Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Birthday UNICEF!
    The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF; /ˈjuːnɨsɛf/ EW-ni-sef)[1] is a United Nations Program headquartered in New York City that provides long-term humanitarian and developmental assistance to children and mothers in developing countries. It is one of the members of the United Nations Development Group and its Executive Committee.[2]
    UNICEF was created by the United Nations General Assembly on December 11, 1946, to provide emergency food and healthcare to children in countries that had been devastated by World War II. Ludwik Rajchman, a Polish bacteriologist, is regarded as the founder of UNICEF and was its first chairman from 1946 to 1950.[3] In 1953, UNICEF became a permanent part of the United Nations System and its name was shortened from the original United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund but it has continued to be known by the popular acronym based on this previous title.
    UNICEF relies on contributions from governments and private donors and UNICEF's total income for 2008 was $3,372,540,239.[4] Governments contribute two thirds of the organization's resources; private groups and some 6 million individuals contribute the rest through the National Committees. It is estimated that 91.8% of their revenue is distributed to Program Services.[5] UNICEF's programs emphasize developing community-level services to promote the health and well-being of children. UNICEF was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1965 and the Prince of Asturias Award of Concord in 2006.
    Most of UNICEF's work is in the field, with staff in over 190 countries and territories. More than 200 country offices carry out UNICEF's mission through a program developed with host governments. Seventeen regional offices provide technical assistance to country offices as needed.
    Overall management and administration of the organization takes place at its headquarters in New York. UNICEF's Supply Division is based in Copenhagen and serves as the primary point of distribution for such essential items as vaccines, antiretroviral medicines for children and mothers with HIV, nutritional supplements, emergency shelters, educational supplies, among others. A 36-member Executive Board establishes policies, approves programs and oversees administrative and financial plans. The Executive Board is made up of government representatives who are elected by the United Nations Economic and Social Council, usually for three-year terms.

UNICEF School in a box contains basic educational items for 1 teacher and 40 students
    Recent executive directors of UNICEF include Carol Bellamy (1995-2005), a former head of the Peace Corps, and Ann Veneman (2005-2010), a former United States Secretary of Agriculture whose mandate included increasing the organization's focus on the Millennium Development Goals. Since 2010, the current Executive Director of UNICEF has been Anthony Lake, a former US National Security Advisor.
    UNICEF is an intergovernmental organization (IGO) and thus is accountable to those governments. UNICEF’s salary and benefits package[6] is based on the United Nations Common System.
    UNICEF

Shop UNICEF

“Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person’s physical, emotional, and mental states.” ~Carol Welch

Tom
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. So sorry it has been a while since I checked in and said hi.

Life has been a bit hectic for me. We had my shower in November and it was beautiful. We went with a Dr. Seuss theme. A friend of mine made me a custom Dr Seuss cake. Everything was perfect and everyone had a great time! Well, everyone except my MIL. But you all know how she is...

A few days prior to my shower I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. :'( It just has been one whirl wind of doctor appointment after doctor appointment. I meet weekly with my endocrinologist and also have a dietitian assigned to me. Though honestly I didn't find the dietitian very helpful. Everything she explained to me I already knew. I attribute it to all I learned on MFP. When not in doctor appointments I have been on the phone with my insurance company fighting to get the necessary supplies I need to control my GD and ensure I have a healthy remainder of pregnancy. That is just a "joy" within itself. I test my blood 4 times a day. That was "fun" considering I have a fear of needles. I spent many hours with chest pains, crying and pretty much flipping out over it all from my anxiety over the needle. My numbers started out pretty good and my doctor thought we could control it through diet and exercise. Well, exercise "if" I can tolerate it. I have constant pubic bone pain from my uterus growing and pressing on the bone. Thankfully though my round ligament pain has subsided!!! As the weeks progressed my fasting numbers were out of control so my doctor decided to put me on insulin, once a day right before bed. That seemed to help. At my visit yesterday she decided now I take insulin 2x a day. Once before dinner and then another shot before bed. I was taken back by this because my numbers have been in the appropriate range. Though she feels my dinner numbers are higher than my numbers for the rest of the day and are on the higher end. As a precaution she wants me to do another shot right before I eat. :\ But the fun doesn't stop there. They tested my urine for ketones yesterday and lucky me, they were present. That means she wants me to eat more carbs. OK, maybe not such a bad thing since I love carbs. But it is just frustrating because they limited my carbs, I do what I am told and now are telling me I need to eat more. ARGH. I feel like no matter what I do, how hard I try it just isn't good enough. It really is frustrating. I have a little less than 8 weeks to go and I am at the point I just want to be done with this GD nonsense already. It's hard. It's stressful. I am sick and frustrated with having to test 4x a day and now give myself 2 insulin shots a day. I am tired of having to be on such a strict time schedule of when I am allowed to eat. (Timing of meals for GD is a huge component of GD control) I can't wait until I feel normal again. I don't know how anyone with diabetes goes through life having to do all of this. I never realized how involved diabetes management was before and how much effort needs to be put into it. I certainly have a new respect and admiration for anyone with this disease.

On a happy note, I have been working in the nursery a little bit each day and it is coming along very nicely. I only have a few minor things left to do such as hang my window dressings, get a lamp and hang some art work. It feels really good to be ahead of schedule with that!

I hope everyone is doing well with your journey.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options

@Robin - My new thing I'm going to try out is kind of portion control but in 'plate percentage' I'm going to try out 25% meat, 50% veg and 25% carbs. In that order, so when it comes to potato/rice/pasta i won't have much room left on my plate anyway. A way of forcing less carbs in my meal. I'm not usually a snacky person. The only one I have is at about 10-10.30 and that is usually an apple/banana/yogurt normally, but with a random bowl of nuts in the kitchen its murder! small handful after I've put food in the oven, another one if I'm early back and the timer hasn't gone, another one after washing up.
    @skinny j - Glad you survived without your laptop, it's amazing how much we can start to depend on them. We had a power cut a couple of months ago and no-one knew what to do with themselves after about 6 hours, when everything had died. I couldn't even do my knitting because the pattern was on my iPad.
    @Rozie - Planning ahead is probably the backbone to loosing weight, so you are on the right path! This is something I still need practice at I think...
    @lleecc - The day I get back down to 199 I will probably cry! I still have 13lbs to go before I get there, I look forward to hearing of your success! You will get there!
    @Barbara - I think you are very brave to do personal gifts, I attempted this one year and it ended with panic buying a couple of days before Christmas because I hadn't planned it out as well I as thought. The only think I have attempted this year is knitting a lace shawl/scarf for my mum and I have about 20 rows left so unless it goes very wrong, i'm quietly confident.
    @kah - it's all quiet on the family feud front at the moment, I don't know if they are waiting on forms or responses but nothing has been mentioned all week. Yes, I have seen many a youtube video of cats with Christmas trees so I understand your reservations about putting one up! :smiley:
    @Niki - That little ramble was beautiful. You painted a wonderful picture of you and your family at the beginning and it's nice to hear that you do still meet up at Christmas, even if I isn't as it used to be.

AFM - I did a hopeful second weigh-in this morning and I have only put on 1lb, which I can deal with :persevere: This is still on the old scales though. The new ones will tell me I put on 3lbs and I'm not thrilled about that. Ha ha. I have noticed I am doing very well with drinking water. I normally struggle with a Litre bottle, but I have temporarily misplaced it and have changed to a 600ml bottle and I have managed 2 of these for the last couple of days. so maybe two smaller bottles is more achievable than one big one?

I wish you all a good day!
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    JNettie, so glad to hear from you. You've been on my mind a lot. I'm sorry you are having to go through so many health challenges, but she will be so worth it. Hang in there and keep us posted when you can.
    Kaye
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    wow - I used to post on past Robin (100 lb to lose) threads, and then lost track. Glad to see this! I am having ups and downs with this process. I am grateful this was posted, and look forward to keeping up with it. Yep, I still have >100 to lose, and I am still sure I can do it ... slowly but surely.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

@nettie--great to see you back! Sorry about the GD--that's stinky. :(

No other personals right now b/c I'm trying to grade, but I may have time later.

Thursday Truth:
    I decided not to go to the gym today since I was able to go yesterday (meeting canceled). Instead I am at starbucks grading the rest of those SL tests.

December All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 10/10 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    Workout: 2/10 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k over Winter Break (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k was 56:49)

Grading Goals:
    1. 62/66 AP essays
    2. 56/66 AP Journals
    3. 30/60 SL Tests HALF DONE!
    4. x/66 Tone tests

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE
    Mon--meeting
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • maram29
    maram29 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi kids,
    Thanks to all of you for your supportive natures and kind words!
    @Robin: Big Hugs right back at you.
    @Morgori: The charades game with Time Traveling went fabulously. I was blown away by the history that these kids have at their fingertips. It was great fun and educational for all. Thanks for the idea!!
    @Grandma Kaye: Mail those baked goods now. :) AND: Great strategy for the dessert table....hats off to you!
    @Lois - WTG with your water....it's not easy to get used to.

AFM: Good day today, health wise. Busy times, December. AND WHEN IS IT GOING TO STOP RAINING.....?

Anyhow,
    Rock the night and then the day! If it's raining, just bring an umbrella and keep dancing!
    Mara
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I got part of the goodies mailed today. I think that in some respects I am doing better with them, but let me just say that I will have to do a lot of pedaling this evening to come in under my calorie goal for today.
    Mara, your comment made me think of 'Singin' in the Rain', one my favorite movies.
    Well, I had best get pedaling.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @Maddalen - welcome back - so glad you found us again!

@Jeanette - so glad to hear how you are doing. The GD sounds so disruptive to what should be such a pleasant time in your life. Oh boy, I hope Brian is still the supportive hubby he has always been! Time is getting short isn't it! Glad the nursery is almost done.

@Lois - your plate percentage idea is a slick one. I tend to eat my foods one after the other. All at one time would be better, I think. Last nite I had a yummy dinner of meatballs, beef gravy and Quinua (did you catch that Skinnyjeans?) it was so good I had a 2nd helping - and (blush) a third. In other words, I ate the whole thing - nothing left over!

Tonight, still haven't fixed any supper. Meatballs still sound so good. I get on a jag of eating one thing at a time. About running out of everything else, and must go to the store tomorrow. But it is warming up again so that will be a nice chore. Did my water traction today, so a good day. Spent hours on the phone untangling M'Care bills that were messed up - sigh - but hopefully now are straightened out.

Be good and keep track!
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Nettie- Sorry about the GD diagnosis but I am sure you will figure out a winning combination for food. A coworker dealt with the same thing this summer. Glad you dropped by and gave an update.

Another busy day so I am keeping this short. Tomorrow will nice all my students are testing. A quiet day I hope. We did have snow showers today and of course the kids acted liked they had never seen snow before, yes they were hyper about it.

Truth- I opted to take the day off from the gym tonight and started decorating the Christmas tree instead. Well worth it and I needed a night at home even through it was busy. Tomorrow will be back to climbing and this weekend will be busy with different things to do.

Have a great day.
  • maram29
    maram29 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!
    @Kaye - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE singing in the rain...the movie and in real life. :blush:
    @Robin - I'm the same way about food. Cook it once, eat it several times. :wink:
    Got cardio in, planned my day, will pack my food, shower and to work I go!
    Rock it like a hurricane! Don't look back. Plan forward.
    Mara
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Nettie~I’m so happy you checked in with us! I’m sorry for the GD diagnosis, I know how disruptive that can be to your daily routine and how frustrating it can be to eat the right combination of foods at the right time. My cousin’s wife had GD with both of her pregnancies; the first was with twins. Wow, 8 weeks?? Eeek! Time flies. I hope Brian is doting on you every chance he gets. :wink:

@Robin~I’m so glad you make the walk to the pool and did your thing, I bet you felt good afterwards.

@Karen~Looks like you’re making a dent in that grading, hooray!!! :smile:

@Maddalen~Glad you found us again, welcome back!

AFM~Its been such a strange week. Work has been crazy (always is Nov-Feb). Saw the cardiologist Wed, then had stress echo yesterday and now am wearing holter monitor (get to take it off this afternoon). This may be a strange thing to be proud of but about 10-years ago (and 100# ago) I had a stress echo, which I could hardly do—I could only get through phase 1, which made my heart rate return to normal quick so they had to give me dobutamine. Yesterday, I was able to go all the way to phase 5 allowing my heart rate to surpass what was required for the test, so no dobutamine—the harder you can get your heart to work the better the test. :smiley::star: I think something like this is a true measurement of progress being made off the scale. I wasn’t allowed to drink any caffeine all day resulting in a pretty horrible headache all day, crashed on the sofa when I got home--don’t worry, making it up with Starbucks this morning! :wink: Exercise this week was abysmal because of all of the appointments (trying to get everything in before deductible resets in Jan)—schedule got turned around, so session with my trainer is this afternoon. This was the last of the tests my internist wanted me to have, so life should return to normal next week (fingers crossed).

I think it’s spring again in Texas—in the 60s driving to work this morning, more like April. I think the birds are confused. Some lucky ducks got rain this morning, we need it.
  • MrsMorgori
    MrsMorgori Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    wcaw2ahssrl0.jpg Christmas 2011
  • MrsMorgori
    Options
    dlo5xkffpvgk.jpg Christmas 2012
  • MrsMorgori
    Options
    phulkqli3k84.jpg Christmas 2013
  • MrsMorgori
    Options
    LOL ~ Well there is me and "My Santa"! I will post this years when we take it :p We have lots more but I have to dig through thousands of pics to find them, another day maybe. T.G.I.F! Hoping for rain today :)
    Looking forward to gettin' all dressed up for Tom's work Masquerade Ball/Holiday Party, should be fun :D
    Gotta go and get some prep work done for our craft projects today, yep I get to PLAY all day and get paid to do it!
    Have a GREAT Day Y'All and Be Well <3
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

I think Amy (Mrs. Morgori) is getting into the Christmas spirit. :D

Happy Poinsettia Day! Friday, December 12, 2014
    Introduction
    Welcome to PoinsettiaDay.com, celebrating the beautiful plant we've come to associate with Christmas. December 12th is Poinsettia Day. The date marks the death of Joel Roberts Poinsett, an American botanist, physician and Minister to Mexico who in 1828 sent cuttings of the plant he'd discovered in Southern Mexico to his home in Charleston, South Carolina. Botanically, the plant is known as Euphorbia Pulcherrima
    In July of 2002, the House of Representatives created Poinsettia Day, passing a Resolution to honor Paul Ecke Jr. who is considered the father of the poinsettia industry. It was Paul Ecke's discovery of a technique which causes seedlings to branch that allowed the Poinsettia industry to flourish. It may come as a surprise to hear that every year, Poinsettias contribute upwards of $250,000,000 to the U.S. economy-at the wholesale level! Poinsettias are the best selling potted plant in the U.S. and Canada. The Ecke's technique remained a secret until the 1990s when a university researcher discovered and published the formula. Both Paul Ecke Sr. and Paul Ecke Jr. worked tirelessly to promote the plant and its association with Christmas. Today their ranch, situated in Encinitas, California is run by Paul Ecke lll.
    In Mexico the plant is called La Flor de la Nochebuena or, Flower of the Holy Night and is displayed in celebration of the December 12th, Dia de la Virgen. Use of the plant to celebrate Christmas in Mexico dates back to the 17th century. The flower connects to the legend of a young girl, distraught about not having anything with which to honor the Baby Jesus in a Christmas Procession. An angel tells her that any gift given with love is a wonderful gift. Later the weeds she gathers by the roadside to place around the manger miraculously transform into the beautiful red star flower we think of as Poinsettia. But Mexico's relationship to the plant goes back even further. The Aztecs called the plant Cuitlaxochitl meaning "star flower" and used it to produce a red dye. The sap was also used to control fevers. Montezuma, last of the Aztec king had Poinsettias delivered to him in by caravan to what is now Mexico City.

“It’s not the mistakes in life that are important; it’s what we learn from them.” ~Donna Guthrie

Tom
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    Our booster club provided a holiday breakfast for the faculty. I did okay eating some eggs, bacon, and sausage = 355 calories. Then I took a donut to eat "later" rationalizing that I could just eat a taste and leave the rest for someone else. I proceeded to eat the entire donut during my 1st period open--the calorie count on Dunkin Donuts' website = 550!! Needless to say, today will be my first of 3 allowed overage days in December. :neutral_face:
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    I have been a bit absent these days and what with the newbies I will do a bit of a catch up.
    My name is Lori.
    Joined MFP June 8 of this year at 259 pounds. Was down from a top weght of 297. Did that with Weigh Watchers. Today was the final weigh in for the Autumn Weight Loss Challenge at my gym. Drum Roll Please!!!! I am down to 198.5 :D total weight loss of 98.5. I am in Onderland for the first time since I was pregnant with my baby 24 years ago. While I did not win the challenge I did come in a close second. I was down 35.5 pounds in 10 weeks.
    To me that is a huge win, I have absolutely no regrets. Thank you all for your support through the last weeks. I could not have done it without you as part of my team. I am truly thankful. While I do pop in every day I do not post very often.

@kah - Weight Watchers is truly a great place to loose weight. It did not work for me in the long run, however the girl I joined with is still there and losing.
    @Nettie - At one point I was a diabetes educator for GD. A tough row to hoe but not impossible. Please remember they are just trying for the best outcome for you and baby.
    @Skinny - Just knowing what you have ahead with the negotiations makes my head ache.
    @Rozie - Last year we had a 3 week bathroom renovation that ended up taking 9 weeks and flooding out the bathroom below it twice. I know where you are coming from on that.

My mantra today:
    "You can't live the same year 75 times and call it a life" - Unknown

I, my friends am having a great year!

December Challenge:
    Food 11/11, Fitness 11/11, Water 11/11

Love to all, <3
    Lori
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Amy~Love the pics, thanks for sharing! :smile:

@Lori~Yes, WW is a great place to lose weight--I lost my first 75# on WW. When they changed the program a couple of years ago, it did quit working for me so I came to MFP. I've tweaked a lot since then so remaining positive. I decided I needed a change and a close friend of mine really needed the support--so hoping I have good results again.

@Karen~Yikes on the donut, gets us every time! :frowning: