Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Good Morning.

@Laurie~I’m so excited for your first tri, you’ve been training really hard for this so I know you’re ready. I’m cheering for you!

@Holly~Glad job interview went well, I’m always leery of working for small companies that don’t allow room for growth and can’t negotiate a decent salary—I worry about their financial position. I hope today’s interview goes well!

AFM~So sleepy this morning. I strained a muscle in my neck at some point yesterday morning, so took Aleve PM and a Flexeril before going to bed last night—took it later than I should have. :sleeping: Busy weekend coming up, just par for the course for me lately. :confounded: Hope to get car inspected after work today—they've changed requirements in Texas this year so have to get it inspected before I can even renew the registration. :expressionless: Tomorrow I hope to finally get to the bike shop and get some running around done, parents are coming over Sunday to help me measure some rooms and so I can get my mom’s opinion on paint color. Sherwin-Williams is having great sale, so hope to pick up all the paint I need this weekend as well.

Everyone have a great weekend!
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ack, I'm behind again! But for good reason - finally coming out of that funk I was in and have been BUSY! The project in the living room is finished at last (only took 6 weeks for a new ceiling *sigh*) and I finished spring cleaning in the spare room which serves as an extra bedroom/office/playroom/storage/pantry and it's where I practice my Miracle Morning routine. That room and my bedroom are the two biggest spring cleaning projects, so it feels fantastic to have that one done.

I've also subbed two days this week (yesterday and today), and picked up several additional writing assignments. Yay for $$$. :smile:

Finished reading The Five Love Languages of Children and have now begun Marianne Williamson's A Course in Weight Loss. It targets the mental and emotional roots of food issues, which I know I need to deal with if I'm going to be successful at getting healthy.

Melifornia's Weekly Goals - April 12-18

Diet
    • Create a meal plan AND DO IT -
    • Meet protein goal 5/7 days - x/5
    • Drink 96oz water daily - 4/7

Exercise
    • Strength training (restarting routine) 2x - x/2
    • Cardio 3x - 2/3
    • Yoga daily - 5/7

Personal
    • Update blog -
    • Miracle Morning daily - 5/7
    • Finish reading The Five Love Languages of Children - DONE
    • Get new contact Rx and new contacts - stopped by to ask for new Rx but doc was out of town; will try again Friday
    • Call about teeth cleaning -

Home
    • Spring Cleaning: complete one room + car - spare room DONE!
    • Take donations to Goodwill, library, etc. - DONE (for this room)
    • Paint/touch up in living room - DONE (FINALLY!!!!!)
    • Clean up/clear out backyard - did some but it's supposed to start raining today through the weekend, so probably will have to bump to next week
    • Buy and pot fern for indoors - DONE, and it looks beautiful :)

Work
    • Sit down and plan work for next 6 weeks, including probable new assignments/deadlines -
    • Finish client MID's website update - almost
    • Complete at least half of edits on client SSM's website -
    • Arrange and complete 2 interviews and send out for transcription as needed - x/2 - arranged interviews for next week
    • Write and file 2 newspaper stories - 1/2
    • Write and file 2 magazine stories - x/2
    • Sub 1 day - 2/1

April All-In Goals
    • Cardio, at least 30 minutes, 4x/week - 8/16
    • Strength training 2x week - 1/8
    • Login to MFP daily - 17/30
    • Meet protein goal minimum of 20/30 days - 1/20
    • Drink 96z water minimum of 20/30 days - 12/20

Mantra: Live intentionally
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. It is a beautiful day in the Pacific northwest. We had a weird story on the news this morning. A semi had a blowout on one of our major interstates right in the middle of the major commute area. No one was hurt but the semi tipped over and he was hauling bees and their hives. There are literally thoudands of bees flying around there right now.
    @Laurie: Good luck on your Tri tomorrow. You have trained hard and I bet you you will do great.
    @Susan: Welcome home from vacation. It looks like it was a lot of fun. Your son is very handsome.
    @Karen: Have a good time at your conference. I hope it all goes the way you would like.
    @Kah: I can totally relate to the busy weekend. I have errands three little kid softball games and a birthday party to get to. Should keep me moving :)

Well all is good in my world right now. My son came home on Monday and is doing well. He plans on going back up in a couple months so it must not have been to terrible after the sea sickness backed off. I haven't quite broke the 300 barrier but I know I will soon. I was over a few days but I have been retaining a lot of water for some reason the last couple weeks. Usually I weigh first thing in the morning but my fingers are so puffy there is no sense in doing that and then by late in the day when they are back to normal I have eaten at least a couple meals so it still isn't accurate. Oh well this cycle has to break eventually. Well I have to go walk the dogs so I can be ready in time for my irs apt to set up payment arrangements to pay our taxes this year. Oh joy :( Have a great day everyone :):):)
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    @lauriek70 - Good luck with the tri this weekend! You're going to kick. some. butt!

@tanya949 - I pooped out on my no fast food vow before Easter, too. Trying to live and work in a construction zone, with my acerbic Stepdad at my house almost every day, was too much stress. Not a good excuse, but it's what happened. Now I'm working on addressing the underlying reasons why I rely so much on fast food so I can kick the habit for good.

@cblue315 - So glad to hear things are starting to get back on track for you and your family!

@GOINSTD12 - Proud of you for getting in your lunchtime workouts! You found a way to add exercise to your busy schedule and you're sticking with it. Bravo!

Oops, bell is about to ring and I need to make sure the students remember they have a test next week.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @susan2396 - would it be possible for me to stay with you on the evening of 5/18? I can save significant && by flying Monday instead of Tuesday. Maybe we can visit one of the beautiful parks in Atlanta and get some fun activity in. I'm probably going to be able to stay at the Omni with my family on Tuesday night. Let me know, ok? Friend me too, I sent a request.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy "Ellis Island Family History Day"
    By official proclamation of our nation’s governors, April 17 has been designated as “Ellis Island Family History Day.” Under the auspices of The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation, Inc. and the National Genealogical Society, the day has been set aside annually to recognize the achievements and contributions made to America by Ellis Island immigrants and their descendants.

Historically, April 17 marks the day in 1907 when more immigrants were processed through Ellis Island than on any other day in its colorful history -- 11,747 people. Over 40% of the U.S. population today -- 100 million Americans – can trace their roots back to the 17 million brave and hopeful immigrants who took their first steps towards freedom and opportunity by going through the “Golden Door” of Ellis Island.

In celebration of “Ellis Island Family History Day” the Foundation has instituted the “Ellis Island Family Heritage Awards” which are given annually to a select number of Ellis Island immigrants or their descendants who have made a significant contribution to the American experience.

Ellis Island Family History Day was first celebrated on April 17, 2001 to commemorate the opening of the American Family Immigration History Center® at Ellis Island and its companion website: www.ellisisland.org.

While weight loss is important, what's more important is the quality of food you put in your body - food is information that quickly changes your metabolism and genes. - Mark Hyman

Tom
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    I hope you have a great weekend.

I am ready for my triathlon tomorrow.

Time to rest for the night.

• Lauriek70
    Options
    Thanks for all the support with the triathlon. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Laurie!!

I've been skimming but no time for personals.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Lauriek70 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the support with the triathlon. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

woooohooo you go girl!
  • kah68
    Options
    @Laurie~Good luck today! :smile:
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Laurie - I'm rooting for you today - you'll do great!

I've got a great link for every one interested in doing a good upper body work out with dumbells - I saw this today and its excellent, depicting the move, breaking it down into proper body mechanics, into tiny steps and also a video, - so well done and informative! I hate to admit it came from Buzzfeed!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sallytamarkin/learn-these-dumbbell-moves-now
  • stormy69
    stormy69 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have been using MFP for a few years but im new to the community and discussions, I have lotsssss of weight to loose and I have been inspired by the messages I have read tonight, good luck to everyone and thanks in advance :smiley:
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Laurie – Best wishes for your Tri today!

Happy Husband Appreciation Day!
    On Husband Appreciation Day, show the man in your life just how much he means to you and your family. Many husbands are taken for granted and their contributions go unrecognized. This holiday provides the perfect opportunity to let him know how much you admire and appreciate him for all he does. You made the decision to marry him and share your life together, so take this day to let him know just how much you cherish him.

If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until it gets so ugly you can hardly bear to look at it. A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely. ~Roald Dahl

Tom
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Hi All - Welcome to all the newcomers ! I have been taking notes since I've missed so much time here, now I have to run to an appt. to look at another used car so no time to transcribe - should have been typing rather than free-handing them! Darn!

So much great discussion I will be back on tonite - have to add to the lawn mowing part!
    My sympathies to those who are hurting physically or mentally.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder Tom :-) I appreciate mine alot these days, because without his liver transplant last May, he wouldn't be here on this earth with me and my teenager. He is 54, with me 52, so yep I could get a part-time job, but these days I just don't wish to miss anything. We have been given another chance and I want to make every day count.
    My success this week has been to not stress. To be in the moment, and not to live in the past. To appreciate the now, not linger on the what if's or why nots. I went to my therapist and she is proud of my progress this year. She let me loose to live my life. Open-ended to if I need to talk about things, she is there.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Well... I finally did my taxes last night. Same thing happened as last year, I got all my receipts together, added everything up then fired up the software. Now, where is my T4????? I remember getting in in the mail and thinking OK put it somewhere safe so you know where to find it. Nope. Searched around frantically in so many piles of papers and finally found it in my stack of pay statements, it looks exactly the same with the company letterhead on it. Anyway, it went very smoothly this year and I was astonished at the end to have quite a large refund. I went back and reviewed the entire thing and yep, it looks right. :#

Needless to say I had a great sleep with that finally relieving some stress and dread. Today I went out bike riding with some friends. Still managed to get a blister from my new hiking boots which sucks because tomorrow I'm going out with another group of friends for close to 20km of hiking plus 7km of bike riding. This is not the time for painful blisters! I'm also getting DOMS from yesterday's physio... upper body with lots of pushups which means my neck and shoulders are sore. I hope it settles down during the night but I expect it to be worse tomorrow, it usually is the 2nd day after.

@lauriek... your tri is finished by now.. I'm sure you rocked it!
  • Lauriek70
    Options
    I am happy to say that the tri went great. I can't believe how overwhelming and fun it was today. Nerves started to get the best of me but they were under control by the time I started the swim. I did great, the times are 800 yd swim (16:11), bike 46:35 about 9.5 miles, run 3 miles approximately 32:42.

The run time for me was amazing since I have never run 3 miles that fast before. It felt good but at points I thought I was go very slow. I even managed to sprint to the finish line. The swim was fantastic and I am pleased with the 16:11. It was a nice swim and the time is good for me and in line with others in my age group. The hardest part was the first transition just because I had to get my head together and figure out what I wanted to do. It took a little to long but that is okay. I completed the whole thing in 1:45:57. Which is better than I expected. Overall, a very successful event and yes, I would do this event again. This was a great first triathlon experience and would highly recommend it.

This has been an amazing journey and while it is not over yet, I love how far I have come over the past 4 years. Here are a few pictures from the event.

There is a picture of my SIL, brother and niece. Then my friend Kristin and I. She came out to the finish line today and took some wonderful pictures. I greatly appreciate all your support.

ta5w02ja6c2q.jpg

jw3s05tj0tre.jpg

t0yut0b4srzg.jpg

wa9reeswt8gs.jpg

gx5ukk8dtdyp.jpg
    230gfa6wmg7a.jpg
  • kah68
    Options
    Great job today, @Laurie! Glad your brother and his fam came out to support you, you made great time. I'm so glad you had fun (that's the most important thing)! :smiley:

Hello everyone. Good, eventful day today. Finally made it to the bike shop, so I'm all set with my new (to me) bike--other than riding it at the shop to test the position of the seat and handlebars, I didn't go for a ride today (although I did work out on the arc trainer at the gym this morning). They gave it a good once over--all it needed was a new seat, a battery for the cadence system and a new tail light. I am looking forward to taking a ride tomorrow though--I'm happy to report you really don't forget how to ride a bike. :lol:

Right now we're getting pretty bad storms--high winds, heavy rains, lots of thunder/lightening. Guess I better get off computer. :wink: Have a great evening!
  • MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - sheepishly coming back hope you'll still have me. I've struggled the last few months in my usual pattern of doing great for a month or so and then get discouraged. I wish I didn't get so discouraged so easily - I need to figure out how to fix that flaw in myself. I persevere with every other goal in my life, why is this so different?

Although it wasn't a complete fall off the wagon, while I did gain back the 4 lbs I lost over this time I also completely stopped drinking soda which is HUGE for me. I also bought and tried out the 21 day fix for a week - my thoughts on that are as follows. The workouts are great, the meal plan I'm pretty sure they geared the eating plan towards a normal sized person and then just super sized the requirements for obese people. It had me eating 6 cups of veggies a day and 4 cups of fruit (so 12 servings of veggies, and 8 of fruit). I was full but with my teaching schedule getting that much food in volume wise was difficult and I felt like I was in some kind of eating competition. After 7 days my stomach was mighty angry with me so I'm going to wait until summer break when I can eat like normal people and have 6 small meals a day and see if it works better. For now I'm just going to focus on calories in calories out.

Anyone have any ideas for something I can read or some strategy I can use to help me persevere with my weight loss goal?