Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    18 posts left on this page. Robin I hope it picks up soon you tonight so the roll over can happen tonight.

Today, I had a great swim and roughly completed 800 meters. I have the worse luck counting laps while swimming. I love the ability to mix up the strokes to keep track of the sets. I swim fly, breast and back then repeat. It takes about 5 minutes to complete one set with a few breaks between laps.

Looks like everyone is busy this week so I hope it was health and productive weekend for everyone.

Suzee- We all have an off day or two then we just pick up and start over. This a journey and we learn from our mistakes. There are times when I bodies tell us what it needs. Great attitude so keep it up.
  • Lauriek70
    Options
    This poem was posted by Swim the Butterfly on her news feed and I would like to share it with you.

Promise Yourself ***************************

To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
    To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet.

To make all your friends feel that there is something in them
    To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.

To think only the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.
    To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.

To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
    To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.

To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
    To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

To think well of yourself and to proclaim this fact to the world, not in loud words but great deeds.
    To live in faith that the whole world is on your side so long as you are true to the best that is in you.
  • Lauriek70
    Options
    Tammy- I usually only wear my HRM when I am doing the exercise to get an accurate count of calories. However, you should know that after raising your heart rate for a period of time you will continue to burn calories after you are done exercising.

Check out these article for additional information.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/536929-do-you-still-burn-fat-after-you-work-out/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/429708-how-long-does-your-body-burn-calories-for-after-a-workout/

For those of you starting out here is a link that talks about how long it takes to see changes in our bodies.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/430320-how-fast-will-exercising-change-my-body/

This article was very informative about things you should know about working out. It has some really good thought and suggestions for taking action. Great info for those starting out or needing a reminder.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/07/03/10-things-trainers-wish-knew-about-your-workout/

Hope you enjoy the articles. I have found them all to be relevant and worth the time to find and read.
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    HI EVERYONE!!!!!

I have been MIA from the boards, but still going strong with my weight loss. To give everyone an update, I have been doing very well and am currently at 38.8 pounds lost and they are NEVER coming back. I put myself to a new challenge to hit 60 lbs gone by the time my birthday rolls around on July 26th. I have dropped 2 dress sizes now and just went shopping today. I now am a size 20. I was a 24 when I started, probably pushing a 26, but refused to buy them. Things couldn't be better on that home front!

I have a special guy in my life that is super supportive and thinks I look great. I told him I want cant wait to look hot. He told me I already am, I will just weigh less. GOD BLESS HIS LIL HEART!

I also got a laptop this weekend (finally! after my dell crashed on me), so I plan on being here more often for all the support that you give :) Oh how I have missed my biggest losers :D

Anywho, I'm Rachael, 29 from NJ. I'm a single mom to 9 year old fraternal twins who keep me own my toes everyday. You'd think I'd be thin lol I'm a social worker in Atlantic City and surely don't get paid enough HAHA I started MFP on Jan 3, 2013 and have been going strong with a massive support system behind me :) Sometimes they are in front of me, helping to keep me away from all the junk!

I forgot to mention that I did m very first 7k run in the beginning of the month. It was on the boardwalk and I lightly jogged 3.6 miles of it. I was extremely proud of myself. I have now signed up for a 5k run or dye in Philly in June, the 5k color run in Englishtown, NJ in August and I will be signing up for the 5k that is back in Atlantic City. I'm thinking these will keep me busy and defin. motivated. I'm looking into the electric run, but that's in the middle of summer at night in Philly. These races are sure becoming expensive, but its $ well spent. I have even convinced my younger and much thinner sister to do them with me. I cant wait!

I hope everyone has been doing well and I hope to catch up real soon on everyone's progress.

XOXO

Rachael
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Well, its taking about everything that's in me to keep from just sitting here and crying! My left knee has just about completely given out on me today. I went on a long walk today with one of my daughters. Fortunately she had her cell phone, because we had to call DH to come and get me before I could get home. It is really swollen and extremely painful. SIL was here. He's a PT assistant. He worked on it a little bit and suggested that I keep it elevated with ice on it. I've had to pull the cane out. We had to drive to Grandson's birthday party this evening, 50 miles one way, so I am really in pain now. I need to get off the computer and get the ice going. I have been enjoying my walks so much. This is VERY discouraging.
    On a lighter note, my new clothes really brought attention to the weight that I have lost. I got lots of compliments at church.
    Hope you have all had a good weekend. Kaye
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Ty all for the feedback on the hrm. I only wear it when I am exercising but was just worried it was counting extra cause it would still go up slowly if I literally stood still and did nothing. I didnt go to the gym today but it is the only day this week I missed. I spent the day cleaning house and de-cluttering. We are going to have a big family yard sale next month so I am starting to sort through things. I tried on all the pants I had stashed everywhere and got rid of all of them that were getting lose and to comfy. I dont want my clothes to be to comfortable. I need that snugness to keep me motivated:tongue:
    Kaye I am so sorry you are hurting. I hope you are able to find some relief with icing it.
    Laurie I loved the poem. Very inspirational.
    Sunday share: My name is Tammy and I am a wife and mother of three. My kids are in the process of moving out and starting their own lives so I am finally focusing more on myself. My husband works in alaska and we live in washington so he is gone 2 out of every 3 months. It seems to work for us since we will be celebrating our 21 anniversary this year. I started this journey in aug of 2012 and pretty happy with the progress I have made so far. I just started exercising really consistently the last month or so and am finally learning to really enjoy it. I promise you if I can do it anyone can. Exercise has always been a dirty word in my life until recently:laugh:
    Well I hope everyone had a great weekend and starts strong tomorrow morning.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    FOR NEWBIES ....................................PLEASE NOTE................................................................

- PLEASE NOTE - soon, we will soon come to the end of this current thread - every 20 pages, or 500 posts - we start a new Thread - you will see at the bottom IN the last post on page 20 a sentence like this :

(<Continued at this topic >) and the words “this topic” will be in blue.

Click on that phrase and it will take you to the first post on our new page One.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart:

FOR NEWBIES ....................................PLEASE NOTE................................................................

- PLEASE NOTE - soon, we will soon come to the end of this current thread - every 20 pages, or 500 posts - we start a new Thread - you will see at the bottom IN the last post on page 20 a sentence like this :

Click on that phrase and it will take you to the first post on our new page One.

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm back from Lake Geneva and finally have some down time to post and do personals.

@laurie--thanks for all of those article links and the poem. :smile: I wish I knew how to swim--I mean all of the different strokes. I can swim to save my life, but I've never been good at or enjoyed swimming laps. My gym has an indoor pool, but I never use it b/c I really only like to "play" in outdoor pools.

@mel--what a great idea to switch up the shepherd's pie. I absolutely love salmon--just had a salmon wrap when I went out to dinner last night.

@erienne--I would alternate insanity and c25k. You really should take days off in between running to let you runner's muscles heal until they are sufficiently built up. Even seasoned runners who typically run everyday, will take the day off before a race b/c they know they will have a faster time if their legs have a rest day. So do insanity on your off days from c25k--even if it uses your leg muscles, it's not the same as running.

@susancanbe--I'm like you at the gym--I push myself until I'm literally dripping with sweat. It's funny b/c when I do the stationary bike, I'm leaning over my legs and the thighs of my workout pants get soaked from all of the sweat dripping on them (eww), but I figure why bother if I'm not going to give it my all. I sometimes see other people just kind of going through the motions--on the one hand I think "It's great they are doing something" but I'm also kind of baffled by it. I would never get dressed and drag my butt to the gym to NOT break a sweat. :laugh: Oh, and love your new profile pic. :smile:

@suzee--yes, tomorrow is a new day! :flowerforyou:

@sara--I think focusing on maintenance while your traveling and such is a good plan. I know when I'm feeling particularly stressed or harried, it really takes the pressure off to decide to just maintain. As robin, I've also been wondering how the new home situation is going for your family.

@susan--I also wish the weight would come off more quickly, but you are right about doing it in a way that will result in long-term success. Patience, Grasshopper.

@tina--sounds like a productive day!

@kaye--wonderful NSVs with the gardening and the clothing!

@robin--glad the car thing worked out. I also keep my cars until they are no longer worth fixing--my current one is 10 years old and has just under 80K miles. I have to keep it one more year in order to swing the Zurich trip, but my hope is to keep it 2-3 more years <knocks on wood>.

@kelley--I never listen to music when I work out, but I sometimes watch TV. It's weird b/c some days it makes time go faster while i"m on the treadmill, but other days I do better if I just focus on my running. No real rhyme or reason to it. Sounds like you are doing really well with the weight loss--I'm kind of stalled in that area, but I'm very focused on my running for the 8K in 2 weeks, so not too concerned with the scale right now.

I know I'm missing some folks. but I need to finish this post and hit the hay.

Saturday Success:
    I ran 4 miles in 44 minutes. I made fairly good choices while eating out all weekend--fish tacos friday night, salmon wrap on saturday night (and only ate half with ranch on the side), grilled chicken sandwich for lunch today (again, only ate half). I didn't try to log all of the food this weekend, but I'm certain I came within goal. In addition to the gym yesterday, this morning my friend and I walked about 4 miles around her golf course community--it was very hilly!--then walked another mile or so around town this afternoon, and when I got home I walked gunner another mile this evening. My. Legs. Are. Sore.

Sunday Share:
    Quickly for the newlings--I'm Karen! I'm 43, married with one fur-baby. I teach HS English in the suburbs of Chicago. Started this about 2 years ago and since have fallen in love with running. I joined Robin's thread in July of 2011, and credit her and the many wonderful people of this group with helping me stay committed to my healthier lifestyle.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    Lin - saluting you I did 5 minutes of Step - Ups.

Susan - I'm glad to hear your mental game is coming together finally. I understand switching jobs can throw you for a loop. Part of that mental game is to prepare a travel pack of OK snacks for trips that you keep replenished between trips so its ready to go, and you don't have to shop for it last minute. Just brainstormin....

Laurie - awesome your friend climbed with you. I can believe that it costs your muscles so much energy that you can't climb 2 days in a row - your overall strenght must be amazing! Kudos.

Laurie - also really like the poem. says so much to how I feel.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    Lin - after reading Lauries articles, I found one applicable to your weight-bearing goals.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/356813-how-women-lift-weights-to-lose-weight/?utm_source=livestrong_opar&utm_medium=5
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    :heart:

• RobinsEgg
    Options
    :heart: :heart:

• RobinsEgg
    Options

• RobinsEgg
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • RobinsEgg
    Options

• RobinsEgg
    Options

• RobinsEgg
    Options

• RobinsEgg
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Welcome to our Thread!

GOALS and IDEAS for daily posts (Not mandatory)

Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)

Tuesday - Goals (do you have any Goals you want to update us?)

Wednesday - Wishes (what do you wish? It can be weight related or not, can be realistic or not)

Thursday - Truth (got anything you need to fess up to or get off your chest?)

Friday - Fitness (what are you doing to get fit? How are you preparing for weekend eating?

Saturday - Success (what have you accomplished; focus on the positive of the week, NSV=non scale victories)

Sunday - Sharing (tell us a little about yourself....update your personal life)

Everyone - Here's the APRIL CHALLENGE -..... per our member, Shrinkrapt.

I nominate an "April Fool" challenge. As in, whenever you have an anxiety/comfort food craving, substitute a non-food comfort. Preferably cheap and easy to do. In essence, you fool your brain into accepting something else to manage stress. (And to be honest, it's no joke, just straight-up cognitive-behavior therapy.)

I think this will be a great Challenge. For Newbies - this challenge just means that you pick something out for yourself to substitute for your food cravings. You can adapt this throughout the month until you sucessfully settle on something that works! Its all about experimenting and finding out what works for you!