Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @charlotte--glad to hear you got back on the wii--I know you've been struggling to begin the exercise regiment, so I'm proud of you! Also envious of your cleaning binge--wanna come to my house? :laugh: Seriously, I really need to clean my bathroom tomorrow, and I DO need to get down on my hands and knees and scrub the floor! :ohwell:

@lioness--welcome and great success with the healthier foods!

@helen--I agree with charlotte--it's absolutely a victory that you put your foot down and said "no" to the coffee cake. Eating the cake today does not negate that decision to put your own needs first! You go girl! :drinker: Also, glad you were happy with your house and that "Hoarders" didn't come a'knocking! :laugh:

@susan--so sorry to hear about your friends and the cancer diagnosis. They will be in my thoughts.

@kris--great job burning off those twizzlers! I'm usually a chocolate person when it comes to sweets, but a bag of twizzlers will get me every time. I totally know what you mean about exercising to earn back calories--tonight out with some friends from work with whom I rarely go out, one of them asked, "so are you on some strict diet?" and I answered "no, I run my *kitten* off so I can eat whatever I want." :laugh: Not exactly the truth, but it made her laugh.

@drojen--OMG! I loved your description of running making you feel like "supergirl"--I feel the same way! And although I do plenty of other forms of exercise, none of them have the same affect on me. Even if I have a bad run, I still feel this great sense of accomplishment. Like today I woke up with my 95 lb dog half on top of me which was compressing my left hip. Didn't feel great and when I walked him later, I could still feel it. On the treadmill at the gym the hip was a little stiff and my right lower back was achy as well. I'm sure it was all related. Long story longer, my 4 mile run turned into a lot of alternating running and walking. However, I still felt great that I finished it. :smile:

@vicki--congrats on the clothing NSVs!

@rachael--measuring is good, but weighing is MUCH more accurate. Bigaug posted a video that shows why, but I didn't save it. Anyone out there have the link?

To answer your question about how much weight and how long. My heaviest weight was 247 (june 2010) and I started MFP in March 2011 at 241. My ticker goal is 71 lbs b/c that will bring me within the "healthy" range of the BMI chart for my height (5'7"). I was down to 202 by the end of 2011, and right now I'm at 189. There was definitely a slow down once I crossed into onederland, but admittedly, I also relaxed my goals and raised my calorie levels at that point. I'm happy that I maintained and even lost a little bit more in 2012, but my goal now is to kick it back up a notch (and maybe 2 or 3 notches once I'm off for the summer) to try to lose these last 20 lbs. to get me to that goal.

Hmm and now that I'm talking this through, I realize I've proven once again that I'm no math wizard b/c I actually have 30 more lbs. to lose to get to the healthy range...:ohwell: I'm going to leave my goal as it is and when I get down to 169, I will change my ticker. I'm honestly not sure where I will stop--as I've said before, I'd really like to get to a size 8 b/c I've never been a single digit size. However, I have a very large frame and would like to retain a good amount of muscle mass and a bit of my curves (I will never be willowy thin), so I may be more comfortable as a size 10.

Saturday Success:
    Went to b-day dinner for a friend and another woman I've met a few times came out with us. I haven't seen her in a couple of years and she actually didn't recognize me at 1st. When she realized who I was, she said "Wow, you look great!" Later, at dinner she asked me what I had done to lose the weight. I told her about MFP and as I talked about it in the present tense, she said "Oh, are you still doing it to maintain?" Her implication was that I didn't need to lose any more weight, which made me so happy!! :bigsmile:

May hit the gym tomorrow if the ice storm isn't too wretched. Need to finish grading as well...

Exercise Goals:
    Mon--gym (weights + bike) DONE
    Tues--walk gunner NOT DONE (too cold/windy) + core DONE
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym RAN AT HOME INSTEAD
    Thurs--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner DONE + gym (long run + elliptical) DONE
    Sun--walk gunner + core

Grading Goals:
    1. 30/56 Reading Journals
    2. 16/56 JRP thesis statements
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    @Nicole -- oh gosh, you've had quite a few days, haven't you! Well done for getting back down below your October weight.
    @Kristen -- thinking of you as you deal with the family stuff. I log all sorts of rubbish -- like my 3 pints of ale and doner kebab yesterday, all after 11:30pm! It's quite reassuring, when you look back over months, to realise that over a few months, that sort of thing does not matter at all provided it's only occasional.
    @Rachael -- my overall goal -- 109 pounds, will get me to the top of the 'healthy' BMI range for my height. So my guess is that I'll adjust my goal weight down a bit as I get close. So far I've lost 43 pounds in 7 months; it's been a pretty consistent 1.5 pounds a week after the first week.
    @Vicki -- I think you have to be very very careful on prednisone and pay attention all the time. Some of the general rules about it being safe to eat healthy snacks when you're hungry, may not work on prednisone. So just be careful.
    @Susan -- sorry to hear about your friend's husband; it's so sad that the cancer wasn't picked up in all those ER trips.
    @Helen -- well done for sticking to your guns! Don't discount your successes; this journey is all about small steps.

Well, Sunday share... I don't know if we have any newbies this week, so I'll tell you a bit of different stuff about me. I'm Alison, I'm 47, and I'm married with two children and live in East London. I don't work at the moment but am trying to learn computer science and software engineering because I want to change the world and I believe that at the moment, being able to program computers to create apps is the best way to do that. I'm doing this by taking free online courses, and I'm so glad that they exist! I'm going a bit slower than I'd like but I'm definitely making progress.

I had always blamed my weight on having a busy job and no time to focus on eating healthily and exercising. So when I stopped working I no longer had an excuse. Also, in my former career I worked closely with occupational health doctors who know all about the link between unemployment/inactivity and poor mental and physical health. So (a) I knew that there was a serious risk to my health if I didn't focus on it, and (b) i wanted to be able to go back and see them in a year and say, roughly, 'see how much better my health is now that I've stopped working *here*.'

It is a *beautiful* day here today. Sun is shining, snow has all gone, it's a lot warmer. I'm definitely going to get a little run in, but I have some homework due today, I've got some family stuff to do, and we're back out at the folk club tonight. Onward!

Have a super sharing Sunday peeps!

-- Alison
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Up bright and early today enjoyed a quiet time in a wonderful quiet house. Love it. Today will be a busy one once I get going here. I meet with a small support group of wives every Sunday morning at 8:30 for coffee. We use this time to share our weeks seek advice if needed it but just share we normally have a Bible study too. Than after that my small group is hosting this month potluck after church. The theme voted on is a potato bar. But I do know there is going to be one really big green salad. That is the one I am making so I planning on a big helping of that. :happy:

@Helen -- Good for you for sticking up for yourself. Way to take a stand
    @Nicole sorry you had such a tough few days
    @Alison good for you being consistent on your weight loss. Steady!
    @Susan. -- so sorry about your friend's husband it is so sad.
    @Karen - that is a really good Saturday success story how encouraging! Cant wait to have one of those myself in the future but it will for me be the far future.
    @charlotte -- love going on those cleaning hinges myself -- good for you.

Need to get moving - because of how full today will be not sure getting a workout in. Plan for this to be a workout free day. But once I get to church I will be on my feet most of the time helping with setup and cleanup etc. So made my food goal to be 1300
    calories today.

Wishing everyone a good day.
    Liz from Caldwell, idaho
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    @Helen you can't help what's already in your house (ok, you could toss it, but what a waste) But you can and should control what comes in your home now. Good for you for saying no. That's how I let me ds get special snacks now -single serve only

@Skinny - what a great success. I hope you don't get that ice storm.

@Charolotte I always forget about our Wii. I will have to get it out and see what I can do on my non-run days. Glad you have something that gets you up and moving.

@Kris yum, twizzlers. Chocolate is my weakness, but I would have a hard time turning down a nice, fresh twizzler.

@Alison what a great career goal. When I see what is out there for apps, I'm astounded. I wish they'd had the iPad when my ds was younger. He has special needs and there is so much out there for children who need extra help.

Sunday truth - I'm 44 yrs old, single mom to one almost 15yr old ds. He has special needs - visually impaired as well as cognitively. It has been just the 2of us since before he was born. He leaves tomorrow for winter camp with his school. He's very excited. He will be gone until Thursday so I have the house to myself until then. I work full time at a local college in the finance department. Don't have anything planned for my free time except exercise and eat right, lol.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Sunday sharing: I've been cooking up a storm for my daughters, both had babies recently.(Rose Reisman vegetarian recipes)..I find they take a lot of time to make, not easy recipes. After today, taking a break from it. My life is busy with a lot of demands from family on it and I love it, but I find I'm tired. The weather here is going to warm up soon to above freezing. I can't wait. When it does , I'm taking bringing my little, grandson to my house. He likes to sweep outside and I'll take him for a walk along the lake. It will be a chance to for us to get outside.
    OH, on an exciting note, for the last couple of days I've been helping my daughter with her newborn. While at her house I saw coyotes and I think two bush wolves cross in front of her place and go into the Provincial Park (which is across the street). It was snowing softly and one of the wolves was huge...quite beautiful..I almost screamed with delight.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Sunday Sharing: I had to change the batteries in my scale because I just couldn't believe I was working out, eating 1200 calories a day and still losing so slowly. Changing the batteries didn't help.

I guess this last 10-20 pounds is going to try to hang around like the last couple of party goers at an all niter.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Helen great job on saying no to your guest desire for coffee cake.

Karen- That is a great NSV.

I will be back later tonight. I have papers to grade and then I am rock climbing.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

@laurie--good luck with the grading--I will be right there with you in spirit!

@mara--loved your analogy! Yes, from what I've seen of my other friends here on MFP, once you get close to your goal it gets really, really slow. Patience, Grasshopper.

@melancholy--wow, that wolf sighting sounds exciting! Here in suburban Chicago, we have quite a few foxes--both the small red and the larger tawny variety. One year my family came for christmas--at one point my dad went to get something from the car; when he came back in, he said there was a fox standing right outside our front door. I'm a city mouse, so I freak out a little when I see anything other than a squirrel or raccoon.:blushing: I've already told my husband the minute we see a bear, we sell our suburban house and move back to the heart of the city. :laugh:

@drojen--enjoy your "me" time while your son is at camp.

@liz--great plan to bring the salad! Enjoy your busy day. :flowerforyou:

@alison--I also used the "I'm too busy" excuse for years. I even "validated" it by losing 10 lbs every summer while off work and promptly gaining 15-20 over the course of the next school year. After 6-7 years of that pattern, I was woefully obese and unhappy. It's still harder to balance everything during the school year, but I now recognize that it's a choice I have to make--my health is too important to ignore 9 months of the year. Good for you for learning that programming stuff--I find it all very complicated, but I admire people who understand it.

Sunday Share:
    As most of you know, I've had "scale" issues for years now. My old home scale was woefully inaccurate and the needle hopped up and down from moment to moment, always about 20 lbs lower than the gym scale. As a result, I've used it to "keep tabs" but never as my official check-in. Instead, I've used the gym scale (it's one of those older balance scales) to track my weigh-ins. The problem with that method is that I'm weighing at different times of the day, after varying food/drink intakes--not a very consistent method. Also, when I would go to the doctor's office, I would always weigh about 6 lbs less than the gym scale (b/c my appts. were in the morning and fasting for blood work).

Now that I have my new digital scale, I'm in a quandary. When I received it last week, I weighed in the evening and it said 189 (1 lb lower than the gym scale), so I adjusted my ticker to reflect that weight, However, today is the first day I remembered to weigh in the morning before eating or drinking anything, and it says 186. Should I adjust my ticker to reflect this weight (which probably matches the doctor's scale)? I feel like I can keep track better if I use a morning weight, What do you guys think?
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep track of morning weight. It's always the lowest and therefore, in my opinion, the most correct.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Starbucks, I found this coupon today. You have to use your My Starbucks Reward Card to get the discount (according to the fine print), but a buck is a buck is a buck :)

http://ebm.e.starbucks.com/c/tag/hBRAyqTAJvkyvB8wh7uNsxBC9fj/doc.html
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I vote for the morning weight. I think that is more accurate. I'm disappointed that I only lost .8 of the 3 pounds I gained last week. I haven't had very many slow weeks so I am kind of spoiled.
    Someone asked about where we started and our goals. I started at the end of Sept, weighing 164#. I was motivated, at least in part, by my upcoming knee replacement. I lost 10# in the first 2 weeks before the surgery. My weight loss has been pretty consistent. I'm not really sure what my final goal is. I am losing 25# at a time. I have nearly lost the second 25. I've said that I will lose that much 5 times, but I'm not sure. I'm only 5' 1", but I have a rather compact "Welsh" body. I generally weigh more than I look like I do. Weight charts don't reflect a realistic weight for me. I haven't weighed less than 160# for many years. I just want to be healthy, so I'll be counting calories for the rest of my life. When I reach the 50# mark, I plan to reevaluate my goals and perhaps set my calories for bit slower weight loss. I know that whatever I do, I need to be able to eat real food, and live a real life. It has to be sustainable for the l o n g haul.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Kaye
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday everyone. Well the kids are off to home and Aunt Tammy is exhausted but we had a blast. They had a great time getting to assemble their own pizzas and we played wii dance and sports for hours.I had to take alot more breaks then everyone but I kept getting back up and jopining in when I got my breath back. I am a little stiff and sore today but a small price to pay for the smiles on their faces last night. Their parents are going through a rough patch right now and it is so sad to see them looking so serious all the time. In response to the person who asked when and where we started: I started in August when I got on the scale one morning and the scales said 378 pounds. I dont know why that number was so shocking and the ones before it weren't but I just knew at that point I had to do something. I started on my own just watching what I was eating and trying to start swapping out healthier choices and then I saw an article in Womans World about MFP a couple weeks later and I haven't looked back. My main goal at first is to get under 200. Once I get there I will evaluate and decide on an end goal. In the meantiem I am just focusing on smaller chunks. Right now I want to get uner 300 maybe by this summer. It is only 37 pounds away so I think very doable.It would be great if the weight would just disappear but it took me 20 years and 3 pregnancies to get here so I realize it will take a couple years probably to get where I would like to be. I told my husband I would take it slow and easy so he would have time to save for all the surgery I will want when I am done to get rid of all the hanging skin:laugh: Anyway have a great day everyone and enjoy whatts left of the weekend.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Skinny- I vote for the morning weight as well. Now that you have a good scale, I would only use that one for your "checking in" weight and only count the morning weigh ins. - Awesome NSV btw! Yay.

Jumpy- I've had you in my prayers... I hope that God recognizes screennames... ;)

jtconst- I hope your time with the kiddos was fun!

Rachael- yay for getting to the gym! I have had a gym membership for many years, but haven't gone since 2010. Every post I read about someone being at the gym inspires me a little more to go. (thanks) :)

Vicki- glad the meds are helping. I completely understand about the prednisone. When I have to take it, I'm not really hungry, but I crave crunchy bread like carbs. Keep carrot and celery sticks handy- maybe it will help.

Susan - I am sorry to hear about your friends. They will be in my prayers, as will you.

I was gluttonous yesterday. I did great most of the day, but then went out for another birthday dinner. I decided I had enough calories left to splurge on a fruity drink and standard burger stuff. That probably would have been okay, but my friend couldn't drink her drink, because it was too strong- - - um long story short, I was a bit stressed so I let loose after the two very strong drinks. We went to another friends, and after to another burger place... I just didn't want to care, if that makes sense?

Today, I am drinking tons of water and trying to get the junk out of my system.

I am not happy with my decisions lately.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree that weighing in the morning is best, I was just concerned about changing my weight. I decided to change it, but I feel a bit like I've "cheated" with the instant 3 lb loss. :ohwell:

@kaye--I agree that weight loss charts don't really reflect everyone. I mentioned before that I'm large-framed and fairly muscular. I've also been told I don't "look" my weight. One of my friends at school who also uses MFP is a couple of inches taller than me, but she's about 30 lbs lighter. She was surprised that I wear the same size as her and that I weigh so much more--she says I look smaller than her, but she's very small-boned (especially for her height). She calls them "bird-bones" and complains that she can't carry more weight. You'll know when you get to a reasonable weight for your body (much better than any chart can tell you).

@kris--thanks so much for the coupon! I just printed it out. Now if only this ice-storm would end so I can go use it.

I walked gunner and about halfway through the skies opened and little ice pellets started hurtling down at us. Needless to say we picked up the pace and almost ran the rest of the way home. I then went to the gym and did weights and the elliptical. The roads weren't too bad--I think all of the warning helped as our salt trucks had been out before the storm. Temps are supposed to rise and turn it all to rain this evening, so at least I won't have to dig my car out of a chunk of ice in the morning.

I still need to grade, but not sure if I will venture out to starbucks...

I also haven't cleaned my bathroom yet. :ohwell:
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,140 Member
    Options
    Hello friends - I hope all is well with you. I need to get up and walk around. My butt is yelling at me for sitting to long to try to write some replies. That's something I notice, much less padding means I cannot sit comfortably for a long time now. :bigsmile:

SUSAN – so sorry about your friend’s illness. Prayers and best wishes.

VICKI – how are you doing?? So sorry you’ve been ill and hope you’re on the mend now. Congrats on your shopping trip. What a wonderful result. Yeah!!!

ALISON – congrats on your upcoming SV. Great to see continuing results!

LMACKBETHL – congrats on maintaining your loss and I hope you did get out for a walk.

GRANDMAKAYE44 – I agree with you! I will think more than twice before waxing my lip. I think I’ll just remove the GIANTS with the tweezers and leave it at that.

NACETO – thanks for sharing your lessons learned with us. It’s a great list and for sure ALWAYS use a deadbolt lock.

JUMPY – I have clothes that are more than 10 years old and I plan to keep them!!!! They were pricey and they fit again. HAHA. I hope things are on the upswing for you.

KVANDEEST – glad you’re hanging in there! It’s always nice to see you.

JT – how did the sleepover go? Oh, I see you posted now and it sounds like a great time was had by all!

RACHAEL – congrats on joining the gym. Good job. I hope the kids will not make a fuss whenever you want to use the gym. Sounds like you are totally on track with everything. WONDERFUL!

DROJEN – it’s wonderful that you’ve found that running makes you feel so good. It’s great to find something you’ll stick with.

MYMOWMOW – blowing calories is not a pleasant experience but I know you’ll just move on and not let it get to you. I use to adore red laces or Twizzlers. No more, gluten free and sugar free life.

LAURIE – great work at the gym. That is a great bike ride.

HELEN – good for you. You really did stand up for yourself.

LIONESS – good for you---glad you hear you’re back on track.

KAH – good luck on the new challenge!!

CHARLOTTE – wow, you’ve accomplished a lot. I’m jealous!

LIZ – hope you don’t wear yourself out today! Sounds like a very busy day.

MELANCHOLY – it’s so nice of you to help out both of your daughters. I hope they appreciate the work you’ve done for them. I’m sure the wolves and coyotes were beautiful. I’m glad to hear you saw them from inside the house.

MARADIAZ – best of luck with the remaining few pounds.

SKINNY – I agree with the others, weigh in the morning. I track my info in a spreadsheet but only post on MFP once a week. But you should do what works best for you.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Lin in kind of icey Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share: Thanks everyone for the well wishes for my friends. I know their life has changed over night. I'll know more tomorrow, but I believe he starts aggressive with chemo on Wednesday. Everything is happening so fast.

Good day so far. My son and I went to church. After we got home, I decided to take a nice walk. It rained yesterday, which hardly does here in Vegas. Today was gorgeous though, but a little windy. I think I deserve some extra burned calories for pushing againsit the wind. It was a good 75 minute walk. This afternoon my son will be outside all afternoon playing and of course I'll be crashing perhaps napping before a full week at work. Enjoy your day and week ahead MFP friends!!!
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has congratulated me on joining the gym. It was a very big decision for me and I needed to do it. I get inspired with each of you everyday, reading all of your success and struggles. For the first time in my life, I'm being honest with myself and sharing a lot about my weight that I never did before.

Sunday share- for all the new folks, I'm rachael, 29 yrs old with 9 year old twins that have kept me on my toes since birth. I live in southern NJ. I started this fantastic journey on January 3, 2013. A friend asked if I wanted to do a marathon and my 302 lb body was in shock at the idea. I thought it might be fun and that's what sparked this life changing decision. So far I've lost 11 lbs. I don't get as winded as before, but I still do. My body still hurts when I do something new, which is good. I'm surprising my way undertones muscles. I let myself get to the highest weight I have ever been at in my life and sometimes I get angry with myself for allowing this to happen. This time will be the time that I am successful and a very big chunk of it is due to all the motivation, kindness and positivity from everyone here on MFP.

I really do adore everyone on this thread. I found this great motivational picture and it says "sweat is fat crying" I just love it! It's so true. For so long the fat lived on us and slowly we are makin it cry bc it can no longer take up residency on us. WE CAN AND WILL DO THIS!!

Have a great night everyone! Take care of those sore muscles :-)

-Rachael
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @rachael--I saw the "sweat is fat crying" quote on a thread here shortly after joining, and I absloutely fell in love with it! It made me feel better about how gross and sweaty I got working out. I still get sweaty, but I now longer think of it as gross--I think of it as cleansing. I'm no longer embarassed by the sweat b/c I know it's a result of me pushing myself. :flowerforyou: Also, you are lightyears ahead of where I was 25 days into MFP. I hadn't found this thread, and even after I did it took me awhile to admit my weight openly. You are rockin' this!!

@susan--sounds like a great walk!

@lin--but I bet it means you can stand comfortably for a lot longer! :laugh:

Ugh! I braved the ice storm to come to starbucks--finished one class of thesis statements, but I'm losing motivation. :grumble: I'm gonna do 5 more and then I'm heading home to make a lovely sweet potato!

Exercise Goals:
    Mon--gym (weights + bike) DONE
    Tues--walk gunner NOT DONE (too cold/windy) + core DONE
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym RAN AT HOME INSTEAD
    Thurs--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner DONE + gym (long run + elliptical) DONE
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + core DONE (at gym) + elliptical DONE

Grading Goals:
    1. 30/56 Reading Journals
    2. 30/56 JRP thesis statements
  • daddyssuze
    Options
    Hi, good evening, my name is Susan, I have learned much after a surgery I underwent in 2009 that low iron can be a huge factor in those aching legs. Hydration is the next factor. Mine would ache so bad that I felt like I could not hold them still, kicking them so to speak while I was laying down at night was my only relief but who can kick and sleep? I would wake up from my knees aching. But watching my iron and on really humid or cold and rainy weather I take some ibuprofen at night. This rarely happens to me now. Hope this helps. :)
  • CakePlate
    CakePlate Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm new here, but your post seemed to scream at me - HEY, she's just like you!! I started this on January 6th. The first two weeks the weight came off fast, I suspect mainly because it was water weight. I also have a lot to lose, so I kind of expected this instant gratification. I'm am eating well, staying under my calorie goal, and killing myself at the gym. When I weighed myself this morning I had gone up 2 lbs!!! WHAT?!! I know it isn't a medical condition because I've had an exam recently. Hormones? Sodium? I had a short term goal of losing 25 lbs before I have to be on an airplane the end of March. I'm starting to think I won't make it. Advice?