Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I like all types of arts n' crafts: coloring, painting, cgi, writing, poetry, drawing, origami, knitting, latch hook, puzzles, crossstich, carpentry, sewing ...
    Rach, it's too bad we aren't neighbors we have a lot in common, except one thing, I'm already where you want to be. I do work when I want to as a Lic Massage Therapist, but basically I'm just retired and loving it! Hope its not to far off for you!
    dreawest wrote: »
    Wow, quite a few posts in the last two days. Nice to see so many people. What types of arts n' crafts @MermaidPrincessRach ?

And a Wednesday wish - I hope my surgery goes well on Monday. It is minor but I need a general anesthetic and that causes me some anxiety as I've had a bad reaction in the past. Even though I thought I was dealing okay I've noticed my stress and anxiety increasing this past week and I've been quicker to anger/get upset. Hopefully I can zen my way through the next few days and return to my happy self.
    I'll be thinking of you and praying that your surgery is super successful and easy for you. Stress and anxiety causes those same adverse effects on me and zening your way through it is a good idea!
    Holly

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Wednesday Wish ... I wish I could quit my job aka retire and just focus on my weight loss, exercise, and arts n' crafts.

I felt just like that Rach, before I retired as soon as I turned 65 ... and my plans were to work on getting fit n'lean and working on my gardening passion. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way so far ... I've been much more restricted in what I can do because of $$$$ issues, my physical shape doesn't allow me to do the hard work needed to build my dream landscape and I cannot afford to have it hire it out, and I am more isolated in my little world than ever before in my life. But that is shoulda-woulda-coulda thinking and not conducive to my serenity! ... just saying, watch out what you wish for :)

@dreawest ... I tried something along the lines of what you are doing at one time, eating wise ... my diary used to have a slot for Breakfast, AM snack, lunch, PM snack, dinner, Bedtime Snack but over time I found I rarely eat before 11 AM, 3 PM, 8 PM so now I only have 1 snack slot. However I did create a time selection in the database and plug that in at every eating session so I can see exactly at what time I started meal ... I use military time to distinquish between AM and PM. ... hope you respond well to the anesthesia and recover well, quickly, and fully.

@campfirequeen1 ... do you like to camp out and make fires? I used to at one time, but my lungs no longer tolerate smoke of any kind being inhaled, not even candle flame. The church I attend is loaded with lit candles and votives and most times I need to leave the service before it's done because of the smokiness.

But hey - I'm gettig into chit-chat and off the purpose of this thread ... back to it Niki, think weight loss and weight loss tips on here.
  • scarlet_angel1
    scarlet_angel1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today's the first day of my 100 day weight loss Journey. Lol I'm excited. Really wish I could just lose a lb a day but that's not how it works. I don't really know what I'm doing or should be doing so I'm just gonna wing it. Anyone have any tips they'd like to bestow upon me?
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Today's the first day of my 100 day weight loss Journey. Lol I'm excited. Really wish I could just lose a lb a day but that's not how it works. I don't really know what I'm doing or should be doing so I'm just gonna wing it. Anyone have any tips they'd like to bestow upon me?

welcome scarlet - hope you find the tips that will work for you. You are new to MFP? There is a wealth of information on this site both from the zillions (it seems) of people who use the site to help them track their weight goals (some are trying to gain, others lose, others just trim and firm up), but also from the 'Hello Healthy' section ... which is BLOG for MFP. You can also friend MFP on social media like Facebook and get interesting articles drop into your newsfeed.

And here are my penny's worth of tips for you ....
    Start slow ... this is a marathon, not a sprint, and you want to learn along the way ... meaning don't take on more than you can chew all at once.
    Stay the course ... you will feel discouraged at times, perplexed and confused when your body or appetite surprise or seem to sabotage your plans, just stick with the plan you set for yourself and give it time to work.
    Mix it up ... that goes for food as well as activity, and also for the small goals you set along the way ... it helps to keep it varied to keep it interesting.
    Goals ... yes, do set goals, mini goals, intermediate goals, long range goals ... and even extra mini-goals ... but don't overload yourself with trying to accomplish too many at one time.

Plans are a track to run on, Goals are a carrot in front of us to keep us going forward, and we are the star of the show ... When it comes to personal weight change, it's all about 'me'. :)
    Niki
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    I am 35 and have at least another 25 - 30 years of working before I can retire. I had a horrible day at work today. And expecting more of the same tomorrow and Friday and maybe Saturday too. :disappointed: I want to crawl inside a mound of cheeseburgers and fries until the entire mound is inside me. I know that wont help my health issues but nothing comforts like comfort food. It is my drug of choice.
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    "Nikion901 wrote: »
    @campfirequeen1 ... do you like to camp out and make fires? I used to at one time, but my lungs no longer tolerate smoke of any kind being inhaled, not even candle flame. The church I attend is loaded with lit candles and votives and most times I need to leave the service before it's done because of the smokiness.

I do love camping and making fires. I don't go as much now as I did in my younger days. Sorry you can't do that now. I'm a real nature lover, the beach, gardening. And I have the same problem as you. My $$$ are so much less than what I was accustomed to living on and I have to live carefully but I've learned to enjoy everything and be thankful that I've had such an interesting life. I feel very blessed!

• dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    So we're talking retirement now huh? My parents are now both retired (my dad at 55 and mom at 60) and they love it. But they are active people and seem to be even busier now. They don't have a lot of extra money but they have enough to live comfortably in the small town and take the occasional trip. They are serious gardeners and they mountain climb, canoe, hike, camp, bike, ski, and many other physical things. They also volunteer - a lot, and are in theatre groups and stuff like that. And have a tonne of friends.

This would not be me. I am not as social and love my work people. When I retire I will likely spend too much time alone on the couch and fill my days with books, TV, and the occasional craft. Money aside I have no plan to retire early because I like working - without it I likely wouldn't get dressed most days. Now that I'm on MFP my husband and I talk about future plans and doing things when we're old but I need to sort out my tendency to lay around all day before I consider retirement or I would rapidly lose the ability to move my mass - one small fall or injury is all it will take at my current size.

Wealth does not happiness bring but I do want a better paying job in the future and so, in pursuit of that, I am finishing my degree one course at a time right now. The money will be nice but even better will be the rewards of the job itself - doing something I want to do and believe in.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    @MermaidPrincessRach sorry you had a bad day. Me too. Bouncing weight. A 2 hour annual planning meeting with 6 stubborn chemists and a pair of engineers on 2 continents. Talk about someplace I never want to be! Ain't the internet great. Analyzers mysteriously quitting. End of the fiscal year delivery push. More mysteriously analyzers fixing themselves. Grumpy hungry teenagers at home and the most wonderful woman in the world ...... working really late. I took it out on the dog and is he happy. Three miles at just over 3.5 mph. Still in a bad mood but now I have an adrenaline / endorphin and whatever else a body produces to combat pain, cause I got plenty of that, high. Chocolate ice cream with stuff in it is what I want, swirls and chunks and gooey stuff too. Walked instead, then totally killed the desire by remembering I had to pick up my Meds because I'm so close to type 2 diabetes I have to take 2000 mg of metformin daily. I understand the feeling, find an alternative to comfort food is my advice. Stay away from the cheeseburgers they lead to the diabetes meds, they don't improve anything.

It's a bad day, find a blessing. Mine just walked in.
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    Thanks @pneschich . This thread is my blessing. The people who understand the struggle and can give good first-hand advise.
    FYI Saturday is a fullmoon so things are gonna be crazy for a couple days. :scream:
  • pneschich
    Options
    Thursday truth. I feel guilty. I had a bad dinner. I did stay in my calories but too much fat and carbs. I didn't walk either.
    I don't have a good reason but I got a new student to tutor. I really like teaching algebra, Physics and Chemistry too. Odd, I hated taking algebra but I use it so much it's like reading. I just see it. I hope she doesn't need me but if she does I will gladly help. They don't teach math the way I learned it. They have new fancy words and teach functions not equations. When the pencil hits the paper it doesn't matter what you call it.
    Down 10 lbs over the last 30 days. Still grumpy, except for the tutoring thing. That made me happy. Odd.

Have a blessed and wonderful Friday. Stay on track and do your thing the way you want to.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Whoa--can't believe I haven't posted since Sunday!!

@pinkstarberry -- congrats on meeting your latest goal!!

@cj-- congrats on the new job!! I used to do a lot of those obstacle races and mud runs, but none of the ones nearby worked with my schedule this summer. Hoping to do a few again next year.

@rach-- hang in there!!

@pneschich -- great advice to rach! You are an inspiration!

@kaye-- congrats on completing the 5k. I have one coming up Oct. 1st and am really looking forward to it.

@whovian-- good to see you back!

@niki-- I wish the exercise made me eat better. I think lately it's been the opposite which is what I need to change. I think upping my calorie allowance and using the fitness tracker calculations is working. After a dip down and then bounce up a bit, my weight has stayed down a couple of pounds for the past few days.

AFM--It's been a busy week with a lot of grading, but I still managed to mow the lawn Monday and made it to the gym today. I don't know if I mentioned this, but my gym was getting really trashy over the past few months. On Saturday, as I was hemming and hawing about going, I had an epiphany that the dismal conditions there--no clean towels, broken equipment, etc.--was one of the reasons I had been avoiding the gym. I made up my mind to go (even brought my own towel!) and if nothing was improved, I was going to fire off a stern email to the powers that be. It's a Snap Fitness 24/7 so there's rarely anyone there to complain to in person (one of my complaints was that the trainer isn't even there during her posted hours).

Lo and behold, as I walked in, there were signs on the door stating, "Under New Ownership" and the new owner was there supervising some workers who were replacing broken TVs, cleaning the place from ceiling to floor, etc. There were clean towels and my favorite treadmill, which had been broken for over a year, was repaired. When I went back today, there were even more improvements. I am so happy!!

Grading Goals:
    1. 37/82 motif analyses
    2. x/40 AP essays

Fitness Goals for the month of September:
    Run 1 mile at my fastest pace 1x/week: Week 1 = 11:34; Week 2 = 11:10
    Run 2 miles in 23 minutes 1x/week: Week 1 = 24:12; Week 2 = 24:08
    Run a 5 k in <36 minutes by month's end:

You vs Year Challenge:
    268 k done/ 732 k to go :smile: PAST the 25% mark!!

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + mow lawn DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE (meeting)
    Thurs-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE or run outside
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Friday Fitness ...
    I've had my final weigh-in for one of the challenges I've been in for the last 12 weeks. My goal had been to lose 14.4 pounds during the 12 weeks, however I didn't reach my goal. I did lose 10.4 pounds however ... so that is a good thing. I'm in another challenge that weighs in until New Years Day, but I hope the group I was in for the one that ended starts another 12-week challenge. Yes, I'm trying to lose 1 pound a week, and that's a stretch, for me.

@skinnyjeanzbound ... Isn't it great that your gym is being improved! That new atmosphere will entice you!
    @pneschich ... grumpy 'old' math teacher who runs his dog to get high ... interesting! Your body especially likes that running the dog bit.
    @dreawest ... no, not really talking retirement. Just glad to find people my age who can relate to some of the same issues that are common for folks around 70 years old. Like cataract surgery vs getting the old car fixed decisions.

AFM ... my weekend plans are to be fruitful in the house and grounds chores this weekend. If I'm going to have that cataract surgery this place better be all ready for the change in season before I get it done. Knowing myself, I will baby myself for longer than the couple week recuperation for each eye it takes ... and I do have 2 eyes.

Have a great weekend everyone. Remember, one bad day of eating something that's on your 'avoid' list isn't going to derail you. What will derail you is repeating that over and over again. Of course, the flip side is that every time you do stay on track you are getting closer to your goal. :*
    Niki

• pneschich
    Options
    @Nikion901 grumpy old chemist who tutors math and walks his dog fast as he can. Interesting, I still see myself in my minds eye as the 17 year old who swam all winter and played soccer when the snow melted. Did both well enough to get scholarship offers. I guess that's not me anymore but it is part of me. Always will be. I'm not the 30 year old windsurfer either but in another 40 lbs I'm going to be the 52 year old windsurfer. Who has a very fit dog :)
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Friday...this has been a pretty good week to me. I *finally* got the scale to move off of August 1, and this morning finally entered the merely "overweight" category, which was a nice goal met. Next goal is into the 180's by Oct. 23, when I go see some old friends.

My fitness goals for this week are to practice better form on deadlift, because I tried to pull 90% bodyweight the other night with not-so-great form and got the Danger Will Robinson noises from my lumbar spine. And I want to log another 15K in the You vs. the Year challenge. I'm at 302 km, but I didn't start logging distance until April, so I'm only aiming for 500K total in the remaining 102 days of the year.
  • pneschich
    Options
    Fitness Friday. 3 miles 5 days 2 miles 1 day and a day off- Tuesday. I had one bad meal and 1 (2 if I don't eat soon) days with too few calories and protein. All in all a 20 mile week is good for me. Greater than 15 is my target. I'm happy. Weight bounced +/-4lbs all week. Frightening to gain 4 lbs when it appears you are doing everything right. 2lbs heavier today than Sunday 10 lbs lighter than 30 days ago. It's working. Big picture. Focus on the big picture.
  • FlabtoFab209
    FlabtoFab209 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well it's fitness Friday and I have a broken foot. Any suggestions of exercise I can do with out using one leg? I'm bummed because I am so motivated to lose this weight. I
    Hope everyone has a happy, healthy weekend.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    There are a number of seated weight exercise, if you have access to dumbbells or just something heavy. If you have a gym membership, there are "bicycles" that use arm power instead of legs, plus seated weight machines.
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    pneschich wrote: »
    @Nikion901 grumpy old chemist who tutors math and walks his dog fast as he can. Interesting, I still see myself in my minds eye as the 17 year old who swam all winter and played soccer when the snow melted. Did both well enough to get scholarship offers. I guess that's not me anymore but it is part of me. Always will be. I'm not the 30 year old windsurfer either but in another 40 lbs I'm going to be the 52 year old windsurfer. Who has a very fit dog :)
    I love this! You make me laugh!

• campfirequeen1
    Options

@Nikion901 10.4 may not have met the goal but it's a very respectable number! Good for you!
    And yes I hear you about the cataract surgery. I wish I could have my one eye done because the sight in it is so poor but alas I have an inherited disease called Fuchs Dystrophy and there is a 50-50 chance that it will make it worse and I could go blind and then the only thing I could do is a corneal transplant, so at this point it isn't worth it, but so glad that you can.

I'll try to keep in mind what you had to say about one thing on the avoid list and not repeating it over and over! I had to go to the gas station this evening and due to a problem with the gas line in Alabama, everyone is afraid we won't have enough gas so they were all out getting gas along with me and being real donkeys! When I finally got away from the station I was really annoyed and wanting to soothe myself with a nice treat from Baskin Robbins, but I thought what a donkey that would make me and kept driving past it and laughed all the way home over that success!

Happy Weekend all.