Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Sunday share: I am tired! Rebuilt my mother in laws fence with my 17 year old. 17 is a beautiful age. Work all day in the sun and have no ill affects. I hurt. Fence looks good, mother in law is happy Hot this weekend. My thermometer says we hit 96. I also got my weekly prep done. Veggies cut, breakfast and lunch stuff ready and a good dinner menu too.
    I am interviewing a new doctor on Thursday because my insurance and my current Dr can't play nice then I see the dietician, busy afternoon. Had an electronics free Saturday, mostly. Logged,,,. Had some ouzo last night after my greek salad with gyro meat. Love that stuff.way low on calories today I wonder how I'm going to react to that, yeah I'm gonna hold onto or add weight for 2 or 3 days.
    @Nikion901 glad you got a smile and a laugh.
    @320sycamore welcome. Everyone here has been so kind to me. My word of advice, planning. Awe, heck, I have another word accountability. Accountability to the one person who can hold your feet to the fire or let you slide, YOU. But be a benevolent and forgiving self.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    This old girl is doing the happy dance this morning. I've met my first goal of this journey!!! My goal was 270 (down from 307) and this morning I weighed in at 269.8! Now I have 250 in my sights! At two pounds a week, that would be just before Thanksgiving I think. OH NO, then comes the dreaded fattening season! The time of gathering and stuffing ones self with all manner of delicacies and treats for weeks! I need to start preparing myself for this, because I LOVE to cook and I LOVE to eat the good things I cook too. Oh well, not to lose the joy of this accomplishment, I think I'm going to ponder on how to properly celebrate it instead of worrying about the future!!! :D
  • 320sycamore
    320sycamore Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Way to go campfirequeen1! You should be ecstatic - 37 lbs is impressive. Can you help encourage some of us who are still aspiring to that amount what differences/changes you've experienced as a result? Also, regarding Thanksgiving, when I was perusing the discussion boards while acquainting myself with MFP, I saw a member mention that she eats everything she wants at Thanksgiving, as long as it fits on a single dinner roll. That way, she gets a taste of everything. I, of course, was picturing a Dagwood-type of sandwich . . .

I didn't lose anything this week, but my 6 lbs over 3 weeks is still quite pleasing (along with forgoing cigarettes). I've heard that many people gain weight when quitting smoking even if they don't change what or how much they are eating (metabolism changes), so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

pneschich, thanks for the advice. I am finding that prep and/or convenience foods (e.g., prepackaged salads that I add some extra lean protein to) are helping me to eat smaller, healthier amounts. My biggest problem is dinner, where my husband wants "regular" stuff like rich and creamy seafood Newburg. I'm finding that we are just eating different things many nights, which is extra work, but will be worth it in the long run.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 I think strength training is part of it, but not in the dramatic way that a number of posters on the Success board seem to feel. I certainly haven't lost the hoped-for inches around my waist! I started strength training because I knew that by trying to lose 2lbs a week, I was in a pretty severe dietary deficit, and my lazy biology was going to break down lean muscle before flab. Since I want to be functionally fit, not just skinny, I was going to have to protect that muscle with resistance training of some sort. I chose joining a gym and lifting weights because it still feels vaguely...naughty? butch? radical? to go into the Heavy Grunting Zone as a lady-person, and I like breaking stereotypes.

What the lifting is doing is making me commit to go to the gym three days a week, and providing really quick positive feedback. I know that if i can lift 80lbs today only four times, it's not going to take but a week or so before I can lift 80lbs five times. With running...measurable progress has come so slowly that only my determination to get my money's worth from those expensive shoes keeps me going.

I must also admit that the muscles in my legs and butt feel pretty awesome. I like having them, and like knowing that they can do impressive* things. And I have to admit, when I've just lifted 80% of my own body weight, I feel more than a little badass.

*to me. Your mileage may vary on the level of awe.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Way to go campfirequeen1! You should be ecstatic - 37 lbs is impressive. Can you help encourage some of us who are still aspiring to that amount what differences/changes you've experienced as a result? Also, regarding Thanksgiving, when I was perusing the discussion boards while acquainting myself with MFP, I saw a member mention that she eats everything she wants at Thanksgiving, as long as it fits on a single dinner roll. That way, she gets a taste of everything. I, of course, was picturing a Dagwood-type of sandwich . . .

I didn't lose anything this week, but my 6 lbs over 3 weeks is still quite pleasing (along with forgoing cigarettes). I've heard that many people gain weight when quitting smoking even if they don't change what or how much they are eating (metabolism changes), so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.
    Thanks, I am ecstatic! It has taken me since the end of May, I'm not sure what day. And I didn't get my Garmin Vivofit2 until the end of July, so it was Aug before I got it paired with this site so that I could track my food and steps in one place, but I have to tell you, girlie, that is the thing that has made the difference for me. That way I can eat every bit of my goal calories and then see that I can have something extra or save my deficit calories for a special event where I eat higher calorie food than normal, because of the calories I burned walking that day.

The place that I have seen my greatest change is in my ability to walk without getting winded. I had a hard time getting to the end of my very short driveway when I started but now often walk 2-3 miles once a day plus added steps during the day. I really don't like to walk and fight it mentally, it's painful for my joints, but the success I've had with weight loss and mobility has made it so worth it that it's easier to overcome the mental aversion to it. I feel disappointed when my friend doesn't want to go out walking with me and I have to decide that I'm worth the effort to "just do it" knowing that the stress relief that it also gives is definitely worth it.

Your story is very touching and I want you to know that you are someone that I am really pulling for and I am praying that you will see the successes that I've had and more! We can do this!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Monday Check-in
    I kinda did a check-in on my Sunday Share yesterday, but I will say that my seeminly normal weight fluctuations have me up a few ounces this morning over yesterday's weigh-in for the challenge. My calories were well within MFP's allowance so I'm not sweating it. Today is the first day of practicing maintaining but I will not push it. One of the challenges I am in has a lot of really fun-type activities to try out this week and I'm going to try most of them out instead of doing my normal routine of exercises.

An interesting one that pops up in the Nutrition Challenge came around again this week ... paying attention to the hours of sleep you get each night and getting points if you sleep within the recommended 7-9 hours a night, not less, not more. i'm in for that one!

@badnoodle ... thanks for your response about weight lifting.
    @campfirequeen1 ... that's great about reaching one of your goals!
    @320sycamore ... unfortunately, when I quit smoking in 1990 I did gain some weight ... but I don't know if it was because I stopped the cigarettes or that I was eating too many double cheeseburgers with fries and a shake. :)
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,962 Member
    Options
    My swim gear is in the car, ready to go to the Y after work. I felt really stressed this weekend ... went to a bday party ... need to establish a swim rountine... fish out of water :lol:
    <3 Rach
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Wow! My week has gotten away from me. I went back to work on Tuesday last week and was in pain the whole day. Wednesday morning I woke up and really couldn't move much/well. I called the doctor and they said it was perfectly normal not to be ready to go at 2 weeks. They put me on half days through today. That has definitely helped. Will see how tomorrow goes. :)

Food has been going pretty well. I am now on soft foods and I've never been so happy to eat tuna in my life!!! This week I get to add in some vegetables but not lettuce yet (that seems strange to me, but I'm following the guidelines they give me). Of course, my favorite "veggie" is corn and I'm pretty much suppose to steer clear of that for the most part. When I went to the nutritionist last week she told me I wasn't getting enough protein or calories so i needed to up that to 600 a day for now. Ultimately I will be at 1200 but my stomach can't handle that much yet. I can get 1-2 oz. of protein and a Tbsp of a side for now. I make sure I have 3 meals and 2/3 snacks a day - it's interesting because I'm not hungry at all so I have to remind myself to eat (which they told me could happen, but based on my past I thought I would never forget to eat or be able to function on only 600 calories a day).

The only thing I've missed so far is pizza. Which I find very strange as I wasn't a big lover of pizza in the past, but man I crave it (I just salivated typing the word). When I progress a couple more weeks, I have some alternatives that I can try for it to hopefully satisfy my craving (cauliflower crust and chicken crust).

I'm behind on the thread, so i'll try to log in later and catch up, but wanted to update where I'm at on my journey.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    JustMe602 wrote: »
    Hi all, it's been a while since I've been on MFP, but I came back to lose 125 lbs. Just turned 37 last month, I'm a server so I'm fairly active, also a mother of 2, although 1 just moved out, and currently 245, wanting to get down to 125. I've been going back and forth trying to decide if I want to do 1, 1.5 or 2 lbs set loss per week, any suggestions? Also I welcome any and all friends requests

Hi and welcome to the thread! I started at almost the same weight as you (247 for me), and I began at a 2 lb/week deficit. When I neared Onderland I plateaued, b/c the calorie allowance was too low. At that point, I shifted to a 1 lb/week loss. I got down to 185 and then gained 10 lbs over the last school year b/c of health issues and general laziness about being diligent with watching my intake. Over the summer, I went back to carefully staying at the 1 lb/week deficit and gained almost 5 more lbs. Yikes! So now I'm experimenting with a bit higher calorie allowance--still shooting for 1 lb/week deficit most days, but eating at maintenance 1-2 days/week. It's only been a couple of weeks, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck :smile: I might go up to 2 lbs, I have so many exercise cals, but I'm going to send you a FR to keep track of your journey
  • FlabtoFab209
    FlabtoFab209 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @campfirequeen1 Wow! 37 pounds is awesome! I am down 2.8 since I restarted MFP but I didn't put in my weight until today so it shows I'm up 6.7 pounds since my last entry. I weigh 247.2, I was 252 last week .

247.2 current/145 goal.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @bonnie -- Congrats on the loss!! Do your dogs like to go for walks? I know even on days when I'm feeling lazy, my dog, gunner, is a good motivator to at least get out for a walk. I feel like I just discriminated against your cat--if he/she likes walks, by all means, go for it. :lol:

@JustMe602 --Yeah, I found the calorie allowance plus my exercise calories was plenty when I first started to stay at -1000/day. I guess I had enough fat stored up to keep my body happy. LOL! Now, I still feel like I have enough fat (my waistline certainly looks like it!), but my body just refused to drop any weight when I tried to maintain 1450 net. I also find it's harder to burn high calories at my current weight so less exercise calories to keep me from feeling hungry. My current intake is keeping me satisfied, but it's too soon to tell if it's truly affecting the scale.

@tracy-- I was wondering how your recovery was going and if you had returned to work. Glad to hear the doc cut you back to half days--hope things go well tomorrow. That's so funny about your pizza cravings!

@rach-- Yay for swimming! I wish I enjoyed swimming as a form of regular exercise, but I really only like to play in the water. Once I have to swim actual laps, I get bored quickly. Too bad for me b/c it's such a great calorie burner. Have fun!

@niki-- I haven't formally posted it as a goal, but I've been trying to get more sleep lately. I'm not being consistently successful, but doing a little better a few nights a week. Baby steps.

@campfire-- Congrats on moving into a new "decade"!! One thing I love about walking is you build endurance pretty quickly. As far as Thanksgiving, my way of dealing with it is to sign up for a Turkey Trot between the race itself and the walking around before and after the race, I tend to burn enough calories to enjoy a guilt-free Thanksgiving meal. :)

@badnoodle -- I don't lift like I used to before my shoulder injury, but when I did lift heavy, I also didn't see the same "miracle" results some others seem to have experienced. I have a couple of friends ITRW who lost a LOT of weight lifting and doing crossfit, but have gained it all back b/c they couldn't sustain the ever-increasing gym time it took to maintain their "buff" physiques. I co miss that "badass" feeling from lifting heavy, but it's taking me some time to work my way back. Honestly, I'm just ecstatic that I can even get my arms into proper position to hold the bar while doing squats without pain afterwards. It had taken about three months of bar-only, but I finally moved up to adding some weight this past week. Deadlifts are still not an option, as even with only 50 lbs, my shoulder feels like it tearing out of the socket when I try to do them. I have a feeling I need to build a weights routine with the concession that I will probably never do deadlifts again. :(

@kathleen-- when I quit smoking, my goal was simply to maintain the 60 lb loss I had already accrued which I did with a LOT of careful eating and exercise. Kudos to you for tackling weight loss and kicking the smoking habit in tandem!! We have another regular on this thread named tracy (not NewCaddy--we have 2 tracys) who is also a caregiver for her DH who suffers from COPD. She also struggles to put herself first in that situation and recently reduced her hours at work b/c it was too much to work full time. I'm sure she will pop in for an update soon--it's been awhile since we've heard from her.

Monday Check-in:
    So I'm still doing good with staying within my new calorie allowance. I have to keep reminding myself that the point of this is to eat more, so if I have a day when I don't meet my calorie goal, I add those calories to the next day to ensure I'm not eating below my planned deficit of -500 plus at least one day (but not more than 2) at maintenance each week. I'm also trying to let my body tell me when to eat at maintenance. For example, I felt especially hungry today, so added back my deficit to make it a maintenance day.

As far as the scale goes, I started this at 198.8 and almost immediately dropped down to 195.2. Then I nudged back up to 196.4 for several days last week and back up to 198.8 over the weekend. This morning, I was back down to 196.4. It's still too early to tell if this will work, but I'm trying to pay special attention to the fluctuations so I can find any patterns. This is especially hard b/c I had done such a great job teaching myself to ignore those daily fluctuations and focus on the big picture. Haha, times have changed for me. LOL

School is going well. I got the motif analyses done yesterday (all 30!!) and handed back today. I tried (unsuccessfully to go grade after school today, but couldn't get past 1 on either of my other grading goals. I guess my brain just needed a break after yesterday.

Grading Goals:
    1. 82/82 motif analyses DONE
    2. 1/40 AP essays LOL--I really gave up quickly tonight
    3. 1/82 F451 tests LOL--see above!

Fitness Goals for the month of September:
    Run 1 mile at my fastest pace 1x/week: Week 1 = 11:34; Week 2 = 11:10; Week 3 = 11:30
    Run 2 miles in 23 minutes 1x/week: Week 1 = 24:12; Week 2 = 24:08; Week 3 = 24:00
    Run a 5 k in <36 minutes by month's end:

You vs Year Challenge:
    272 k done/ 728 k to go :smile: PAST the 25% mark!!

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon-- rest day
    Tues-- walk gunner (meeting)
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym or run outside or maybe mow lawn
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym or run outside or maybe mow lawn

• trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Monday check in:

I took a full week off. I noticed that I had started to cheat and not record what I was eating so instead of letting myself get into bad habits I first told myself that I would have a maintenance week, but I still wasn't recording so I got a week off. Now I'm fully back on.

Today I had to run an errand at lunch and I forgot to grab my lunch, so I was going to get something while I was out. But because I was tracking and I remembered that I had to bring a treat for my 1PM meeting I waited until I got back to my desk for lunch. Then for treat I got no sugar added fruit Popsicles. Since I was presenting in the meeting I didn't get on at first and then they got taken to the lunch room before I got one. And you know what? I didn't really miss it.

So today has been a big win. I also realized that in my week off, where I had Taco Bell (not healthy options), ribs, and Mexican showed me that I've made some really good changes to my life. Because for a short time I could take a break from weight loss but still maintain my weight without gaining. It gives me faith that at some point I'll be able to be happy with my weight and not hyper manage my food.
  • pinkstarberry
    pinkstarberry Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Tuesday goals: I'm still trying to work up the courage to go to the gym regularly. I know it's silly to feel shy about going, but I'm really struggling with that. So far I have mainly been walking for exercise, but I'm worried I'll have a lot of loose skin around my upper arms and abdomen if I don't start lifting weights sooner rather than later.

My other big goal is to fit comfortably in my size 12 jeans by Christmastime, and I think the weight lifting could also help that become a reality rather than solely focusing on dropping scale weight. I'm planning a trip back home for Christmas and I really want to feel comfortable on the plane, not like I'm taking up too much space and spilling over onto someone else's seat.
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Tuesday goals: I'm still trying to work up the courage to go to the gym regularly. I know it's silly to feel shy about going, but I'm really struggling with that.

I've felt the same way and here are a couple of tricks that helped me.
    1. Set a mini goal of going to gym twice a week for two weeks and earn a 30 min message.
    2. Get a personal trainer. Do a lesion a week. Tell them before you start what your goals are and if there is anything too embarsing. For me it was doing a crab walk (or anything) in front of all the people on treadmills.
    3. After going to the gym 20 times earn bigger reward like 60 min message.

I like my rewards to be related to what I have to do to earn it. Especially a message for exercising, because you will be sore (especially if you are lifting weights). But for me the key to a reward is something I really want but then I can't have it until I earn it.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Ticked off Tuesday. I knew it would happen and it did. I ate too few calories on Saturday and Sunday, worked in the hot sun, drank gallons of water and lost 2 pounds. Today they are both back with a trio of friends! Had 1500 calories yesterday. Usual stuff. Now I have to lose 5 to get back to where I was yesterday. Fought empty hunger yesterday with all my might and succeeded. I'm bouncing up and down so much it's making me crazy. Labor day it was 300 teasing me now I get so close to 290 then balloon back up closer to 300. Frustrating!!!!!!
    Thanks for listening.
  • pinkstarberry
    pinkstarberry Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    @trinati2001 - Thank you for the encouragement!! I can't afford a personal trainer, but I'll definitely try to set goals of going 2-3 times per week at first. I think that once it becomes more of a habit and less of a scary new thing, I won't feel so nervous. I have pretty severe social anxiety and the best way to conquer it is forming habits, it's just the first step that's so difficult... hehe.

OK then, as this thread as my witness, I will go to the gym on Thursday - no matter what!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Tuesday - Goals.
    As some of you know, I am a number-cruncher nutcase. I preface this Tuesday Goals post with that statement because I spent time yesterday doing some calculations for a specific group of people that were in the challenge with me, which ended yesterday.

We weighed in for our starting numbers and stated goals for the challenge on 6/27 and this particular group had 68 people at the start. When we finished yesterday, there were only 24 of us left.

I saw the numbers decline every week, and wondered about what causes people to drop out of challenges. I can only guess, but one thing that I am supposing is that biting off too big a chunk as a goal might have someting to do with it. Of course, deciding the challenge 'isn't a good fit for me' can also be a reason.

Here's why I think this ...
    13 people never came back to post any more weights after the initial one ... 'Isn't for me group'? ... maybe.
    26 out of 34 people who wanted to lose the largest amount of weight in the 12 week period dropped out.

So, what did I learn from this? ...
    1 - make certain that what you are taking on is something you really want to do.
    2 - set realistic goals that you are more likely to achieve in the short term.

For myself, one of the main goals I had when I joined up with MFP was to track my carbs because I needed to lower my blood glucose level. That one decision led to other goals, including weight loss, weighing my food, logging everything I consume, even that odd cherry tomato jewel resting in a bowl on the counter. Now I am working on the goal of habitually getting in my exercise. That's partly due to my wanting to be able to eat a bit more sometimes, but mainly for the flexibility and muscle strength exercise provides and preserves.

I know it's starting to work. I have a a very large belly, and a really sore lower back ... and as I have been working these past 12 weeks on working my core lightly every day I have noticed that my back aches less and that when I am standing up and walking that my lower abdomen and the muscles across my abs tighten automatically to support my torso ... never felt that before, or at least not for a long time!

Have a great week everyone.
    Nikion901
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,962 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I was going to go swim after work yesterday. I had my bag in the car ready to go. But after work I wasnt feeling up to it and had a big pity party for myself. Gonna try again today. I think the lure of a water aerobics class is just what I need to get me in the water.
    <3 Rach
  • cjbrummet
    cjbrummet Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Tuesday - Goals

I have started my new job and have spent the last two days listening to information that is hard to stay awake for especially when I still have a hard time sleeping at night. Tomorrow we start to learn the computer charting system hopefully that will go well. I plan to bring my gym bag and go to gym after work. It is my goal to go 3 times a week. I am not sure if I will be up for it though. Driving home in rush hour traffic just exhausts me. I am going to try and make myself do it. Tomorrow I plan to take the train and see if it is better not to drive. I will have to leave earlier but I can relax on my way home. I will let you know how it goes.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys!

@cj--I hope your body adjusts to the new sleep schedule soon. Until then, don't stress about forcing the gym visits. I've seen first-hand that sleep is just as important as exercise when it comes to weight loss.

@rach--hope you made it to you swim tonight.

@niki-- I love all of your number crunching! Glad to hear the core exercises are working for you.

@pneschich --As someone who bounced around in the 180s for 2 years and is now bouncing around in the 190s for the past year, I feel your pain. Take solace in knowing that unless you ate 17,500 calories more than you burned, you don't truly have 5 lbs to lose. It's just your body holding on to water to mess with you.

@trinati-- welcome back from your week off. I love your reward system, but I don't like massages so I will have to think of some other reward for myself for meeting goals. :smile:

Tuesday Goals:
    As I mentioned to niki yesterday, one of my current goals is to try to get more sleep. I haven't really defined it as "x hours/night" or "in bed by x o'clock." However, I typically go to bed around midnight and fall asleep a bit after than (on a good night--I suffer from several sleep issues). Recently, I've been trying to get to bed with lights out by 11 or 11:30. I then watch the news (BBC) until I fall asleep. So far I've had a few good nights where I've been asleep well before midnight, so that's some progress. Of course, I still have nights where I'm not on plan, but at least I'm making a concerted effort.

Grading Goals:
    1. 82/82 motif analyses DONE
    2. 2/40 AP essays
    3. 15/82 F451 tests

Fitness Goals for the month of September:
    Run 1 mile at my fastest pace 1x/week: Week 1 = 11:34; Week 2 = 11:10; Week 3 = 11:30
    Run 2 miles in 23 minutes 1x/week: Week 1 = 24:12; Week 2 = 24:08; Week 3 = 24:00
    Run a 5 k in <36 minutes by month's end:

You vs Year Challenge:
    272 k done/ 728 k to go :smile: PAST the 25% mark!!

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon-- rest day
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE (meeting)
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym or run outside or maybe mow lawn
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym or run outside or maybe mow lawn