Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day
    National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, which is observed annually on December 7, is to remember and honor all those who died in the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. On August 23, 1994, United States Congress, by Pub.L. 103–308, designated December 7 of each year as National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.[1] National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day is also referred to as Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day or Pearl Harbor Day. It is a tradition to fly the Flag of the United States at half-staff until sunset in honor of dead patriots.[2]
    The Attack on Pearl Harbor
    Main article: Attack on Pearl Harbor
    On Sunday morning, December 7, 1941 America's naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii was attacked by aircraft and submarines of the Imperial Japanese Navy, killing 2,403 American military personnel and civilians and injuring 1,178 others. The attack sank four U.S. Navy battleships and damaged four more. It also damaged or sank three cruisers, three destroyers, and one minelayer. Aircraft losses were 188 destroyed and 159 damaged.
    Aftermath
    Consequences of the attack on Pearl Harbor
    The day after the attack, the United States declared war on Japan and entered World War II. President Franklin Roosevelt, in a speech to Congress, stated that the bombing of Pearl Harbor is "a date which will live in infamy." [2]
    Public Life
    It is not a federal holiday. Government offices, schools, and businesses do not close. Some organizations may hold special events in memory of those killed or injured at Pearl Harbor.[2]
    Memorials
    Memorials have been built to remember the day and its events. The USS Arizona memorial in Pearl Harbor is a marble memorial over the sunken battleship USS Arizona, which was dedicated in 1962. The memorial remembers all military personnel who were killed in the Pearl Harbor attack. Another memorial is that of the USS Utah, a battleship that was attacked and sunk in the attack. A memorial to honor the crew of the USS Utah was dedicated on the northwest shore of Ford Island, near the ship's wreck, in 1972. The ship was added to the National Register of Historic Places and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1989.
    In 1990, leading up to the 50th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, Congress established the Pearl Harbor Commemorative Medal. This is also known as the Pearl Harbor Survivor's medal and was awarded to anyone who was in the U.S. Armed Forces and who was present in Hawaii on December 7, 1941 and participated in combat operations that day against the attack. The medal was also awarded to civilians who were killed or injured in the attack. A few years later, Congress amended the law to allow any person who was present in Hawaii on December 7, 1941 and was involved in combat operations against Japanese military forces attacking Hawaii to receive the award. In both instances, there was a limited time period to apply for the award, and it is no longer issued.

“If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.” ~Unknown

Tom
  • maram29
    maram29 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new.
    I'm in the middle of my journey to lose 250 pounds...I would love to help and be helped. :)
    Since it is Sunday...a little bit about myself....
    I live in NH, just had a sleet/mixed wintery blustery event yesterday, so have been inside most of the weekend. I'm in the middle of planning bike trips for myself in the spring (helps keep the sanity during cabin-fever days.). I've lost 130 pounds so far, and need to lose about that much more. I'm not sure of my switchover to maintaining point...so I'll see when I get there. Just trying to keep my nose to the grindstone. :blush:
    From the posts I read, this seems like a great group of people. I hope I can add to what you have established.
    Take care.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    @Robin ... I was just rading the other day about hanging off a noodle in a pool is one of the best ways to ease compaction in the discs. Oh, those long walks to get into the fitness center and then to the place intended to be ... I quit going last year because of it. However I'll be rejoining come January.

@kah ... good luck with your WW journey. Having a good friend to go with always makes it much more enjoyable and gives you an instant personal buddy to work on things together. Please do stop by and let us know how you are doing.

@maram ... welcome to the thread. Please stop by and I'd love to hear how you have lost all that weight so far ... as always, I am looking for tips.

AFM ... another day yesterday at goal calories ... that makes it 6/6 so far this month.
    The housework? ... I've slowed down. Today is my 'do no work' Sunday as my daddy taught me when I was just a knee-high ... so I'm catching up on reading favorite blogs and newsletters. It's sp sunny and crisp outside I should go for a walk ... but that's work!
    jjqktp7jgnle.jpg
    Niki
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @maram--welcome to the group! Congrats on your weight loss so far--130 lbs lost is amazing!! I'm also unsure of when I'll feel I'm "done" and ready to just maintain. I know I've got at least 20 more lbs to go, and then I'll see how I feel when I get to that point.

@tom--thanks for the Pearl Harbor Day info. One of my bucket list items is to visit the USS Arizona memorial in Hawaii.

@kelley--that's great that you and your friend are tackling the weight loss together again. I hope the switch gets you the results you deserve. Very happy to hear you will continue to post here--I would really miss you if you left the thread. The Christmas party sounds like so much fun! Ours is next Saturday, and I'm debating whether or not to go. It is usually an okay time, but it's the same thing every year. I wish we had the funds to do something fun like yours.

@kaye--great job getting through a tough day!

@robin--that's great that you got back into the pool. Now you just need to keep going back. Do you dislike the walk through the hallway b/c you are in your swimsuit? If so, could you just wear a cover-up?

@laurie--love the pics!

Sunday Share:
    I'm really struggling with staying within calories right now. I think in part it's b/c I'm so stressed and tired from work. These next 2 weeks will continue to be a challenge as well. I have meeting 3 days in a row this next week. I've contemplated trying to hit the gym after a meeting, so I may try that this week and see how it works out. So far the only day I have free for the gym is Thursday, but some friends invited me out that evening for some holiday cheer. If I can get to the gym at least one day Mon-Wed, I may join them Thurs instead of the gym.

At least I'll have a lot less grading this week. :smiley:

December All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 6/6 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    Workout: 1/6 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k over Winter Break (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k was 56:49)

Grading Goals:
    1. 60/66 AP essays
    2. 18/66 AP Journals
    3. 45/50 SL vocab
    4. x/60 SL Tests
    5. x/66 Tone tests
    6. 36/66 Grendel Tests

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--meeting
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--meeting
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • lleecc
    lleecc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Dec challenge week 1 met!
    6/7 days at or below goal
    7/7 days no salty, crunchy, carb-laden snacks

Dec challenge week 2
    5/7 days at or below goal (2 parties this week)
    5/7 days eat 3 fruit servings (maybe that will help me at the parties)

What does AFM mean in posts?

Hope everyone has a successful week. Remember, success is measured in many ways, not just what the scale says.

• cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    AFM = As For Me

Happy Sunday here as well. Feeling pretty good about my efforts at the gym. In the long run they will pay off. Final Weigh in for the Challenge at the gym is on Friday not Wednesday as I thought. So for now I am still on the top of the leader board. There is one person trying to sneak up behind me. I will know on Friday.

Work is stressing me out a bit. I did end up seeing a customer today. This week is a big push to get as much sewing done as possible. I want to take off a few days between Xmas and NY's. So far only one party for me this year.

Thank you to all who share your thoughts, victories and struggles here. The real world of weight loss lives in this thread.

Lori

December Challenge
    Food 7/7
    Fitness 7/7
    Water 7/7

Sucess is not final
    Failure is not fatal
    Courage to go on is the key
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    lleecc Laura - AFM means "As For Me" - a real head-scratcher, isn't it. Took me a long while to figure that one out! I like how you broke the month down into weeks - seems to be working quite well for you!
    SkinnyKaren-Yep I dislike the walk partly because of what I am wearing - I do wear a coverup but its a summer shift, sleeveless and above the knee. I might order something else to wear as a Christmas gift for myself, but I have "gifted" myself plenty already.....
    Gosh, your meetings are OVERWHELMING! When does the Union business end - say it stops before the schoolyear ends? :'( The stress would be too much for me! (Stress was the cause of me leaving my final job....)
    Skinny - your doing good on your goals - keep it up. You will OWN 2015.
    NKNiki - your daddy taught you well - mine was the opposite. He rested (boy,did he work hard) but us kids did anything he dremt up for us to do - we planted groves of trees, painted miles of fence, laid irrigation pipes, etc. but I thank him for the good work ethic! I was quite busy today up til now..
    Glad you are still holding under calories - congrats!
    Maram29 Welcome, my your pictures tell quite an amazing story. Its nice to have you join us. Perhaps you can teach some of us a few things...and we will help you with some support too. Using the word "blustery" to describe your NH weekend reminds me of Winny the Pooh - but he's never planning bike trips for HIS spring ! I'm impressed - as is my hiney whenever I sit on one of those things! someday I hope to have good butt muscles!
    Kahkelley - so glad you enjoyed your Company's party - did you use "curb feelers" to find your way home? I agree, bowling is a great time to socialize with co-workers while having a few drinks - inhibitions are shed and competition is friendlier. I like how you put it, that you thought about it a lot, deciding to rejoin WW due to a friend wanting to go back. Not a light decision. But going with a good friend is a wonderful way to "wrap gold threads" around a friend and WW is a good plan since you realize YOU are in control, and not their plan. Smart.
    Cardiology appt? The treadmill test? Hate it! But you'll do well, I hope!
    GrandmaKayeThat was a late post for you - what a long day you had - I can see why you worried, what with all that food you had to manage for your big, huge family. But so glad you did well - even tho you did have to do an hour on the pedaler. You are an inspiration to me (*)

AFM - finally put the last shiny ball on my Christmas tree (every time the lights are off I see an empty spot), and put the big box away, so my living room is ready for vacuuming. PT showed me the easiest was to vac was to walk the long way up and down the Living room, not stand in one spot and push and pull the vac, then move to another spot. It seems harder, but its easier on the back. Will do tomorrow, as today had to do multiple tasks, now they are all done, but for fixing my supper. Tonight will just watch TV.

Did a bad thing last nite, fell asleep in my den, reading a new book, and slept all nite, bobbing my head, in a wingback chair. Boy did my shoulders ache this morning! Lucky I have a microwave heat pack to help with that! Remember the days before the microwave? Oh so long ago! Didn't go swimming OR walking today. Exercise: 3/7
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Lori, love the quote.
    Kah, good luck with WW. I had good luck with following their program for awhile. I couldn't afford the cost of joining so I just had to rely on information I could glean from others. I didn't have a plan for maintaining when we went to Japan, so I gained it all back plus some. Having a friend will really help.
    Today I went for a walk with Cathy. I was slower than in the past and I only walked 2.7 miles. I can tell that my knee isn't completely healed, but it will come with time.
    Thirteen years ago, we were able to visit the USS Arizona. It was a very emotional experience. We also visited the war memorial in Nagasaki while we were living there. My father served on the European front during WWII. It was a really terrible time in history for the whole world.
    If I get going on the water, I should make my goals today.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    s8juy7a2jxot.jpg

the ship that brought my family to America. God Bless America and all the veterans, and their families who gave so much for their land.
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have been absent a few days; it has just been extremely stressful around here. I will spare you the details, but will say I managed somehow to not over eat, which would be my normal mode of operation. I feel good at least about that.

While I have not posted the last few days, I have been “lurking” as someone said and have been reading your challenges and victories. For the most part, I think everyone is doing great, struggles and all. Just checking in is a good thing; it keeps us thinking more in line with our goals.

Welcome Newbies. Check in often. This is a great thread. I know there are several of you that are new since I have written. You have found a good group.

Sunday Share: I love too cook! Oh mercy I am sure none of you ever thought of that! I cook pretty much all of our meals from scratch, with the occasional lunch out somewhere. The good news about that is I am more able to control what we have. True, some favorite old recipes have gone by the wayside, but some new and interesting tasty healthier recipes are taking their place. Veggies are a big favorite and I recently realized I collect vegetable cook books. Amazing what you can find out about yourself when you pay attention!

AFM: See above. Rough week, but it is getting better.

December Challenge:

Calories under goal: 6/31
    Salad a day: 5/31
    Exercise: Dismal

Thanks every one of you for being here.
    Barbara
    Mountmary84
  • mountmary84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Kelley I hate to be so dumb, but what is a cosmos? I am guessing since I don't know I have not had one~~~
    @Niki You must have been a very little girl when your family came on that boat. Do you remember much? My mom (lots older than us at 93) came from Brazil by boat when she was 5 and has interesting memories of that. Grandpa was a missionary there for a number of years and my dear poor young bride grandmother gave birth to 7 children in a relative shack...it is an amazing story.
    B
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @laura--great job getting through week one of the Dec challenge!

@lori--I'm crossing my fingers that you win that challenge!

@barbara--"cosmo" is short for "cosmopolitan." It's a martini made with vodka, triple sec or cointreau, and cranberry juice. It's delicious! Glad you made it through the stress without turning to food--or cosmos! LOL

@niki-- My maternal grandmother was born in the US. Her family came from Mexico before she was born, but my maternal grandfather came from Mexico, and my paternal grandparents both came from Macedonia. My dad researched and found the names of the ships--I need to get that info from him to save for my niece.

@kaye--great job with the walk!

@robin--I think if it will help you get to the pool more often, Santa can splurge on a new cover-up for you. A small investment for better health--and you are definitely worth it! Yes, the meetings are insane right before and after winter break. We are hoping to be done by late Feb or early March. However, we are negotiating the new contract, so who knows if that will happen. I certainly hope so!

AFM--Productive day grading. Friend and I went to Cooper's Hawk. For those who don't have them, it's an upscale chain restaurant that specializes in wine. I'm not a wine drinker, so I had a Pink Grapefruit Martini--delicious!! After that we went to a local brewery called The Lucky Monk. They were out of the Vandermill Hard Cider that I like to get there, so I just had a Captain and DIet Coke. Probably better off b/c mush lower in calories. I also had fish tacos at the second place, but passed on eating at CH. Proud of myself for that b/c they have some really tasty appetizers. I had already logged the fish tacos before heading out--so I just stuck to the food plan. :smile:

December All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 7/7 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    Workout: 1/7 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k over Winter Break (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k was 56:49)

Grading Goals:
    1. 60/66 AP essays
    2. 18/66 AP Journals
    3. 50/50 SL vocab DONE!
    4. 30/60 SL Tests HALF DONE!
    5. x/66 Tone tests
    6. 66/66 Grendel Tests DONE!

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE
    Mon--meeting
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--meeting
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • mountmary84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hmmmm, I think I would like a cosmos...and I have the fixins....yikes! I had better not look up the instructions. I made Nantucket Sleigh Rides last holiday. It is a drink based on hot tea....until I actually counted up how much booze was in them, they seemed innocent enough. Pretty tasty and hot on a cold night.
    Wait a minute...this is a thread about having salad and water ..I digress.
    Sorry.
    B
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Barbara- The Nantucket Sleigh Rides sound great, what type of liquor is involved.

Kelley- Good luck to your and your friend with WW. You will need to keep us posted on your progress. Just don't leave the thread, you would be greatly missed.

Robin- I do add new figurine every year. I am searching for this year's addition while I am out shopping. However, I need to be careful since I don't have much room left. This year the newest addition was a gift from a friend last year and it's Rudolph's hot chocolate stand. It is cute but a little out of place with the older style houses. I agree with Karen- Santa can buy you a new cover up. Great job at the pool today.

Kaye- Great walk today. Knees do take a while to heal.

Today, was a busy day so I could stay out of trouble so to speak. I thought about scuba diving but I realized that I would go for the wrong reason right now. I will wait until next year before taking up scuba diving for real. Started the day with laundry, decorated the outside trees, hit the gym, came home then went to a party and to the store before retuning home for the night. Made more cookies (peanut butter this time) and graded 2nd set of papers. I am tired tonight so that is a good thing.

Goals this week
    Sunday- Gym
    MOnday- trainer workout
    Tuesday- Meeting
    Wednesday- Meeting
    Thursday- Gym
    Friday- Climbing
    Saturday- Gym- then decorate hay wagons
    Sunday- Hayrides so outside all morning, may try for an afternoon activity
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @laurie--wow, sounds like a jam-packed day! When does your winter break start? Ours is in 2 more weeks. Can't wait!

@barbara--I agree with laurie--I think you need to share that recipe.

AFM--I almost forgot the best part of my day. In between all of the grading, my friend and I went shopping. We stopped at Ann Taylor Loft--one of my favorite stores--and I was checking out the clearance rack. There were a bunch of slacks--sizes 16, 14, 12--so I figured I would give them a try. The 16s literally fell off of me and the 14s almost did the same. The one pair of 12s stayed on, but they were very loose. I remember 60 lbs ago rationalizing that they "must run small" b/c I could no longer fit into any of their pants. Needless to say, I was happy despite not being able to take advantage of the clearance rack.

On another note though, this makes me think stores are continuing to participate in vanity sizing. I haven't bought new work slacks in several years b/c I've spent the last 3 years shopping in my closet and then in my sister's. All of my current slacks are size 12 and 14, and I still have some 12s hanging in my closet that are on the snug side. So the fact that the 12s at Loft were too big is suspicious.

December All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 7/7 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    Workout: 1/7 (goal is as much as possible)

Grading Goals:
    1. 60/66 AP essays
    2. 18/66 AP Journals
    3. 30/60 SL Tests HALF DONE!
    4. x/66 Tone tests

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE
    Mon--meeting
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--meeting
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • mountmary84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Am I allowed to put a recipe for a drink on this site? It involves Grand Marnier, orange juice, cranberry juice, tea, cinnamon. It is good. I feel like a naughty Grandma now~~ LOL
    Really, I do read this thread for diet inspiration.
    B
    Maybe I should PM it to those who ask.
  • grandmakaye44
    Options
    I'm chuckling about Barbara's hesitation to share her recipe. I'm a non-drinker, but sure did enjoy my non-alcoholic English wassail yesterday. I'm thinking of being very daring and buying some of that diet cranberry ginger ale I saw at the grocery store last week.
    I made it through the day with plenty of room for a cup of my homemade cocoa before bed. To each his/her own. ;)
  • maram29
    maram29 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcomes. Gosh I wish I had found this at the beginning of my journey and feel so thankful already, on Day 2!!

@Niki - there is no one way to do anything. You have to find what is your way that works with the other demands that are on you. That being said, I found that I had to also be willing to change what it was that I was doing, sometimes in minor ways, sometimes in major ways, sometimes rehauling all together. I went to a Nutritionist to learn more about what I was eating and how it affected me. Boy, did I have a lot to learn. For me, the problem was that everyone has advice, and we all hear it on strands here as well, and a lot of it is conflicting.
    - A friend of mine told me I should write a book about my experiences. I don't know if I'll follow through on that, but I know the title of it if I do. It will be called 'Every Da** Day.' I think that was my biggest revelation. I have to be healthy every day. I have to make good decisions for myself every day. I have to exercise, or be active, every day. Not just sometimes. Not just when the weather is good. Heck, I live in New England! I need to eat lighter every day. I need to log my food every day. I need to problem solve so I can make this happen every day. Every day. Every day.
    - So, I have no specific advice for anyone, because I'm hardly an expert. I know what works for me. But whatever you decide to do to make a healthier you... do it every da** day. :smiley:

@skinnyjeans - a fellow teacher, I see? I've also had a harder time the last weeks...Thanksgiving was harder than I thought it would be. The meal itself wasn't, it was the whole crazy weekend. I'll anticipate it better next year. I will prep a lot of food to take with me to places I visit. Yikes.

@Lori - these words spoke to my heart this morning.
    Success is not final
    Failure is not fatal
    Courage to go on is the key.
    Thanks for sharing those. Have a great day everyone!! Rock on!
  • grandmakaye44
    Options
    Maram29, I'm glad you found us. Your advice speaks volumes! Adapting this journey and our life style so they are compatible and being consistent are huge keys to success.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Karen and Laurie~Don’t worry, you can’t get rid of me that easy. :wink:

@MountMary~I love Cosmopolitan’s, they are my drink of choice. I’ve put alcohol beverage thru the recipe builder before. :wink:

@Robin~I’m seeing cardiologist first, but assuming she’ll order the treadmill test—although they usually have to inject me with a medication to increase my heart rate because by the time I get off the TM and onto the table for the echo, my heart rate has already returned to normal. Mine recovers quickly.

@Karen~I’m sorry that work and the meetings have you so stressed and drained. I’m glad you were able to get so much grading done this weekend (and had a good time in the midst of it). Just a couple of more weeks. I often wonder about sizing too, but awesome that the sizes you tried were loose (I think Ann Taylor run small, in general).

@maram29~Welcome, you found a very supportive group!

AFM~Well, I didn’t get to the decorating yesterday like I had hoped. I may have to forego outside lights this year—busy week and then getting my hair done Saturday along with a party Saturday night. Yesterday was my first day back to tracking on WW, it went well—had a session with my trainer yesterday afternoon and talked to him about it. He knows how OCD I get about things and how close I am with the friend I'm going with; he also knows how much weight I lost when doing it last time and how much I've been struggling lately, so thought it was a good call. Feels good to have his support. I was awake half the night last night for some reason, so hope I have enough energy to get some cardio in this afternoon.

December “all-in" Challenge:

Food: 4/7
    Exercise : 5/7

Exercise Goals:

Sunday~Trainer DONE!
    Monday~Cardio
    Tuesday~Trainer
    Wednesday~Cardio (?)
    Thursday~Trainer
    Friday~Rest day
    Saturday~Rest Day (hair appt/party)