Why do people not allow the "under 1200" friend requests

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I find that the people i've dealt with that don't like eating are unable to be convinced to change. Me, along with many other people don't have the time to try and help every single person who can't understand the simple concept of healthy weight loss. I've tried helping a few people with struggles, but fell upon deaf ears. I'd rather have my time spent on friends who have their eyes on the true prize: healthy and normal weight loss. Than those who can't understand the healthy or right way to do things.
  • Shanda1987
    Options
    they probably wont except anyone under 1200 calories because that is starving yourself and they don't want to associate with anyone who is willingly starving themselves that's my guess
  • stagegoddess
    Options
    i don't have that but i did unfriend someone who kept complaining about calories, then people would try to help her with ideas and then she's only eat a few hundred calories a day. several of us kept trying to talk to her about it and finally i had to stop seeing it in my feed because it was upsetting to witness/ignored for being concerned and she obviously didn't want help.

i use MFP for support and basically friend other women in my age range with similar goals and problems. it helps me to feel like part of a collective instead of me against everything else in the world.

but anyhow, yeah, under 1200 is unhealthy for anyone--starvation mode is BAD.
  • mellym25
    Options
    If some people aren't allowing others who eat under 1200 cals to be their friend on here because they think its some kind of eating disorder are they not allowing people who eat too many cals be there friend as well? Under and over eating can both be eating disorders... and both need support.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't mind them as long as they don't do the "OMG I'm so fat, I ate 1201 calories today!" "OMG! I binged, I'm at 1062 calories today!" and my personal least favorite "Help, I'm at family functions where I have to eat, how can I make my family think I'm eating when I'm not."

When they post things like that, it makes me feel insecure about eating so much, even though I know I'm doing what is right for me. I'm not recovering from an ED, but my obsessive compulsive tendencies mean that I have to watch myself and be careful to not develop an ED. I'm also super competitive, so seeing people bragging about how little they eat makes me want to eat less.

Bottom line, those friends aren't doing any good for me and I am on this site for me.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Some people don't eat under 1200 on purpose. :( And what me? My bmr is 1250 and I need to have at least a 100 calorie deficit to lose!

You don't calculate your deficit based on BMR; you calculate it based on TDEE. BMR is what you need if you do nothing.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Just my two cents, my calorie goal on this site while trying to lose 1 lbs/wk is 1280 calories, I eat back some or all of my exercise calories, depending on how I feel....I hope I don't lose support until someone gives me a chance.

It sounds like most of you would, but it offends me when people state it in their profiles.

Just a thought :) I've only been on MFP for a few weeks now so still getting used to the site...thanks for sharing your opinions so I. Know some (warranted) background!
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    This is stupid and idiot Who would ever do this i dont know everyone has a away of doing things if they wanna eat less than 1200 calories let them while still supporting themmm... people who are saying they will not have anyone as a friend who eats under 1200 calories is ridiculuss..
  • Sage4041
    Options
    If some people aren't allowing others who eat under 1200 cals to be their friend on here because they think its some kind of eating disorder are they not allowing people who eat too many cals be there friend as well? Under and over eating can both be eating disorders... and both need support.

Spot on!

I can see why someone wouldn't want to listen to someone else complain about being a cow at 105lbs, but really? I try to eat 1200 or less every day (mind, this doesn't always happen) based on the fact that that's the range in which I lose weight. I eat healthy, I meet my nutritional requirements, and I feel better when I stick to this limit. Clearly I don't deserve friends??
  • KeriW626
    Options
    I personally have an ED, I am working with, I try to keep my daily intake 1200 to 1400. If I am friends with someone who IS NOT working on their ED and continually eatting under 1200, it tends to trigger me. That is my excuse I am sticking to it. If you have an ED and are like me working to increase your calories, I am glad to have you on my friend list. If you are eating fast food for one meal and filling the rest of your calories with beer, and this is on going, then your going too.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    and this is why i keep my diary private. no judging.
  • lisa27midd
    Options
    I have a daily goal of 1200 and do my best to hit it. I find it hard to eat so much and I do not get so hungry after the 6 meals I am already eating.

The main goal of this site, or the way I take it, is to encourage healthy habits. To discriminate those who do not hit the 1200 on purpose or not, is not assisting them in making the right decisions. With that said, it's everyones' rite to accept or not accept the people they want.

I see both sides, but I'd hope people don't think I am all for an eating disorder because I am still learning and teaching my body to reach the 1200 a day. I'm all about good vibes and helpful information. Good luck to everyone in reaching their goals and good for you in using this site as a help. It has a wealth of information : )
  • CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% with you.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'm here for me and to support people who are doing it the healthy way, so that I can learn from and be supported by them. I am not here to help someone with an eating disorder. Sorry.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options

Spot on!

I can see why someone wouldn't want to listen to someone else complain about being a cow at 105lbs, but really? I try to eat 1200 or less every day (mind, this doesn't always happen) based on the fact that that's the range in which I lose weight. I eat healthy, I meet my nutritional requirements, and I feel better when I stick to this limit. Clearly I don't deserve friends??

Exactly ! under 1200 can be a healthy goal. I have fat on my body and that fuels my activity, the essential carbs and protein can be had without going over 1200. I would love to have under 1200 friends.