Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get back on track but finding it difficult.

Hi Melwillbehealthy .... the best way is to start logging what you eat. You logged today, but it looks like you logged what you planned to eat instead of what you did eat? Trust me, it takes time to get into the habit of logging. When I first started, my logging on MFP was skimpy also, then I started carrying around a small pad that fit into a pocket and wrote down everything I ate, even if the measurements were 'eye-ball' by using that hand measurement trick I read about.

Then I switched to putting the info into MFP because it was so much easier to see reports and trends in eating that way. However, I did not start to lose on a consistent basis until I started to log ALL the food I ate, even if it put me at a very big over-eat. Now I have a much easier time of it.

Of course, I don't have little children to get in my way of logging. However, even you keep a paper log and then put it into MFP at a quiet moment in the day after the kiddies are in bed, you will be back on track. Start small. One thing at a time. Knowing what you ate and when helps the most to start.

Good luck,
    Niki

• jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I am going to have a personal best on steps today. I still have a couple hours till bed and am just over 16,000 Yay
  • ereilly311
    ereilly311 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, its been a few days for me to check in on here. I've been busy this week but also feeling kinda down. I don't like valentine's day and think its stupid but at the same time wish I for once had someone to do something special for me. This next week is also a rough one for me since it'll be a year since my ex and I broke up, and I'm still not fully over that relationship and our anniversary would be next week too. But that's my rant about that.

How has everyone's Friday the 13th been? Mine started interesting at school there was an electrical fire in the nurses office so the school was evacuated at like 7:20am and it was -15 out with the wind chill so that was fun. They ended up getting it contained and let all the kids into the gym since it was so cold out. But traffic was awful, I was like 10min late. By the time we got in the building at 7:45 is when first period is supposed to start, but they extended the bell to 8am to let everyone get in since traffic was so bad. Do all the other teachers out there hace Monday off? This is our first year not having President's Day off, a lot of people aren't happy about it. Who knows though we may end up getting it off anyways since we are in a blizzard warning yet again from noon Saturday to 8am Monday.

I haven't been writing my February goals because I have only been like half way s ticking too them. I am going to try to finish the month strong and go hard into March. I've been doing well with working out but I really need to focus on my nutrition.

Friday Fitness - I am doing kickboxing at least 3 times a week. I went this evening. I am also getting back to the gym to do the C25K program, starting brand new from the beginning again. I want to get back into doing some strength training too but I need manage my time better for it. I'm trying to get work outs in 5 times a week. Biggest thing though I really need to focus on my nutrition and stay with it.

Happy weekend everyone!
    Erin
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody.

Happy Valentine's Day
    Valentine's Day, also known as Saint Valentine's Day or the Feast of Saint Valentine, is a celebration observed on February 14 each year. It is celebrated in many countries around the world, although it is not a public holiday in most of them.
    St. Valentine's Day began as a liturgical celebration of one or more early Christian saints named Valentinus. Several martyrdom stories were invented for the various Valentines that belonged to February 14, and added to later martyrologies. A popular hagiographical account of Saint Valentine of Rome states that he was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry and for ministering to Christians, who were persecuted under the Roman Empire. According to legend, during his imprisonment, he healed the daughter of his jailer, Asterius. An embellishment to this story states that before his execution he wrote her a letter signed "Your Valentine" as a farewell. Today, Saint Valentine's Day is an official feast day in the Anglican Communion, as well as in the Lutheran Church. The Eastern Orthodox Church also celebrates Saint Valentine's Day, albeit on July 6 and July 30, the former date in honor of the Roman presbyter Saint Valentine, and the latter date in honor of Hieromartyr Valentine, the Bishop of Interamna (modern Terni). In Brazil, the Dia de São Valentim is recognized on June 12.
    The day was first associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished. In 18th-century England, it evolved into an occasion in which lovers expressed their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards (known as "valentines"). In Europe, Saint Valentine's Keys are given to lovers "as a romantic symbol and an invitation to unlock the giver’s heart", as well as to children, in order to ward off Saint Valentine's Malady. Valentine's Day symbols that are used today include the heart-shaped outline, doves, and the figure of the winged Cupid. Since the 19th century, handwritten valentines have given way to mass-produced greeting cards.

“Faith is taking the first step, even when you don’t see the whole staircase.” ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Tom
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Wow, the thread has been slow today. I guess we have a bunch of romantics who are all celebrating Valentine's Day. LOL

@erin--I'm also an unromantic soul who thinks Valentine's Day is silly. When my husband makes a gesture and gets me flowers or candy, I have to really bite my tongue to not make fun of it. However, he's learned over the past few years that candy isn't allowed, and he knows my general view of cut flowers is that they are a waste of money and just die in a few days.

@tammy--way to go on all those steps! As niki said, perhaps your son will come to understand the importance of the commitment he made as he works through the 1st 30 days.

@melwill--great to see you pop in. Could you do one of those Leslie Sansone videos where you walk in place? At least until the temps improve?

@niki--I love homemade split pea soup!

@txmom--that's sad about your grandmother's house. I had a similar feeling when my uncle sold our grandparents' place, but he was getting older and we were glad to see him move into a townhouse so he didn't have to deal with the upkeep. My sister's and I each got to choose a couple of pieces of my grandmother's jewelry, and one model car from my grandfather's collection. He worked for Ford his whole life, so I took the Ford Mustang. Really, the memories are in your head and heart, not the objects or places. I know that's probably small comfort right now, but it's all I've got for you. :cry:

@kathy--welcome to the thread! Great plan to walk at lunch.

@lori--I hope that awful cold goes away and you have a better day today. I hope this bitter cold weather takes a hike for both our sakes. I keep thinking I'm logging everything, and then I'll remember something when I'm driving or in class and can't stop to log it. I guess the scale will tell the story. :blush:

Sorry if I missed some of you--I will catch you on the next round.

Friday Fitness: (I don't think I posted yesterday)
    I hate not being able to get to the gym more, but between bargaining meetings and PT, there aren't enough hours in the day. Today, I did go and run on the treadmill, but nothing else. Tonight I will do my balance work.

Saturday Success:
    I honestly have nothing to report. I've not been great with food choices (and as I mentioned to lori, am forgetting to log everything). In addition, I couldn't get to the gym at all during the work week. I guess one small success is that my weight hasn't fluctuated beyond my normal 5-pound range, but that won't last if this keeps up.

We only have 2 more bargaining meetings scheduled, but I'm not sure we will come to an agreement in that amount of time. We were so far apart on the money that it's hard to be optimistic.

Very happy for this 3-day weekend. I had a very lazy Saturday morning. Now I'm at starbucks--need to get a bit of grading done, so I don't regret wasting the whole day.

February Challenge:
    Under weekly calorie goal: 1/4 weeks
    All-in strength challenge=balance exercises 3 x/week; PT 1-2 x/week; run 2 x/week:
    Week 1: 2/3 balance; PT DONE; 2/2 runs
    Week 2: 2/3 balance; PT DONE; 2/2 runs
    Week 3: x/3 balance; PT; x/2 runs
    Week 4: x/3 balance; PT; x/2 runs
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 55 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47,1/25 = 55:41)

Grading Goals:
    1. 14/64 BNW journals
    2. x/12 poem analyses
    3. x/60 Gatsby journals

Exercise Goals: (week 2)
    Sun--rest day (or dance party :smile: )
    Mon--gym DONE
    Tues--PT DONE
    Wed--meeting maybe gym NOT DONE
    Thurs-- PT DONE
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE

2015 mantra "Just 15 minutes"
  • ThrivingforMe
    ThrivingforMe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Brand new here. Well I've done my fitness pal in the past but never stick with it. I'd love to lose 120 pounds. No I NEED to lose 120 pounds. It feels really overwhelming. This is my first time trying MFP and trying to be active in the forums. My small success story for today was doing 30 minutes of cardiovascular today.
  • NK1112
    Options
    @ThrivingforMe … welcome to the thread. It feels overwhelming when you look at the whole enchilada … however, when you cut that down into smaller steps, it becomes manageable. Try for a short term goal of just 5% loss and see how much more doable it is. Good going on getting in your day’s 30 minutes cardio today. That’s a good start.

@Tammy … how far did you walk to get all those steps in? You inspire me to go for it.

@Erin … Sorry you feel kinda down. Ditto on your feelings about Valentines day, we had shared feelings today. How does that C25K program go?

@Tom … very interesting post about Valentines Day. I had never heard of it until I was in grade school and the teacher had us exchange cards. It was a thrill to get some.

@Karen … the thread has been slow the past couple of days. Except for me … LOL, I’m the one who said I have to spend less time online but I seem to be addicted.

AFM(As for me)
    I have a small NSV (non scale victory) for today’s Saturday Success to share. Two of them.

I got the driveway entrance clear of the snow and ice the plows threw into it. That pile was 2 1/2 feet high and sprayed 8 feet into the driveway where it dwindled down to about 6 inches. Took my 45 minutes of heavy lifting and throwing with my shovel to clear it in a 12-foot length so my car could get in and out. Hope they don’t have to come through again for days … but we are expecting another bout of snow on Sunday.

The dinner I made tonight brought back the most wonderful smells and memory jogs. I baked a couple of bone-in loin pork chops over a bed of sauerkraut with carrots and potatoes. Half for tonights dinner and half for Sunday. Heaven!

February challenge : calories at goal 13/13.
    ALL-IN: still doing PT exercises as planned. Still no gym this month.

2015 motto “Follow-through”
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting for the official results of the 10k, but I think I finished in right at 2 hours. The course was along the Greenbelt in Boise, Idaho. It is an amazing trail that follows the Boise River for 70 miles. It was the first time I had been on it. I am overwhelmed by the fact that in 2.5 years I have gone from morbidly obese and sedentary to walking a 10k in a respectable time. I am so grateful for my health.
    I guess I am a romantic. Last night we went to a sweetheart dance at the church. I enjoyed spending the afternoon with DH today. He bought me a nice watch for Valentines day. I am pretty sure that I stayed in my calories for the day. Including the walk, I had 9.8 miles on the odometer for today. I am taking the day off from logging, though.
    Tomorrow is DH's 78th birthday and Anya's 2nd. We have a lot of family here. It will be another tough day for food.
    I'll report more later.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @kaye--that's a wonderful pace fr a 10k! Congrats on that accomplishment.

@niki--wow, that's a lost of snow! Good for you for getting it all shoveled.

@thriving--welcome!

AFM (as for me)--Only got a few journals graded, but better than nothing. I plan for tomorrow to be a full-on marathon grading day. I only brought 10-12 journals home (they're too heavy to bring all of them), so once I finish those, I will tackle the thesis statements and Gatsby journals.

Well, this week was sort of a bust. I'm only a little over according to my food diary, but I know there were other bites here and there that I missed logging. Tomorrow is a new day and a new week, so I will focus on doing better.

I have no PT appts this week--couldn't fit them in b/c of the meetings. I'm supposed to do the exercises on my own, so I plan to do that at least 4 days this week.

February Challenge:
    All-in strength challenge=balance exercises 3 x/week; PT 1-2 x/week; run 2 x/week:
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 55 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47,1/25 = 55:41)

Grading Goals:
    1. 18/64 BNW journals
    2. x/12 poem analyses
    3. x/60 Gatsby journals
    4. x/50 JRP thesis statements

Exercise Goals: (week 3)
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--gym
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- meeting
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

• Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday everyone!

This is just a quick hello before heading off to church then work. Church has their annual Valentine banquet tonight, so this will be a busy day.

Hubby and I had a nice Valentine. He got me a beautiful necklace and a book that I've been wanting. He is amazing to me!! <3

I will try to get back later or tomorrow to do personals.

Have a great day!! :D

• Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody.

Happy Susan B. Anthony Day
    Susan B. Anthony Day, February 15th, is a commemorative day to celebrate the accomplishments of a great leader in the movement for women's right to vote. Susan Brownell Anthony was born February 15, 1820 to Daniel and Lucy Anthony in Adams, Massachusetts. Susan was one of the seven children in her family, five girls and two boys. Her father manufactured cotton. Susan was even able to work for a short time in the cotton mill as a young girl. Susan had strong Quaker background and therefore supported social reform. Her father believed it was just as important for his daughters to receive a good education as it was for his sons. At an early age Susan was sent away to school to study. At that time one of the few jobs a woman could hold was a teacher. She began teaching school in New York, at the early age of 14. As a teacher, she earned $2.50 a week compared to the $10.00 a week her male colleagues earned. She felt equal pay should be received for equal work.
    Following the panic of 1837, in which Susan's family lost their cotton mill, she moved home to help her family regain their financial security. Her family later moved to Rochester, New York. While at home she strongly supported and participated in the abolition and the temperance movements. However, she often found it difficult for women to do much with these social issues because they were unable to vote.
    In 1851, Susan was introduced to Elizabeth Cady Stanton, a women's right advocate. The two women became good friends and worked side by side for many years in support of women's suffrage. Susan B. Anthony felt very strongly about women's right to public speech and gave many powerful speeches throughout the country. Often she would use the Constitution as a resource in her persuasive speeches. She was known for saying "the constitution says, We the people...', not We the male citizens...'."
    In 1869 the Fifteenth amendment was ratified. This stated that black men were now allowed to vote. Women's suffrage advocates were outraged that black men could now vote, yet women still could not. Following the ratification of the fifteenth amendment, Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton organized the National Woman Suffrage Association (NWSA). The NWSA was open to all who wanted to join, both men and women. The NWSA published a newspaper, The Revolution, with its motto, "Men, their rights, and nothing more: women their rights, and nothing less".
    The fifteenth amendment stated that "all citizens" could vote. Susan B. Anthony along with other women felt they too should be classified as "citizens." In 1872 Susan B. Anthony and 15 other women registered and voted in the 1872 presidential election in Rochester, New York. was set for June. Susan felt her voting was justified since she was a "citizen." During the time prior to the trial, Susan was busy giving speeches and trying to persuade any potential juror. The trial was held in a small town outside of Rochester. Susan was not allowed to speak for herself and fined $100 which she vowed she would never pay. She never went to jail. However, no appeal was ever made to the Supreme Court. If an appeal had been made and had turned in Susan's favor, women would have been given the right to vote then.
    Susan B. Anthony became the president of the National American Women's Suffrage Association (NAWSA) in 1892 and served until 1900. Susan continued to keep the issue of women's right to vote alive by touring nearly every state and giving public speeches wherever she went. During her 60 years of service for women's suffrage, she gave approximately 75-100 speeches a year.
    Susan B. Anthony died March 13, 1906, at the age of 86, before the amendment was passed giving women the right to vote. In 1920, the Nineteenth amendment, often referred to as the Susan B. Anthony Amendment was passed giving all women the legal right to vote. Susan B. Anthony's birthday, February 15th is now a commemorative day to remember the great leader and work she did for the women's right movement.

“When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.” ~Thomas Jefferson

Tom
  • NK1112
    Options
    (Sunday - Sharing (tell us a little about yourself … update your personal life.))
    ........... My name is Niki ... I am a grumpy old woman today. One who seems to have awakened on the wrong side of the bed. Or at least, that's how it feels now when it didn't feel like that when I first got up ... first; while drinking coffee, I went on FB and got irritated from all the whining and negative posts I found there, then I went to MFP messages pages and got more irritated by all the whining and negativitey I read there. .... So, I'm now in a bad mood. ...... and, I don't like myself very much when I feel so grumpy! I think I'll just have to send myself to my room without any dessert or lunch today!
    Follow-through
    Niki

• skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @niki--when I see a lot of negative posts on FB, I just post something cute or funny to try to counteract it. I hope this works:

lj8wo3aq7p4f.jpg
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    If that fails, then how about this one?
    x2xtog23x7ov.png
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound - I may need to steal that second one for myself. :smiley:

Sunday Share - I've decided to give up fast food for Lent. *gulp* I've been feeling more and more convicted to change this bad habit, and this seems like a good time to replace it with the good habit of eating at home. This will be my first time observing Lent - I grew up Pentacostal/Evangelical, but started attending the Episcopal Church a little over a year ago. I'm nervous about this commitment, but figured if there was a spiritual aspect to it as well, I'd be more likely to follow through. So...off to plan food for this week so I can go to the store before the weather gets bad. Wish me luck!

ETA: I've been wanting to implement one meatless day per week as well. Should I try doing that now since I'm going to be focused on meal planning and eating at home, or is that too much to try to do at once?
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting for the official results of the 10k, but I think I finished in right at 2 hours.

CONGRATULATIONS!

• cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Happy whining day! No, not wining or winning but whining. I too am in a funk. Not really happy not really mad or sad, just whiny.
    My name is Lori, been here on mfp since June 8th of last year. Down a total of 103 pounds since December 26th, 2011.
    I have been struggling a lot this week. With many issues. I have several whiny posts in the last couple of weeks. Today I am looking forward.
    Tomorrow I am going back to the gym. Regardless of my sinuses. I need to workout. I will do whatever my body will do. I will once again track every bite. I will drink all my water.
    I will stay within my macros.
    @skinnyjeansbound - Thank you so very much for the smile, just what I needed.
    @grandmakaye - Yea on the 10K! One of my many goals this year is to do a 10K.
    @ThrivingforMe‌ - Welcome, best way to start is to log every bite, sip and move. Figure out what you are doing now so you can make a plan you will be able to stick to. When I first started here someone suggested I make a list of things I am willing to do now, things I am not willing to do and things I may try later. Worked for me, I am down over 60 pounds since June.

Sun is out I will go outside in the frozen cold, 8F and get 5 mins of daylight.
    Love to all,
    Lori <3
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @melissa--I say make the one meatless day a secondary goal; try to plan that one day/week, and if it happens, then it's sort of a bonus, but if it doesn't, no guilt.

AFM--got through the journals I brought home. Now I'm off to run an errand and then going to get started grading the thesis statements.

I think a week or so ago a bunch of people were talking about paying down debt and I mentioned that I had put that goal on hold since DH is currently out of work. However, this morning I went through our budget, and now that the holidays and most of my family b-days have passed, I think we can still work toward that goal. After paying all of our monthly bills and allowing $100/week for groceries and $100/month for gas, we still have about $600 to play with. Of course, I didn't budget for going out or incidentals, but I still think we can manage to squeak out a bit more towards debt. Not sure what we will each need as spending money, but even if we each spent $50/week, we should still have about $200 left over at the end of the month.

DH and I talked about it this morning and he's totally on board. I oversee the finances, so he never knows what's in the checking account. We both spend on the credit card, and then I transfer money over from the checking account. However, I sometimes don't get the money transferred for a week or 2 which results in interest charges since the credit card almost always carries a balance. Also, the obvious flaw in that system is the potential for him (or me) to spend more than is currently available in the checking account.

Going forward, we are going to keep cash on hand for groceries and incidentals. Since DH does the majority of grocery shopping, he can use that budget and always see what's available for the month. As far as spending money, we are both going to start with $50 cash per week--this will be for my starbucks, his cigarettes, any meals out or alcohol. I'm interested to see how this goes. I'm a little scared that I will find I'm spending a lot more than I think I am--eek.

February Challenge:

Grading Goals:
    1. 25/64 BNW journals
    2. x/12 poem analyses
    3. x/60 Gatsby journals
    4. x/50 JRP thesis statements

Exercise Goals: (week 3)
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--gym
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- meeting
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

• NK1112
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Aw ... thanks @Karen and @Lori .... you guys cheered me up! .... and Lori, when I reread what I had posted ... didn't it sound like I was whining also? Did to me on the reread, and I didn't even have a reason for it beyond my bad mood.

Yes @grandmakay .. congratulations on the 10K ... Very good going.

and @Melissa ... I think you will find it a bit easier to give up fast food for Lent ... but maybe not completely? 6 weeks is a long time to stop something cold turkey. Perhaps it would be more doable, and therefore less guilt-provoking, if you give up half of them and also implement that meatless day?

AFM - I've been doing meatless days probably all my life long because it was a way of life in my Eastern Orthodox family, even for the kiddies. Then when Lent rolled around, it was a very strict eating time but my mom always excluded children from giving up as much as the grown ups did ... still ... 2 times a week no meat, fowl, fish, or dairy meals, strictly vegetarian and no beef or pork throughout all of it. Boy, did we eat a lot of fish, duck, goose, and chicken, but in tiny portions. Good thing my dad fished almost every day. And were we ever looking forward to Easter Sunday!

Karen ... sounds like a good budget idea.

@mountmary84 ...hope you are feeling better soon, miss you on here.

Follow-through
    Niki
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share: I've been on this thread for just over a year, doing MFP for just over two years, struggling to maintain a healthy weight for most of my life. My goal is to get healthy and fit. I believe that when I get to my goal, I should have lost about 120 lbs total. At my heaviest, I was 295 lbs. I'm now down to 264-266. In the last two years, I have gotten down to 250 twice and then quit tracking and crept back up.
    I've been married for 8 years, and we have a daughter and a son, ages 7 and 6. I work in a clinic laboratory and recently became the lead for my area. So, I'm frequently busy and love to stress eat.

February:
    Calorie Goal- 5/15
    Exercise Goal- 5/12
    Lift Goal:
    Leg Press-180/200
    Squats-180/200
    Abs- 150/165
    Back- 150/165
    Triceps- 80/90
    Biceps- 80/90

2015 Mantra: You Know Better! ~and~ Finish This Baby!