Pet PEEVES?

Options

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    But one that really bothers me and hasn't been listed is when people use the phrase "I could care less" when what they really mean is "I couldn't care less." If you could care less than that implies you really do care.

Thanks for the chance to vent.
    Wow, I thought I was the only one who felt this way!!!! I have tried to explain this to people but they just don't get it!

I also hate it when they say "Same difference or It is what it is" those 2 phrases drive me insane!!

Memaw
    LOL - I would never have thought of "Same difference." That one is really annoying!
    Another one I hate but admittely still use is "No offense." We always use it just before or after we say something insulting.
    Check out this top ten list:
    http://welcometotheasylum.com/articles/toptenannoyingphrases.htm
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    :angry: Catty girls.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Inconsiderate people...people with NO manners
    If I hold the door for someone, would it be too much to get a thank-you

One time when my kids were both very young, I was holding one baby in my arms and the other by the hand and used my foot to catch the door for the person behind me and he just breezed through w/ out a word
    :explode:

I hate that. I used my energy to hold the door open for you. The least you could do is say thank you or at least acknowledge my presence.

What i do in that case? Very loudly say "You're welcome!" Usually drives the point home.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez, here's my laundry list:

1. Being a waitress, I loathe those people who leave what we call a "verbal tip". "Oh the food was so great, the service was awesome...we loved everything!" Then they leave me 10%. Thanks. I'd rather you tell me I suck and leave me a decent tip. I can't say to my landlord "This place is so great, I love living here, you're an amazing landlord...here's only half my rent!" Doesn't work that way.

2. People who come from other countries and don't bother to find out tipping eitquette.

3. ppl who post using poor grammer and text speak and use long run on sentences full of speling misstakes and sometimes after a sentence or 2 u don't even kno what they r talking about any more and u just wunder how they get thru day 2 day and then it also drives me crazy when ppl use pds as an abbreviation insted of lbs and omg i'm getting cross-eyed from typing like this! :laugh:

4. When people don't say thank you when I bring food or drinks to their table.
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    STOP TAILGATING ME!!! I am not a slow driver. I am normally in the fast lane passing people, but there is a limit as to how fast I am willing to go (normally 10 over). Don't be a jerk and ride my butt. ITS NOT SAFE! If you are tailgating me and don't back off, I will match the speed of the car next to me and slow you down more. Be polite, do the safe thing, back off my butt and THEN I will let you by.
  • KendalBeee
    Options
    like the OP, spelling errors annoy me. here are a few words that get confused A LOT:

they're/there/their
    then/than-- I don't even understand how someone can confuse these two, but I see it all the time!
    your/you're
    effect/affect

and no, I'm not an English major or even remotely close to one, incorrect spelling is just one of my pet peeves.

I totally agree, but I also totally never understood the difference between effect/affect.....can you explain so I can start using those words correctly?? lol
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    like the OP, spelling errors annoy me. here are a few words that get confused A LOT:

they're/there/their
    then/than-- I don't even understand how someone can confuse these two, but I see it all the time!
    your/you're
    effect/affect

and no, I'm not an English major or even remotely close to one, incorrect spelling is just one of my pet peeves.

I totally agree, but I also totally never understood the difference between effect/affect.....can you explain so I can start using those words correctly?? lol

Effect is a noun and affect is a verb. You can affect something or you can have an effect on something.

I think I have that right.
  • csnealey
    csnealey Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    People who want to blame God for everything wrong in there life when it was their own decisions that got them where they're at in the first place!!!!!!
  • cwvanek
    cwvanek Posts: 111
    Options
    Tailgaters

People who snap their gum

I work at a Dunkin' Donuts. ALL the donuts have little labels that say what they're called. Then people come in LOOK at the donut they want and call it something different. Then they get all bent out of shape when they get the wrong donut. I GAVE YOU WHAT YOU ASKED FOR. They have labels for a freaking reason! Sorry lol....

"Barbie Dolls". I know they're everywhere. They act SO ditzy and confused all the time. NO body is really that stupid. I know it's an act. Knock it off... it's not as cute as you seem to think it is.

People who drive crazy fast. I don't care if it's like 5-10 mph over the speed limit or something but I've seen people going 100+ on the highway. I'd rather not be killed in my car because you're acting like a moron. Lord forbid if one of my kids got hurt because someone was driving like an idiot. I'd KILL them.

Edited to add just one more :P

When people learn I'm vegetarian and they ask me where I get my protein or try to convince me that I'm doing something wrong by not eating meat. UGH!

Thanks for letting me vent :)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    When people chew their food really loudly or use "text talk."

I love telling people in real life "BRB" instead of saying "be right back" :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Chat board specific ..... when the thread title is vague so that I have to CHECK the thread to see what it's really about, only to discover it begins with something vapid like, "OMGah, so like anyways I'm just trying to say that I really don't know but I think...."

Maybe it's just be me being a total b!tch, but I like it when threads are titled appropriately (like hey, "Pet PEEVES?") and are worded in a fashion that I can quickly read and disseminate the point of the thread.

I will not take 10 minutes to decipher your poorly worded, run on paragraph of garbage to come to the conclusion that you want to know if it's really important to drink 8 glasses of water per day and if your 1 lbs weigh fluctuation is the result of not pooping.

1. Yes, this is a Pet Peeve thread, so I feel okay griping about this here.
    2. No, there isn't a thread out there right now long-windedly asking about water consumption and poop, at least not to the best of my knowledge. It was only a representation -- I try never to call anyone out here. That creates bad vibes. Not my intention.
    3. And finally, Yes -- I am in a rotten mood today. :laugh:
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options

I love telling people in real life "BRB" instead of saying "be right back" :laugh:

I do the same thing with OMG. :laugh:
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    my biggest pet peeves involve cell phones:

1. The cashier is doing her job, you should NOT hold your hand up and point to your phone. :angry:

2. I am TALKING to YOU, do NOT answer your cell phone AND texting while talking to me is just as rude:explode:

3. NO, you cannot make a left turn into a parking lot I am exiting while holding your cell in your hand. You need TWO hands to make that tight turn, and it is not my responsibility to move out of your way!
    (I actually got the finger on this last week:noway: )

4. I am your waitress, I do not have time for you to finish your call before taking your order. I dont CARE if your on business, so am I. :grumble:

5. I do not want to hear about your mother's gallbladder surgery while I am waiting in the line to buy my groceries.:sick:

6. You do NOT have to yell into the phone. I am 2 feet away from you and you are bursting my eardrum.:mad:

7. If you call me, and I do not answer, it is because I do not or cannot do so. Do not call me 10 times in a row expecting me to pick up. You may NEVER recieve a call back now!!:mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble:

Last but certainly not least
    8.Please do not text while going 80 mph on I-95. I would like to return home to my family tonight, and it is more likely you will kill me than yourself. :heart:

( wow, I feel better getting that offa my chest:blushing: )

I feel the SAME way! A lot of my pet peeves are because of cell phones!

My list also would include:

1) People who have to CONSTANTLY be funny/sarcastic. Nothing can ever be serious and they have to always try to be the funny guy. Don't get me wrong, I like to tell a joke or point out something that is funny, or even make fun (in a good way). But, the guy I work with constantly has to be the funniest guy, every minute, everyday. I'm annoyed today, can you tell??

2) Girls/Guys who don't go to the gym to work out. The girls who wear tons of makeup and look like they are going to prom make me want to gag. I do understand some people need to wear make up (or feel the need to wear make up), such as my sister with acne. But, don't get on a treadmill and make me wait in line while you barely move because you don't want to sweat or mess up your perfectly styled hair!! Haha!

3) People who don't understand that when you merge onto the highway....YOU have to yield...not me! I am sick of being in the right lane while someone is passing me in the left lane, and have people trying to merge on the highway and make ME move!... ugh.

4) People who don't take responsibility for anything and cause others to do all their work for them.

5) My boss who gets stressed over the smallest of things. Just lighten up, its not the end of the world!

And...pretty much everything else people have mentioned on here!!! I'm sorry if anyone's pet peeves are multiple "......." where they aren't needed! It is an addiction! :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    And...pretty much everything else people have mentioned on here!!! I'm sorry if anyone's pet peeves are multiple "......." where they aren't needed! It is an addiction! :laugh:

hahaha!! I do the "......" too, all the time! It's my indication I'm pausing/ hesitating in my speech!! :laugh:
  • quinnybear
    Options
    Oh jeez, here's my laundry list:

1. Being a waitress, I loathe those people who leave what we call a "verbal tip". "Oh the food was so great, the service was awesome...we loved everything!" Then they leave me 10%. Thanks. I'd rather you tell me I suck and leave me a decent tip. I can't say to my landlord "This place is so great, I love living here, you're an amazing landlord...here's only half my rent!" Doesn't work that way.

I can't tell you all the pet peeves that stem from my waitressing career! I have so many comments written on napkins about how amazing I was as their server and then they leave 10% or sometimes even nothing! Or when someone fills out a comment card (we gave these to every table) and they write that they wish they had more BBQ sauce... but they never asked for any! I was usually pretty good at reading customer's minds when it came to knowing when to bring to-go boxes/drinks/desserts etc. but if you want extra sauce for your ribs, just ask!
  • HealthyKt78
    Options

Ha. stuff like that doesn't bother me but when sum1 decId3s to type lIke thIs that bugs me. ----I can't even do it right.
  • KendalBeee
    Options

Ha. stuff like that doesn't bother me but when sum1 decId3s to type lIke thIs that bugs me. ----I can't even do it right.

when we are documenting when we called people at work, people will shorthand "called" as "clld" and I can't STAND IT. Its just two more freakin letters!!! They do that with a lot of other words too....some of them are ok (like instead of typing out provider every time, we (as a COMPANY) use "prv") but it should be easy to decipher....
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    But one that really bothers me and hasn't been listed is when people use the phrase "I could care less" when what they really mean is "I couldn't care less." If you could care less than that implies you really do care.

Thanks for the chance to vent.
    Wow, I thought I was the only one who felt this way!!!! I have tried to explain this to people but they just don't get it!

I also hate it when they say "Same difference or It is what it is" those 2 phrases drive me insane!!

Memaw

Come on Memaw,,, work with me here. I say "It is what it is" all the time,, but it certainly doesn't mean anything similar to "Same difference".

"It is what it is" is a short version of the Serenity prayer.

""God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference. ""

When faced with something exasperating - "It is what it is" means that this is one of those things that I cannot change. It is not right, and it is not fair, but it is what it is, and I will accept it and make peace with it and get on with my life. Squawking and fussing will not make anything better, it will not solve the problem. It will just upset people and give me an ulcer - it won't help. It is what it is.

My pet peeve!!! People who take every silly little thing and turn it into some B.S. "fable" with a "Moral" and some damn lesson about values. If I wanted any of that crap I'd just watch full house.

Uh-oh. :blushing:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    like instead of typing out provider every time, we (as a COMPANY) use "prv

Hahahaha :laugh: :laugh:

SHORTHAND: Clld prv today. Cnfmd prv.
    TRANSLATION: Yup, I called the perv and sure enough he confirmed he was a pervert.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    My pet peeve!!! People who take every silly little thing and turn it into some B.S. "fable" with a "Moral" and some damn lesson about values. If I wanted any of that crap I'd just watch full house.

I think the moral here is Casper needs to learn that sometimes it is what it is. :huh:

:wink: :laugh: *blows a kiss*