Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Mel - if you change your name - be sure and tell us who you are when you come back!
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Tina~I think you are doing great. Remember that you’ve been through a major life change, deciding to return to school – it’s hard to juggle everything. So if you maintained through this, I think that’s amazing! I’m sorry you feel down lately, but you should be so proud of yourself with how hard you’ve been working. Now that you have a break for a few weeks, it’s a great tome to re-commit and find that motivation again. You can do this!

@Mel~I’m not very inventive with user names, mine is just my initials. LOL Definitely try roasting the beets, the flavor is completely different – you can find all kinds of recipes on line – I frequent www.allrecipes.com for ideas…

Welcome, Sasha!

Friday Fitness~Well, we all know I’ve been benched all week. I can attest to the fact that it has definitely affected my frame of mind, I’m just a person that needs that outlet and it’s been hard. I’ll be glad to return to the gym tomorrow – albeit, I need to slow down and not push myself so hard. Lots on tap for the weekend – running around today after work, then shopping for vacation tomorrow, Sunday I will probably get started on packing (wonder how Zoe is going to feel about that).
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Finally Friday woo hoo. Thats for all the weekday workers out there :bigsmile: I had a great day. Went to the gym came home cleaned up and then went and ran some errands. I went into the salon planning on getting my bangs trimmed and came out trimmed and colored and looking fabulous. A great way to spend my babysitting money:happy: My workout buddy invited me to go to a kickboxing class with her tomorrow but I just dont know. I already have to do my strength work and the class is at 8 in the morning. I am not sure I am quite in a workout kinda place yet at that time. I told her I would let her know in the morning after I woke up and saw how I was feeling. Anyway I have to go find some food since I have been going all day and still have most of my calories for the day left. Have a great night everyone :heart: :heart:
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    melancholy you could just change it to Mel since that's what everyone calls you :laugh:

Toots - great excerpt - she had a smile like a coat hanger shoved in her mouth upside down - I LOLLED!

• Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!

I am starting today to lose weight again, which means no more eating over my calories and not doing strength training!

I went to Amazon to buy Into Darkness Peering (Soulguard Series) but could only find the kindle edition, is there a hard cover or paperback? Amy likes real books but she does have an ipad which I think you can get a kindle app for the ipad but I'm not sure
    Here is to everyone having a fun and healthy weekend!:drinker:

Quote of the day:- “Progress is impossible without change and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” ~George Bernard Shaw

Tom
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the great ideas on a new username. I will see what mfp will allow me to use and Robin, for sure I'll let you know who I am. I'm probably going to try and keep Mel if I can.
    Sat Success: well, I don't feel all that successful after my binge last night. I don't know what happened after a day of really healthy eating, I felt starved! I ate crackers, and toast with almond butter. It was too late to log calories, so I just hope it wasn't a terrible amount. Well, even if it was, I'm back on track this morning. AND going grocery shopping again to make sure I have healthy food on hand. I guess my success is that I'm in a better mindset as before I would have given up. Nope, not gonna happen this time
    ps this morning I looked at the calorie count on the almond butter...it's ridiculously high! Now, not sure why I bought it. I thought it was healthy eating.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    My new name is 'Melwillbeheal' I'm laughing my head off!
  • kah68
    Options
    Good Morning.

@Tom~Yes, you can get the Kindle reader app for the iPad - its free. :bigsmile: I like real books too, I have a Kindle e-reader but find myself buying the real thing, somehow the Kindle doesn't have that "new book smell." :laugh:

@Mel~Did you eat enough protein yesterday? I have found when I don't have enough protein or ate too many carbs throughout the day it leaves me starved and craving carbs. The almond butter and toast was a good choice tho.

Thought I better check in early, its going to be a crazy day. Need to get to the gym first thing to workout for the first time in a week - yay!!! :love: Then I'm off to look for some capris and a few shirts for vacation - plus other vacation items and a trip to PetSmart so my pet sitter has everything she needs while I'm gone.

We hit 90 yesterday, the same is expected all weekend - summer has finally arrived!!! :tongue: Of course, I'll be complaining in a month when its in the 100s...

Enjoy your Saturday!
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, I can already tell that this is going to be a rough day. I started out at the volunteer firefighters' community breakfast. They do it every year to pay for the Fourth of July fireworks show. I passed on the hash browns, ate only one sausage, one pancake and 2 eggs. I'm already at 625! That's a big chunk of 1200. I think that I will pass altogether on sausage from now on!
    Just to complicate things, we are going to a wedding reception this evening that is out of town, so we'll be eating out. :cry: I'm just hoping that I can keep it within maintenance, although I'm not sure what that is. Is that what TDEE measures? Mine was 1758.
    Have a good weekend. Mine aren't always this challenging, but I'll make it through.
    Kaye
  • tootsanderson
    Options
    I went to Amazon to buy Into Darkness Peering (Soulguard Series) but could only find the kindle edition, is there a hard cover or paperback? Amy likes real books but she does have an ipad which I think you can get a kindle app for the ipad but I'm not sure

at the moment it isn't out in paper yet. eventually it will be, but yeah, there's an app for that ;) i've always wanted to say that haha.
    @Tom~Yes, you can get the Kindle reader app for the iPad - its free. :bigsmile: I like real books too, I have a Kindle e-reader but find myself buying the real thing, somehow the Kindle doesn't have that "new book smell." :laugh:

i'll tell you, i got a kindle for something, christmas maybe, and i wasn't sure what i would do with it. i didn't think i would like it. i'm VERY much the bibliophile. we literally have a library in our house. the room was built to be an office but we use it as a genuine article library. i was pretty sure kindle would do nothing for me. but i have to say, i love it. i do a lot of my reading that way now. i think it's the fact i've got over a thousand books on there and it takes up the space of one paperback.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! :flowerforyou:

@toots--congrats on the book release!! :drinker:

@kaye--your maintenance calories is whatever your allowance is plus the deficit you are set at--for example, if you've set MFP at 2 lbs/week loss that means you're at 1000 calories/day deficit, so your maintenance would be 1200 +1000 = 2200. However, it's possible your maintenance is lower due to MFP's minimum of 1200/day, in which case, yes, you could use your TDEE as maintenance.

@kelley--have fun at the gym and shopping! I also need to look for some new capris to fulfill my May Challenge goal.

@mel--love the new, more positive name! :flowerforyou:

@tom--I need to join you with the "no more eating over my calories and not doing strength training!" :blushing:

@tammy--glad you are doing so well. I'm not much of a "morning" person either when it comes to working out, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

@robin--my voice is back and I seem to be past the worst of the sinus infection. It wasn't so bad on Thursday b/c it was my seniors' last day, so they were playing hangman while I checked in books, etc. And in my other classes they were writing journals so I barely had to talk to them.

@tina--sorry you've gained back some of your loss, but you're still in a better place than where you started this journey. As kelley said, you've gone through a big life change which is very stressful, so don't beat yourself up about the gain. It sounds like you are on the right path and I bet anything it'll be a lot easier to lose it this time around b/c you already KNOW you can do it! :wink:

@sasha--Welcome! I love your username b/c I am a big Beyonce fan. I love her music and talent, but I also look up to her as a healthy example of what a woman should look like. She's gorgeous and fit, but not the ridiculous "skinny" you see on most stars these days.

Saturday Success:
    I honestly can't think of anything right now except that I haven't quit despite a really trough couple of weeks. I went out to eat the past few days, and though I know I went over, I didn't make horrible choices. I didn't log b/c I just haven't had time and I know it won't be accurate due to the restaurant foods. Today, I'm back to logging every bite and, like Tom, I need to get back to strength training as well. I'm going to grade and grocery shop this afternoon, then I will take gunner for a nice run/walk and probably do some gardening as well.

Tomorrow I will see my niece. The Budweiser Clydesdales will be in my parents neighborhood and my sister and bil will bring Violet to see them.

Grading Goals:
    1. 30/57 Hardy poem journals
    2. x/16 !2 Angry Men essays
    3. x/16 Diction analyses
    4. x/57 TTTC Journals
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    Kah, I don't think I did eat enough protein in the day and am going to make sure I have more protein in the fridge from now on.
    Kaye. I allow myself around 1500 cals a day without doing any exercise. I've found I can't manage on 1200 cals. as I'm way too hungry. I've lost 5 lbs. in the last month....slow weight loss, but I'm finally starting to lose. When I start adding more aggressive exercise, then I'll probably up my calories. I know that I won't be successful at this if I feel hungry or deprived.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hi guys--just wanted to update a success in that I've completed one set of journals--woohoo! :drinker:

Now I'm on my way to the grocery store--I need to stock up on healthy, high-protein food for the week!

@mel--I also need to up my protein intake--too little, and I'm an eating machine! :grumble:

@tracy--I think it was you who was asking about calorie goals. I have done some very short stints at 1200 calories/day, but that was always WITH eating back my exercise calories. That only worked for me the first summer when I still had LOTS of weight to lose and could work out for a couple of hours each day to earn back many calories. As I've neared my goal weight, 1200 calories just isn't enough--even last summer my body refused to give up any lbs on that low of an intake (again, this was while eating back 500-1000 exercise calories/day). At my current weight (180-190) I've been most successful eating around 1500 calories/day. I'm trying to get back on track with that amount to drop the 10-ish lbs. I gained quitting smoking. I've never tried TDEE b/c my exercise is so up and down from day to day during the school year. However, when I calculate my TDEE -20% (without any exercise) it almost perfectly matches MFP's calculations for -1 lb/week, so I've seen no reason to switch.

Just to throw it out there--there's another site called fat2fitradio.com that prescribes to a completely different perspective. They suggest calculating what you would need to eat to maintain your GOAL weight and just eating at that calorie level (presumably forever). Finally, there's a method called "zig-zagging" that has you eat different amounts daily with an overall deficit for the week. I've tried it, and it works really well for me, but I have a math aversion so it sometimes gives me a headache to try to keep track for the week. There are lots of sites to calculate those calorie amounts for you as well; if you google "zig-zag calories" you'll find them.

Grading Goals:
    1. 57/57 Hardy poem journals DONE!!
    2. x/16 !2 Angry Men essays
    3. x/16 Diction analyses
    4. x/57 TTTC Journals
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    FYI--I changed my profile pic b/c I love what this one says. I wanted to post it in the thread, but I don't have a photo-sharing account and don't really want to set one up just for this.

If you click on it and go to my home page, I think it's clear enough to read. :smile:
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Well, this week was a complete flop as far as my working out went. Zip, Zilch, Nada. But I stayed on course for calories so at least I feel good about that. Today was a basketball game for my daughter, saxophone recital for my daughter, shopping and getting ready to head out on a double date with my husband, sister and her boyfriend!! Michael doesn't have Friday or Saturday nights off very often so it's going to be a real treat. Then tomorrow, my aunt and uncle are going to be in town and we will have lunch with them and enjoy their company in the afternoon. But I plan on taking my son to the gym with me in the late afternoon to start my week on a good note.

Saturday Sucess...a non relative commented that it looks like I've lost weight. :bigsmile:

Just a few personals and then I'll be better next week with them. :blushing:

@RobinsEgg - what a great way to break through that plateau -- 2.5 pounds!!
    @tina -- be proud that you are still ahead of the game...school brings a lot of stress and you did that wonderfully. Just time to love yourself, forgive yourself for the slip and get back at it
    @toots -- Congrats on the book!

I'm a reader and love my Kindle. I love the fact that I can slip it in my purse and have several books with me at any given moment. My kids love it too as I can load a few books on them so they don't get bored on a car trip (and it doesn't wreck a book or get lost on the road).
  • kah68
    Options
    Here is the caption from Karen's current profile pic:

Here’s to us.
    Here’s to ordering a salad when you really want a burger.
    To making an *kitten* out of ourselves in combat cardio class.
    To drinking more water than seems possible.
    To going five more minutes on the elliptical.
    To working out twice as much as your skinny roommate.
    To saying “screw you” to the old you.
    To falling in love with the you that you really are, the you that you want to become.
    To looking in the mirror and not seeing any change, throwing on your running shoes and hitting the gym anyway.
    Here’s to carrots, and shin splints, and sweat shirts, and perseverance, and sore muscles, and stinky socks, and 7am conditioning class, and falling down, and getting back up tomorrow and doing it all again.
  • kah68
    Options
    Had an awesome workout at the gym today, it felt so good! I found myself pushing pretty hard so had to back off a few times and turn on some slower music on Pandora. :wink: Afterwards I checked at the spa on my way out and they had an opening for a pedicure, so treated myself to that today as well. Then shopping - found a great sale and got some denim capris that were essentially BOGO free. I also bought a smaller size than the jeans I bought a few weeks ago - I love that! :bigsmile:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @kelley--thanks for posting the text from my pic. I thought about doing it, but was too lazy to do so. :laugh: Good job slowing it down at the gym--sometimes that's hard to do. Also glad you found some capris--on sale AND in a smaller size! That's a double bonus! :drinker:

@tracy--have fun on your double date! :flowerforyou:

AFM--I spent most of the day doing laundry and about a half hour ago, my husband said "You didn't wash the shirt I had hanging on that chair, did you?" When I responded that, yes I had, he said,"Oh, all of the Powerball tickets were in the pocket." :noway: The shirt hadn't gone in the dryer yet, but husband claims they are ruined. I still managed to separate them and have them laid out drying. You can still read the numbers, but he said if the bar code isn't readable, they are no good. The bar codes are still intact on all of them, so maybe... I'm not going to worry about it too much until they draw the numbers later and we see if they even hit any of the numbers.

Also, kelley's discussion of trying to hold herself back at the gym reminded me of something that happened this week--kind of an NSV. I was on the stationary bike at the gym and a man came and got on the one 2 over from me. He made some sort of friendly comment, and I reciprocated but went right back to cycling. Then a young girl got on the bike in between us. He made small talk with her for a few minutes (she was cooling down after her run, so going slow enough to talk). About 10 minutes later she finished and he said something like "Aw, are you done already--I was racing you." She said yes, and he made some comment about how impossible it would be to keep up with me b/c I was going so fast. She said "Yeah, I wouldn't want to race her!"--she was a 20 year old very fit girl, so that was a great compliment. I just smiled and kept going, but it made me feel good that they had noticed how hard I was working. :happy:

Grading Goals:
    1. x/16 12 Angry Men essays
    2. x/16 Diction analyses
    3. x/57 TTTC Journals
  • tootsanderson
    Options
    @toots -- Congrats on the book!

I'm a reader and love my Kindle. I love the fact that I can slip it in my purse and have several books with me at any given moment. My kids love it too as I can load a few books on them so they don't get bored on a car trip (and it doesn't wreck a book or get lost on the road).

thanks!

i do the same with my kids. kindle free time, baby. my daughter will be busy for endless hours reading books and playing games.
  • mockingbird204
    Options
    I saw this thread, and decided to start checking in!

Saturday - Success (what have you accomplished; focus on the positive of the week, NSV=non scale victories)

I found two new workouts this week that I enjoy doing with two different friends. One was Just Dance on the Wii. Whew! 700 calories in one session! The other workout was playing on the playground near a friend's house. 1 hour of swinging is 200 easy calories burned.

Another positive: I have a sundress that looked terrible on me last year. I put it on yesterday and felt so incredibly confident and pretty. Whoot!