine. On the contrary, doing what I want and being confident in my pursuits is precisely the defining characteristic of a man (or a woman)

Not in the slightest, I'm afraid. I have been with my husband since we were teenagers. I haven't had a lot to do with other men, besides my friends. In fact the worst men I have encountered are little scrawny short guys with something to prove.

It's the attitudes on this website I am talking about. I have seen more sexism and offensive opinions on here than in 35 years of living in the UK.
  • ubuntufav
    Options

Yes.
    It has nothing to do with what's trendy. What I have seen on this thread is a lot of very vain men trying to make out that the fact that they have a penis magically makes them superior to women, and that is deeply offensive, and more than a bit dumb. We are all humans, we are all equal and we all have the right to be whoever the hell we want to be without anyone else telling us what to do.

Ahh, here it is. The insecurity and bitterness because of experiences in your life. Where exactly did I ever mention superiority? No, you associate muscles with a few men you've met along the way who were ****s and treated you poorly. There is the crux of it.

And what you just said about being whoever we want to be, was exactly my point. If I want to count calories, lift weights in a controlled environment, etc..so be it. That does not make me feminine. On the contrary, doing what I want and being confident in my pursuits is precisely the defining characteristic of a man (or a woman)

Not in the slightest, I'm afraid. I have been with my husband since we were teenagers. I haven't had a lot to do with other men, besides my friends. In fact the worst men I have encountered are little scrawny short guys with something to prove.

It's the attitudes on this website I am talking about. I have seen more sexism and offensive opinions on here than in 35 years of living in the UK.

Tisk tisk. You just said you scrawny short guys with something to prove,. That is judging and demeaning. Just saying. So does that make you sexist? Some could take that as being judgemental and degrading to short men. Not all short men have something to prove. Just saying.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    That's for sure:blushing: Still my beating heart:laugh: Yum Yum!!

Not when I'm watching Shemar Moore on the Ellen show! That man is just too hot for words!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Yes.

Tisk tisk. You just said you scrawny short guys with something to prove,. That is judging and demeaning. Just saying. So does that make you sexist? Some could take that as being judgemental and degrading to short men. Not all short men have something to prove. Just saying.

I didn't say they did.
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Most definitely. I could expound on this topic exponentially but I will just say the lack of fathers in the home have left this generation with boys who don't have roll models to pattern themselves after and girls do not have fathers in the home to show them how a woman should be treated.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    A 23 year old thinking he knows what a "real man" is, is pretty damn funny.

Hint: It's just like being funny, cool or smart. if you have to tell someone you're any of those things, you're not.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^
  • CassiusKnox
    Options
    I love this. A bunch of men... worrying about their figures and counting up their calories (I presume, since that's a big reason most of us are here)... gathering up together to discuss their feelings... about how men aren't manly anymore. Oh, and a they're also crying about not having any male role models to boot. Are you sure this group is really the right one to discuss the "crisis" of the decline of masculinity in our society?

And for the record, I don't care if a man wants to keep in shape or discuss his feelings.... except when he's going to call out other guys for not being "manly enough".

^^^^ THIS ^^^^
  • CassiusKnox
    Options
    I love this. A bunch of men... worrying about their figures and counting up their calories (I presume, since that's a big reason most of us are here)... gathering up together to discuss their feelings... about how men aren't manly anymore. Oh, and a they're also crying about not having any male role models to boot. Are you sure this group is really the right one to discuss the "crisis" of the decline of masculinity in our society?

And for the record, I don't care if a man wants to keep in shape or discuss his feelings.... except when he's going to call out other guys for not being "manly enough".

You clearly do not know what a man is. I wouldn't expect you to though. A man does what he wants because he is in control, he dominates nature. That means being in control of our physique and health. We aspire for greatness and make it happen, because we are in control. Masculinity is about confidence and drive and nothing epitomizes that more than bodybuilding.

^^^^ AND THIS IS HILARIOUS.... Made my day... bodybuilding 'epitomizes' masculinity. Not raising a family... not fighting in a war... not staying calm in a crisis.... BODYBUILDING!!! Oh God... so damn funny.
  • aplusgeek
    Options
    I think the word you guys are looking for is "pussification". Or rather mass "pussification".
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

^^^^ AND THIS IS HILARIOUS.... Made my day... bodybuilding 'epitomizes' masculinity. Not raising a family... not fighting in a war... not staying calm in a crisis.... BODYBUILDING!!! Oh God... so damn funny.

Oh yeah, because killing men at the orders of your superior is so masculine. Raising a family is also just as masculine. Why limit yourself?

****ing jealous insecure *****es in this thread