"Eat More To Weigh More"

Options

Replies

• Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was eating around 1200 calories a day but after exercise my NET was 900 for 4 months. I only lost water weight mostly in the beginning, but then I upped my calories last month to 1490 and again this week to 1690. I eat somewhere around 1500 calories a day and my NET is now between 1200-1500 depending on the day. I've lost like 6lbs these past two weeks just eating more. I wasn't losing weight for two months and I was always hungry. Yes, I did gain like 5 lbs of water weight when I upped them, but eventually I lost it and a little more on the side. I think it was worth the wait, because my body def. feels like I'm not starving it anymore. Not saying this works for everyone, but it worked for me. Good luck to everyone & their weight loss goals! :flowerforyou:

Side Note: My BMR is 1490 & my TDEE is around 1800. So I'm eating the right amount now, then as before I was just starving.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later

Not worth your time!
    My cat "eats more to weigh less"....
    Squishy.jpg
    awww da wittle itty is sooo uite!!!:love:
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Ever wonder why it's so easy to put on weight?

Do you work for weeks to lose a few pounds and a few slip ups later it's all back on and twice as hard to lose?

That muscle you lose from inadequate caloric intake is the reason. With less mucle you will then gain faster, what you gain is fatter and it's also why it's harder to lose than the first time around.

Yup, you can lose weight by eating minimal calories. Fast even.

But you will also lose muscle. More than you would have if you kept your macros where they should be and calories up to an amount that keeps your body happy.

Who wants to fight that battle? I don't. The up & down struggle is exhausting and is what makes so many people give up and give in. They just throw in the towel cause this *kitten* ain't working. some people say they are full on 1200 calories but I believe that for most people that just isn't true. You gained weight in the first place from over eating aka too many calories. I LOVE me some food so I rather eat!

When you eat properly and have enough muscle you train your metab and become a fat burning machine that can indulge more frequently without consequence. Imagine that!

I want to get the strongest, healthiest, fittest me and stay that way for life. I learned this lesson the hard way. MUSCLE & fueling your body properly IS the only way to reach that goal.

Believe it or not.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    some people say they are full on 1200 calories but I believe that for most people that just isn't true. You gained weight in the first place from over eating aka too many calories. I LOVE me some food so I rather eat!

What distinguishes your post from the ones I think people are sick of is your clarification that for some it may be true, instead of a blanket "It's not true." So your post didn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, I agree with it. Though I eat 1200 myself, I'll often suggest that others consider eating more because there is no reason with their stats to eat that little. I'll also point out that your body does adapt to your intake and if you go too low immediately, you won't have anywhere to go that's healthy when you have less weight to lose.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Exactly.

There are times when cycling your calories down makes sense. Just not the way I want to live! I think the missing component that people who have tried eating more (not more than your TDEE just more than bare minimum) is muscle. Lifting weights and maintaining high protein is essential! I'm not saying it will work for everyone but I honestly believe that it works for the majority!
    some people say they are full on 1200 calories but I believe that for most people that just isn't true. You gained weight in the first place from over eating aka too many calories. I LOVE me some food so I rather eat!

What distinguishes your post from the ones I think people are sick of is your clarification that for some it may be true, instead of a blanket "It's not true." So your post didn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, I agree with it. Though I eat 1200 myself, I'll often suggest that others consider eating more because there is no reason with their stats to eat that little. I'll also point out that your body does adapt to your intake and if you go to low immediately, you won't have anywhere to go that's healthy when you have less weight to lose.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Ever wonder why it's so easy to put on weight?

Do you work for weeks to lose a few pounds and a few slip ups later it's all back on and twice as hard to lose?

That muscle you lose from inadequate caloric intake is the reason. With less mucle you will then gain faster, what you gain is fatter and it's also why it's harder to lose than the first time around.

Yup, you can lose weight by eating minimal calories. Fast even.

But you will also lose muscle. More than you would have if you kept your macros where they should be and calories up to an amount that keeps your body happy.

Who wants to fight that battle? I don't. The up & down struggle is exhausting and is what makes so many people give up and give in. They just throw in the towel cause this *kitten* ain't working. some people say they are full on 1200 calories but I believe that for most people that just isn't true. You gained weight in the first place from over eating aka too many calories. I LOVE me some food so I rather eat!

When you eat properly and have enough muscle you train your metab and become a fat burning machine that can indulge more frequently without consequence. Imagine that!

I want to get the strongest, healthiest, fittest me and stay that way for life. I learned this lesson the hard way. MUSCLE & fueling your body properly IS the only way to reach that goal.

Believe it or not.

Could not have said it better myself... Fueling your body is the key to getting good results...
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100 pounds following EM2WL principles, and countless other people are having great results and getting their lives back from the BONDAGE of low calorie dieting. This is not some weird quackery, it is basic science. Eating more than your BMR, and less than your TDEE (maintenance calories). I tried the low cal thing and it resulted in me losing my hair, energy, and hitting a six month plateau despite eating 1500, 1200, 1000 calories. I am fairly certain that those of you who claim "it didnt work for me" did not give it long enough to really determine if it was "working." Its truly sad to see people think that they have to starve themselves to lose weight....and not only that, but feel the need to ridicule those who are working hard to achieve their fitness goals in a way that is healthy and sustainable.
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100 pounds following EM2WL principles, and countless other people are having great results and getting their lives back from the BONDAGE of low calorie dieting. This is not some weird quackery, it is basic science. Eating more than your BMR, and less than your TDEE (maintenance calories). I tried the low cal thing and it resulted in me losing my hair, energy, and hitting a six month plateau despite eating 1500, 1200, 1000 calories. I am fairly certain that those of you who claim "it didnt work for me" did not give it long enough to really determine if it was "working." Its truly sad to see people think that they have to starve themselves to lose weight....and not only that, but feel the need to ridicule those who are working hard to achieve their fitness goals in a way that is healthy and sustainable.

^ This times 1,000,000!! Completely agree with you!
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    but feel the need to ridicule those who are working hard to achieve their fitness goals in a way that is healthy and sustainable.

That's how I feel too when people condescend to me or ridicule me about my calories without knowing me (or when I see it done to someone else), so I can relate. It's not ok on either side.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I tried eating at about 1600, didn't lose anything.

Tried at 2300 (based on my husbands calculations) didn't lose or gain any weight.

Now at 1950 (based on my own calculations) been losing a lb a week, easy.

*Shrugs* It's all about finding the right number for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Great post. I would bet that if the group was called: eat enough to fuel your body and lose weight (or something similar), no one would freak. I must admit, when I first visited the group it was to see what on earth they could be talking about. Then I realized: oh they are just saying diet sensibly. Okay, I'm on board with that lol. I think it's just the title that freaks people out.
  • Tickateeboo
    Tickateeboo Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Everyone keeps mistyping it as "Eat More To Weigh Less." Silly people.
    You're welcome for the correction.

Ha ha!

I guess it is down to WHAT you eat. Moving from 3 pies a day to 10 apples a day's gonna make a difference - non? :laugh:
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, eating less to weigh less really worked for me. I lost 145 pounds in a year and half at 1200 calories a day.

I also lost: my hair, my friends, my health, and my sanity.
  • mommamuscles
    Options
    Oh yeah, eating less to weigh less really worked for me. I lost 145 pounds in a year and half at 1200 calories a day.

So not worth it!!! Im glad to have my life back, and even though it will take me longer to get to my goal, I know I will get there eventually as long as I continue to work hard, busting my butt in the gym and giving my body what it needs to work hard for me! Besides...muscles are gorgeous!!! Who wants to be skinny?
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

If you're blaming all those things strictly on the numerical value of your caloric intake, then you're not putting blame where blame is due. For example, what kind of macros/micros were you running? As for friends, again not a diet issue unless you were friends with the wait staff at a restaurant and you stopped going there.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    To say that em2wl is foolery and doesnt work is not fair. Especially to those who have tried and proven that it does work. People would rather have a fly by night diet claiming ridiculous results then have something thats real. EM2WL is real and sustainable.
    VLCD are up and down, you might lose the weight but soon as you stop eating low calories you gain the weight back. You cant tell me its not true because Ive tried it and the weight came back. Eating more is not simply eating what you want and as much as you want. Its eating your TDEE -15% but above your BMR. I guess now you guys are going to say BMR is a fluke also.

Just because you wont except em2wl doesnt give you the right to slander the concept. Nobody has forced em2wl on any of us. Its a choice. Just like you have chosen to starve your body and lose lean muscle instead of fat, we have chosen to fuel our bodies, workout, change our bodies and lives.

To each their own and there is no need for the trash talk.

I eat more AND weight less and mighty pround of it!:flowerforyou:
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I eat more to weigh less! More veggies, more fruits, more whole grains, more lean meats, but WAY less calories. I'm about a 12-1400'er. My well being has improved majorly, so has my attitude, my headaches, my water retention, my blood pressure, my cravings, & my energy. I average around 1300 cals, no rapid weight loss here, about 1.5 lbs per week. I also workout about 4-5 times a week for 30 minutes. My life gets in the way too much to devote my whole day, or even a large portion of it to working out, for those that can do that, I'm sure they can definitely eat more because they burn so much more.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

If you're blaming all those things strictly on the numerical value of your caloric intake, then you're not putting blame where blame is due. For example, what kind of macros/micros were you running? As for friends, again not a diet issue unless you were friends with the wait staff at a restaurant and you stopped going there.

You keep eating 1200 calories a day, and you'll lose your friends too. Every single waking moment starts revolving around food. I spent 14-16 hours on MFP, reading recipes and planning out meals. Spent 1-2 hours exercising (and never eating those calories back) and guess how much time I was left with for sleep, school, family, and friends?

Where am I now? Recovering from bulimia. I couldn't take exercising so much, so I ate even less to makeup for it -- 500 calories a day. Then everything snapped: I started bingeing, exercised until I couldn't walk, moved on to laxatives, moved on to purging, and gained back 50 pounds in 3 months.

I'm not blaming 'eating less' for my ED, but I am blaming it for my obsession and giving a mental illness the means to come into my life.
  • mommamuscles
    Options

You keep eating 1200 calories a day, and you'll lose your friends too. Every single waking moment starts revolving around food. I spent 14-16 hours on MFP, reading recipes and planning out meals. Spent 1-2 hours exercising (and never eating those calories back) and guess how much time I was left with for sleep, school, family, and friends?

Where am I now? Recovering from bulimia. I couldn't take exercising so much, so I ate even less to makeup for it -- 500 calories a day. Then everything snapped: I started bingeing, exercised until I couldn't walk, moved on to laxatives, moved on to purging, and gained back 50 pounds in 3 months.

I'm not blaming 'eating less' for my ED, but I am blaming it for my obsession and giving a mental illness the means to come into my life.

Exactly.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    As someone who just turned 18, you had different caloric needs than someone like myself who is almost twice your age. This site wasn't designed for those under 18 for a reason. I'm not going to lose my friend, my hair, or my health eating 1200.

(Of course, age isn't the only factor.)