Options

Replies

• Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Glazed Spiral Ham Day!
    Today is National Glazed Spiral Ham Day! Glazed spiral ham is a hearty, savory dish that often makes an appearance at holiday feasts. A traditional ham glaze contains sugar, honey or orange juice, and flavorful ingredients like cloves, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
    Americans have been making glazed ham for many years. Recipes for the dish first appeared in local newspapers during the 1940s. Around the same time, a man named Harry Hoenselaar invented a piece of equipment that could efficiently cut glazed ham into uniform slices. His patented machine carved the ham into a single, continuous spiral. In 1957, Honeselaar opened the first HoneyBaked Ham store. Today, the company has over 400 stores nationwide and sells millions of glazed spiral hams during the holiday season.
    If you’ve never tried this delicious treat before, don’t wait until the holidays! Serve a delicious glazed ham for dinner tonight in honor of National Glazed Spiral Ham Day!

Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. ~Ambrose Bierce

11857432.png

Tom
  • sisijamison
    sisijamison Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hello all, i had my son last year and gained about 85lbs on top of 210... its been very depressing. i started to eat better and light exercise but im not all that motivated. my husband doesnt struggle with fat issues so i dont think he fully understands my plight... i have friends who want to lose too but they arent consistent. i just would like a little push every once in awhile... i need to lose at least 100lbs. i dont have a time limit i want to do it in a healthy way... im tired of hating how i look and feel...
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    kah68 wrote: »
    Not a single post yesterday—that is almost unheard of. I hope the few of us regulars that remain can hold this thread together, it would be sad if this thread disappeared after all of this time. Work kept me from posting last couple of days.

That was the sound of all of us trying to get our work done on Thursday so we could bug out early on Friday afternoon. I wish it was true, but I'm nowhere near finished for the day.

Decided to forego the gym after work yesterday and replace it with yardwork. We have beds with over 300 varieties of hostas that take up about a third of our acre. My husband has a hosta obsession that I don't always understand. It's better than substance abuse, though maybe not cheaper. I raked out the last of the fall leaves and assorted debris in all of them and pulled weeds where they were most aggregious. For my efforts I made my 10,000 steps for the first time ever, and my fitbitch had a little party on my arm. Tonight I need to do battle with some everblooming rose bushes that are also apparently immortal. They are evil and must be destroyed.

Our weekend weather looks like it will be near perfect, but I have an early call to work tomorrow - hopefully done by noon and free to play the rest of the weekend. All this talk of bikes has me thinking I should drag mine out of the basement and put it to good use. I'd like to get my motorcycle running again too, but that will require a little more studying of the Haynes manual and a trip to the parts store.
  • Sgt_Pepper33
    Sgt_Pepper33 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @celtikgirl Please please tell me you meant to write "fitbitch" instead of "fitbit"! I had a hearty chuckle at it, and will probably be calling mine that when I finally get one! Also, I would love to see that many flowers when they bloom

@sisijamison Hi! I bet we can give you a little nudge when you need it. ;) I just recently joined MFP, and so far I'm really pleased. I hope you have the same experience

@kah68 Oh, a bike ride sounds wonderful! I think I will be limited to the inside stationary bike today because it's super windy here

Yesterday was the first day in 18 days that I didn't really exercise, and even though I tried not to worry about it, I felt a little guilty. I think I had a flu bug or something because I was so extremely tired. I took a couple naps, and went to bed very early. I did try to do a strength training video but only got 13 minutes in before I just couldn't take it. Today I'm feeling better and hope I can get a good workout in. However, if any of you have any advice on how not to beat myself up for barely exercising a day, or even for going a little over calories for a day, I would be glad to hear it. I don't want to get overstrict on myself, but I still want to take it seriously..It's hard for me to strike a healthy balance. I just made some chocolate chip cookies, and even though they are supposed to be healthier, I get tempted easily when sweets around. BUT, I accidentally read the recipe wrong and put in waaay too much baking soda, and they turned out weird making me not as tempted to eat them. Blessing in disguise?? :) Have a good day all!
  • celtikgirl
    Options
    My sister refers to her fitbit by that name and it seems to have stuck. Sometimes I debate whether it is motivating and beneficial, or if I have become some new kind of zombie slave to an electronic device.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Things continue to truck right along here in the Pacific Northwest. My exercising has been pretty good for last few weeks but food was definitely off the last couple days. Back under control today though. I was supposed to meet with the trainer today since I have a birthday party to go to tomorrow. It didn't happen though. I was doing great, got the dogs walked for 5k steps, then picked up the house. I had several hours until my meeting so I decided to mow the yard. Good news that got my steps over 11k but I managed to smash my pinky finger between the mower and the trampoline. Now I am rocking a broken finger and no training for today. At least it's on my left hand so won't slow me down for to long. I would do personals but I am on my phone so can't check back to remember what I wanted to say. So just remember I am here cheering you on and you are all awesome :):)
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @jtconst - Owwww! so sorry to hear about the broken finger! Great job getting your exercise in!
    @celtikgirl - fitbitch, how great is that. I shall so name mine (when I get one)....
    @sisijamison - welcome ! We are all in the same boat, more or less - some have been here for awhile, some are new. We all try to support one another and help keep each other on track.
    @susan2396 - your stores must have been swamped today, wish I'd known before I came to work that it was National Glazed Spiral Ham day, I might just have had to stop by our local HoneyBaked store and picked one up!

Well, @Sgt_Pepper33 - I have to admit to being in the same boat, I haven't gotten any exercise in for some time, am skating along at the top of my calorie budget (1320) and not making much progress. How 'bout we kick each other's behinds to get into motion?
    Tracy (TX)
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys!!
    Sorry I haven't posted, but I've been keeping up with posts. Very busy here with sessions going longer than expected. I didn't even have time to work out yesterday, but today I slipped in a quick run before dinner. I've finished a couple of grading tasks, but it's hard to get essays done b/c I need to listen to the debate going on on the assembly floor.

Grading Goals:
    1. 8/41 AP Lit Theory papers
    2. 12/21 Speech outlines DONE b/c only 12 turned them in :(
    3. 21/21 Speech tests DONE

Fitness Goals for the month of April:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 2 5ks/week
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: 1/2
    I will run an 8k three times: 1/3

You vs Year Challenge:
    143 k done/ 857k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Wed-- rest day
    Thurs-- work out at hotel NOT DONE
    Fri-- work out at hotel DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • janek1705
    janek1705 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I've had this app for a while but recently started using it again. Hope to really stick to it. It's time for a big change. I struggle with PCOS, pretty much a hormonal disbalance that has a bunch of unwanted side effect and one of them being weight loss. I finally seem to be managing that thanks to some doctor's and medication (not gaining weight anymore). Now it's time to really loose some but unfortunately I do not have much motivation at home as no one in my family or home struggle with the kind of weight I do. I'm tired of not feeling right and uncomfortable. Just hope to find some motivation here. Thanks!
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone. My name is Heather. I work in the HR dept of a local Grocery chain (desk job). I've always been heavy, but starting this job almost 2 years ago has lead to a gain of 30+ pounds. I've started and stopped, tried and failed to lose weight so many times.

But I have been food logging for about a month now. I got a Jawbone UP move to help track steps and sleep. I have also started a fitness journal with some daily activity, weight loss and measurement loss goals to help me get on track and accountable. I am planning on joining a jazzercize class tomorrow. I took the free trial class and loved it.

I am a newlywed. I HATE seeing how fat I am in my wedding pictures. I wish I could go back in time and change everything. My husband is loving and supportive, we have no children (yet). Just a fluffy cat named Bailey. I like being creative, and I frequently knit, paint, or jump into some new art or craft.

I would like to drop 100 pounds, I can't even remember a time when I weighed 190.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @heather-- welcome to the thread. :) It sounds like you are off to a great start with the logging and exercise. You will find a lot of support here with many who share similar experiences and feelings (trying and failing in the past, wishing we could go back and do this prior to some big life event). One thing I've learned over the 5 years I've been on this site and working toward my fitness goals is that those negative thoughts do nothing to move me forward. Instead, I try to focus my energy on setting goals and becoming the healthy person I know I can be. Come back often so we get to know you.

@janek-- welcome to you as well. :) We've had some members of this thread who've had the challenge of PCOS--glad to hear you've found a doctor and meds to help you move past that struggle. This is a very motivating and supportive group-- come back and share often and you will benefit from all of the discussion.

@tracy (tx)-- I'm also flirting with my upper limit on most days. I get into a good run of 2 or 3 days of eating really well, and then some event or meeting pops up and I'm off track for days. My weight keeps bouncing up and down in the same 5 lbs, and it's really no mystery why, but I still can't seem to get it in gear for the long term.

@tammy-- Ouch! So sorry to hear about your finger; glad it's not on your dominant hand, but it still sounds painful.

@celtik-- haha! too funny about the fitbit! We also love our hostas, but I've yet to get out in the yard and do my spring clean-up of the garden beds. The weather is finally cooperating; now I just need to find the time.

@sgtpepper-- Rest days are absolutely beneficial for your body. Giving your muscles a full day of recovery once in awhile will allow you to push them even harder at your next workout, so don't feel guilty about skipping a day now and then, especially if you aren't feeling well. As for going over calories-- that too can be helpful to your long-term goals. When you are on a strict calorie deficit day after day, your body learns to predict how much you will eat and your metabolism slows a bit to adjust for the decrease in fuel. Therefore, having a day every now and then where you go a bit over your typical intake can help prevent weight-loss plateaus. Of course, the key is to try to do it with healthy foods that won't trigger a binge (if you're prone to that) and not to go so far over that you negate your previous deficit.

@sisijamison -- welcome to you as well. As I mentioned to the other newlings, this is a great thread! :)

@tom-- good to see your post!

@kelley-- yeah, I had a good plan, but the meetings on Thursday made it impossible to get to the gym prior to dinner. I will say that I did better at Fogo than when we went last year. I limited drinks to just one Caipirinha, and a friend and I split desserts-- she got the decadent chocolate cake, and I got the much lighter papaya cream. That being said, I'm sure it was still a boatload of calories. For dinner on Friday, I went much lighter with a spinach salad with grilled chicken and a dijon vinagrette.

@jaded-- glad to hear your aunt is doing better. Keep walking and you will be amazed at how quickly you will build up to that 2 miles and beyond.

Saturday Success:
    Made it through our Representative Assembly without eating too much junk, and though I only made it to the fitness center on Friday, we did a lot of walking and I also always took the stairs down. I tried once going up, but I was on the 9th floor and that was a bit much for me. Last year, I was on 5 and that was perfect-- I will have to remember to ask for the 5th or 6th floor next year.

I still have a lot of essays to grade, but at least I finished everything else on my list. I plan to spend most of tomorrow grading. I doubt I'll finish all 30, but I'd like to get at least half of them done. We'll see...

Grading Goals:
    1. 11/41 AP Lit Theory papers

Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k

You vs Year Challenge:
    143 k done/ 857k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Wed-- rest day
    Thurs-- work out at hotel NOT DONE
    Fri-- work out at hotel DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Oh, I almost forgot! After grading, I met a friend at a local bar to enjoy a drink on their patio in this beautiful weather, and it turns out Lady Gaga had just left. Another friend of mine had been there and took this pic of her leaving:

nyj7utln6o9z.jpg
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Got a few papers done, plus a walk with gunner in our almost 80 degree sunshine. Now I'm taking a break to do some shopping. Hoping to get at least 5 more graded later.

Grading Goals:
    1. 18/41 AP Lit Theory papers

You vs Year Challenge:
    143 k done/ 857k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner + gym
    Tues-- rest day
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • YAYA_of_2
    YAYA_of_2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!! I am happy to join MFP. I'm here as I too have a lot of weight to loose. I weighed my heaviest 304, on February 10. I had eaten a lot out or depression while taking care of my mother in law who was diagnosed witch pancreatic cancer the previous May. She was only 57.
  • YAYA_of_2
    YAYA_of_2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!! I am happy to join MFP. I'm here as I too have a lot of weight to loose. I weighed my heaviest 304, on February 10. I had eaten a lot out or depression while taking care of my mother in law who was diagnosed witch pancreatic cancer the previous May. She was only 57. She passed on January 15 and my husband and I promised her that we would get healthy and take better care of ourselves.

On February 14 my new life began. I quit smoking, quit drinking soda. I had to have three McDonald's sweet teas a day beforehand, I gave those up too. No more fast food, processed food, and junk food. I only drink water now and some times I do drink a cup of green tea with honey. Increased my fruits and veggies, and try to eat only grass fed meats with no hormones or antibiotics, although that is not always possible.

I am down to 267 as of today. I joined MFP 3 days ago and I love it. It really help me keep track of everything and keeps me accountable. I love being part of a community that has people in the same boat as me. I am up to adding friends. I log daily, and my diary is open. Please feel free to add me and I look forward to chatting and getting to know you all!
  • mckiea90
    mckiea90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    My name is Anna and I am a nurse. Last year, and probably many years prior, I found myself spiraling in depression. There were days I couldn't get off the couch. I was completely inactive on my days off and when I worked I would come home drained of energy. I am a new person now. I am surrounded by supportive friends, family, and especially my wife. Losing weight, eating healthy and drinking water has almost cured me of negative thinking. I happy to constantly surround myself with positive and motivating energy and hope to find that from this community
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @jackiefrost1013 ~Welcome! Congrats on your incredible success so far and the healthy changes you’ve made!

@mckiea90 (Anna)~Welcome to you also, this is a great thread. You’ll find a lot of support and motivation here.
    Throughout this process, and life in general, I’ve discovered I need to surround myself with positive people—there were relationships in my life at one time that were just toxic and I had to dissolve those, its unhealthy.

@Karen ~Glad your Assembly went well and you’ve managed to get through some grading also. Sounds like you’ve had some really nice weather to get out with gunner too! :smile: It’s been soggy here—so no cycling since Friday. :frowning:

@Tammy ~I’m so sorry to hear about your finger, I hope it heals quickly!

@celtikgirl~ LOL at what you and your sister are calling your Fitbit’s!

@sgt_pepper33 ~If I waited for it to be a non-windy day for riding my bike outside, I’d be a long wait! LOL Its just one of those things, along with the heat, you get used to it—hate the headwind though (esp going uphill). :lol:

AFM~Another busy weekend. A friend came by Friday; we biked over to the park and back rescuing a sweet puppy along the way and returning it to its owner. Towards the end of our ride, as we were circling back in the park to head back into my neighborhood we found her laying in the shade—she ran up to us. Luckily she had tags—the owner didn’t answer her phone when I called but her vets office was still open, the vet was able to get a hold of the owner and their house was on our route. After that we went to one of my favorite places for happy hour, grabbed a beer and shared some fish tacos (note to self, beer hits the spot after a hot bike ride :yum:). The rest of the weekend was spent prepping for my software certification exam coming up in 31-days (eek)!

Activity this week:

Monday~ Short bike ride outside (weather permitting)
    Tuesday~PT (may have to cancel)
    Wednesday~Rest Day
    Thursday~PT
    Friday~Bike Outside
    Saturday~Rest Day (Spa Day)
    Sunday~Bike Outside
  • celtikgirl
    Options
    Hi all, just stopping by to say hi!

Great to see some new names and pictures in the mix.

I had to work Saturday in a part of the state I don't get to very often, and so happens to be near Ikea. So I stopped there on the way home, because there is always something in there that I *need*. Turns out I *needed* hooks for the dog leashes that look like the rear end of a dog with the tail sticking up to hold the leash. It's a good thing I only get to Ikea once a year or so.

Never got to the getting the bicycle out this weekend, but did get some more yard work done!

Have a great week!
  • ohsointricate8
    ohsointricate8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! New to this thread- The weekend was rough over here, I didn't get to exercise at all, I was loaded with homework (tis the season!) but I made up for it when I went to the gym this afternoon.
    I'm slowly seeing progress, even if it is just with my energy levels!
  • tracyann1983
    tracyann1983 Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi everyone new to thread I currently weigh 358 down from 376 I'm trying to lose at least 100 pounds to start TTC so I need all the help and motivation I can get.