Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    @MKknits I personally find the calories in/calories out makes the most sense for me. It's a lot less complicated and it works. It's easier to persevere when your plan is simple and you see results. The results you see will motivate you to keep going. Good luck. This last few weeks of school are always stressful.
    @lauriek Congratulations. I can't even imagine doing a tri. I hate water, I don't bike ride, and I don't run.
    Sunday share: This has been an interesting week. It started off with the good news that DH is still cancer free. We also learned that the VA has finally come through with my Father's veteran's benefits. It is retroactive to 2013 when we first started trying to get them. He only had enough money for a couple more months of care. Then it would be Medicaid. We are all so relieved.
    Then the bad news! I have to go back on my CPAP. I guess I should have checked with the doctor instead of just shelving it. The pressure went down from 14 to 7, so it isn't giving me the problems it was before. Thursday DH went to the doctor to see why he has a stiff neck. He was diagnosed with severe arthritis in his neck and told not to drive any more. Boy, that is a blow. He has always been the main driver in the family and neither one of us is happy about this.
    My weight has been all over the board this week, but I've been successful with water and exercise, and moderately successful with logging.
    I'm looking forward to the posts today to get better acquainted with our new people. Have a great Sunday.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Garlic Day 2015

fv1js95ym1wr.jpg

GARLIC is a WONDER MEDICINE - It has lot of good qualities and helpful for very many disease. instead of taking garlic Pills try to take at least 2 bulbs of raw garlic and it will reduce the BP considerably.
    Garlic Chewing may give you bad breath and pungent smell, but it an essential ingredient for cooking in Middle Eastern and Far Eastern countries. This garlic can actually be a boon for your health.
    Garlic and its cousins (Onions, chives and scallions) are probably the most intriguing of all vegetables. Garlic lowers cholesterol, triglyceride levels in our blood, reduces the risk of heart disease, High blood pressure, fights infection and boosts immunity. And, as if that weren't enough, the data is strong for the prevention of cancers of the digestive system, including the esophagus, stomach, colon and rectum. The National Cancer Institute is sponsoring a huge clinical trial on garlic's ability to prevent stomach cancer.
    It was Louis Pasteur who first described the antibacterial effect of garlic and onion juices. Garlic is effective even against antibiotic-resistant strains. It even kills Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori), a kind of bacteria which is implicated in the cause of some stomach cancers and ulcers.
    Allicin is the most powerful medicinal compound derived from garlic and provides the greatest reputed health benefits. Allicin does not occur in "ordinary" garlic, it is produced when garlic is finely chopped or crushed. The finer the chopping and the more intensive the crushing, the more Allicin is generated and the stronger the medicinal effect. As well as having antibiotic properties, Allicin is an excellent anti-fungal and has been used to treat skin infections such as athlete's foot.
    The diallyl sulphides (sulfides) obtained from garlic are less powerful than Allicin but can still reportedly provide some benefits to health. Diallyl sulphides are also less volatile than Allicin. They do not degrade as quickly and, importantly, the health benefits survive cooking. They are reportedly good for the blood and circulation in some cases. The sulphides might also help to lower the levels of BAD cholesterol, hence garlic might help to keep the heart and cardiovascular system healthy. Diallyl suphides also have a reputation for boosting the immune system.
    Scientists from the University of Alabama at Birmingham lead by Dr David Kraus said: have now found that Garlic can help keep the heart healthy. According to them, garlic boosts the body’s ability to produce ALLICIN, for relaxing blood vessel, increasing blood flow and preventing blood clots and oxidative damage. Sulphide which relaxes blood vessels and keeps blood flowing easily, as already told.
    The researchers also found that RBCs exposed to minute amounts of garlic juice immediately began emitting hydrogen sulphide.
    Further experiments showed that the chemical reaction took place mainly on the surface of the blood cells, playing a vital role in helping cells to communicate with each other. It stimulated the cells that form the lining of the vessels to relax, causing the vessels to dilate. This, in turn, reduced blood pressure, allowing the blood to carry more oxygen to essential organs, and reducing pressure on the heart.
    It is good to take two or three cloves of Onion with food. If you cannot relish the taste and smell you can have it cooked and take. Or you can even take Garlic Pearls available in pharmacies.
    Garlic has been held in high esteem for its Health building qualities for centuries. It contains high percentage of minerals and vitamins. It also contains traces of iodine, Sulphur and chlorine.
    - It is regarded as a rejuvenator. It is found to remove toxins and revitalize blood.
    - The ethers in garlic juice are so potent and penetrating that they help to dissolve accumulated mucous in the sinus cavities, in bronchial tubes and lungs.
    - It has been found effective in Asthma
    - It has an antiseptic effect.

People are not disturbed by things, but by the view they take of them. ~Epictetus

Tom
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    @morgori-Tom, I'm so glad you posted to celebrate National Garlic Day ... on my FB stream this mooring, The Old Farmers Almanac posted this Yiddish proverb to comment on the day ... " A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat".
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    @Lauriek70 - Yippee!! I am so very happy for you. The pics were great, thanks for sharing. Looks like you were well prepared and the weather cooperated.

@Morgori - Garlic is one of my favorite seasonings. The Epictetus quote is so right on target for me today.

@MKknits - Self motivation is one of the things we all struggle with or we would not be here. Here is a link to a tread that is all motivational quotes. It is no longer active but I read it almost every day. I pick one to take with me that day. Really, surrounding yourself with things that help motivate you is. . well so. . .motivating. It sounds strange when I write it but you get what I mean.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10018613/what-are-some-of-your-favorite-motivational-quotes#latest

Sunday Share - My name is Lori, I am a wife, mother of 2 grown sons, an interior designer. I own my own store, I specialize in custom made window treatments.
    Three years ago I weighed in a 297. This morning was 186. Joined MFP in June of last year.

Food, water and fitness all went well today. The weather was great. I worked out then drove about 2 hours to install window treatments for two clients in the Milwaukee area. Both are very happy. One gave me a $150.00 tip. I bought myself a new summer purse.

This week will be busy as well. I have some more clients to make happy. We are re-financing the house and the paperwork will go through this week. I have several workouts planned. There is a visit with the new counselor on Thursday.

My plan is to make a daily plan. I really get upset when I forget something. Daily lists will be the key to a successful week.

Love to all,
    Lori <3

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!! Sorry I didn't get on to post much over the past week. Our union representative assembly went well. It was a lot of sitting listening to debate on motions or to speakers. Budget reports and such for the most part, but our keynote speaker was a woman who lost her daughter at Sandyhook. Her son was also in the school that day, so their family was doubly impacted. They started a foundation Called the Ana Grace Project (after the daughter) that seeks to prevent such incidents with early intervention for at-risk youth. She was such an inspiring woman--we were all in tears after her presentation.

Though there was a lot of sitting, I also managed to get to the hotel gym 2 of the 3 days we were there. Also, my room was on the 5th floor so I made it a point to take the stairs--lots of up and down through the 3 days. Plus, we walked back and forth to lunch and dinner--it was probably about a mile to the restaurants so lots of mileage.

It was a good thing too, b/c I consumed my fair share of calories. For the most part, not excessive. However, our region dinner Thursday night was at Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian steakhouse. Wow was there a lot of food! So many different types of meat, and they keep bringing more and more. I tried everything, but each time a server would cut off a chunk of meat and put it on my plate, I would cut it in half and share it with my friend. She also does MFP so the plan worked well for both of us. Needless to say, I made my protein goal on Thursday. LOL!

After getting home from RA on Saturday afternoon, I unpacked, did laundry, and re-packed to spend the night at my parents' house b/c I had an outing planned in the city with some friends. Then this morning I got up and met a friend to celebrate her b-day with some shopping and lunch. Finally got home today around 5 pm after barely being here since Wed. morning.

Tomorrow I work a half day, then go to my ortho appt. for my shoulder.

Miss you all but need to get to sleep. I will catch up on personals tomorrow. Just want to say @laurie--Congrats on the tri!!! Amazing times and I love the pics!!

• Morgori
    Options
    Good morning all.

Happy Lima Bean Respect Day!
    Today is Lima Bean Respect Day! Did you know that lima beans are incredibly good for you? They are filled with nutritious fiber, potassium, iron, copper, and manganese. Lima beans are also low in fat and contain protease inhibitors that stall the development of cancerous cells. Lima beans may not be your favorite healthy vegetable, but today is the day to show them some respect!
    Humans have been cultivating lima beans since 6000 BC. Today, people use them in recipes for soups, spreads, casseroles, and salads. In Japan, green baby lima beans are an important ingredient in bean paste, which is a popular dessert. Succotash, a dish usually found in the southern region of the United States, combines lima beans, corn, and chili peppers.
    To celebrate Lima Bean Respect Day, enjoy some tasty lima beans cooked your favorite way!

The soul does not absorb negativity by accident, always by choice. ~Dodinsky

Tom
  • Ellarai
    Ellarai Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am new to this app. My goal is to lose 100 or more pounds as my weight has stopped me from doing things I want to do and has created a very negative image of myself in my own head. I am hoping that this app will help me lose weight in a safe and responsible manner without being so extreme on my own self. I struggle with the battle of food everyday and hope to conquer it once and for all. I also hope to read the successes of others to inspire to continue when it gets rough.
  • NK1112
    Options
    cblue315 wrote: »

Three years ago I weighed in a 297. This morning was 186. Joined MFP in June of last year.

Today is my weekly check-in day on MFP and had a weight change to report, and update my ticker ... which shows I have lost 32 pounds since my highest weight, which was 8 years ago ... that's a lot of years to have such small amount of change in my weight ... but at least it is a loss. (That high weight was revisited as early as 2 years ago, with todays weight having also been revisited 7 1/2 years ago.)

I quoted Lori with her results for the past 3 years, because I wanted to talk about the difference in our two journeys ... it's kind of like the proverbial grasshopper and ant story in Aesops Fables ... one of us kept to the plan every day and one of us kept to plan once in a while.

That said, I am still happy that I have finally gotton serious about my health ... even though it didn't happen until the twilight years. I finally realize that even though I may have setbacks, the best thing I can do is revisit everything I've learned about myself and nutrition and change just one thing at a time to get back on track.

This week, I did have a weight loss ... one I am very happy about since it has put me back to where I was before my computer went down and I couldn't log my food on it.

So ... for those looking for motivation ... try focusing on just changing one thing for a few days and see if that does the trick. It worked for me to focus on more veggies compared to fruit this past week. That's all I focused on ... more veggies, and that focus made me more selective for everything I ate. .... Now I need to continue with my own advise and ... follow through,.
    Niki :)
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Good Morning.

@Tom~I gotta say, I don’t give the lima bean much respect. :wink: If I buy mixed veggies, I purposely look for the variety without them—I think they taste like paste! :lol:

@Ellarai~Welcome!

AFM~So far I :heart: my new (to me) bike, went for a short 5-mile ride yesterday--just rode my bike to the middle school, a short distance from my house. An empty parking lot was perfect for getting used to the way the bike handles. Today, I am meeting a friend at the park for a longer ride--after I ride in the park for a while, I'll be ready to ride among city traffic. :wink: I hope to be ready to join the novice cycle club at my gym in the fall. Yesterday, after making a yummy meatless Mexican Quinoa dish for lunch this week (still packs a wallop of protein) I went to Sherwin-Williams and picked up the rest of the paint I needed to paint two bedrooms and the main bathroom. It’s funny, I changed my mind on color a dozen times then thought I had it all figured out only to change my mind a final time at the store :blush:—the only thing that never changed was my bedroom (gray/plum). There is no turning back now, all the paint is in my garage. :smirk: This weekend I’m painting the guest bedroom. When I get through with this project I’ll post pics.

Have a great day/week!
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    My knee scope went well last Tuesday, the first day was really hard to get around but it got much better. Today I have a followup appt. with the doc, the site looks good. There is a little swelling and tenderness to my thigh but it is not bad.

I am hoping to go to therapy and that will be a start to me getting off my butt and doing some more activity. It was so hard to move around with a bad knee. I want to get out now that the weather is good. Thinking about what to plant in my garden.

I am sorry i don't post every day or even much but I am logging and funny thing, when you log and keep under your goals you seem to loose weight. humm how does that work?
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @ushkii - funny how that works, isn't it? Glad the knee is improving and didn't get infected or anything. Just take it one day at a time, be consistent, and before you know it you will be able to do a lot more.
    @Lauriek70 - congrats on the triathlon, you bested your times and that's an incredible accomplishment, we are all so happy for you!
    @Tanya949 - congrats on your taxes, what a relief and a happy surprise for the refund!
    @stormy69, @ellarai - welcome! We ALL have our ups and down, successes and failures, happy and sad days, good days and bad days. Come back often and check in. Read the posts, comment, let us get to know you, and get to know us. We are a very supportive group, we know and understand where you are coming from. We have a lot of people with a variety of backgrounds and if you have a question, somebody here will know the answer (or at least have an opinion!). We all need each other and will be here to help!
    @MKknits - welcome back. I've come and gone from MFP for years, and I have to say, this year has been the most successful so far. I lay my success at the feet of the lovely people of this thread in good part, because they are so supportive. Yes, I am doing the work, but this thread has been a great help. Just take it one day at a time, and log everything, and try to make small changes and keep at it until the change is a habit. One extra flight of stairs, 10 minutes of walking here, a little farther out in the parking lot.... every little bit helps. We'll be here for you if you need us.
    @kah68 - that's great that you got your bike, I don't know if I could even keep one upright anymore. Maybe - I have thought about getting a bike, it would be fun to ride in my neighborhood, there are a lot of back roads and interesting places. We'll see, bikes are so expensive now. Even used.

AFM - planned to walk and get exercise this weekend but the weather did NOT cooperate, but I did manage to get my closets organized, got some space bags and packed away the winter clothes. Wow, I can actually hang my clothes in my closet now instead of leaving them in the laundry room! I also went through and got rid of (aka for donation) the clothes that I won't wear anymore. AND, woo hoo - bought a pair of capris at Wallyworld - SIZE 18 - haven't worn an 18 in years! And, I lost another 2 lbs since Thursday, so I am officially down 20 lbs! YAY!
    Tracy
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hey guys-
    @kelley-- how exciting to finally have all of your colors picked.

@holly-- it's great that you are getting some interviews. Hope you find the perfect fit for you and your career goals.

@ushkii-- glad your knee is healing and the pain is diminished.

@tracy (goins)-- I also need to get my closets organized. My goal for this week/weekend is to swap out all of my winter sweaters for summer clothes, and in the process, weed out any donations. Congrats on the size 18s!! Woohoo!

@susan-- love the vacation pics of Cyrus!

Welcome to the newlings! :smile:

Monday Check-in:
    Well, I totally fell off the logging wagon while at the conference and other social activities this past week. Even today wasn't great food-wise--too many junky snacks at my meeting. Did NOT like what the scale had to say this morning, but I'm back on track with nutrition and logging tomorrow. I'm really hoping that most of the weight on the scale is due to all of the sodium from restaurant food for a week straight.

So my appointment for my shoulder was this afternoon, but I didn't get to see the doctor. When I called to make the appt, I specifically asked if his office was at the hospital. The woman told me "no" and gave me an address instead. Well, when plugged into nav systems or mapquest, that address takes you to a house. It's a very nice house, but NOT the doctor's office. By the time I got through to the office to confirm that his office WAS indeed at a building on the hospital compound, I was 10 minutes late. When the reception said he wouldn't see me, I was livid. I explained that I had been given faulty info and, though the man behind the desk sympathized (and confirmed that the address doesn't work in nav systems), he still said I would have to reschedule.

Although I was angry at taking a half sick day and being denied my appt, due to their screw-up, there was nothing I could do. Doctors and their offices have patients at such a disadvantage with our current healthcare set-up. I'm referred to a specific set of doctors, so it's not like I can threaten to take my business elsewhere, and they know it. So I came home, called to reschedule, and went to my union meeting. It's very frustrating, but now I have to wait until May 19th to see the doctor. They could've gotten me in sooner, but I can't afford to lose any more class time with my students prior to the AP exam.

April Challenge:

Nutrition = At or over 90 grams of protein 5/7 days a week
    Week 1: At/over 90g of protein 6/7
    Week 2: At/over 90g of protein 5/7
    Week 3: At/over 90g of protein x/7
    Week 4: At/over 90g of protein x/7

Exercise = run 3 x/week:
    Week 1: 1/3 runs
    Week 2: 2/3 runs
    Week 3: 1/3 runs
    Week 4: x/3 runs

Next 8k is May 9th (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15, 3/29 = 59:15)

Grading Goals:
    1. 8/60 Junior research papers
    2. x/64 Yeats journals
    3. x/64 Lit theory papers
    4. x/60 Hemingway annotations

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE
    Mon--meeting
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--wake
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri--walk gunner
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

2015 Mantra = Just 15 minutes
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @skinnyjeansbound - I would have been livid too, and I would have demanded to speak to the office manager immediately (not that that would have helped, probably.... I agree they really have you by the short hairs!). I hope your shoulder isn't too bad, it would be a shame if waiting another month caused it to get worse.
    Tracy
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    We are getting some storms tonight so will make this short.

Kelley- Glad you like your new bike. Enjoy the rides.

Karen- Sorry about the appointment and I would be livid as well.

Doing well today but tired. Workout was a post triathlon workout that allowed me to strengthen areas around the neck, back and quads.
  • Morgori
    Options
    Good morning everybody.

Happy Kindergarten Day!
    Kindergarten Day is in honor of the creator, Friedrich Froebel, who was born on April 21st, 1782. In 1837, Froebel started the first Kindergarten in Germany. Since that time Kindergarten has increased in popularity with the increased importance on education and more working mothers. This time is exciting and scary for both mom and child. Celebrate the day remembering your first day of kindergarten.

You're picky about the car you drive. You're picky about what you wear. You're picky about what you put in your mouth. We want you to be pickier about what you think. ~Abraham–Hicks

Tom
  • NK1112
    Options
    Per Morgori-Tom's suggestion for today ...
    My first day of Kindergarten was in in a village in the Munich, Germany region. My sister held my hand all the way there. Every child was given an enamaled metal cup that we had to have with us every day. That was so we could get the meal they served us each day. At Easter time, we all where taken to a beautiful church with a very tall steeple and were allowed to climb the long, long stairs up to the very top and look out onto the land all around us. It was scary to climb up so high but with my sister one step below me and with your arms on the railings on each side of me, I felt protected and enjoyed the view. That's all I remember of it.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @karen~I would have been livid too, I would have demanded they see me—it’s their fault you had incorrect information. :rage: I hate that you have to go through hoops to see a specialist for this and wish you could get in sooner. :frowning:

@GOINSTD12 (Tracy)~I lucked out in that one of my close friends had a Trek hybrid bike he was no longer using—he used it half a dozen times and decided he didn’t like biking anymore, it’s been collecting dust in his garage so he gave it to me. I’m lucky we’re the same height, so the bike works out perfectly for me. You can find good used bikes for a decent price. I live in an area where cycling is really popular; lots of cycle clubs, bike shops and trails for cyclists and the city I live in is biker friendly with “share-the-road” laws so it’s fairly easy to get around. It’s been 25-years since I’ve been on a bike, you really don’t forget. :wink: Went for an hour-long bike ride with a friend yesterday at a local park with some great trails, :love: it!

AFM~Not much else to report. My goals are to continue with the cycling and get back into my weight lifting routine twice a week. Couldn’t believe when all was said and done I had burned 780 calories cycling yesterday—I love all the reports on HR the new Fitbit Charge HR gives you, so you know the amount of time you spent at your peak HR, cardio or fat burning zones during a workout. :smile:
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    kah68 wrote: »
    the only thing that never changed was my bedroom (gray/plum).

No way! I'm planning to repaint my bedroom pretty soon, now that the living room is done, and plum is my first choice! The room has been a deep red for about 12 years, which I love, but I'm ready for a change. Fortunately my room has 4 big windows facing south and east, lots of woodwork (painted white), and original wood floors, so I can get away with rich colors in there. :smile:

O HAI everyone else. *waves* I'm still here, just working through some stuff with that Marianne Williamson book and not feeling like talking about it yet. Delighted to read so many successes here, though. Congrats, losers! :wink:
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    MKknits wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas for something I can read or some strategy I can use to help me persevere with my weight loss goal?

I'm reading Marianne Williamson's A Course in Weight Loss right now. I'm only 3 lessons in, but am ready to recommend it to anyone who wants to address the underlying causes of being overweight, emotional barriers to being a healthy weight, etc. It is pretty intense, though. I spent about 30 minutes driving around and crying last night, just letting some things go.

• ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Morgori wrote: »
    Good morning everybody.

Happy Kindergarten Day!
    Kindergarten Day is in honor of the creator, Friedrich Froebel, who was born on April 21st, 1782. In 1837, Froebel started the first Kindergarten in Germany. Since that time Kindergarten has increased in popularity with the increased importance on education and more working mothers. This time is exciting and scary for both mom and child. Celebrate the day remembering your first day of kindergarten.

You're picky about the car you drive. You're picky about what you wear. You're picky about what you put in your mouth. We want you to be pickier about what you think. ~Abraham–Hicks

Tom

Since it was Kindergarten Day I was thinking that quote was going to go to nose picking somehow...

I had my follow appointment and they said the surgery went well Meniscus was torn on both the interior and lateral and he clean up some arthritics bone spurs in two areas. Then said something about losing weight but of course he must have been mumbling at that point because I think he said something about if I don’t I was headed for a Total Knee…
    I am up with a cane now and moving ok. No pain in the knee, just when I twist it. The pain is really soreness to my thigh where the tourniquet was or maybe some swelling is presenting.
    Food has been good this last week, except yesterday we went to Chinese and that was a ton of carbs and sodium. WOW, Just WOW. This morning I was really busy and did not eat so I had leftover and more sodium. I am again feeling better with the right size portions and drinking water during the day really helps. I don’t know how many times I have to learn this, but glad I am doing it again and feeling good.