Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America?

Options

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    q54SnCqpdE6N7-9uy8TXcQ2.jpg

Ha! I heart nerds. My husband is an engineer with fab muscles, a beautiful face, and glasses. :)

Haha I have this shirt too. I got it in engineering school and wore it when I wanted hw help of course. My schools nerds werent hipsters though
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I love this. A bunch of men... worrying about their figures and counting up their calories (I presume, since that's a big reason most of us are here)... gathering up together to discuss their feelings... about how men aren't manly anymore. Oh, and a they're also crying about not having any male role models to boot. Are you sure this group is really the right one to discuss the "crisis" of the decline of masculinity in our society?

And for the record, I don't care if a man wants to keep in shape or discuss his feelings.... except when he's going to call out other guys for not being "manly enough".

Im so drunkk right now, all I can say is learn to flip a pic before talking crap to others. It isnt that hard love.

Oh did I hit a nerve doll? I don't flip my picture because frankly, I don't care about it. Was that supposed to be an insult? Are you taking insult lessons from GLaDOS? Good try at a come back I suppose. And it isn't "talking crap", it's observation.

And you mean to tell me you're sitting around DRUNK posting on a calorie counting site about how men aren't "manly" enough anymore? Fantastic. My god, you can't make this stuff up.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Why do people care? The problem in America is more about the fact that people aren't "free" to be what they are dispite all the commercials and retoric. America - land of the "free to be like me". If you all aren't carbon copies of each other then people go all ape **** on each other. Let people live and screw off! I dont shop at American Apparel - I do dress well but arent skinny nor am i a Hipster. I think people confuse Masucline with what makes someone worthwhile. People associate masculine with rednecks - tough guys who cant keep a job because they are too busy being "masculine". I have a great job - make a great wage and have these self professed chicken-wing eating "masculine" guys over to paint my fence and clean out my shed. Now i'll go back to counting my calories.....
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    2yjv7t4.jpg
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Honestly: Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America? Are more men allowing women to dominate relationships?

Those are 2 completely different and unrelated questions.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    This entire topic is ludicrous. It's like the women's movement never happened.

*headdesk*

Someone call me when this website moves out of the 1950's.

:flowerforyou:
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    This entire topic is ludicrous. It's like the women's movement never happened.

*headdesk*

Someone call me when this website moves out of the 1950's.

:flowerforyou:
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:drinker:
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Nope. And the fact that anyone even wastes their time asking this question is sad...
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I love this. A bunch of men... worrying about their figures and counting up their calories (I presume, since that's a big reason most of us are here)... gathering up together to discuss their feelings... about how men aren't manly anymore. Oh, and a they're also crying about not having any male role models to boot. Are you sure this group is really the right one to discuss the "crisis" of the decline of masculinity in our society?

And for the record, I don't care if a man wants to keep in shape or discuss his feelings.... except when he's going to call out other guys for not being "manly enough".

You clearly do not know what a man is. I wouldn't expect you to though. A man does what he wants because he is in control, he dominates nature. That means being in control of our physique and health. We aspire for greatness and make it happen, because we are in control. Masculinity is about confidence and drive and nothing epitomizes that more than bodybuilding.

One day you'll grow up and meet a real man and understand.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Quite. The bigger the muscles, the less of the man, if this thread is to be taken as indicative. Caring about whether you come across as "manly" enough is so gay.

Oh please! You have made it QUITE clear in several threads that you are "intimidated" by muscles. You call them "unattractive"...the truth however is simpler and obvious. You are insecure. The word dreaded above all by women. Insecurity.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    2yjv7t4.jpg

That dude in the middle is the prettiest man I have ever seen. I have hearts in my eyes........
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a crisis. the only thing i'm noticing is men getting lazier and lazier. My sister has 2 kids works 2 jobs and her husbands stays home and plays video games. My 2 best friend both have kids and jobs but there husband/boyfriend stay home and do nothing.

My guy used to work but he quit, now I work 3 jobs and he plays video games. Why would I clean his house and make him a sandwich? If guys want to stay at home they need to learn the proper roll of a stay at home mom/wife/girlfriend. Clean, take care of kids, cook meals, grocery shop and take care of there girl.

If my guy worked and could pay all the bills I would stay at home and do everything for him, I have no problem with that. If he wants to act like a house wife, I'll treat him like a house wife.

^^^^ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sooooo true!!!!

This however you are the few who would do this sometimes its one who does all the work while the other one does nothing. Its sad.
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options

You clearly do not know what a man is. I wouldn't expect you to though. A man does what he wants because he is in control, he dominates nature. That means being in control of our physique and health. We aspire for greatness and make it happen, because we are in control. Masculinity is about confidence and drive and nothing epitomizes that more than bodybuilding.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Nothing epitomizes confidence like the need to change oneself through artificial means, in a safe, sheltered, and likely climate controlled environment? If a "real man" is someone who "aspire(s) for greatness and make(s) it happen, because (they) are in control," I have met plenty of "real men", and a fair number of them have been women.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A 23 year old thinking he knows what a "real man" is, is pretty damn funny.

Hint: It's just like being funny, cool or smart. if you have to tell someone you're any of those things, you're not.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    A 23 year old thinking he knows what a "real man" is, is pretty damn funny.

Hint: It's just like being funny, cool or smart. if you have to tell someone you're any of those things, you're not.

AND he is from San Francisco ;)
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    2yjv7t4.jpg
    Omg, I think I just might love the man who posted this. What is this feeling within the cavity of my chest?

I'd also like to add that there's really no use "discussing" anything with some of the people here. They are literally too stupid to insult. First the OP, then someone getting upset and arguing with people who he couldn't tell were being sarcastic. Yeah. Yeah, I see why this thread has become so popular.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    After reading a guys post from yesterday "needing advice not related to fitness" I I would say yes. This was a 30 yr old man asking for advice on how to get himself to love again and how he doesn't know if he'll ever find it again.

I wanted to pull his man card............yes there is a masculinity crisis! Grow a pair and start acting like men again. Sweep a woman off her feet...........treat her like a queen............and reap the rewards!!! There's a few details to work in the middle too but c'mon guy's!!!!

I like you!! :tongue:

Everyone defines masculinity differently. I'm old fashioned, so is my husband. (both of us raised by grandparents) He is a gentleman, and trust me, I was a pursuit for him :smokin: . I think there is something charming and masculine about a gentleman.

What does the OP define as a real man?
    If a guy is brash and abusive, that is not a real man. On the next note - if a guy blubbers over everything, that would drive me nuts! Not very "Manly" imo. So it really depends on where you stand.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    People have the freedom to diversify, so they have done so. So is there a crisis; no.
  • poshcouture
    Options
    After reading a guys post from yesterday "needing advice not related to fitness" I I would say yes. This was a 30 yr old man asking for advice on how to get himself to love again and how he doesn't know if he'll ever find it again.

I wanted to pull his man card............yes there is a masculinity crisis! Grow a pair and start acting like men again. Sweep a woman off her feet...........treat her like a queen............and reap the rewards!!! There's a few details to work in the middle too but c'mon guy's!!!!

Hmmm...I'm not sure if masculinity is being questioned here or if chivalry is. I don't think there's anything wrong with a man being a man - it's the biggest turn on for me. But c'mon! Opening doors, flowers just because, helping her cook, clean up the house ... don't you know you'll get more sex if you do some of these things.....I'm just saying is all.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Wow, thanks for the laugh dude. Go lift something heavy and tell yourself how manly you are.