Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• jaded33jade
    jaded33jade Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @celtikgirl - it's not easy but if your consent you can train your dog not to do those things that are not acceptable. If you have a local Pet Smart in your area they have a low cost training class. Strangly enough I watched a lot of the dog whisper and got a lot of good tips on how to train my dog. Every dog is different and need different training ;)

@luchylaw - I hope you are doing better now. You can do this. :)

@River314 - It is very good tracking your food, this site makes it much easier to do. I noticed you said you didn't want to do low carb, but I wanted to let you know that by lowering your carb intake will make you and your husband loose weight faster. Since you are being active and from what I understand he isn't, you may want to make him low carb foods to help him get to where the task he needs and wants to do are not so difficult. As for sweetener we use equal and splenda, truva is great also, I like to use it when cooking something that calls for sugar because you only need half of what the recipe calls for. :) I also love knitting and crochet. I am currently working on knitting a nice pull over shirt. :) Keep shinning ;)

@kah68 - I am so sorry to hear about your ankle. I do hope it heals fast for you. Keep your head up.

@tinaf2013 - Hello and welcome to this group. I hope you tell us a little about your self soon. :)

@Sgt_Pepper33 - I am so glad to hear you are feeling better :) Your friend is right, noone is perfect, we shouldn't try to be, we should just try to be the best we can be. :) My son is doing great driving btw. Much better now than his first time out lol
    Great weight-loss. keep it up :) Have a great trip, and I understand you are not going to be able to log your food while there. A way to help with that is to just keep a note pad with you and write it down, that way you can still see the amount of food you are eating each day. Again Great Job :) Have fun on your trip..

AFM - I have had a busy day so to speak, I ran up down the stairs 3 times (because I'm forgetful lol) Listening to music causes dancing and no way I cook without music. :) I got all the vegie peelings and coffee grounds for the fertlizer bin, and even made the kids an apple pie for later. :) I still haven't hit that 2 mile mark but still working on it. :wink: You all have a wonderful day. and keep it up
  • River314
    River314 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    @jaded33jade I tried low carb several years ago and was successful in losing over 30 lbs. Right now I simply want to focus on making better choices and working my way towards something my husband will do. I have a few tricks up my sleeve, maybe he'll bite.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi y'all, had a great night tonight. Played hooky from work with my sis and I was able to finish my ceramic cross. Then we had dinner at a local Mexican restaurant (OMG Sooo good!) and then saw the new Jungle Book movie. Had a great time, well worth the extra 400 calories and the time off work.
    Here are our two crosses, that's my sister holding her unfinished one, and the other is my finished product:rn92yyrdl7n5.jpg
    nxyv1idw7wo4.jpg
  • Kimber8317
    Kimber8317 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm looking to lose over 100lbs....does anyone have tips or advice that has worked for them...
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kimber and all the other new folks!

The only advice I can share is to figure out what works for you and keep doing it. For me it is a calorie limit and exercise. For some people it helps to start off with wholesale dedication to a highly structured plan where each meal is preplanned. Others find it easier to stick with it if they make just one small change at a time - eliminating one or two less healthy foods, or adding one serving of vegetables to each meal. Still others thrive on challenges, deadlines, or milestones like a wedding or big, public celebration. Sometimes it is a combination of all of the above.

Whichever you choose, just know that you will have days when six ghirardelli chocolate caramel squares and two slices of pizza slip down your throat. Or days when the very last thing you want to do is put on your sneakers and work out. And sometimes those all happen on the same day. As long as those days are not frequent, you will still have success!

I like this group for some simple reasons - no one is entirely wacko, at least in their writings, except maybe me, there isn't anyone whining about losing five pounds to get back in to their size 0 jeans (who knew those existed!), and we've all been in that "OMG I need to lose the equivalent of a whole person" place at least once in our lives.
  • Kimber8317
    Kimber8317 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks Celtikgirl! sounds like I have found a great place for support through my journey. I'm currently highly motivated and on track but I know I will need support through the Ghirardelli and pizza days.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Most people know that you shouldn't go to the grocery store when you're hungry.

This is doubly true when talking about Sam's or Costco. I didn't get out of the office until after 7, and I needed to go by Sam's and pick up la under soap. But I wound up walking out with 5lbs of mangos, 4 lbs of plums, a sack of apples, and a flat each of blackberries and strawberries. Dinner wound up being pretty much nothing but fruit, and it felt really good to totally quench a craving without breaking my allowance.

It's a good thing I live with a man-sized fruitbat, because I'm pretty sure I'd never be able to finish all that before it went bad. :D
  • MzSophiaJ
    MzSophiaJ Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hiya all I have been struggling and need some motivation. I lost 15 pounds and I still need to lose about 60 pounds. I have stayed the same since Easter and I am breastfeeding a toddler whilst trying to lose weight. Its just that for the last month I have stayed the same and I have started to lose motivation to weigh ALL my food. I don't want to give up . I want to keep going. Remain focused and do this. Any words of wisdom
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd check in. I'm a lifetime member at WW - having lost 133 lbs to get there. 14 years later I found myself with most of those pounds back and 14 years older. Sigh. Anyway, I'm determined that I can, at the very least, get out of plus size clothes again. When I lost before I was hanging out with a very fit group of single friends from church and the peer pressure helped a lot. Now I'm married and not hanging out with any fit folks, and 50 is less than a year away. Then it was about looking better and finding a mate, now it's about getting healthy and living longer. I'm doing OK with the eating piece, but haven't pushed myself to exercise and I know I must. I've lost about 22 pounds since January and I'm happy with that. I just want to keep the scale moving in the right direction, and I look forward to getting under 200 lbs again - something I don't expect to happen until 2017.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Wow, can't believe I haven't checked in since Wednesday--so many posts and newlings!! :smile:

@texteach-- Welcome! My advice is to find something active you enjoy. For some it's structured gym classes, for others it's working out solo, other folks like outdoor activities like cycling or hiking. For me it's walking my dog, running, and strength training at the gym. I also LOVE it when I can burn lots of calories and be productive--like doing yard work.

@mzsophia-- it is normal to hit plateaus from time to time, especially if you have been consistently eating the same amount of calories daily for awhile. Your body will adjust to that calorie intake and slow your metabolism to compensate, but if you stick with it you will push past the plateau. It's hard to give any specific advice without knowing your net calorie intake and BMR. I did see you are breast feeding are you taking that calorie expenditure into account when calculating your intake?

@badnoodle-- part of the reason I don't buy more fruit is that my DH rarely eats it, so it always goes bad.

@kimber-- Celtik already gave you some good advice. As a 5 year member of MFP and this thread, I will reiterate a few of my favorite thoughts for you and the other newlings:
    1. Start each day fresh--dwelling on yesterday's eating binge or missed workout will only lead to using it as an excuse to not do well today.
    2. Don't ever go hungry. Your body needs fuel to burn fat, just as a fire needs logs to blaze brightly. Focus on putting nutritious fuel in your body and you will never need to feel hunger pangs.
    3. If you do want fuel that isn't as nutritious--a cocktail with friends, a sliver of birthday cake at your kid's party, ice cream because it's delicious--you can make up for it with extra activity. Just remember, you can't outrun your fork--meaning, you can't make up for a consistently terrible diet with exercise, but you can make up for an occasional treat.
    4. Sweat is your fat crying.

@tracy (tx)-- sounds like a fun night out with your sister. The Jungle Book was one of my favorite novels as a kid, and I've heard the movie is spectacular.

@courtney-- please see #2 above. Are you struggling with eating enough or with healthy choices?

@kelley-- Argh! I'm so sorry about your MRI results. I know that's not the news you wanted--I hope the prognosis doesn't involve another surgery. The car is fixed and I'm trudging through the grading. I did finish those essays, but have a bunch of new stuff on my plate. Like you, I was saddened by Prince's passing. I didn't see the Purple Rain tour, but did see him in 2004 for the Musicology tour. Bowie's death hit me harder; he was my childhood. But Prince was so much more of a surprise b/c he was so young.

@ushkii-- sorry about your hip pain. You already know you should get it checked out, so I won't nag. ;) Regardless of what it is, losing weight will likely help.

@cetlik-- yes, consistency is key with training the pups, but I know from experience that's easier said than done.

If I didn't respond to you with a personal, it's b/c others probably already gave you some good advice. Hello to everyone I skipped this round. :smiley:

AFM-- I finished the AP essays, but have a whole new batch to start on along with some other grading. Did a bit today after mowing the lawn for the first time this season. Yikes do we have a lot of weeds! I had no time to start popping dandelions--perhaps tomorrow.

Grading Goals:
    1. 8/41 Yeats journals
    2. 2/59 parody speeches
    3. x/21 persuasive surveys

Fitness Goals for the month of April:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 2 5ks/week
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: 1/2
    I will run an 8k three times: 1/3

You vs Year Challenge:
    143 k done/ 857k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner + yard work
    Mon-- walk gunner (meeting)
    Tues-- rest day (meeting)
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • lindabalseca
    lindabalseca Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Linda. I am new to this whole site and stumbled upon this group. My goal is to lose around 150#. I have been on here for 2 weeks and have lost 14#. I have changed my eating drastically but the food diary really helps me stay on track. I desperately need a support/motivational system in order to accomplish my goals.
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Checking in today. Morning Jazzercise class. I noticed a headache/head pain halfway through, so i stopped, took a breather, dialed things back for the rest of class.

I had 2 pieces of mutigrain 80 cal bread with PB and strawberry jelly for breakfast about an hour before, with a glass of milk and a glass of water. I had a small gateraide right after, 24 ounces of water during/after and just had a big smoothie with banana, frozen berries, yogurt and milk. I'm hoping to nix those after class headaches in the butt!

I try to keep track of my water during the day and I did not keep up with it 3 days this week, so my goal is get back on track with drinking 6 glasses or more of water, and to get at least 3 walks in after work this week.
  • MzSophiaJ
    MzSophiaJ Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound I have sent you a PM. Hopefully you see it.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @sophia-- Got it! :smile:

@moody-- hope you find the right combo of food and water to stave off those headaches.

@linda-- welcome!

Sunday Share:
    Since there are so many newlings, here's an little background on me. I'm karen, a HS Lit teacher in the suburbs of Chicago. I'm married with one fur-kid, my boxer/shepherd mix named gunner. I've been on MFP since March 2011 and part of this thread since July 2011.

I started at about 245 lbs lost about 60 stabilizing around 185 for about 2 years. My exercises of choice are running and weight lifting. However, a shoulder injury in Autumn 2014 sidelined the lifting. I've just recently gotten back to it a bit, though my strength and range of motion in my right shoulder are still not 100%. Being limited to cardio for over a year really stalled my weight loss efforts; then in Autumn 2015 I had a nasty upper respiratory infection that lasted over 2 months and kept me from the running as well. Needless to say, I had a backslide of 10 lbs that I'm still trying to reverse.

At 185 I was pretty close to being happy with my weight--wearing a size 12 and occasional 10 in pants and a medium top. Ultimately, I think I would like to get down to 170 or so, but I will know when I get there. My immediate goal is to lose the 10 lbs that are making all of my clothes a wee bit tight. LOL

Grading Goals:
    1. 15/41 Yeats journals
    2. 2/59 parody speeches
    3. 21/21 persuasive surveys DONE

Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k

You vs Year Challenge:
    143 k done/ 857k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + yard work DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Just updating b/c I got some more of my grading goals completed. :smiley:

Grading Goals:
    1. 15/41 Yeats journals
    2. 59/59 parody speeches DONE
    3. 21/21 persuasive surveys DONE

You vs Year Challenge:
    143 k done/ 857k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Good Morning.

@Karen ~Looks like you made really good progress with your grading this weekend, end of the school year is near! :wink:

@moodybear2003 ~Looks like you ate pretty well before your Jazzercise class—good for you for recognizing your symptoms and scaling back for the rest of the class and then re-energizing afterwards with a healthy snack. I hope you get the headaches figured out. Keep up with that water—hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! :wink:

@Tracy (TX)~Yours and your sister’s ceramic cross’s turned out great!

@Kimber8317, @texteach66, and @lindabalseca (and any other newlings I may have missed) welcome!

AFM~Busy weekend of Spring cleaning. Then after a night out with friends on Saturday, lots of running around to do yesterday--plus some cooking and meal prep yesterday. It was a gorgeous weekend around here but allergens kept me inside mostly, I’d like to get outside and do some planting one weekend soon. I did get out for a bike ride yesterday (I didn’t actually ask my ortho last week if I could or couldn’t—so got out for one last ride before he probably tells me no tomorrow :frowning:). While windy, it was a nice & sunny 8-mile ride—warm too. I almost jumped in the pool when I got back but decided it was probably a little too cold for my liking! :lol: I’m not sure what this week will bring, yet.
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Getting off to a slow start for a Monday morning. Time to rev things up a little bit and get some stuff done!

The hounds and my husband let me sleep in yesterday morning, it was lovely. No Porter paws in my face at 5am asking to go outside. I don't know what the occasion was, but if they want to make it a Sunday morning routine, I would be fine with that. Spent the rest of the day cutting grass, pulling weeds, picking up the dead fall. I like the double benefit of getting the exercise AND getting the yard cleaned up. Now, if anyone has any idea how to get rid of the weeds that are growing up in my creeping phlox, without killing the phlox, I'm all ears!
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Monday Check in - @kah68 & @skinnyjeanzbound I think i managed it! I feel a dull ache for part of the day, but I think it was just being tired. I took a nap, and was ready to go to a friend's bonfire.

I Loaded up on healthy snacks from the store over weekend: Dried fruits, veggie chips, nuts, and protein bars for workout days. I made my own trail mix today with dried cherries and cranberries, banana chips, cashews and freeze dried strawberries. It was a great snack at my desk.

I hope to get my walk in this afternoon before the storms hit. Chicagoland is looking to take a beating tonight...
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Like @kah68 and @celtikgirl , I spent a lot of the weekend working in the yard, including excavating, leveling and constructing a stone-walled raised flowerbed around the base of my lamp-post. I put strawberry plants, mini zinnias and clematis in there, so hopefully it will be nice. Although digging out packed rocky clay is no fun, the hardest work is totally the mulching - lift the bags into the car trunk, lift them out of the car trunk, haul them across the yard, and controlled dump and spread. Really made me wish I was doing one of those weight lifting programs they're always talking about on other threads!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @badnoodle-- wow, that's and lot of yard work! All I did this weekend was mow the lawn and pull a few dandelions.
    @celtik-- Yes, that's one of the main reasons I enjoy yard work as well!

@kelley-- Yes, I'm counting down the days!!

Monday Check-in:
    Well, I got a bit more grading completed. I need to finish these journals, and then devote my time to getting the AP students' last in-class essays graded before their AP Exam on May 4th.

Still no gym time due to my meeting after work and same for tomorrow. Shooting for a workout on Wednesday. Calories were over, but I was quite a bit under this weekend due to all of the yard work. I only logged a portion of the time I spent in hopes that I wouldn't eat back ALL my calories and could carry some over into the work week. I really think I need to start intentionally zig-zagging my calories again; it's so much more realistic for my lifestyle where I burn a lot of calories on the weekend, but relatively few during the work week. Ugh, math.

I got home early enough to walk gunner, but we had some severe storms roll through. I was willing to try to dodge the raindrops, but gunner wasn't having any of it. Good thing, too, because we got some nasty hail. I wouldn't have wanted to be out walking in that!

Grading Goals:
    1. 26/41 Yeats journals
    2. x/41 AP essays

You vs Year Challenge:
    143 k done/ 857k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner (meeting) NOT DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym