Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America?

Options

Replies

• poshcouture
    Options
    Nothing like proving masculinity by arguing about masculinity.
  • ubuntufav
    Options

I don't think being gay is less manly, but it is something which really bothers the machismo pumped up misogynists, so I use it to make a point, that by caring so much about what others think about them, they are in fact epitomising what they most fear.

No offense intended to homosexuals at all. Just to misogynists. I intend to offend them a lot.

I agree about hating misogyny. I think gay and straight can be misogynists. Being sexually attracted to women doesn't mean you respect women. I know you probably weren't refuting that, just saying.

Oh I agree. I imagine the OP is sexually attracted to women, as are most of the pumped up testosterone heads on here, but they seem to have little respect for us. And no, opening doors and wanting to feel protective isn't respect. Respect is acknowledging someone as an equal.

Actually I do have respect for women who deserve it. I treat women great. I am big into 50/50 and respect. The problem is not with me, its that finding women who respect me or others. I have never cheated, hit, or verbally abused a woman. I am too trusting though, which has bit me in the *kitten* a few times. When Im with someone, I dont flirt, cheat, kiss, or even give out my number to other women so dont say I dont respect women. Ive been cheated on many times because im too trusting and let them hang out with whoever they want.

Not many guys let their women hang out with Exes or other guys. I support and push women to do whatever they want to do that makes them happy or to meet their goals. I try to be best friends with whoever I am dating. I have been through hell trying to find women who are not controlling, that is respectful, doesnt cheat, and is nice so dont just think men are bad, its not a gender thing, there are bad in both but I am not one of them. Just because I am not a fan of skinny jeans and thick rimmed glasses doesnt mean I dont respect women, come women, wtf.

SO what is the big deal about hipsters not being masculinity? Its my opinion and clearly many others. I am sure they know they are not and are ok with that. I know many say they dont really believe in male or female gender roles and separation. That is fine, they know it and are ok with it so why all the hate for saying what they are ok with. They dont like the way me and many of the guys on here are like and we dont like the way they are so it seems perfectly fine. Some of you has said some mean things and to be honest, we could say some mean things back but we dont because we dont like hurting people. The thing that bothers me is that me and others have stated how rude hipsters are to many but no one cares about that, so instead many women decided to be mean to us too. No one ever said, not all of them are like that so please dont judge them all instead most women attacked us and called us names. Yeah, you really showed us.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I love this. A bunch of men... worrying about their figures and counting up their calories (I presume, since that's a big reason most of us are here)... gathering up together to discuss their feelings... about how men aren't manly anymore. Oh, and a they're also crying about not having any male role models to boot. Are you sure this group is really the right one to discuss the "crisis" of the decline of masculinity in our society?

And for the record, I don't care if a man wants to keep in shape or discuss his feelings.... except when he's going to call out other guys for not being "manly enough".

You clearly do not know what a man is. I wouldn't expect you to though. A man does what he wants because he is in control, he dominates nature. That means being in control of our physique and health. We aspire for greatness and make it happen, because we are in control. Masculinity is about confidence and drive and nothing epitomizes that more than bodybuilding.

One day you'll grow up and meet a real man and understand.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Nothing epitomizes confidence like the need to change oneself through artificial means, in a safe, sheltered, and likely climate controlled environment? If a "real man" is someone who "aspire(s) for greatness and make(s) it happen, because (they) are in control," I have met plenty of "real men", and a fair number of them have been women.

What the **** are you talking about?! The entire purpose of life is to better our situation, be productive, create something out of nothing.

You, and other girls who bash men who care about their bodies, are simply insecure. You are rationalizing the fact that you continually settle for mediocrity.

Nothing is more pathetic than a person, male or female, who settled for mediocrity on his/her own life, and then hates those who aspire for more.

Edit: Look at your profile, enough said. It scream failure and weakness. "I am the same decaying organic matter as everything else." Pessimistic, nihilistic BS.

A 23 year old thinking he knows what a "real man" is, is pretty damn funny.

Hint: It's just like being funny, cool or smart. if you have to tell someone you're any of those things, you're not.

AND he is from San Francisco ;)

Oh good one! The gay guys here are far more manly than most guys I've met. They are confident and successful.

Insecurity gets you nowhere girls.

In this thread we have a bunch of insecure, generally unattractive, spiteful females (and a few males) who's outlook on life has been so perverted and warped by a lifetime of failure, that they no longer understand or appreciate life.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I love this. A bunch of men... worrying about their figures and counting up their calories (I presume, since that's a big reason most of us are here)... gathering up together to discuss their feelings... about how men aren't manly anymore. Oh, and a they're also crying about not having any male role models to boot. Are you sure this group is really the right one to discuss the "crisis" of the decline of masculinity in our society?

And for the record, I don't care if a man wants to keep in shape or discuss his feelings.... except when he's going to call out other guys for not being "manly enough".

Quite. The bigger the muscles, the less of the man, if this thread is to be taken as indicative. Caring about whether you come across as "manly" enough is so gay.

Oh please! You have made it QUITE clear in several threads that you are "intimidated" by muscles. You call them "unattractive"...the truth however is simpler and obvious. You are insecure. The word dreaded above all by women. Insecurity.

Except...I'm not remotely insecure. I am perfectly secure in my knowledge of an absolute equal footing with any of them men on here or anywhere else. I don't like men with big muscles precisely because so often they spout the same stereotypical c*** you just did. Your definition of a real man has nothing to do with real life or anything I have any interest in. That's not insecurity, it's intelligence. Lifting heavy stuff isn't interesting.
  • fteale
    Options

Hint: It's just like being funny, cool or smart. if you have to tell someone you're any of those things, you're not.

Awww, he's only 23? Bless! I'll let him off then, he's just a baby.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

I know. It takes all the sport out of it. :cry:

I knew everything when I was his age, too.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options

I'm 22! I know even MORE! :drinker:
  • trojanbb
    Options

Ahh yes your maturity is really shining through right now
  • fteale
    Options

Ahh yes your maturity is really shining through right now

Nice edit. Worried you were going to get modded?
  • ubuntufav
    Options
    @trojanbb I dont get wth is wrong with many of the women on this thread. Its our opinion man. Everyday I see threads about bashing men and its ok but as soon as someone says anything about hipsters, they react with hate and are vicious.

@angry women Why is it so wrong to say that my gays friends are more manly than hipsters? You women want to call them and fight with them too, they say it all the time because for some reason they like to go after straight men who act like men and dress like men. Its what they say.

I think what is going on is that its trendy to bash and hate old school guys. Out with the old and in with the new. Women find nerds and guys who look like twilight dudes and hipsters so I guess when we say we dont understand it or dont like it, it offends them so they think they have the right to attack us with way more hate and anger than us. If that is your preference then that is ok, its your thing, go for it. Whats funny is that they never say well these kind of men have these qualities and that why we like them, instead, women react to saying how crappy we are. My whole point is I dont understand it and with all your hate, I still dont because no one has explained it, instead just bash us who are not like them. Some guys like slutty women who are stupid but has big boobs and small butts, many women dont understand why and you bash and not like hose type of women too. How is it different?
  • fteale
    Options
    It has nothing to do with what's trendy. What I have seen on this thread is a lot of very vain men trying to make out that the fact that they have a penis magically makes them superior to women, and that is deeply offensive, and more than a bit dumb. We are all humans, we are all equal and we all have the right to be whoever the hell we want to be without anyone else telling us what to do.

That is the entire sum of it.
  • trojanbb
    Options
    Nice edit. Worried you were going to get modded?

Yes.
    It has nothing to do with what's trendy. What I have seen on this thread is a lot of very vain men trying to make out that the fact that they have a penis magically makes them superior to women, and that is deeply offensive, and more than a bit dumb. We are all humans, we are all equal and we all have the right to be whoever the hell we want to be without anyone else telling us what to do.

Ahh, here it is. The insecurity and bitterness because of experiences in your life. Where exactly did I ever mention superiority? No, you associate muscles with a few men you've met along the way who were ****s and treated you poorly. There is the crux of it.

And what you just said about being whoever we want to be, was exactly my point. If I want to count calories, lift weights in a controlled environment, etc..so be it. That does not make me feminine. On the contrary, doing what I want and being confident in my pursuits is precisely the defining characteristic of a man (or a woman)
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    After reading a guys post from yesterday "needing advice not related to fitness" I I would say yes. This was a 30 yr old man asking for advice on how to get himself to love again and how he doesn't know if he'll ever find it again.

I wanted to pull his man card............yes there is a masculinity crisis! Grow a pair and start acting like men again. Sweep a woman off her feet...........treat her like a queen............and reap the rewards!!! There's a few details to work in the middle too but c'mon guy's!!!!

Hmmm...I'm not sure if masculinity is being questioned here or if chivalry is. I don't think there's anything wrong with a man being a man - it's the biggest turn on for me. But c'mon! Opening doors, flowers just because, helping her cook, clean up the house ... don't you know you'll get more sex if you do some of these things.....I'm just saying is all.

Like this too :smile:
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

You clearly do not know what a man is. I wouldn't expect you to though. A man does what he wants because he is in control, he dominates nature. That means being in control of our physique and health. We aspire for greatness and make it happen, because we are in control. Masculinity is about confidence and drive and nothing epitomizes that more than bodybuilding.

One day you'll grow up and meet a real man and understand.

Wow, thanks for the laugh dude. Go lift something heavy and tell yourself how manly you are.

LOL!
  • ubuntufav
    Options

I am not vain, I wish my penis made me superior but the fact is, im just a normal guy. I just dont know why my friends put up with abuse from the women they date. Nothing wrong with that. It should be 50/50 but its not. Yeah I dont like hipsters because everyone I have met has been rude to me and made my female friends cry. Sorry that is a horrible thing. I dont like them and dont have anything in common with them, why is that so wrong? I like to hang out with guys that drink beer, eat wings, who say whatever, tell jokes, and watch and talk about sports, plays poker, and do outdoors stuff (not go to a rock climbing and not rock climb, just read a book).

You are right, we all are human but everyone is missing the point, I left because they kept trying to tell me what to do, wear, eat, and buy from. Also you and many are telling us what to do. Its a two way street. It seems because we are old school men with old school mentality, we are bad and deserve everything bad and we must be jerks. No, we are not. Im trying to understand the changes but no one has yet tried to explain it, instead they attack us like a badger.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Letting women define masculinity for you, is a lot like letting your kids define what a good parent is.

Go ask your grandfather, instead.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    instead they attack us like a badger.

WRONG. Honey badger don't give a fuuuuu****

XD
  • ubuntufav
    Options
    instead they attack us like a badger.

WRONG. Honey badger don't give a fuuuuu****

XD

lol
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I wish my Dad was still alive so you could tell him to his face that he was supposed to dominate nature, after a flood destroyed our home at age 42, when he had a wife and six kids to take care of, including a two week old baby Lorina.

Now THAT was a man.

Don't think he ever lifted a weight in his life, except for when he bought my brother a weight bench for Christmas one year, but that dude made Chuck Norris look like a pansy.

A man shows his true strength not by being in control (or believing his is), but in how he reacts to situations beyond his control. :heart:
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I wish my Dad was still alive so you could tell him to his face that he was supposed to dominate nature, after a flood destroyed our home at age 42, when he had a wife and six kids to take care of, including a two week old baby Lorina.

Now THAT was a man.

Don't think he ever lifted a weight in his life, except for when he bought my brother a weight bench for Christmas one year, but that dude made Chuck Norris look like a pansy.

A man shows his true strength not by being in control (or believing his is), but in how he reacts to situations beyond his control. :heart:

I agree wholeheartedly. I just think it's true for women, too.