Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Denise8P
    Denise8P Posts: 23
    Options
    Thursday Truth: I have the nasty habit of grabbing small bites here and there and pretending they don't exist. Last night I ate two marshmallows that were sitting in a bag on the table and went on my merry way. Not a huge deal, but 50 calories of pure sugar right there that I never even entered! I really need to hold myself accountable for every single nibble going forward.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

@Morgori~Another great quote and so true!
    @dwilliams~We’re all guilty of that but something I learned a long time ago is to track all of your BLTs (bites, licks and tastes) otherwise they can really do you in.
    @tlh~Great loss this week! See? Hard work does pay off. :wink:
    Welcome to all the newlings I’ve missed along the way.

Thursday Truth~Truthfully it’s been a great week, food wise and exercise wise so I hope the scale reflects that tomorrow. I’m being honest with myself about journaling my wine and actually have cut back dramatically in that department – limiting myself to one glass (harder than it sounds). :grumble:

There is a guy on You Tube that I subscribe to and caught up with a couple of his videos this morning (when the boss is away…:wink: ). We all know that consistency is key. One of the things he discussed this morning was our ability to stick to a weight loss program. No one can live on tilapia and broccoli 365 days a year, we need to learn to adapt our diets to fit in the foods that we enjoy – it doesn’t mean that we should diet 6 days a week and then gorge one day. We need to treat ourselves to that slice of pizza or that bowl of ice cream every once in a while – allowing ourselves these treats every once in a while will keep us more centered on the big picture. Not to mention the fact, that one day of binging can completely undo any loss you had for the week. Also, the consistent roller coaster of losses and gains can mess with your metabolism. We're all guilty of this, I know I've done it in the past - I have tried to change my thought patterns though and treat myself to something I really want periodically. Just food for thought that I wanted to share, we can ALL do this!
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    I do. I'll post later.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Kah - great discussion topic you brought up. I agree that it can mess up your metabolism to diet, diet, diet, and then binge, and repeat the pattern! It is much better to periodically just allow yourself the occasional pizza or ice cream, and log it.

Another thing I have been thinking about is how I gulp food and beverages, Kah. Even water. I still, after 2 years, am not a nibbler or a sipper, I still gulp at my water, coffee and other liquids, and find I have to be extremely consciencious of eating so that I take small bites and chew them sufficiently. This really helps to slow down meals and enjoy the food.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    @GrandmaKaye - Wow, you are one busy lady. I think you do more in a day than I do in a week.....
    @JTConst - You are becoming my workout hero. Seriously, you are pushing it HARD. Grats on the HUGE NSV! Zumba is one of my goals! I'm to self concsious to sign up now, but I'm hoping by next winter I'll be able to get in there and dance around!
    @SteelySunshine - Welcome! I was a hardcore processed food eater. I also tested very firmly in the diabetes zone my first A1C last March(2012). Thankfully, careful eating and losing weight has that fixed and my last 4 tests were very firmly in the 'safe' zone.
    @TopsMarca - Wow, great job on staying under . Super job! I hope you are feeling better!
    @Robin - Hpe you found some great stuff at Goodwill. Ive NEVER shopped in one because I always assumed they'd never have anything big enough to fit me, but I think next month I'm going to hit them up to see what sort of summer wear I can find to carry me through until the fall.
    @AUWGal - It does seem daunting, I had close to 200 to lose when I started and I always felt like it would NEVER come off. It's much easer to focus on smaller realisitc goals. Pick a date or event (picnic, party, even preplan a night out with the hubby) and set a realistic weight loss goal (but one that will still push you) for THAT date. If your goal is 20lbs and you have already lost 18, it's MUCH easier ot turn down that candy bar or cake.... you only have TWO more lbs to your goal! When you reach that goal, reward your self with something wonderful that's non food related.
    @Suzee - I suggested the support garment because that's what I had to do when I first started working at this job. I had days where I would have to stand for long periods and when I first started (before my weight loss journey) I would have to sit and rest after only 10 or 15 minutes. The support garments really helped and tbh I still wear them (yay, in smaller sizes) some days. It's just a bit of extra support. I also agree with Robin, my posture before was HORRIBLE. I was always hunched over trying to make myself appear small and I've noticed that when I take the time to pay attention and force myself to stand up straight and try to force myself to lead with my hips (not my upper body) it made all the difference.
    @Tina - I'm so excited for you that things are going so well. You are just doing it ALL!
    @Kah - I'm so glad to hear that your Gran is doing better.
    @Susancanbethin - I used to really miss the taste of processed sugar but now I find I'd rather just drink plain water. Even cold tea doesn't really appeal to me. I think you'll find the longer you stay with it, the more your tastes will change and the easier it will become.
    @Linder - Yikes, it's so rough on you having to do all that you are...
    @Susan - You can totally do this. I don't think I've EVER talked a stronger than I think you are. We both know what we had to do to lose the weight, we just have to push ourselves back there again.
    @skinnyjeanz - So glad to hear you're still on the E Cig and tapering it off. That is wonderful news!
    @Mr. M - Your beef stroganoff recipe is going into my menu next week I think! OUr local grocery had a mix and match BOGO free meat sale and I picked up two BIG packs of steaks and two GIANT chickens to last me for a while. That's the perfect way to use some of that beef!
    @tlh0407 - THat's something I struggle with as well. It seemed so easy when I was losing the weight fast that I just got derailed. In my mind I keep comparing it to driving too fast on a wet road...before you know it you're hydroplaning and out of control... you have to slow back down to get control back (if that makes sense to anyone else, I don't know..)
    @Priyan - WElcome! Grats on your finishing your masters.
    @Dwilliams - I have that problem as well. I have to force myself to enter the bites while I'm cooking (or subtract that amount of the ingredients out of the dinner) and it always makes me mad at myself with how much it changes my numbers.

I agree, we have to incorporate the things we love and want. We have to make room for what we want or we'll never make it. That said, I think we all (or at least I do) have trigger foods that you just need to avoid. There are somethings that when I eat, I just can't seem to stop myself. So, while I'll make room for the occasional pizza or ice cream.... there's no way I can have chocolate in my house. One bite sends me eating the entire bag/bar/container.

THursday Truth - Feeling 100% better (emotionally) than I have in the last 3 or 4 months. If this keeps up I think it will be time to discuss it with my Dr. Something to help me level out my emotions without turning me into a zombie. Mr. Mow has been a great walking buddy and I didn't take him out last night (did my 30 minutes of walking at the office) ...he drove me BATTY. He sat in front of the door and "Mowed" and "Mowed" for HOURS last night. It's supposed to be rainy until Saturday so he's going to have to deal with it until then, BUT it looks like it's going to be nice all next week. LOTS of walking time for both us.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Chicago is sinking...major expressways closed due to flooding, a sinkhole opened and swallowed 3 cars, it's just a mess here. Fortunately, our house is fine, but my parents are getting water in their basement. This is after they spent over $10 thousand on plumbing and foundation repairs after the previous flood a year ago. They were just about to put in new flooring, but now they'll have to figure out where the water is coming from. :grumble:

HAve faculty bowling after school, so I'll be back later tonight. :smile:
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Robin~I have the same problem, I tend to eat faster than I should. I’m even guilty about eating dinner at the counter in the kitchen instead of sitting down. I have no idea what my rush is, I need to learn to slow down too.
    @Kris~I agree, there are foods I need to avoid as well – Cheetos and Pretzel M&Ms, neither can be in my house at any time or I will consume the entire bag! I’m so glad you are feeling better about things.
    @Karen~Yikes about all of the flooding you all are enduring right now, we don’t have basements here but I can sure empathize with that situation. I hope your weather improves soon. Enjoy bowling!

There was a huge blast in West, TX (about 80 miles from me) yesterday at a fertilizer plant that created a seismic event. I didn’t feel it but a lot of towns south of me did – it leveled schools and homes. There are multiple fatalities and a lot of firemen are missing. Unbelievable, the events of this week. :sad:
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Had to jump in real quick and share todays nsv. I was getting dressed to go to town and grabbed the wrong capris but turned out they were all right. It was the 24's I had bought to shrink down into last week only they fit perfect today:bigsmile:

Nice victory!!! Good thing they were not the ones you wore to cut the lawn!!!:laugh:
  • karenleona
    Options
    I am pretty new to this thread, but I *certainly* want to lose 100 pounds (plus.. more. We will just go with more).

So far, even though my counter says 0, I have actually lost 8 pounds. I have to stop doing the math of how long it will take me to get where I want to be, because it just feels so daunting. I am proud of myself thus far, I mean, I am keeping under my calorie goal, and trying to work out (when I am not horribly exhausted) which is better than I was doing. I just worry about being able to keep this up. I am almost 27. I don't want to live the rest of my life feeling the way I do about myself today.

I am hoping threads like these will help keep me focused on the big (but getting smaller!) picture, and that I can maintain my motivation. Thanks in advance for all the help!

forget about the 100+ pounds. Concentrate on your next goal of losing 10 pounds. That is doable. then set another goal but only focus on the one at hand. You will get more energy as you do this but donèt overdo it with the exercise at first or you will burn yourself out
  • karenleona
    Options
    Wednesday Wish: I need to get my BUTT back on this journey. I've not completely derailed, but this constant battle is wearing thin. I know MowMow spilled her soul and she's always been one of my cheerleaders. The fact she's lost 100+ lbs and still has to fight this mental game really puts things in perspective for me. This is something I'm going to have to tackle all of my life. I know this weight didn't come on overnight and I know it's going to take time to lose it PLUS learn the mental side of it as well. It's just helping me to know I'm not alone. Thank goodness for this group and your support. You guys mean the world to me.

i agree that the mental aspect of this journey is the toughest. Even tho i did not gain the weight overnight i still want to lose it overnight :laugh: . ya, ya, ya...I know this is a lifetime thing but sometimes the mental workout is harder than my gym workout
  • karenleona
    Options
    Chicago is sinking...major expressways closed due to flooding, a sinkhole opened and swallowed 3 cars, it's just a mess here. Fortunately, our house is fine, but my parents are getting water in their basement. This is after they spent over $10 thousand on plumbing and foundation repairs after the previous flood a year ago. They were just about to put in new flooring, but now they'll have to figure out where the water is coming from. :grumble:

HAve faculty bowling after school, so I'll be back later tonight. :smile:

oh my goodness!!!! sorry to hear about your parents house....
  • karenleona
    Options
    kah68- was reading about that fire and explosion in the news today. Unbeleivable tragedy. Do they know what started the fire.

Robin broight up a good point about enjoying our food. As a nurse for 35 years i am used to eating quickly due to short breaks. Now i notice that i tend to watch tv, read a book and eat at the same time and often wonder where the food went off my plate!!
    I am stiff and sore from cutting the lawns yesterday but glad i did it as it rained again last night.
    Car battery died today :mad:
    anybody heard from Aug lately
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Karen that is funny I was just thinking it has been awhile since I have seen BigAug make a post, I hope is doing well!

Anybody have any insight as to how many calories per meal is a good way to go? I looked at my habits and Breakfast is my fewest calories consummed ~ 350 , followed by lunch ~ 550 , and most for dinner ~ 900. Dinner is often less but snacking after dinner is has been making up for that.:grumble: I know I need to snack less. It seems to me that if I eat 1800 Calories a day three meals of 600 calories would be a better way to go. So even right now while typing this I'm thinking that since I exercise in the mornings and at work on my breaks I should be eating 900 for breakfast, 550 for lunch, and 350 for dinner since I'm least active at night.

Hey 3M, here is the recipe I could not find it in the database so that either does not work yet or I did it wrong.

Beef Stroganoff
    See this Recipe in a Meal
    Here’s a diabetes-friendly version of classic beef stroganoff. Save yourself prep time with this recipe by buying presliced mushrooms.
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Ingredients
    5 ounces uncooked Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Whole Grain egg noodles
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 pound boneless beef tenderloin tips, sliced into 2-inch strips
    1 ½ cups sliced mushrooms
    ½ cup minced onion
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    ½ cup dry white wine
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1 14.5 ounce can fat-free, low-sodium beef broth
    ½ cup fat-free sour cream
    ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
    ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
    Instructions
    1. Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt.
    2. Add oil to a large sauté pan over high heat. Add meat and sauté for about 3 minutes. Remove meat from pan. Add mushrooms and onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until beginning to brown.
    3. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Add wine to deglaze pan; cook for 2 minutes. Add Dijon mustard and beef broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
    4. Add beef and any juices back to broth and simmer for 3 more minutes. Add sour cream, salt (optional), and pepper; simmer for 30 seconds.
    5. Serve over whole-grain egg noodles.

I leave out the salt and wine just for personal preferences. I deglaze with broth.

Tom
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Tom!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Big Aug is on my friends list and he is posting to his food and activity log regularly, so that's good. I'm glad to see he's doing that. Still trying like the rest of us!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,131 Member
    Options
    kah68 - thanks for the recommendations.:heart: Meanwhile.................my Wednesday wish came true today!:heart::heart: I slogged out through the mud to go to a used book sale. It was very muddy, freezing cold, the bathrooms were flooded and water was seeping into the building BUT I got an excellent book that meets my needs. "Strength Training for Women" by Joan Pagano. Well illustrated, exercises for every muscle group, information on how many reps to do for toning and special considerations for osteoporosis. Wonderful find! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I had a difficult time getting home as a flat bed tow truck had come to pull a car out of the mud. That took quite a while but when he was ready to go apparently the gear box wouldn't cooperate with him and he went nowhere! I saw him calling in on his radio repeatedly but nothing happened for quite a while. Finally magically the truck inched forward and the car ahead of me zoomed out. I drive a tiny car so I pretty much slid down the hill and did my best to stay out of the muddy ruts.:wink:

So sorry to hear of the sink holes/flooding in Illinois. :sad: In Iowa we have a number of closed highways, school dismissals and the like. I have a sump pump that is as close to running constantly as the poor thing can manage.:blushing:

Also sorry to hear of the explosion in Texas. Everything seems unhappy lately..........:brokenheart:

Gotta run my friends. It is reassuring to know you are always here. Thanks.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Lin

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Lin, every time I see your ticker, I am inspired. You are so close to goal!
    Thursday truth: I finished my shirt and it is too small. I had DD measure me so I would have accurate measurements, and used the measurements printed on the pattern, so it should have fit. Oh, well. I'm still getting smaller. It will fit eventually.
    Nothing else really to report. Things are certainly quiet here compared to the rest of the country. My thoughts are prayers are with all those who are suffering.
    Together we can do this. Kaye
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't come home and workout, but at clinicals I got plenty of exercise! Not used to being on my feet moving around all day (well 6.5hrs) and I was SO tired afterwards! I had to get some homework done and relaxed a little bit after dishes.

I logged 2.5hrs of walking since I'm not used to being on my feet and moving around all day.

Clinicals was interesting, not as bad as I thought it all would be. Kind of excited about Monday! Except for the fact that I have to wear long sleeves under my scrubs due to my tattoo on my right arm so I was sweating!

Hope everyone had a great day!

Tina
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Karen- Sorry to hear about your parent's house. Water in the basement is no fun. Hope the find the problem and can get it fixed before it gets worse.

Kah- Glad you are safe from the explosion in West Texas. That was just horrible to hear about this morning.

My heart goes out to everyone in Boston who was impacted by the attack. I heard a great story on the radio today about the Bruins games last. The person who was singing the National Anthem had to stop singing because the audience was singing the song and it sounded wonderful. The person keep singing but you could really hear the crowd during the song- American Pride was present.

Welcome to all the new people.

I have been MIA this week due to being busy with work and other events. I took last night for me but had test papers to grade. I really wish papers could grade themselves. I still have benchmark tests to grade and unit tests to regrade--ugh the students did horrible on the unit test so hopefully the corrections will be better. Tonight I went out with a friend for dinner after a meeting I had. I decided I needed a night just to relax and enjoy life.

Tuesday- I invited the social group I belong to go Rock Climbing with me and they actually did. Everyone had a wonderful time and said they want to go again. I may actually get a few more rock climbing friends in the process. I did a little climbing in but my arms were tired from belaying so that made climbing more difficult- I still did it and impressed the people I was with-I think I was more disappointed in myself for not making the walls I can usually make.
    Monday- I had a great workout with my trainer and I bet the record for his workout by finishing it in under 20 minutes. That makes up for not being able to press the 70lbs that I wanted to press only managed 60lbs. In all fairness, my left arm was still sore from the bike ride so hopefully I will be able do better next time. Yes, 60lbs is a great number but I know I can do better.

Truth- I have been eating out to many times this week. Next week, I will go back to eating at home more often. This has been a week of meeting up with friends for dinner. It was great to spend time with friends so I am not going to fret about it and I did my best to make the best choices possible.

GOALS FOR April 14-20
    Sunday- Swim DONE
    Monday- Trainer Workout DONE
    Tuesday- GYM belaying DONE
    Wednesday- GYM NOT DONE- REST Day
    Thursday-REST DONE
    Friday- Rock climbing very excited I am getting new shoes that won't hurt my toes as much.
    Saturday-gym and rock climbing.

I am heading to bed. It has been a very long week and I need to get some sleep. I will catch up with everyone this weekend.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Mr. Mow has been a great walking buddy and I didn't take him out last night (did my 30 minutes of walking at the office) ...he drove me BATTY. He sat in front of the door and "Mowed" and "Mowed" for HOURS last night. It's supposed to be rainy until Saturday so he's going to have to deal with it until then, BUT it looks like it's going to be nice all next week. LOTS of walking time for both us.

i think it's so funny and awesome how much he loves that stroller.
    Chicago is sinking...major expressways closed due to flooding, a sinkhole opened and swallowed 3 cars, it's just a mess here.

i saw that. this week is really one of those times where you think the end of the world must be coming :laugh: glad that your family fared pretty well, all things considered.
    There was a huge blast in West, TX (about 80 miles from me) yesterday at a fertilizer plant that created a seismic event. I didn’t feel it but a lot of towns south of me did – it leveled schools and homes. There are multiple fatalities and a lot of firemen are missing. Unbelievable, the events of this week. :sad:

so sad. so much tragedy this week. i have a lot of friends from that area. just tragic.
    @toots- moving burns a lot of calories

yeah, it turned out to be something ridiculous like 1700 calories.
    Had to jump in real quick and share todays nsv. I was getting dressed to go to town and grabbed the wrong capris but turned out they were all right. It was the 24's I had bought to shrink down into last week only they fit perfect today:bigsmile:

woohoo congrats.
    I am pretty new to this thread, but I *certainly* want to lose 100 pounds (plus.. more. We will just go with more).

So far, even though my counter says 0, I have actually lost 8 pounds. I have to stop doing the math of how long it will take me to get where I want to be, because it just feels so daunting. I am proud of myself thus far, I mean, I am keeping under my calorie goal, and trying to work out (when I am not horribly exhausted) which is better than I was doing. I just worry about being able to keep this up. I am almost 27. I don't want to live the rest of my life feeling the way I do about myself today.

I am hoping threads like these will help keep me focused on the big (but getting smaller!) picture, and that I can maintain my motivation. Thanks in advance for all the help!

just keep focused like you're doing and you should really be successful. you're doing awesome.