Do you think there's a masculinity crisis in America?

Options

Replies

• Cristofori44
    Options
    I despise hipsters and everything they represent. THAT is the most emasculating trend in the past 20 years.

LOL @ "The hipster wears fashionable clothing from places like Urban Outfitters and American Apparel. "

The ripped jean shorts with a beard and scrawny legs look is so overplayed...makes me gag every time I see it, which is about 50x a day.

and the fixed gear bike...dude you are not cool just because you ride a bike to work, the same bike that all your friends also ride everywhere and cling to as a symbol of their identity. You know what is cool... my huge *kitten* V8 engine that burns through gas like a cruise ship.

You're cool because of your car? How is that different from a hipster thinking they are cool because of a bike?
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem is the lack of male role models in the post-war era. We have a generation of men (including me) who were raised by single mothers, taught by women in elementary school and high school, and most of us didn't play team sports with other men. So no male role models about how to be a man without being a *kitten*.
  • deads99
    deads99 Posts: 77
    Options
    Not in my house. My girl cooks for me and in return I let her ride my junk all she wants.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I love this. A bunch of men... worrying about their figures and counting up their calories (I presume, since that's a big reason most of us are here)... gathering up together to discuss their feelings... about how men aren't manly anymore. Oh, and a they're also crying about not having any male role models to boot. Are you sure this group is really the right one to discuss the "crisis" of the decline of masculinity in our society?

And for the record, I don't care if a man wants to keep in shape or discuss his feelings.... except when he's going to call out other guys for not being "manly enough".
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Yes there is a crisis, but it has nothing to do with pink shirts, fruity drinks, or men being domineering. People equate being a manly man with being a womanizer or a wife beater now days and it's just not true.

A real man does what's right no matter what it costs him. A real man stands up for those who are weaker than him. A real man provides for his family. A real man loves sacrificially. A real man is not afraid of things that may be considered "girly", but neither is he obsessed with being "girly". A real man loves ONE woman, he does NOT "spread his seed". A real man treats his woman like a queen. A real man takes the lead in the relationship, but never dominates or abuses.

There is also a crisis of women acting too masculine.

A real woman does not bully her man or manipulate him. A real woman embraces her femininity. A real woman wears dresses, makeup, and pretty shoes when appropriate ( to do otherwise is not "self expression" it is disrespect). A real woman is not afraid to let her man take care of her the way he should. A real woman doesn't sleep around and try men on for size. A real woman is modest. A real woman treats men with respect. A real woman is not a door mat, she does not let everyone walk all over her, but neither does she walk over others.

Umm... excuse me?

All men are real regardless of how they act and dress. All women are real regardless of how they dress and act.

But thanks, I didn't realize I had to dress a certain way and let a man take care of me in order to be a real woman. :noway:

This. I'm a human being, not some sort of house cat. I don't mind being with someone that wants to do things for me but I do not want everything done for me. I don't want to be coddled (at least, not always) and I don't want to be treated like a queen. Autonomy is good.
  • ubuntufav
    Options
    I love this. A bunch of men... worrying about their figures and counting up their calories (I presume, since that's a big reason most of us are here)... gathering up together to discuss their feelings... about how men aren't manly anymore. Oh, and a they're also crying about not having any male role models to boot. Are you sure this group is really the right one to discuss the "crisis" of the decline of masculinity in our society?

And for the record, I don't care if a man wants to keep in shape or discuss his feelings.... except when he's going to call out other guys for not being "manly enough".

Im so drunkk right now, all I can say is learn to flip a pic before talking crap to others. It isnt that hard love.
  • deads99
    deads99 Posts: 77
    Options
    This thread is gay
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    OMFG (and I have never before used that acronym in my life) - I think I have lost brainpower reading this thread. Apparently the OP has created his own definition of "HIPSTER" and this WHOLE THREAD WAS REALLY CREATED FOR THE OP TO EXPRESS HIS HATRED OF "HIPSTERS, " whatever the heck that even means anymore.

According to the OP anyone who talks about recycling, organic food, "flowers" (what does that even mean?), reads, drinks water, talks about buying local, is against using hormones in food animals and is against child labor is a "hipster." And according to his friend, whose various posts express a viewpoint that makes me wonder if suffragettes and other women who fought for equal rights are rolling in their graves, "hipsters" are men who have long beards and go barefoot and wear rumpled clothing - and these things somehow are "girly."

Oh - forgot to add that anyone who is against multinational corporations is also a "hipster."

I know!

I had never heard of the term hipster before this thread, but having gone off to google the term, I have no decided I probably am one. I think perhaps what you guys see as hipster, we in the UK call "normal".
  • fteale
    Options

Quite. The bigger the muscles, the less of the man, if this thread is to be taken as indicative. Caring about whether you come across as "manly" enough is so gay.
  • Jaimers92
    Jaimers92 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    YES. And the perfect example of this is my mother and father's relationship. She wears the pants!
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    I don't know why gay is come into this an insult. It isn't, and it doesn't make you less of a man. I hate when people talk about 'real men' and 'real women'. I am an adult male, therefore a real man, like all the other adult males. I don't see why it matters so much how much the population fits in with old and often arbitrary expectations and boundaries of what gender should be, who cares s long as we good people and happy.
    xxxxx
  • fteale
    Options
    I despise hipsters and everything they represent. THAT is the most emasculating trend in the past 20 years.

LOL @ "The hipster wears fashionable clothing from places like Urban Outfitters and American Apparel. "

The ripped jean shorts with a beard and scrawny legs look is so overplayed...makes me gag every time I see it, which is about 50x a day.

and the fixed gear bike...dude you are not cool just because you ride a bike to work, the same bike that all your friends also ride everywhere and cling to as a symbol of their identity. You know what is cool... my huge *kitten* V8 engine that burns through gas like a cruise ship.

You're cool because of your car? How is that different from a hipster thinking they are cool because of a bike?

Well, it's a lot less environmentally friendly. I'd go with the bike. Destroying the planet through stupidity = not cool.
  • fteale
    Options
    I don't know why gay is come into this an insult. It isn't, and it doesn't make you less of a man. I hate when people talk about 'real men' and 'real women'. I am an adult male, therefore a real man, like all the other adult males. I don't see why it matters so much how much the population fits in with old and often arbitrary expectations and boundaries of what gender should be, who cares s long as we good people and happy.
    xxxxx

I don't think being gay is less manly, but it is something which really bothers the machismo pumped up misogynists, so I use it to make a point, that by caring so much about what others think about them, they are in fact epitomising what they most fear.

No offense intended to homosexuals at all. Just to misogynists. I intend to offend them a lot.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options

I don't think being gay is less manly, but it is something which really bothers the machismo pumped up misogynists, so I use it to make a point, that by caring so much about what others think about them, they are in fact epitomising what they most fear.

No offense intended to homosexuals at all. Just to misogynists. I intend to offend them a lot.

I agree about hating misogyny. I think gay and straight can be misogynists. Being sexually attracted to women doesn't mean you respect women. I know you probably weren't refuting that, just saying.
  • fteale
    Options

I agree about hating misogyny. I think gay and straight can be misogynists. Being sexually attracted to women doesn't mean you respect women. I know you probably weren't refuting that, just saying.

Oh I agree. I imagine the OP is sexually attracted to women, as are most of the pumped up testosterone heads on here, but they seem to have little respect for us. And no, opening doors and wanting to feel protective isn't respect. Respect is acknowledging someone as an equal.
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    Big time issue. Guys shave their junk, wear skinny jeans and wear those fanny packs. They don't "shake it off" anymore, they dry the tip with a towel or toilet paper. Bunch of girlie men. To me its a simple choice. Have a girl walk down a dark alley. Walk with a guy in skinny jeans and a shaved chest or a redneck like me with hair on his junk
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    I think there is a douche bag crisis in America.

Look at you. Witty little aren't you? Hunnnnny, go to Austin, they would be so mean to you and then come back to this thread. I have been there and see how they treat over weight women. Its so wrong and hard to watch. You do not need to be taking up for them. I am shocked there are not many men on here defending men. There seems to be many real men with muscles and that act like men on here so its weird that they are quiet. I guess because its a thread about boobs or *kitten* so they dont care. lolz.
    did someone say boobs?
  • fteale
    Options
    Big time issue. Guys shave their junk, wear skinny jeans and wear those fanny packs. They don't "shake it off" anymore, they dry the tip with a towel or toilet paper. Bunch of girlie men. To me its a simple choice. Have a girl walk down a dark alley. Walk with a guy in skinny jeans and a shaved chest or a redneck like me with hair on his junk

Can women not walk around on their own in 2012?
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    Oh I agree. I imagine the OP is sexually attracted to women, as are most of the pumped up testosterone heads on here, but they seem to have little respect for us. And no, opening doors and wanting to feel protective isn't respect. Respect is acknowledging someone as an equal.
    [/quote]jmho, but I don't think the disrespect is a gender issue. I open doors for women but also elderly people. I think its more of a common courtesy than a macho thing. Just basic respect for others.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    always remember the person who cooks is the one in control cause either you wont eat or you might just get food poisoning accidentally :bigsmile: