Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    @pneschich I feel your pain on churascurria. I can't resist meat on a spit, ever.

I haven't posted in awhile, I really lost my motivation sometime back in October or so... quit lifting or going to the gym, and a lot of secret bingeing. Not good. But I did also keep up my overall activity level thanks to my Fitbit, and so I only gained back about 5 lbs. But I'm coming up on my MFP anniversary, and I really want 2017 to be the year I get to my goal. So I made a bet with my partner last week: if I can log honestly and stay under goal every day for a month, all good. But if I don't, it's a $200 donation to the cause of his choice. So I've got extra incentive to keep on plan, and being active in this thread really helped me last summer. Love you all!
  • sand86802
    sand86802 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    @badnoodle I really love your idea it's an excellent idea for a bet. I'm glad you're finding motivation again. Keep it up!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    pneschich wrote: »
    Day 6. Blew it. Had to go out to lunch with a customer. Went to a Brazilian steakhouse. No dinner for me. Didn't lose any weight since Monday. I think Nyquil may be the reason. Does anyone know if it causes you to hold water?

A higher carbohydrate intake will cause you to hold water ... don't know if Nyquil is high in sugar/sugar alcohol.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    gullagr wrote: »
    Also, I am a serial scale checker - I check my weight almost every night before I go to bed. Am starting to find it a bit discouraging since I haven't seen as steady a decline this past week. Any suggestions of how often and when is best to weigh in?

There is no best time to weigh in ... for comparison purposes it's best to be consistent over when you do it however. We tend to weigh the most of the day in the evening because we have been feeding throughout the day. Also, how you are dressed and what's happened with the byproducts of digestion will have a bearing on the scale weight as well. Finally, another changeable is the scale itself ... many weigh in differently with where you step on them or if they have been moved or if they are not on a hard surface. ... So, in a nutshell, just pick a time that seems to work best for you and go with it. ... AFM, I do the weigh-ins every morning before I get dress myself.
  • gullagr
    gullagr Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    @badnoodle - I've done something similar but using Dietbet (weight loss betting website). I'm currently doing a kickstarter challenge which is 4% lost within 4 weeks. As long as I hit that goal then I will get my money back plus a cut of the overall pot. Will have to seen how that fairs then I may sign up for one of their transformation challenges (10% over 6 months)
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    gullagr wrote: »
    @badnoodle - I've done something similar but using Dietbet (weight loss betting website). I'm currently doing a kickstarter challenge which is 4% lost within 4 weeks. As long as I hit that goal then I will get my money back plus a cut of the overall pot. Will have to seen how that fairs then I may sign up for one of their transformation challenges (10% over 6 months)

I've heard of those, but I don't want to bet on the outcome. I'm more interested in reinforcing the habits of the process - regular logging, and adhering to calorie goals. This is especially true when I know that no particular amount of weight loss is ever guranteed. I know for myself that what the numbers say I "should" lose, and any actual change bear only passing resemblance to one another. Also, like a lot of people, I'm more motivated by the fear of loss than the chance of gain. And this way, even if I lose, the money will go to a *probably* good cause (my partner has rather different value than me...)

But 25% of the way in, and I'm going strong. Though I do wish I'd brought yogurt for lunch instead of a Quest bar....

Also - if you want to, weigh yourself as often as you like! The more you check, the less the intra-day and between day fluctuations should mean to you. So you're down a pound at breakfast, and up two at dinner. No big deal! YOU know if you kept to your target calories or not. If you did, that variation is utterly beyond your control, and therefore nothing you should be anxious about. It's the overall trend, over weeks and months, that makes the difference.
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have nothing Friday Fitness-y to report...but this morning it did occur to me that when the weather gets a little warmer, I could/should go to Great Falls national park. It's pretty, and there are a couple of very easy trails in addition to the more challenging ones. The park is split by the Potomac River, including a big waterfall, so in the winter it's too cold to be near the water, but it's really close to home. Apparently I had it in my head that not wanting to bring my dog there anymore* somehow meant that I couldn't go by myself: I could easily go alone, or even try to meet up with a friend!

*I used to love taking my dog there for walks through the woods, but nowadays she spooks too easily and has demonstrated an ability to wiggle out of her harness when properly terrified. I feel like such outings stress her now, which stresses me, so we don't do them anymore.

badnoodle wrote: »
    Though I do wish I'd brought yogurt for lunch instead of a Quest bar....
    I just had a Quest bar for the first time a week ago! I tried the apple pie flavor. It wasn't great or horrible, but it took forever to peel the wrapper off and I remember feeling like that was way too much effort! LOL!

badnoodle wrote: »
    Also - if you want to, weigh yourself as often as you like! The more you check, the less the intra-day and between day fluctuations should mean to you. So you're down a pound at breakfast, and up two at dinner. No big deal! YOU know if you kept to your target calories or not. If you did, that variation is utterly beyond your control, and therefore nothing you should be anxious about. It's the overall trend, over weeks and months, that makes the difference.
    I recently made peace with my scale, but for a couple of months I really struggled with this. Even though you're totally right and part of me knew that, another part of me never believed the morning (lower) numbers but would still feel bad about the evening (higher) numbers. But I felt compelled to weigh myself frequently. Now I think I've fully accepted that it's a marathon not a sprint, plus I've realized/proven that I will continue to lose weight on my own (after finishing a program where I lost 25 pounds in three months).
  • 1fralick
    1fralick Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey all..see some new to the group...I am new too...so missed truth Thursday.. Truths took a rest from exercise..craving chocolate... Had a DD chocolate cookie which really bit into my calories sine I had no workout. I do feeli like my food intake is better when I have worked out...
    Still craving chocolate today but did get my work out done.

@pneschich not sure about NyQuil...

@gullagr ... The scale thing for me is daily in am... However there are times when I think I have wiggle room to eat more if the scale is in the right movement..... Which of course is just rationalization for eating poorly

@sand86802 ... I am new here to... Looking at losing 100 as well... Down 65 #s.. 10#.... That is awesome... I set mini goals 25# at a time.. Using my Fitbit... Then I would challenge myself with little mini goals working towards the 25.. If I looked at the big one I'd get down on myself...

@MermaidPrincessRach ... That is a cool idea....

@AnnaLeigh35 ... Hey... You did it before... You know what worked... You remember how good it felt...

@badnoodle .. Good motivator.... Love my Fitbit

@Nikion901 like your common sense approach to weigh in

You all have a great evening
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 209 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm so annoyed with myself. I'm only 2 weeks into this (for the 2nd time) so you would think that when I sit down to eat that would be on my mind. Well, I went out for dinner tonight with my sister and brother in law. I had my meal all figured out in advance and everything was fine except that as we were talking I picked up a dinner roll (a big one at that), lathered it with cinnamon butter and promptly ate it without even thinking about it! That put me over for the day and tomorrow is the day I weigh in. Oh well, I'll just have cultivate better habits and awareness of what I'm eating, because basically that's what it was, a habit, I love dinner rolls! I did restart my walking and bike riding today after having a cold/flu for a few days. Running out of time but a quick hello to all the new people and

@birgitkwood congrats, you inspire me, wonderful job!

@1fralick I set goals too but mine are more like 5 pounds, LOL

@Misnomer971 that park sounds like a great place to walk, I ran into the same type of thing, my vet said my little dog who is almost 16 shouldn't be walking as far as I was taking her. When I stopped walking her I also just kind of stopped walking myself for a while. I think I felt guilty as she still begged to keep going and I couldn't let her.

Have a great evening everyone.
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,865 Member
    Options
    Fitness Friday: Tomorrow is the Chinese New Year - year of the rooster! I'm a Rooster! So I am going to use this new year as my chance to restart my exercise goals! I want to go for my daily morning coffee stroll. I want to start interval training. And I want to mostly run a 5k in less than an hour by Sep/Oct. My last 5k was about an hour and a half, mostly walking.
  • RachaelPooh
    Options
    @bapcarrier I don't have a dog but I've wanted to get one of those dog strollers so I can take my cat for a walk.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Missed fitness Friday so..... I walked 2 miles 4 days and 1 mile once. Logged excercise today because I walked 45 minutes at a pretty good pace. I got my weights and will start with them tomorrow. I go back and see the nutritionist on Thursday. I'm starving but I'm losing weight.
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Saturday Success - I feel like something "slipped" inside my head and lately I'm a little obsessed with the idea of indulging in a day of all of the foods I love but haven't had in four months (potato chips, donuts, tuna casserole, real ice cream, etc.). The urges are stronger than they've been since I started all of this. So, every time I go to the grocery store and manage to come home without any crap it feels like an accomplishment. This afternoon I got sooo close to buying some Entenmann's...but I didn't! And I managed to finish the day within my calorie goal. So, I'm counting today as a pretty big success. :)

@birgitkwood - That is AMAZING! Congratulations!! :smiley: Sometimes I feel like I'm never going to be able to lose even 50 pounds, let alone almost 100. Very inspiring.

@bapcarrier - Don't be too hard on yourself! Changing habits is hard. I actually did the exact same thing the first time I went to Olive Garden after starting my weight-loss journey: I had my entree all picked out and thought the hardest part would be deciding whether to indulge in dessert, and then before I knew it I'd eaten a breadstick and had a second one halfway to my mouth. Because they were there, and because I always eat breadsticks. It takes time.

@MermaidPrincessRach - You are inspiring, too! :) Right now I'm happy that I can walk a 20-minute mile; I can't imagine running at all, let alone a 5K. I'm not really giving myself fitness-related goals, but I've had the idea of an eventual 5K in the back of my mind for a while now.

@pneschich - Sounds like you're making good progress and will be on track for your new surgery date, but it sucks that you're starving! Is there any way you can increase your protein and/or fat intake without exceeding your 1,000-calorie daily limit? Lately I've been getting really hungry by lunchtime, so today I decided to try changing my mid-morning snack from a 110-calorie banana to a 100-calorie cup of high-protein yogurt. It worked ok, so I'll do it again tomorrow. The real test will be on Monday, though, at work.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    @MermaidPrincessRach thank you for all of your support. I'm getting enough protein, it's the volume. 8oz protein shakes for breakfast and lunch are just a horrible way to live
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 209 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A quick hello! Excited to say, first two weeks and 10 lbs down!! Easier at the beginning but I'm thrilled anyway. I wanted one of my old favorites today but it uses a lot of my daily calories, so I tried something different for me. I decided since it's the weekend I would have the big meal at noon (they say that's better for you anyway). Then tonight I hope to keep it really simple and light. I'll have to see how that works for today.

@MermaidPrincessRach I like your goals, I would like to do a 5k at a fast pace but not a run as at my age I think running is just too hard on my body no matter what weight I get to. (I'm 69 will be 70 this fall.) I tried my dog in a stroller, nothing doing, she wanted to walk/run. LOL she was worse than a kid who wouldn't sit still.

@pneschich hopefully soon (after your surgery) you'll be able to add more to you meals. It must seem awful right now, but I know you'll be thinking how worth while it was when you see the end result! Hang in there.

@pinkstarberry congratulations on staying on track without logging and WONDERFUL news about your weight loss, you are almost to a huge milestone! I'm very impressed.

@Misnomer971 congrats on holding strong at the grocery store! I think one thing I remember from last time was not to totally deprive yourself of all the things you love but learn how to work them into your diet in small amounts. If you feel deprived all the time it can lead to binges, etc. Maybe once a week a small portion of chips or ice cream, etc. could be worked into your calories as a special treat. If you had that to look forward to, them maybe you could conquer the "obsession." Just a thought.
  • RachaelPooh
    Options
    Hey @pneschich I do support your efforts. I can only imagine what a 1000cal diet must be like. You are a strong man! FYI, it wasnt me who told you more protein. I trust your doctors know what they are doing. But 8oz !? I feel bad (and hungry) for you. But after the surgery, I imagine that will be considered normal, maybe even too much. Good luck! I'm still rooting for you! And I admire all the success you've already had. This is just a hill in the journey.
  • Dalceridae
    Dalceridae Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @pinkstarberry That amazing progress and very exciting! Being able to maintain your weight over the holidays and with so much going on is a big victory as well and shows that you have incorporated this into your life rather than as something temporary. You are an inspiration.

I am still trucking along. I hit 40lbs lost last week, which feels good. People have also started to notice and comment on my weight loss. I have consciously slowed my loss a bit by upping my calories the last couple of weeks as I was losing ~18-20lbs a month. It was exciting to be losing weight so quickly (and I know some of that was from the initial rapid loss when you start at a high weight), but it wasn't sustainable or healthy for the long term. It's good to feel I can eat things like cheese and peanut butter still. I lost 1.2 pounds last week, which I know is healthy progress. Part of me still feels like I "failed" compared to previous weeks though. I know that I need to accept that this is a process that is going to take time rather than pushing myself to lose as quickly as possible.
  • JLYNNCARTEE
    JLYNNCARTEE Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello fitness family, this is my first post and I think my biggest struggle over the weekend was realizing that at 310 pounds it is time to do something about it. My biggest motivators are my two children and my husband. I am tired of being tired and feeling like the elephant in the room. Please don't mistake my post as being negative. When I look in the mirror I see a beautiful lady and not the large person that I have become over the years. I think finally seeing myself as others do was helpful for me to finally decide to get up and make a change. Good luck to all of you as we continue this journey of healthy living.