Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yawn. . . another long day of travel. Vegas to Minneapolis, but these early flights and time differences are wiping me out. I did have a nice lunch with an old friend/supplier during my Arby's days. We had a very nice visit and burned our lunch calories walking the Mall of America. I could do some serious damage in that mall and I didn't spend a dime - awesome NSV!! I then was picked up by a new supplier and drove out to the burbs. We had dinner with some guys from the plant and now just catching up in my hotel. A busy day tomorrow with the plant visit and drive to Sioux Falls. Another plant Wednesday, but back home that night - thank goodness!!

I did hear from Cyrus this morning as he heads off to church sleep away camp. He sounds like he's having a blast and was just 2 hours into the trip. So happy for him, but I miss him already!!!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    I've had a hard time logging on all day, and finally now, my home feed is down but every other thing is working. Glad everyone is doing well. Pictures are great Tom. My you hid your weight well in the pictures and I admire the quite distinquished white head of hair and beard halo effect in the snow - !

Skinny - when do you leave?and when do you return - and are you going to communicate while gone? Sorry I forgot! I promise I'll write it down this time!

tih - glad you're back up on the wagon ! Been there myself, have the knee scars so deep I can glide over cobblestones now :wink:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @robin--I leave next Monday the 15th and return on Friday the 26th. I will have internet access at least part of the time while staying with my friends in Zurich, so I will probably pop in once or twice. However, I have no plans to try to log food or exercise--just going to take a break from that and pick it back up when I return.

My favorite cyclist, Christian Vandevelde (a Chicagoan) had to abandon the race a couple of days ago. My plan was to wear either my Cubs or Blackhawks shirt to honor him while spectating. Since he's no longer in it, that won't work. Now I'm not sure what to wear--I have lots of favorites from different teams and different countries. Do I wear something green to show support for the sprinters? Do I still wear something "American" to support the American riders and teams? Do I wear orange to support those rebel Basques on team Euskatel? I had planned to buy a real racing jersey while out there, so I guess I will have to see what's available and make my choice once I'm there.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    i got a HRM for christmas last year but i couldn't get it to work no matter how hard i tried. i guess i'll just stick to MFP's inaccurate calories.

Thanks toots--it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who can't get mine to work. :tongue:

@tom--great pictures!! thanks for sharing!

i gave it to my husband to see if he could get it working and he just stole it from me
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Today was a good day. I went for out patient PT this morning. I was able to get a full rotation on the exercise bicycle, and my flex is now 127*, just as good as the one I had done in Oct. This afternoon I had an appointment with the orthopedic dr. He couldn't quit smiling. He says what I have accomplished thus far is incredible. This evening I got in a 50 minute walk.
    Welcome to all the newlings. You will find lots of love and support here if you will come and post often. I have lost all of my weight (started the first of Oct, 2012) just using the databases for food and exercise on MFP. My budget doesn't allow for gadgets, and my small town doesn't allow for gym memberships. I log all of my food, try to keep about 1200 calories, and eat back very few of my exercise calories. There was a discussion a few days ago about the mental aspects of losing weight. I concur whole heartedly. You have to be into it mentally. It is just too hard if you aren't. What you eat is far more important than the exercise you do to the overall success of losing weight. You can lose weight with very little exercise, but you can't lose weight if you just exercise and don't limit your food intake.
    Tom, I grew up in Ashton, ID, less than 80 miles from West Yellowstone, MT. We went to Yellowstone every summer. I love that place!
    Have a great evening. Kaye
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Thanks Skinnyjeansbound. Nice to know I'm not alone. When I first got my HRM it was a little intimidating but trial and error I finally got it programmed. This is one thing that is a result of my marriage. I came from a family that thinks reading directions is for wimps. But my eagle scout hubby always reads directions and he is slowly breaking me of the habit of just flying by the seat of my pants. I actually read the directions several times before I figured my HRM out. :noway:
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

MFP sure was a mess yesterday afternoon, looks like they have it fixed though – newsfeed is back this morning!

Not sure if I mentioned it or not, but I finally found Zoe a cat tree over the weekend – I have never seen a cat so excited, she loves that thing. It took her a little while to figure it out and trust her jumping abilities, but now she is having so much fun with it. For those that are new, after losing both of my senior cats last year I adopted a Maine Coon kitten in December – she is 8 months old now and is crazy full of energy, but so lovable!

@Tom~Looks like you have a great trip planned. Great pics, I’ve been to most of the national parks – when I was a kid we spent our summer vacations traveling the U.S. , I haven’t been to Arches National Park in years – it’s beautiful there. Enjoy your vacation!

@Tracy~It happens to the best of us, we fall off that wagon but luckily we have a pretty good grasp and can hoist ourselves back up. All we can do it take this one day (or one meal) at a time.

@Sherrie~Its possible you didn’t have enough rest days from running before your race, still awesome though. Hooray for the NSV! :flowerforyou:

@Susan~So glad Cyrus is having a blast at his first sleep away camp. Mall of America would be a VERY dangerous place for me to visit! :laugh:

@Karen~I’m so excited for you, your trip is right around the corner. I’d like to be a stowaway in your luggage! :wink: I loved my trip to Germany, so know you are going to love Switzerland. While there I didn’t think about food, I got in a TON of walking touring as many castles that I could and when I got home I was pleasantly surprised to find I had lost 9#. Have fun and take tons of pics!

@Kaye~You are recovering so well from this surgery, so glad to hear your surgeon is pleased with your progress as well!

@Beth~Love the new pic!

Welcome to Kelly, Joan and Olasmiles. Like so many have said, you have found the best and most supportive thread on MFP. Like many have said also, weight loss is about mentality – you have to want it bad enough and you have to want to make the sacrifices to get you where you want to be. We all fall of that wagon from time to time, but we always get back on and trudge through whatever we may be going through. All of us have had our ups and downs, but we all come back to this thread because we know there is a virtual shoulder waiting to unload on with no questions asked. So my advice is to log every BLT (bite, lick and taste), find an exercise that you enjoy and will do, and lastly check in on this thread daily. You’ll be glad you did.

I use a HRM to measure my expended calories. I feel like it’s more accurate than what MFP or the machines at the gym say. It’s been trial and error, I’ve had three – my first was a Polar FT7, but I could never get it to work right. I gave it to a friend and it works great for her – go figure! :huh: After that I upgraded to a Polar RS300X, it worked great and I loved that I could wear it in the pool but when I started running and zone training I found I needed something a bit more fancy so upgraded earlier this year to a Garmin Forerunner 210 which I absolutely love! I thought about selling my Polar RS300X but I can’t wear the Garmin in the pool, so still use the Polar when I swim. I think HRM can be a bit pernickety, with the chest strap models (which both of mine are), you have to get it placed just right. If interested in a Fitbit, like Karen (skinny) suggested it isn’t a HRM but keeps track of steps taken, floors climbed, miles traveled, and calories expended throughout the day. The One and the Flex also monitor your sleep patterns, the Zip only monitors steps. I have a Fitbit One and love it also.

Tuesday Goals~Well, it appears I’ve been under on calories by 400 on Sunday and 600 yesterday so its my goal today to get closer to my goal or I’ll get a lecture from my trainer tomorrow. Otherwise, its business as usual around here.

Exercise Goals:
    Sunday~Trainer DONE! :bigsmile:
    Monday~Rest Day Done! :bigsmile:
    Tuesday~HIIT at gym
    Wednesday~Trainer
    Thursday~Arc Trainer at Gym
    Friday~Rest Day
    Saturday~HIIT at gym

Have a super day and stay cool! Is hot & humid everywhere so make sure you drink that water! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    I'm using FLICKR to post my pictures to. If I knew how to post from there to here, well I'd do it. Since I don't here's a link to a set of 3 pictures of my recent Craig's List finds of primitives that I got for free. I hung most of them on my deck wall for decoration.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98378771@N03/sets/72157634560900135/

Its been hot and humid and I have been unmotivated - and I have gone a little over calories most of the last 5 days. Not proud of myself at all. Going to light a fire under my tail today and clean house - that should burn some calories. TIme to wash sheets and blankets and going to try that trick where you pin the corners of the fitted sheet with safety pins so it doesn't catch all the other clothes in its pockets and come out a wrinkled mess! Also have to hit the grocery store and the hardware store.

Also ordered a hand weight set - a 40 lb. set from Walmart. Should come by next Monday.
  • keydrap
    keydrap Posts: 1
    Options
    just joing this thread. just had baby 2 months ago. need to lose half body weight. don't know where to start. any suggestions of where to start with calories? how many to eat?
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I'm using FLICKR to post my pictures to. If I knew how to post from there to here, well I'd do it. Since I don't here's a link to a set of 3 pictures of my recent Craig's List finds of primitives that I got for free. I hung most of them on my deck wall for decoration.
    9249337010_f81ddd1e74.jpg
    3 by ellengraham1, on Flickr
    9246551829_443cb35e9a.jpg
    2 by ellengraham1, on Flickr
    9246547771_73653e5a90.jpg
    1 Primitives from CL find by ellengraham1, on Flickr
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I haven't been around much and I'm sorry! Things have been busy! I had 2 days left of 30DS before my trip, and was unable to get them in. But that is ok. I received my "Rockin Body by Shaun T" new DVD set and will be starting that when I get home from visiting my best friend!
    I leave in just a few hours and will be back on Sunday. So Shaun T and I have a date on Monday morning at 6am!
    I probably wont be on much this week, so have a wonderful week everyone!!

Tina
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    thanks MowMow!
  • joandue
    joandue Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So, I use the food tracker daily and I enter in the exercise that I do, but I'm beginning to think that the calories they tell you you burn is not accurate. It's seem like alot. Does any else use this, or am I just complete brain dazzled :)

@Kelly, welcome. I'm new here too, just joined last week and 100 to loose also.
    \

Joandue - the amount of calories that MFP tells you to eat back is strictly your choice whether to eat back or not. I think its kind of high too. I think some other people will weigh in on this issue too. If you want to lose more weight, don't eat back your exercise calories, unless the hungry monster inside you compels you to do so.

Robin - thanks for the advice... ...I don't think I'll record exercise.... might forget one day and think I have 400 calories to eat :). Been here a week, weigh in tonight....Wish me luck
  • Helenavee42
    Helenavee42 Posts: 175
    Options
    Ok I am back. I have been too upset to do anything. I haven't been eating much so I've dropped some weight from that. I did try to eat but every time I would just start feeling sick. I haven't gone to the gym because I just feel like crap. Everyone says it gets easier but the only thing getting easier is pretending to be ok. So that is enough sadness. Oh for those that might wonder what will happen to Deputy, he will be staying with me. I told John he still needs to see him and he agreed and wants to help pay for his food and what not.

Tuesday goal: Get to the gym!

Have a good day.
    Helena
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Tuesday Goals:

July Challenge

1 loose 4 pounds, on track
    2 drink 7-8 glasses of water per day - check
    3 try a new menu - DH wants to try something new tonight... Spaghetti squash Chicken Marsala...or something like that.... we'll see how that goes.

personal goal to get my thyroid meds regulated for the rest of the month... had a major screw up the last week because the pharmacy sent a new brand, with tiny print which I miss read.... :frown:
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    keydrap Welcome. Set your current weight, your goal weight, and the weekly goal in MFP. There daily calorie intake suggestion has worked really well for me. You don't need to do anything fancy. There is no magic bullet. The "trick" is to eat less calories than you use everyday. The weight will follow. It can be tough after having a baby, (I had 7), so just work back into normal activity as you are comfortable. The food intake is the key. Come here and post often. We are always here for you.
    Kaye
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    I was reading the posts and this sounds like the support group/forum I need in my life. All the posts seem so motivating. A little about me, I'm a 44 year old mother of a very active 8 year old boy, recently divorced (1 year 2 months since I was walked out on) and I've decided to finally (I guess 36 years of struggling with my weight is enough) do all I can to lose the weight and get healthy for myself and for my son. Of course, doing all this for the "Damn, You Got HOT!" isn't a bad thing either. I know I hide it well but I have between 112 and 128 pounds to lose (more than 128 lbs and I'll look anorexic even if it's in the healthy range). About 1 month ago, my roommate and I decided to cut wheat out of our diets on the suspicion that we're sensitive to it. It was one of the best things I could've done. I've found my energy again. I'm not suffering from as many sinus issues (headaches, allergies, stuffiness) even with a rather large fire burning nearby (praying they get it under control soon) and I don't have that "foggy brain" I used to have. I did try something with wheat about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago (just before signing up with MFP) and felt horrible the next day, nothing serious but a lot of the abovementioned things came back (like sinus headache, lethargic, foggy brain). So I'm off wheat permanently. I'm still trying to get back into the groove with exercise and my roommate has inspired me to do a lot of these themed 5k fun runs for charity (like the Bubble Run which was through colored bubble foam). I want to become a runner and really be able to tackle the Dirty Girl Mud Run with all it's obstacles in February next year. So if anybody has experienced the same sore knees from too much weight on their frames and found exercises that might alleviate it until I drop more pounds, I'd greatly appreciate if you could pass it along. I'm excited about MFP as I've lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks (a nice slow amount that should stay off). Also, if anybody wants to post group challenges, I'll be willing to try and meet or beat them along with all other willing participants. Anything that keeps it fun, new and exciting to lose. :wink:
  • AurraSing23
    Options
    Hi All! I am new to MFP and just getting using to tracking (on off, sometimes, maybe). It's hard though, getting used to being accountable. I guess that's why my doc suggested I set myself up here.

I want to be thin, I was once thin, but really there is so far to go. Somewhere along the way, I got away from activities I used to love, developed a thyroid condition, got divorced and got it in my head that i wasn't "worth it". Don't want to be a downer here, though. Reading the support here is helpful--so keep posting.

Thanks for helping me feel that I am not alone! That people have done this and I can too!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Keydrap, CeltGirl, and AurraSing!

My knees used to bother me *ALL* the time. The best solution I found to ease the pain untl I dropped some of the weight was GOOD shoes. I mean REALLY good supportive shoes that fit well. My first pair (@328 lbs) were the New Balance 927s. I got them for like 120 on Amazon. When I first put them on I felt like Herman Munster but WOW did they make my feet, knees, and back feel good while I walked.

Walking is a good start and for really LOW impact try swimming. That burns a carpton of calories and doesn't stress your joints. It took up some major nerve to get walk out of (and into) that lockerroom into the pool area that first time...but it was worth it!

Tuesdays goals... ONE day at a time for me. I'm slowing down to a snails pace and will stop thinking (for a little while) of where I want to be in 6 months and a year from now. Until I get back in the groove (or rut, whatever) I need to concentrate on the here and now and go minute by minute. THEN I'll think about next month/next year.

I was proud of myself last night, my dinner (an experiment) didn't come out that great. It tasted good but it wasn't very filling and the recipe was a flop (I tried making potato pancakes with instant potatoes instead of my mom's tried and true recipe) so I was still really hungry after I ate. I just had my fruit/desserts that I had prelogged and then called my momz to discuss the recipe (and complain) until it was bed time. I didn't make an entire SECOND dinner and eat it just because I wan't satisfied.
  • AnnaMW2013
    AnnaMW2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group newcomers! (I'm actually pretty new to the group too!)

@Robinsegg - I love your finds! And I totally relate to your food failures. I had two corn dogs for lunch yesterday (not my best moment).

AFM- decided today to try splitting my meals into 5 smaller meals today. I've heard this theory for a long time and enough that it's time to give it a shot. And had an "awesome" lashing from a weight loss group on FB about how I need to eat clean, etc. She looked at one day (yesterday of course) and determined that I eat horribly and thus the weight isn't coming off quickly. (This was her answer after I was asking if other people in the group thought I had enough calories.) So now I ask you all. 1600 calories daily, 30 years old, 280 pounds,5'5". What are your opinions?