Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Thursday truth - I'm scared of my February Challenge - I've picked doing Leslie Sansone Walk a mile for a month. I know, I know, its only a mile each day, and I said only til I leave on vacation so its only for 25 days. But I'm scared of failing it. Tomorrow I have to start. Then I have to pack my laptop and take it to my BF buddy's house for the WE and make sure I watch her video on the net and do it at his house (ugh) (I won't let him watch :noway: ) well, thanks for letting me vent, it helps to have a plan..

Kaye - you can discuss anything here anytime. This thread is not strictly diet oriented, Oh how dull that would be. I'm glad you felt close enough to us to share your sadness over the dog-biting incident. Its really sad that happened and I feel bad for everyone involved. I hope there's time to arrange a good adoption, but I agree the dog must go with children in the house. In the meantime spray him with vinegar if he gets nippy, I've heard that's a good deterrent for bad behavior.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Robin, Thanks for suggestion. I will get a vinegar bottle ready first thing in the morning before Keith gets here.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    I took time this morning to back up and do some reading able to catchup on all of the posts.

Praying for all of those struggling.

@Melancholy sorry for your loss.

@ Kaye. That is so hard regarding your DIL. Dog but you do need to put the children 1st. Hopefully they will be able to find the dog a home more suitable for him.

@Toots sorry about the struggles your DH is facing with his job.

@Lin -- I can understand your impatience. You are doing great. I love almonds.

Wednesday wish is to find a new job that allows me to grow. I like my job but I really am ready to try something new.

Thursday truth : Having a hard time with the. Carbs. But didn't do much to change it. I was under by 1 yesterday but a co -worker brought in babels from my favorite babel shop. I stop at 2 but should have stop at none they weren't part of my plan for yesterday. J

Friday fitness :
    Friday walking the treadmill
    Saturday pool day at the Y water jogging
    Sunday fun time

Monday Y day - bike and swimming

Tuesday treadmill
    Wednesday treadmill
    Thursday treadmill
    Friday treadmill

February challenges : Drink 9 glasses of water a day.

Work out 4 days a week

Take that salad challenge. Eat a salad at least once a day.

Wishing everyone a good day.

Liz from Idaho
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    @Helen~I am so very sorry that your doctor isn’t listening to you, I was having the same problem with my previous doctor so had to switch to a new internist a few months ago. He told me that while my thyroid levels were really within the normal limits, he couldn’t ignore all of the symptoms I was still having – low and behold he switched me to armour thyroid and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. It might be really difficult to find an endocrinologist that takes self-referrals, I hope you can find one. If you can’t ask around and see if you can find another internist. Side-bar, I’m not sure I would trust my health to a doctor that thinks diet pills are the answer – not only that but thyroid patient’s shouldn’t take diet pills, it can greatly affect their adrenals making an already compromised thyroid worse. Have you talked to your doctor about switching you to Armour Thyroid? It is desiccated thyroid medication, not a synthetic – if you aren’t allergic to pork you can take it. The nice thing about it is that it treats both T3 and T4 not just T4 so it works a little bit better than Synthroid.

@Holly~I don’t think I can expand on anything that everyone has said regarding your BF situation. I’m really sorry that you are going through this, you deserve better and your son deserves a better role model. If he isn’t willing to take your relationship seriously and work on it, then he isn’t worth your time and energy. I know that you will make the best decision for you and your son, but it sounds like the sooner you end this toxic relationship the better. Hang in there, sending you virtual hugs!

@Kaye~I’m so sorry to hear about your DILs dog, I’m sure she is disappointed but I’m sure she also understands that you can’t have an aggressive dog around children – their safety needs to take priority.

@Meloncholy~I’m so sorry to hear about your MIL passing, thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Friday Fitness~Good week this week and made it to the gym yesterday for a short run like I wanted. My new HRM definitely has a learning curve, but I’ll figure it out. No exercise for me today as I’m going to the Stars hockey game tonight, but should get plenty of walking in. I’m still trying to decide if I want to take the train to the game instead of paying for parking – not sure how I feel about riding the train back late at night.

Fitness this week:

Monday~Elliptical at home DONE! :bigsmile:
    Tuesday~Off day
    Wednesday~Training (that my hamstrings are still paying for) DONE! :bigsmile:
    Thursday~Gym for run DONE! :bigsmile:
    Friday~None, hockey game
    Saturday~Long Run
    Sunday~Training

I know I missed a few personals, had so much to catch up on...

~Kelley
  • want2behappy31
    want2behappy31 Posts: 178 Member
    Mind if I join you all?
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    @Holly- I am sorry that you are dealing with that with the BF. I had a similiar situation and I had to cut him loose after 3 years. He was just more work and was actually like having a third kid. If he's making you feel like #$%! about yourself and not supporting you, why keep him around? It's hard to verbally say its over to them, but YOUR over all well being comes first! I wish you the best of luck. You have all the support in the world from everyone here. :)

@Helen- I hope that you find a doctor soon that is willing to listen to you. We ALL deserve a doc like that.

@kaye- I think your DIL will understand the situation. It is what it is. Maybe talk to her about it if she appears to be angry.

Friday Fitness- I worked out everyday except Monday and last night. I don't plan on working out tonight because I am still SO SORE. I'm taking Laurie's advice and letting my body rest. I keep stretching and it helps temporarily, but I am dieing.

On a seperate note, I'm so fed up with kids dad. He hasnt seen the kids since March 16th, 2012. He decided to stop paying child support in May 2012...and I had to keep calling the child support probation officer to make something happen. There were no repercussions for him until Christmas Eve. He finally got caught on non payment. He went to court in the beginning of Jan. and still no other payment. He now owes me over 2k. This is ridiculous..my kids are the ones that are suffering. Just had to vent.

Rachael
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Happy Friday friends;

It is -7 degrees here today so I am just trying to stay warm. MN use to have below zero temps for the entire month of Jan but due to changes global stuff it rarely gets that cold anymore so we are not use to it.

Friday fitness well plan to go to the gym this weekend both days. Plan to walk 60 minutes and us the elliptical.

@Kaye- Like Robin said talk about anything you like. I also echo what others have said about kids safety. We have always had dogs growig up and when they would start to snip or bite at us or other kids my parents found them new homes. I know it is hard but it is best for the kids. It would also be best if they disclosed that info to the new owner also. Dogs we got off farm families acted like that a lot.
    @Laurie- I attached your comment to the end of this post but the DEPO shot also causes bone loss in women over 35. My docotor said weight bearing exercising will help with bone loss. (Today, I learned something very interesting about bones. As you know that as we get older we lose bone mass and density. Exercise and light weight lifting can help reverse this process. )
    @Helen- I feel like you need a second opinion on your health concern. Best wishes
    @Robin- Fear of Feb challenge maybe mentally setting you up to fail. I know when I think of failing at something I mentally set myself up to fail. I posted a note on every door I use in the house saying to "Girl Did You Do Your Situps Yet!!"
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Whew, so many posts, so little time!!! Will do my best to include everyone. apologies if i've forgotten anything/anyone important.

@ Lin - I've just started this journey and I'm already impatient. Can't wait to get under 200 and I've a long way to go, LOL. YOu are doing great!

@Angelika - power purge - oh how I need one of those! Perhaps I'll make a plan to do it during my week off in the summer.

@Kaye - children come first. While it was nice of her client to leave her the dog, if it's not used to children, it's bound to be a bad fit. It's a hard decision, but one that is for the best.

@ melancholy - sorry for your loss.

@ Queen - It is easier said than done, I know, but it's time to end that toxic relationship if he's not willing to work at it. I was in one for several years. And it was hard to walk away - easier to stay with the devil you know than put yourself back out there. I'd like to say i found a better man, but I had my ds shortly after the break up and I've chosen to (or stayed fat to ensure I??) remain alone for the last 15 yrs. And I love your posted notes idea!

@ Helen - Doctors - too many of them don't listen and I have to wonder about a Dr. who pushes diet pills as a solution to weight loss too.

@ ashley - of course you can join us. welcome! tell us a little about yourself.

@ rachel - sorry about your kid's dad. I hate hearing about men who don't take responsibility for their kids. you didn't make them on your own, after all.

Friday fitness - starting week 5 of my running plan today. Got in 2 days of simple weight training exercises plus some walking on the treadmill.

February challenge - walk/run on the treadmill every day - no time or distance limit, just do something!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @kaye--as long as the dog is still with you in the house, there is a product called "Stop That!" you can use to deter negative behaviors. It's a little aerosol can and it's basically a pheremone spray that tastes/smells really vile to the dogs (no affect on humans). It's totally safe and doesn't harm the dog either. My husband got it for me to carry when walking gunner in case a loose dog approaches. I've only had to use it once when a neighbor's loose dog was following us. I wasn't sure if she was friendly and she wouldn't go away. So I sprayed her (and gunner by default) and she immediately ran off back home. It would also let you know if the dog IS trainable--if it responds well, your dil may be able to keep it after all.

@helen--I agree with the others--find a new doctor.

@robin--don't be scared! You know you can do it!! :drinker: And think of how much closer you'll be to Rivendell by monthss end!

@angelika--every time you post about the power purge, I think "wow, I really need to do that!" I have a whole bunch of belts--many from my college days and surely well out of fashion-- I need to go through them one of these days.

@lin--just when you were getting impatient, I see your ticker has moved another few lbs--congrats! :flowerforyou:

@laurie--too many sweets and not enough protein has been the story of my life for the past couple of months! That's why I chose to focus on protein for our Feb. chanllenge--and it starts today! :noway:

@karenleona--glad your doc approved some more activities for you--that must be so liberating!

@shygurl--hey rebecca!! it's so nice to see you pop in--and it looks like you're still making progress--over 100 lbs lost!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:

@doug--no one here will swat you on the nose with a rolled up newspaper--you are back at it, and that's what matters! Have you signed up for any races in the near future? I know that always motivates me to run, even on the days I'm feeling lazy.

I will be back later to post Friday Fitness. Time to go mold young minds. :tongue:

Exercise Goals:
    Mon--walk gunner DONE
    Tues--run outside (60+ degrees!!) RAINING so I went to the gym (bicycle + treadmill) DONE
    Wed--walk gunner DONE + core CLEANED INSTEAD
    Thurs--walk gunner NOT DONE (way too cold)
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym (long run)
    Sun--walk gunner + gym

Grading Goals:
    1. 30/56 America poems/journals
    2. 1/3 annotate student sample papers
    3. x/56 JRP plans
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Ashley - welcome! You've come to a great thread. Join right in.

Rachael - you've been doing so well. Sorry to hear you're having problems with your ex-husband. I hope and pray he gets his act together and starts making payments. I hate to think of the shame a child feels when he or she realizes that a parent does not want to support them.

Happy February Everyone. I'm so happy to see January gone and to see the winter progress on!

Daily Fitness: Leslie Sansone Walk a Mile: Today not done yet.
  • grandmakaye44
    Thank you for your support and suggestions for the dog. I have a spray bottle of vinegar ready. We don't have very much shopping here, so I will probably have to wait until we get out of town for "Stop it". He is very subdued this morning. Its almost as if he knows how much trouble he's in. I agree that any new home needs know that he's aggressive toward small children. I wish we could find him a home with an elder person who is alone a lot. He's the sweetest lap dog when the kids aren't here. He has adopted me and I will miss him sitting on my lap in the evenings. Don't expect much conversation with DIL. She tends to keep things to herself, but I'm sure it will pass.
    So sorry for the problems some of you are having with relationships. It must be very hard to deal with those things.
    I did a "dry run" yesterday on the water and was able to get 8 glasses. Today its for real. I'm really hoping it will become a habit before the end of the month.
    My fitness goals are just to keep walking. I'm enjoying being able to get outside to walk again. It would be even more enjoyable if all of the people in the neighborhood would be more thoughtful about cleaning their walks. Just saying.
    Have a good day. We all need the courage to just do what has to be done! Kaye
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Good morning everyone.

I had to cancel my blood donation today because I’m still on anti-biotic. :frown:
    I do feel a little better though.:smile:

My every day in Feb. task will be 10 minutes of strength training. Which I did today, yay 1/1!:drinker:

Hope you all have a healthy day!

Tom
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @tom--great Feb. challenge goal! I've read that if you strength train every day, you should alternate muscle groups (arms, legs, core) tos give the muscles time to rest. Glad those anti-biotics are working and you're feeling better!

@kaye--loved your pun! :laugh:

Friday Fitness:
    Well, I did okay with fitness, but I only got to the gym once during the work week and didn't run on my home treadmill at all. I know I can do better (and DID do better the previous 2 weeks). I have plans after school today and it's crazy cold (below zero wind chills :noway: ) so no gym or walking today, but I plan to do my core work this evening. Tomorrow will be my long run at the gym and I may go again on Sunday to earn some calories for a Superbowl party I'm attending in the evening.

Trying to get some grading/prep work done, so I'll talk to you all later.

Oh, and I'm at 29 grams of protein so far. I plan to have boneless skinless chicken breast for dinner, so that will help boost my number.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    February Goal-- At least twelve glasses of water daily and more fiber. Mfp suggest 30 for my daily target number. That seems rather high, but I'll try. (I worry about fiber interfering with my synthroid....)
    The doctor has me on the iron three times a day. That seems like a lot, so I called him and asked him if I'm supposed to taper off after a week or two. He said no, but that I could start slower so it doesn't upset my stomach. I asked for how long. He said months, years, maybe forever. He then went on to say that my iron count was very low and it takes priority now. Okay.... BUT, I read it can cause constipation.... so even though I've been avoiding soy, iron and fiber because my synthroid info. says these things can hurt absorption, I'm now taking iron supplements and need to increase my fiber so I won't be constipated. I will, however, cooperate with the iron supplements. For now. I intend to ask a friend the name on his endocrinologist (whom he is very pleased with), and then try to make an appointment. I know it is the right thing to do. Thanks for the advice. Funny story.... I told my husband what I was thinking, asked him if he thought that was the right thing to do, and he immediately said yes and googled endocrinologists, leaving no doubt in my mind what he thought. :smile: I guess the reason it's funny is because I know if the situation was reversed, that's exactly what I'd do.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    @Helen~When all else fails an endocrinologist is the answer. I really hope you can get in to see one.

Originally I had planned to do planks/push-ups every day in February, but decided on protein instead – I’m supposed to eat 139g of protein a day and very often don’t get near that. So my objective every day in February is get at least that!
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    @Toots sorry about the struggles your DH is facing with his job.

thanks.
    Mind if I join you all?

welcome!
  • Hey all!!
    Well that last week and a half really kicked my butt!! I binged sooo hard on stuff it was really bad. So I threw a giant pitty party and now I'm over it (I think). I cooked a whole chicken and got my fav salad blend so I can make a quick salad for work. And also got some soups to take with me so I quit ordering out. It's not friendly to my wallet or my thighs.
    I am NOT looking forward to the weigh in today. YIKES!!:noway:

1139_580561885306602_1770690708_n.jpg
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Saturday -- 5k parkrun; I'll walk if the field is too snowy to run in. Might even run *more* later, given the weather forecast. Parkrun DONE
    Sunday -- badminton booked plus maybe running or 30DS -- Badminton DONE
    Monday -- Morris, plus maybe running -- Run and badminton DONE -- my highest calorie exercise day ever.
    Tuesday -- 30DS, or maybe dance mat or Zumba - Nope, REST and is it any wonder
    Wednesday -- badminton club I really hope DONE and 30DS DONE
    Thursday -- long run if possible - no but 30DS DONE
    Friday -- this is the day that I'm going to steam roll myself thin and end up at 5ft 8! So awesome, I can't wait... This turned out not to be practical but badminton DONE

OK: this week --

Saturday -- 5k parkrun, really hoping to set a PB today
    Sunday -- long run maybe?
    Monday -- Badminton booked
    Tuesday -- run
    Wednesday -- Badminton
    Thursday -- run
    Friday -- badminton

Walking from Hobbiton to Rivendell -- 57 miles and we're just coming up to Farmer Maggot's fields. Which seems a bit odd -- I'd have thought they'd have been a lot closer to Hobbiton than that.

Hey, it's the first of the month, and it's measurements time! So. Bust is 44.5 inches, waist 45 inches, hips 49 inches, and that's all come down an inch or so this month so I am very happy! Waist/hip ratio is still "extreme" but it does feel like I'm losing faster on my waist than my hips which is really good.

Groundhog day -- well, I'm 2 days in on plank, so that's good. On protein, I've blown it on day one -- only 60 grams. I will try to do better tomorrow.

@Desdemina -- Big cheers for sticking to your plan! I'm in the UK and I've never seen The Biggest Loser -- but I'm a pretty serious fat-acceptance Health At Any Size sort of person so I'm not sure it's the sort of show I'd like. (I guess you lot don't see much of that here because I feel comfortable assuming that anyone posting in this thread is motivated to lose weight) And I'm slightly fretty about all the stuff about how dodgy TBL is, because I really like Jillian Michaels (both her workout vids and her podcast and emails) and I know she's a trainer on the show.
    @Melancholy2 -- I'm so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Hope you and your husband are ok.
    @Drojen -- getting moving every day helped me *so* much. I mean, there are days I don't exercise, but it's pretty rare now. And I just started with that exact resolution to move every day.
    @Toots -- I know it's hard to get out of work situations like that but he needs to be saying to his boss 'here's what I'm supposed to do in a week, and here's what I can actually do. I can't work any faster or do any more, so which of these things do you want me to drop?' Good luck.
    @Doug -- Welcome back! It's so good to have you here -- we've been definitely feeling a lack of the menfolk recently. You'll be back below 300 in no time if you sort out a program. Just go for a walk, or a very short run. You'll feel so much better for it! You can totally do this thing.
    @Kaye -- Sometimes it just doesn't work out with pets. You need to not feel bad about this; if the dog is aggressive to kids, your grandkids have to come first. I don't suppose there's any way you could have the cats downstairs with you so that the dog can stay upstairs?
    @Holly -- I think full length mirrors are good, especially once you start losing a bit. Good luck dealing with your bf. You know that he shouldn't be denying your feelings or not respecting them. Time to draw a line I think.
    @Helen -- I'm not sure that doctor is right for you. I think surgery's probably a good solution for people who are certain they can't lose any other way, but there are other alternatives. One of the people on the list has a bariatric specialist who's explicitly not about surgery -- perhaps your doctor could refer you to someone like that?
    @KarenLeona -- such good news about your bike and driving! And well done for finding a non-food way to celebrate!
    @Rebecca -- good to see you here!
    @Rachael -- it's probably just muscle soreness after being worked really hard by your trainer. I think it's possible to build these things up more gradually, but it's unlikely to do you any harm. Working out will actually help if you can bear to, but resting is ok too. And good luck making your ex see sense and start supporting his kids properly.
    @Lin -- It does take a lot of energy and time, doesn't it? But look how far you've come on the journey!
    @Ang -- well done for keeping on with the purge!
    @Ashley -- welcome!
    @Karen -- I really need a product like "Stop That!" to spray on my son to deter negative behaviours... I wonder if there's something like that? We currently use our magic power of Taking The Computers Away.
    @Tom -- good luck with your 10 minutes of strength!
    @Kristen -- well done with getting back on track!

Weird NSV today. I'm on a lower calorie target now, but I'm also finding that some of my 'ordinary' meals are a bit big. So we went to IKEA after badminton as we do sometimes (it's literally just round the corner), and I thought 'huh, don't really fancy the regular meatballs, the small one will be plenty'. And it was. My favourite pre-running breakfast (poached eggs and potato cakes) is still fine before a long run, but other times it's started to feel like just too much food. This feels like a good sign, as if my body feels I don't need quite so much food now I'm not hefting so much lard around.

Hope you've all got a fantastic weekend planned!

-- Alison
  • grandmakaye44
    Alison, you so made me laugh at the need for "Stop That" for your son. Unfortunately, I am allergic to cats, so the cats have to stay upstairs. DIL told me today that they are going to try to find a trainer that can help train the dog out of his bad habit. He was a rescue dog in the first place so who knows where the bad habits came from. My son has told her that we can give the training 6 weeks, unless he does it again. Then he has to go. I just told her about "Stop It". She gets out of town more often than I do. Maybe she can find it so we can try it. I'm willing to work with them. I'll just have to be extra vigilant when kids are here.
    Thanks for caring. Kaye
  • shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    @ Robin, Helen and Kaye- I did some research today on Toxic relationships and I truely believe I am in one. Based on what I read it will never change without hard work on both parties. To Helen I have tried to tell him how I feel but he doesn't really seem to care in my opinion because he will say things like "You have no right to feel like that or That's stupid that you feel like that". I will definately need to pull my big girl britches up and stand up for what I know I deserve.

I am so glad to hear you say this. It is definately a toxic relationship and he needs a deadline to be out! You are worth so much more than this.

Rebecca aka Shygur