Men, would you let your wife be a surrogate mother?

Options

Replies

• Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    i think its all about the approch, if she had this idea, and her husband said HELL NO, guess what, she is gonna do it anyway, its all in the approch!
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I was a surrogate, but my husband at the time was supportive. It was not MY child, I had IVF I was simply an "oven"

This is how I would do it, it couldnt be "my" child.

I had a really easy pregnancy and a great child birthing body haha
    I would consider it a honor.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why the couple wanting a child couldn't adopt. There are plenty of children and babies already born that need homes.

I understand your point- but sometimes couples really want a child that is their own- and with surrogacy- the child can be.
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options
    I offered to be one for my sister in law, she has trouble carrying to term. They looked into adoption and it is VERY expensive and they couldn't afford it. For a random person I don't think I could do it.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    My husband and I would have a rational conversation about it and come to a compromise if there were one needed, but bottom line is my husband respects the decisions I make for myself and my body. So there's no "letting" involved there.
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Definitely a decision husbands and wives should make together
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Not only would I not agree to it (i dont go for "letting anyone do anything" im not her parent) but on another point I think surrogacy is bad.

Why do you this it's bad??

Again making no judgments on what anyone does...im a libertarian....

but..to me Surrogacy and In Vitiro seem to go against natural law and are selfish. I knwo this is easy for me to say, as someone who had three kids no problem (strong like bull lol)...but if we couldnt have kids...id look at the fact that there are thousands and millions of kids without parents and that our lot in life was to provide a home for them

Just my opinion...ill let the flaming begin.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    for a close friend, I would absolutely do it, and I believe my husband would be supportive. I would never do something without his support; however, I wouldn't have married him had we not been on the same page with most things.
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    I would absolutely be a surrogate mother for someone. I've never been pregnant before, but if a couple I knew really well asked me I would do it. In fact, with as many gay friends as I have, I'll probably wind up being a surrogate one day. I don't think I could do it for a random stranger, though. And if my fiance wasn't comfortable with me doing it, hell no I wouldn't do it.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Not only would I not agree to it (i dont go for "letting anyone do anything" im not her parent) but on another point I think surrogacy is bad.

Why do you this it's bad??

Again making no judgments on what anyone does...im a libertarian....

but..to me Surrogacy and In Vitiro seem to go against natural law and are selfish. I knwo this is easy for me to say, as someone who had three kids no problem (strong like bull lol)...but if we couldnt have kids...id look at the fact that there are thousands and millions of kids without parents and that our lot in life was to provide a home for them

Just my opinion...ill let the flaming begin.

I don't see what this has to do with being Libertarian. I see you using that often and as a Libertarian, I'm offended that you throw the term around like you do. Being a surrogate is selfish and against Libertarian thinking? Huh?
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Me and my husband have talked about it. This fool wanted me to sell my "eggs" and I said pfft I rather be a sarrogate. His responce to that was as a previous one here "Hell no I can barely put up with you when you carried ours!" LOL!!

But to make it clear although I would love to make a couple very happy if he didnt like the idea I wouldnt do it. However if my brother came to me no question about it im there.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I hated being pregnant with my own kid...let alone someone elses.

^^100% this. The reason we stopped at 2 was because we agreed we couldn't handle a 3rd pregnancy...not a 3rd kid!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Hell no. Carry someone else's child? No thank you. The ruination of her vagina is the sole responsibility of any sprogs I impregnate her with.

In all seriousness, I think someone unable to give birth should adopt so I disagree with surrogacy on principle. Becoming pregnant with someone else's child, IMO, is grounds for divorce. Saying "it's my body!" is just crap as the man will have to deal with you being pregnant for the 9 months.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I would never be a surrogate to another couple because I believe that conceiving your own child with so many homeless children in the world is a little selfish.

That being said, no man "lets me" do anything with my body - I am an adult, and I make my own decisions regarding what happens in my uterus.
  • Miribg
    Miribg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    "Let" me? It's my body not his. I would talk to him about and would try my best to see where he is coming from. There would only be certain people that I would be able to do it for (family and very very very close friends are on the list).
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Loaded question....

I'm a proponent of surrogacy in the right circumstances. I don't find fault in those couples (or single women) who desire to have their own children but for some reason, haven't been able to get pregnant. I don't know if I would be a surrogate for someone else's baby, but then it truly depends on who is asking. If it's a close friend or a family member that can't conceive and they really want a child of their own, I would consider it. But then again, that is something my husband and I would have to agree upon as a couple. If he's not okay with it, then we're not doing it. I see the virtue in adopting those children out there that are in desperate need for a loving home, but I can also understand how torn parents must feel when they cannot have any of their own. It's a tough and very, very personal choice to ask someone to be a surrogate (and for the surrogate to consent) as well as adopting.

In other words, I really don't think there is a definitive right or wrong answer when it comes to this. It's completely subjective.
  • fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    How much does it pay $$$ ?? We all have a price
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    ...'let'?

Eeeeeeesh.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I love being pregnant (most of the time, I have easy pregnancies) and would love to do it for someone else... provided they paid all the bills. I would hope my husband would understand "My body. My choice."
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Why is surrogacy bad? I want to keep an open mind on this. I'm a woman who can't carry kids and having a surrogate mom is one of the options that was considered. It was only overturned for now because of the expense and fear that someone would take off with my kid. :) I have had a friend offer that when/if we decide we're ready, she would carry. Adoption is another thought, too. I have a daughter, almost 18-years-old now, but men often want the chance to have their own child and I can understand that entirely.
    but..to me Surrogacy and In Vitiro seem to go against natural law and are selfish

Went back and saw the response, so now I know. I don't see a medical miracle of this as against natural law. Some of us have diseases that prevent us from being able to carry. You also don't know how devastating it is to be abandoned, left for someone else because she CAN carry a child and you can't and the man wants so badly to have his own kid. I would totally opt for adoption first, but will go whatever route also allows my guy to feel happy too.