Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound I don't have one. my jawbone up move doesn't do that. I will look into getting one, since I'm not ready to upgrade to a new tracker. Thanks for the advice!
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    @jackiefrost1013 Good luck with the car search. Somehow the car I like, and the car my bank account likes are never the same.

Not sure I can get on board with Lima Bean Respect Day. I'm not a huge bean fan in the first place, and lima's are at the lower end of the "they're OK" list - I do enjoy when my husband bakes them with a ton of home made BBQ sauce and bacon.

Had a minor set back at work this morning and am trying to resist the urge to mend my hurt feelings with my favorite comfort combo - a good milk chocolate candy and coca-cola. I busted tail to get a new training completed and approved by a deadline, and now I learn that we won't be presenting it for another couple of months. No one is upset with me, I'm just disappointed that my hard work is going to sit on a shelf unnoticed for a while. It is full of "easter eggs" and I want people to start finding them!

Took my dogs for a walk in the park last night. They both have a serious case of "terrier" and need to work on their manners. Thankfully everyone we passed was respectful of the fact that I was working with the dogs and didn't try to pet them or tell me it was OK for them to jump and bark. I really need to do that on a much more regular basis.

OK, back to work and trying to ignore my disappointment.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Good Morning.

@jackiefrost1013 ~Good luck with car shopping. I did that deed last year; test drove several cars—ended up with a Ford Escape which I :love:! The Ford dealership I bought it from is a no-haggle dealership, so it made the process a lot less painless. I think I spent more time waiting in finance then I did finalizing the deal! LOL

@Tom ~I gotta say, I have no respect for the lima bean! :lol: Love today’s quote!

@Moodybear2003 ~Those Nuun tablets are an acquired taste—they are really geared towards endurance athletes (i.e. long distance runners, cyclists, and tri-athletes). I’d stick with the Gatorade after your workout to replenish your electrolytes and a well-balanced meal 90-minutes prior to your workout. If you’re taking Jazzercise in the morning, try starting the day with a b’fast containing a good combo of fat/carbs/protein to sustain you throughout the workout. Here’s a good one if you like Avocado—1oz Avocado spread on one slice whole-wheat toast, topped with an egg. It’s less than 200 calories and good source of fat/protein. Then after your workout, feed your muscles with some extra protein—make yourself a healthy smoothie or protein shake (even treat yourself to 8oz of chocolate milk including regular, almond, or even cashew).

AFM~Yesterday had an interesting turn of events, found myself in ortho office after ankle popped and I had some unwavering ankle pain. Which, in turn, found me in the MRI machine at work this morning (thank goodness I get these done for free at work), I should know something from radiologist later today or by tomorrow morning—meanwhile, my doctor halted PT and placed me back in boot until we know results. :worried: I officially follow up with him on Tuesday. I’m stubborn though, nothing will keep me off my bike (unless, of course, he puts me back in a cast)!

Activity this week:

Monday~ Short bike ride outside (weather permitting) NOT DONE
    Tuesday~PT (cancelled)
    Wednesday~Rest Day
    Thursday~PT (cancelled)
    Friday~Bike Outside
    Saturday~Rest Day (Spa Day)
    Sunday~Bike Outside
  • luckylaw
    luckylaw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wish for Wednesday- stay the course! It's so hard on my travel days not to do fast food. Happily I have avoided so far and found a grocery store to buy lunch and afternoon snack!

I may not post a lot but I do read (I hope that's not creepy!). It helps me with motivation, Thank you!
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I respect lima beans plenty. I just don't like them. Much like black eyed peas, they taste of dirt and sadness.

• ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Hi! I love that you started this post! I also have about 100 lbs. to lose. I have had a few setbacks since summer 2015 – I had lost about 30 lbs, then lost my dad, and during that grief gained the 30 back. I started back to logging better etc. the beginning of this year, and then proceeded to separate my shoulder then get scarlet fever, so I haven’t been very consistent. Now that I seem to be healthy again *knock on wood* I am hoping to get back to a routine!

Since I am jumping in on a Wednesday – at the moment my wish is to be able to get into a routine, overcome the obstacles that will ultimately come along and start seeing some results!

Suzi
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @suzi-- welcome! Wow, that's a lot to handle in a short time. I had a pretty serious shoulder injury about a year and half ago and it did a number on my routine as well. It completely derailed my lifting routine, so I was stuck with pretty much a cardio-only workout. That held my weight loss steady until I got an upper respiratory infection that lasted over 2 months last Fall and couldn't do the cardio either. I gained 10 pounds that I'm still struggling to lose again. Fortunately, I've recently begun lifting again (though much lighter weights than previously), so I'm hopeful the scale will start moving in the right direction soon.

@badnoodle-- your post made me LOL-- dirt and sadness-- hee hee hee!

@luckylaw-- no worries, we've had plenty of "lurkers" over the years-- we don't mind. :smile:

@kelley-- Oh no! I am crossing my fingers and toes that your ankle doesn't have a new injury.

@celtik-- Sorry you have to wait for people to appreciate your work-- that's tough. What kind of dogs do you have? Are they actually a type of terrier or was that just descriptive? I love that you are working with them on their manners, so many people don't care if their dogs jump and bark, especially if the dogs are small. I think they assume that since the dogs "can't hurt anyone" it's okay for them to jump. With gunner weighing 90-ish lbs, I've really had no choice but to make him behave for fear he will injure someone, but I would've trained him not to jump even if he only weighed 5 lbs.

@niki-- Hi!!

@tom-- I concur with badnoodle.

@jackie-- good luck car shopping! I do research on Consumer Report's website. If you're looking for a new car, you can purchase a report with all of the manufacturers rebates, etc. to see what you should "really" pay. They recommend you take that scaled-down cost and add anywhere from 2-6% commission for the salesperson. I've always figured out what I will pay with 2% and 4% and then request online quotes from area dealerships. That way I've determined the price before I walk through the door to purchase.

Wednesday Wish:
    That I can get through these last 9 papers tonight and tomorrow at school, so I can cross them off my list before I collect junior research papers on Friday.

Grading Goals:
    1. 29/41 AP Lit Theory papers

Fitness Goals for the month of April:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 2 5ks/week
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: 1/2
    I will run an 8k three times: 1/3

You vs Year Challenge:
    143 k done/ 857k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Tues-- rest day
    Wed-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • jaded33jade
    jaded33jade Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @sisijamison First congrats on the birth of your son (a year late but..) I to have gained a lot of weight quickly. After each of my kids I found it was very hard to get the extra weight off. But it wasn't anything I was really worried about. (back then) I quit smoking almost 3 years ago, and strangely enough that is when I started having all kinds of medical problems. I gained way more than I have in my life in a very short amount of time. I mean like 6 months. I have been maintaining the weight ever since. I am also trying to loose weight on my own here, it can be a bit difficult. But keep your head up and keep working you have friends here that are going through the same thing.

@Sgt_Pepper33 I hope you are feeling better by now. Don't beat yourself up missing a day of exercise, out bodies need a break once in awhile. Don't worry about going a bit over the calories once in awhile, it happens to everyone, we all want to indulge in those treats sometimes. Just use moderation. :) You got this :)

@janek1705 Welcome, glad you are here. There are lots of people here that are very motivational. We are all in this together. :) I understand not having that at home. My mom keeps saying she needs to loose weight but she isn't trying at all really. But we all have each other and that is awesome. :)

@mookybear20 Welcome, glad you are here. :) Don't hate looking at your pictures that is you and you should love yourself. You cannot change the past but you can change the future. Congratulations on your marriage. I also do lots of crafts from crochet, knit, paint and even basket weaving. :) It's a great feeling when you finish a project and love the outcome.
    Keep a close watch on those headaches. If they get worse make sure to talk to your dr. keep up the great work. :)

@jackiefrost1013 Welcome to the group, glad you are here. Sorry to hear about your mother in law. :(
    Congratulations on the new change. As a former smoker I understand how difficult it was to lay those down. And I have to say GREAT weight loss so far. That is totally awesome. :) woohooo. you are welcome add me if you like. I always say the more friends the better ;)

@mckiea90 welcome to the group glad you are here. :)

@kah68 great save. you are a hero to that family. :) Sorry about your ankle I hope all is ok hugs

@ohsointricate8 Welcome to the group glad your here. Slow and steady is great progress. ;;)

@tracyann1983 welcome to the group glad your here. great loss so far keep it up :)

@jackiefrost1013 I have also had trouble posting before. Once it didn't even post at all. :(
    great goals btw ;)

@alesiasmith82 glad your here and welcome to the group. I have found lots of friends here that are all very motivational and encouraging ;)

@ScarletFyre welcome to the group glad your here. :)

If I missed anyone I'm sorry, There have been lots of great post since my last check in. Lots of newbies welcome to all glad your all here. I saw a lot of great losses and some NSV also WAY TO GO GUYS!!!!

It's been a few days since my last post. I did loose back that weight back down to my last weigh in. So glad for that. I totally forgot to check my weight this morning. I hope I remember tomorrow. It has been a stressful week, and sadly it has just started. lol I'm teaching my oldest son to drive. He is doing great btw, but today we had to drive threw the yard around back and a small branch got caught under the undercarriage and ripped a flap off the side of the engine. Poor thing thought he did something wrong. I had to tell him several times it was nothing he did. :) Wasn't a big deal anyway. The parts needed to fix it wasn't even $5 lol

My only goal right now is still to be able to walk 2 miles through out the day. I have gotten close but not hit the mark yet. But I'm not giving up ;)
  • celtikgirl
    Options
    Porter is a Jack Russell Terrier/Schnauzer mix, a year and a half old and about 15 pounds. He is very skittish, and very protective of me. He tends to act out aggressively if he thinks he or I are threatened. (Growls, jumps, chases, nips). I'm trying to teach him that none of that is necessary. Gimli is a 25 pound combination of miniature dachshund/Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. He is not at all aggressive, but mouthy enough and he jumps up on people. I have been trying to find places where I can expose them to other people and animals, yet have some control over other people's actions. There is a small park near my house that works well, and the staff at the local pet store are getting used to seeing them on a pretty regular basis as well. I need to be more purposeful and consistent with all of this. Now that the weather is better I try to take them out somewhere at least 3 times a week.

AFM - I had a sucky eating day - need to do much better tomorrow. And I worked late, so I didn't get to the gym. Need to make up some of that time tomorrow too.
  • luckylaw
    luckylaw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @celtikgirl I have a 70lb English bulldog. I've taught him not to jump on me but he does it to other people and it drives me crazy because they pet him when he does it. I don't know how to make him learn when he keeps getting rewarded for it! He was so easy to train on everything else!

Truth Thursday: I'm worried that my weight is going to kill me. I was in the ER again last Friday for pain and high blood pressure. I've really been trying hard to clean up my diet since then.
  • River314
    River314 Posts: 66 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hello everyone! This seems like a good group of folks! Great way to keep accountable. I've been tracking my food intake for the last 3 weeks. It's time to get nose to the grindstone in this weight loss business.

Allow me to begin....

I've always been an overweight adult. I hovered around 200 lbs or so most of my adult life. Then I got in a long term relationship and later married. That's when the pounds came on with a vengeance. My husband himself is overweight, and for a long time, he's been happy with his body. Or says he is. He's now having difficulty with menial tasks, and some of our friends and I have been telling him it's time to shed some pounds. This is where I come in for myself.

I told him we're going to do this together. We'll be more successful. I've been faithful in recording everything I eat, praying I'm a good influence on him. So far I'm the one actively attempting anything, which right now is awareness of what I eat. He is, however, eating what I serve him. Baby steps is the approach I'm taking with him. I'm going to eat better by eating higher protein and fiber, but not necessarily low carb.

I have noticed I consume a lot of sugar and was wondering what y'all have used in place of it, especially when it comes to snacks? Change is a-coming!

I noticed some people on here crochet. So do I! Love doing it when I remember to take out my current project! Lol!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Chocolate-Covered Cashews Day!

I like lima beans :) I have been eating my Mom's lima bean and eggplant casserole for years. It is not very healthy but I love it. It has fried eggplant, lima beans, and cream of mushroom soup with those little fried onions on top like a lot of green bean casseroles. I was in the hospital with a broken leg for a month in traction when I was in high school and on a low calorie diet. I had my Mom smuggle in some of the casserole which was my only cheat of the diet. An orderly caught me eating it and when he heard what it was he let me have it and did not rat me out to the Dr. :)

River314-When I was told I have diabetes I stopped eating refined sugar. I only have natural sugar from fruit now. I do not miss sugar now much. Once I stopped eating it or at least cut way down I do not even miss it much. I can tell right away if there is sugar in things I eat as it tastes too sweet. Fruit is your friend when you need sweet.

” You don't cure emotional eating by removing all comfort foods. You do it by learning how to comfort yourself.” ~Karen Salmansohn

11857432.png

Tom
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Went through the post and love it. This is such a great group!

I have my fitbitch on (LOL!) and am trying to walk at least my last week’s average every day, thinking that will slowly increase my average and walking. Let me know if anyone thinks that is a good idea.

I am so sore and achy, this is before I started walking, and now, maybe because of activity/walking, my hip is bothering me. I bet it will turn out to be arthritis, which runs in my family but too lazy/tired/scared to go get check out. I hope with move activity and maybe dropping a couple pounds will help.
  • kah68
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Karen ~Hope you got through the grading and DHs car is fixed!

@luckylaw ~I’m sorry for the health scare. Just try to make small changes to your diet, sodium is a big one for blood pressure—try and concentrate on that before making any more changes. Too much at once can be overwhelming.

Welcome to @ScarletFrye and @River314!

@River314 ~I agree with Tom (@Morgori), fruit can really take the place of something sweet. I tend not to eat many sweets—since I started eating a healthier diet it isn’t something I have much of a taste for. Occasionally, I do want some chocolate—I tend to reach for dark chocolate (80% cacao). I have never added sweetener to drinks like coffee or tea, so haven’t needed to substitute for sugar.

AFM~I got the results of my MRI this morning, I have split-tear in a tendon on the outside of my ankle (this is the same foot that I had Achilles tendon reconstruction on last year)—I don't know the direction of the tear or the size or if its old or new. The radiologist noted a few more findings in his report, I’ll learn more when I follow-up with my ortho on Tuesday. Not sure if this will require surgery or not—if it does, I hope I can postpone it. Meanwhile, I’m in a boot and sidelined from activity—again. :frowning:
  • kah68
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Its a sad day in music, I just read and its been confirmed that Prince died today. :cry: One of the most memorable concerts I've been to was his Purple Rain concert.
  • celtikgirl
    Options
    @River314 I hope you are successful in influencing your husband. My husband has always been a big guy, but over the few years he had somehow gotten up to almost 450 pounds. I tried for to bring these things to his attention and help him make changes, but like other addictions, he wasn't ready until he was ready. Thankfully, whatever that switch is, it went off, and we have both been working on this healthier, smaller thing since January. It kind of annoys me when he asks me how I could have let him get so bad before he did something about it, as if it was my responsibility. But mostly I am just happy he can breathe normally now. Even if you hubby doesn't take the hint, go ahead and do this for you. That way when he's ready, you will have some practice and experience to share.

@kah68 I hear your story, and a couple of other people I know, and I have decided that I will do whatever it takes to NOT damage a tendon. Jeez they take forever to diagnose, and heal!
  • tinaf2013
    tinaf2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Tina
    wanted to say hi
  • Sgt_Pepper33
    Sgt_Pepper33 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Welcome @ScarletFyre! I'm sorry to hear about your father, but it's wonderful you are taking this step for yourself. I wish you luck, and hope to keep seeing your posts here! :)

@River314 Welcome to the group! As some others have mentioned, it's great to hope for your husband's health, but I've been in that other position (my mom always wanted me to lose weight), and I know I would never listen to anyone. I had to decide to do it for myself before I would put my oomph into it! But I'm excited that you are starting this journey for yourself, and I hope you find the group helpful! I have so far!

@Morgori Now I can get on board with chocolate covered cashews!!! mmmmm..And that casserole you mentioned: that sounds amazing! I might have to try it..

@jaded33jade Thanks for the pep talk! I am feeling much better, and I'm ok with taking a rest day when I need it. Also, I've gone over my calories twice now, and I have not beaten myself up. I just get back on the train the next day. My friend told me there is no such thing as perfection, so don't strive for it. And she is right. I will make mistakes, but it's not a failure if I continue. And good luck teaching your son how to drive! My own learning to drive doesn't seem like it was all too long ago, and I only hope he is better than I was!!! ;)

@ushkii I'm sorry your hip is bothering you now that you've started getting active. I hope it's not arthritis and that the more you walk, the better it will get. I have knee issues and had to give up jogging for awhile. I think I was a little overambitious to start.

@kah68 Oh goodness! I'm so very sorry to hear about you tendon! I hope it doesn't keep you down for too long. Keep us updated on what you find out!

@celtikgirl Your dogs sound adorable! And great job for working on their manners. I have an 8 month old long-haired chihuahua and she really loves all people (which is great because some chihuahuas don't), but she does jump up on people and get overly excited. I should work on her as well.

Hopefully I got you all! :smiley:

And me: Well, I got on the scale today. I decided to do it twice this week since Monday I hadn't lost any and I wanted to see if it was just that day or what. Got on today and...lost 4 lbs! That's 15 in total so far and the farthest I've ever gotten on trying to lose weight. I'm excited that my work is paying off. My first goal is to lose 5% of my body weight and that will be accomplished when I lose 2 more pounds. I kind of want to reward myself with something, but I'm not sure of a good reward. I haven't lost enough to get something big, but I want to acknowledge that I have made progress. Any ideas?

This weekend I'm roadtripping to Scottsbluff, NE to stay with my brother for a few days. I've decided I probably won't be logging my food during that time, but I still want to try not to go too overboard. This is my first time going away from home while on this diet, and I was wondering: how have you kept eating somewhat healthy when on a trip? I know we will be going to Wyoming and shopping and eating out a few times, and any advice helps.

Thank you for reading this incredibly long message! You made it to the end! :smile:
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    @Sgt_Pepper33 i made a list of non food rewards for myself and keep it in my fitness journal. They include going to the movies (watching the snacks), new workout gear in different price ranges, getting a manicure, buying a new book, etc. All price ranges available, and Its there so when i meet a goal, i can choose an appropriate reward for myself. try it with things that mean something special to you.
  • Courtney9233
    Courtney9233 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Courtney. I need motivation to keep trying to lose weight. I have a problem. The docs tell me my body is in starvation mode. I am trying to make myself eat but it seems like the wrong things. Just help me.