Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America?

Options

Replies

• ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I love this. A bunch of men... worrying about their figures and counting up their calories (I presume, since that's a big reason most of us are here)... gathering up together to discuss their feelings... about how men aren't manly anymore. Oh, and a they're also crying about not having any male role models to boot. Are you sure this group is really the right one to discuss the "crisis" of the decline of masculinity in our society?

And for the record, I don't care if a man wants to keep in shape or discuss his feelings.... except when he's going to call out other guys for not being "manly enough".

You clearly do not know what a man is. I wouldn't expect you to though. A man does what he wants because he is in control, he dominates nature. That means being in control of our physique and health. We aspire for greatness and make it happen, because we are in control. Masculinity is about confidence and drive and nothing epitomizes that more than bodybuilding.

One day you'll grow up and meet a real man and understand.

^^^^ AND THIS IS HILARIOUS.... Made my day... bodybuilding 'epitomizes' masculinity. Not raising a family... not fighting in a war... not staying calm in a crisis.... BODYBUILDING!!! Oh God... so damn funny.

Oh yeah, because killing men at the orders of your superior is so masculine. Raising a family is also just as masculine. Why limit yourself?

****ing jealous insecure *****es in this thread
    He's jealous and insecure b/c WHY??

And 'killing men at the orders of your superior is so masculine- HOW ABOUT THEY ARE FIGHTING SO THAT YOU CAN CONTINUE TO LIVE THE WAY YOU LIVE!!! So that you, and everyone else can remain free, and safe. One thing I can't and won't stand for is someone downgrading our Military- THEY'RE THE REASON you CAN go bodybuild .

And as far as raising a family- IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO STEP UP AND TAKE CARE OF THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES. Too many "men" out there helping to create kids and then taking off b/c they're too concerned with THEIR DAMN SELF..
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I love this. A bunch of men... worrying about their figures and counting up their calories (I presume, since that's a big reason most of us are here)... gathering up together to discuss their feelings... about how men aren't manly anymore. Oh, and a they're also crying about not having any male role models to boot. Are you sure this group is really the right one to discuss the "crisis" of the decline of masculinity in our society?

And for the record, I don't care if a man wants to keep in shape or discuss his feelings.... except when he's going to call out other guys for not being "manly enough".

You clearly do not know what a man is. I wouldn't expect you to though. A man does what he wants because he is in control, he dominates nature. That means being in control of our physique and health. We aspire for greatness and make it happen, because we are in control. Masculinity is about confidence and drive and nothing epitomizes that more than bodybuilding.

^^^^ AND THIS IS HILARIOUS.... Made my day... bodybuilding 'epitomizes' masculinity. Not raising a family... not fighting in a war... not staying calm in a crisis.... BODYBUILDING!!! Oh God... so damn funny.

Oh yeah, because killing men at the orders of your superior is so masculine. Raising a family is also just as masculine. Why limit yourself?

And 'killing men at the orders of your superior is so masculine- HOW ABOUT THEY ARE FIGHTING SO THAT YOU CAN CONTINUE TO LIVE THE WAY YOU LIVE!!! So that you, and everyone else can remain free, and safe. One thing I can't and won't stand for is someone downgrading our Military- THEY'RE THE REASON you CAN go bodybuild .

And as far as raising a family- IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO STEP UP AND TAKE CARE OF THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES. Too many "men" out there helping to create kids and then taking off b/c they're too concerned with THEIR DAMN SELF..

713-why-u-mad-thou.jpg
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Quite. The bigger the muscles, the less of the man, if this thread is to be taken as indicative. Caring about whether you come across as "manly" enough is so gay.

Oh please! You have made it QUITE clear in several threads that you are "intimidated" by muscles. You call them "unattractive"...the truth however is simpler and obvious. You are insecure. The word dreaded above all by women. Insecurity.

Except...I'm not remotely insecure. I am perfectly secure in my knowledge of an absolute equal footing with any of them men on here or anywhere else. I don't like men with big muscles precisely because so often they spout the same stereotypical c*** you just did. Your definition of a real man has nothing to do with real life or anything I have any interest in. That's not insecurity, it's intelligence. Lifting heavy stuff isn't interesting.

I'm the same way--a man who counts calories---uuuh. big turn off--it's not like a complete game changer but it's rather unattractive TO ME. That has nothing to do with me being insecure. My BF is absolutely gorgeous and I love him that way--but counting calories is feminine TO ME and I just don't like it.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

I think it's a safer assumption to assume that bodybuilding is the epitome of vanity. Not always--but it surely doesn't epitomize masculinity.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    I think it's a safer assumption to assume that bodybuilding is the epitome of vanity. Not always--but it surely doesn't epitomize masculinity.

THIS!
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way--a man who counts calories---uuuh. big turn off--it's not like a complete game changer but it's rather unattractive TO ME. That has nothing to do with me being insecure. My BF is absolutely gorgeous and I love him that way--but counting calories is feminine TO ME and I just don't like it.

Ok so... what if I just say I'm 'watching' my calories rather than 'counting' them is that ok??? Does that help raise me up in your 'manly' stakes??? Or am I still 'feminine'. Just wondering 'cause jeez.... I'd REALLY like to lose some weight.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options

It can be said that you can see what a man is made of when the *kitten* hits the fan. During a time of action when what they are used to is broken (gf is pregnant, war, alien invasion, zombie apocalypse, Black Friday sale at Wal*Mart) is when you can see the character of a man. Where the guise of what society expects of a man is removed and he must act on his own will. Not the weights he has lifted or the beers he has drunk.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

If we all tell you that you won and send you a 1st place ribbon will you stop replying.......?
  • ubuntufav
    Options
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    It can be said that you can see what a man is made of when the *kitten* hits the fan. During a time of action when what they are used to is broken (gf is pregnant, war, alien invasion, zombie apocalypse, Black Friday sale at Wal*Mart) is when you can see the character of a man. Where the guise of what society expects of a man is removed and he must act on his own will. Not the weights he has lifted or the beers he has drunk.

EXACTLY!
  • ubuntufav
    Options
    Nice edit. Worried you were going to get modded?

Yes.
    It has nothing to do with what's trendy. What I have seen on this thread is a lot of very vain men trying to make out that the fact that they have a penis magically makes them superior to women, and that is deeply offensive, and more than a bit dumb. We are all humans, we are all equal and we all have the right to be whoever the hell we want to be without anyone else telling us what to do.

That is the entire sum of it.

Ahh, here it is. The insecurity and bitterness because of experiences in your life. Where exactly did I ever mention superiority? No, you associate muscles with a few men you've met along the way who were ****s and treated you poorly. There is the crux of it.

And what you just said about being whoever we want to be, was exactly my point. If I want to count calories, lift weights in a controlled environment, etc..so be it. That does not make me feminine. On the contrary, doing what I want and being confident in my pursuits is precisely the defining characteristic of a man (or a woman)

Not in the slightest, I'm afraid. I have been with my husband since we were teenagers. I haven't had a lot to do with other men, besides my friends. In fact the worst men I have encountered are little scrawny short guys with something to prove.

It's the attitudes on this website I am talking about. I have seen more sexism and offensive opinions on here than in 35 years of living in the UK.

Tisk tisk. You just said you scrawny short guys with something to prove,. That is judging and demeaning. Just saying. So does that make you sexist? Some could take that as being judgemental and degrading to short men. Not all short men have something to prove. Just saying.

I didn't say they did.

Guess what? I didnt say jack about women either nor did I say that looking gay was bad either. I was just saying I dont understand it but women ran with it and started name calling. I never said anyone should dominate others either. Yes, I think some men should be more of a man and stand up to people and taking crap. No one, man or woman should put up with crap. Alot of women on here put words in me and some other's mouths and then called us names. Grow up people, you have no right to say we are bashing people based on what they wear and then you bash us for alot of things. Quit being a hypocrite, you know you women have made fun of other women for what they are wearing. I see women make fun of people all the time, whats the difference? You judge other women the same way we do hipsters, get off your high horse and stop it. I need a beer after all this arguing.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

Yes.
    It has nothing to do with what's trendy. What I have seen on this thread is a lot of very vain men trying to make out that the fact that they have a penis magically makes them superior to women, and that is deeply offensive, and more than a bit dumb. We are all humans, we are all equal and we all have the right to be whoever the hell we want to be without anyone else telling us what to do.

Ahh, here it is. The insecurity and bitterness because of experiences in your life. Where exactly did I ever mention superiority? No, you associate muscles with a few men you've met along the way who were ****s and treated you poorly. There is the crux of it.

And what you just said about being whoever we want to be, was exactly my point. If I want to count calories, lift weights in a controlled environment, etc..so be it. That does not make me feminine. On the contrary, doing what I want and being confident in my pursuits is precisely the defining characteristic of a man (or a woman)

Not in the slightest, I'm afraid. I have been with my husband since we were teenagers. I haven't had a lot to do with other men, besides my friends. In fact the worst men I have encountered are little scrawny short guys with something to prove.

It's the attitudes on this website I am talking about. I have seen more sexism and offensive opinions on here than in 35 years of living in the UK.

Tisk tisk. You just said you scrawny short guys with something to prove,. That is judging and demeaning. Just saying. So does that make you sexist? Some could take that as being judgemental and degrading to short men. Not all short men have something to prove. Just saying.

I didn't say they did.

Guess what? I didnt say jack about women either nor did I say that looking gay was bad either. I was just saying I dont understand it but women ran with it and started name calling. I never said anyone should dominate others either. Yes, I think some men should be more of a man and stand up to people and taking crap. No one, man or woman should put up with crap. Alot of women on here put words in me and some other's mouths and then called us names. Grow up people, you have no right to say we are bashing people based on what they wear and then you bash us for alot of things. Quit being a hypocrite, you know you women have made fun of other women for what they are wearing. I see women make fun of people all the time, whats the difference? You judge other women the same way we do hipsters, get off your high horse and stop it. I need a beer after all this arguing.

No *kitten*. This whole website needs a group hug after this thread. But we can't. It isn't manly.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    No *kitten*. This whole website needs a group hug after this thread. But we can't. It isn't manly.

It's fine. Just don't let the balls touch.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Yes.

I didn't say they did.

You keep saying things like "no one should dominate" and "no one should take crap" but then turn around and say "some men should be more of a man and stand up to people." Do you seriously not see how these statements are contradictory? It's only *saying* that everyone should treat each other with respect, but then if you're not being treated with respect you need to "be a man" and not take it. So what is a woman who doesn't let someone treat her disrespectfully? Is she a "real man"? How does letting someone treat you disrespectfully have anything at all to do with being a "man"?
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I wanted to pull his man card............yes there is a masculinity crisis! Grow a pair and start acting like men again. Sweep a woman off her feet...........treat her like a queen............and reap the rewards!!! There's a few details to work in the middle too but c'mon guy's!!!!

No in my house there isn't! These skinny boys with their skinny jeans and more hair and eye product than I wear in a week are IMHO not attractive. I want a MAN and everything that comes with him: his physical strength, protective nature over his family, his need to be the "head of household", all of it. Because being a man includes RESPONSIBILITY for your family, and (above all) treating your wife with respect and love. My husband does all this and more, and he is an unquestionable alpha male. But every alpha male needs an alpha female or the pack won't survive. Partnership, not domination. And yes, I :heart: that he can pick me up and carry me around - and I am no small girl - but he makes me feel girly, as it should be. I should NEVER ask my MAN to borrow his eyeliner.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It can be such a wide open topic. It is all a matter of opinion in what is manly or not.

You know what makes me feel like a man, is my kids knowing they are in trouble just by the way I look at them..... and then 15 minutes later climbing into my lap and putting there head in my chest and saying, "I love you, daddy."

That is what makes me feel like a real man.

That, and my gigantic penis.

OK, this made me LMAO :laugh: :laugh:
  • ubuntufav
    Options

EXACTLY!

Why cant it be all of them including the weights and beer? I love beer. Why is everyone so uptight and sensitive? So is it wrong for men to call anther guy a p**sy for not being able to eat the hottest hot wings in a joking manner? Is picking on your guy friends bad now? Everyone is so scare they are going to hurt someone's feelings. I am not touching the military or the dads out there because they are more of a man than me, it takes a real man to go through those things. I am man, there are many things the defines a man. There is no need to bash people who lift, that is stereotyping people and if im correct, isnt that what most people on this thread mad about? Some my friends are into lifting and they are some of the nicest guys out there, yeah some are jerks and always try send women pics of their p*nis but not all are like that. They just take pride in their body, its no different than the women who are bulking up. As for being sexist, im seeing it going both ways on here. Double standards. Also there are some women on this thread I recognize from other threads making fun of women how they dress too.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I read a study recently where basically it said that men have lower testosterone level nowadays and specially those in relationships.

Crap like "WE gotta goto bed" when all the man wants to do is have some alone time and watch late night TV is a norm and its basically neutering men all over. These gossip womens magazines aren't help either where every week theres a new theory about "how to control your man". Men have to take permission from their women when they can goto a bar to hangout with their friends lol.

But in all honesty, I cannot blame this on women. Men just donot want to take charge nowadays and they let their women walk all over them. They literally will do anything for their women if the woman says "I won't have sex if you don't do this or that for me". You just let somebody else take control of you. This kinda actions would never have flied with our parents.

Don't get me wrong, there are many wonderful women out there who know that men and women can be different yet equal and that you don't have to neuter a guy to live with him.

I personally donot wish to be married or settle down however I have had the pleasure of being with some incredibly amazing girls and I know they're out there. So men, don't settle down for some cheap trick who just wants a spineless turtle for a husband, grow a pair and tell them to shove it (right after they make you a sammich!)
  • desertowman
    desertowman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Of course. I see less and less men wanting to take care of their children and family. Some men would rather play in the street than grow up and take responbility for their lives and the lives of their loved ones. So yes, masculinity is in a crisis in America.
  • ubuntufav
    Options

Yes.

I didn't say they did.

Who says that? I hug my guy friends. Now if one of them tried to touch my p*nis then it wouldnt be.