Gym pet peeves

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
So we've got a thread going here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/70440-pet-peeves about general pet peeves...Every day I go to the gym I see tons of pet peeves:

Women who don't wear shoes (not even flip flops) in the locker room. Today I was in a bathroom stall and someone walked in to the stall next to mine BAREFOOT! :sick: :sick: Barefoot in a locker room bathroom?!?! :sick: :sick:

People who wear jeans when they workout..really, you don't have ONE pair of shorts or sweatpants?

People who wear too much perfume or cologne at the gym. I already can't breathe from working out, I don't need your bad patchouli cologne to make it worse.

People who don't wipe down the machines when they use them. Who wants to put their hands in your sweat? :sick:

What are some of yours?

Replies

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    people who talk on their phones as they work out

people who listen to their music way too loud
  • cwvanek
    cwvanek Posts: 111
    Options
    People who don't wipe down the machines when they use them. Who wants to put their hands in your sweat? :sick:

Eww. I hate that too. Sickos.

I also hate it when people strut around the locker room naked. I don't want to see that! Get a robe or something lol
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    ppl who jump me in line when I am checking in. :angry:
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I agree on all yours especially the perfume-cologne! Another is the dryer softner sheets. While I am pushing to my limit on the eliptical and they throw towels in the dryer, it just about makes me puke!!!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

I also hate it when people strut around the locker room naked. I don't want to see that! Get a robe or something lol

100% agree with both of those!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with all these, we should talk to the managers because I am sure there are ALOT of others thinking and feeling the same way and I do not think we are just being picking either! It is a good thing we don't belong to the same gym, they would not know what hit em!!LOL
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    GASSY people in the sauna!

:sad:
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above!!! :grumble: :noway:

Will add that people walking around the locker room & bathroom stalls dripping WET.
    They don't even bother to towel off a little.......... just let it DRIP!!! :huh: :angry:

Another one for me is in a class like aerobic kick boxing.
    People don't pay attention to their position in relation to others, jumping & flailing about. :explode:

AND: ....... blocking MY view of ME in the mirror!!! :laugh: :bigsmile: :love:
  • abr25
    abr25 Posts: 179
    Options
    People who hog the machines when there are a lot of people waiting to use them! (my gym at school is always so crowded)
  • Becky_Boop
    Options
    big scary men who give me the "you dont belong here" look when I walk anywhere near the weights,
    and then follow it with yet another dirty look when they realise im lifting less than the weight of their little finger.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    when they don't actually take the key out of the locker because they don't have a card. Drives me crazy to look in locker after locker that already have people's stuff in them.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I agree with the not wiping the machines down, especially the ones you sit on and get "butt sweat" on. One day I saw a lady get up, go sanitize HER hands but not wipe down the machine. So I wiped it down before and after I used it, hoping she would get the hint but no.

Also, general deuchbag-ness. One day the guy next to me on the treadmill had it on like the highest incline and when he was done he just left it inclined. It's not like you can really FORGET to put it down.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Guys who feel the need to do 15 sets of bench presses (this in a small park district fitness center that has only one bench press).

Guys who make a big deal of posing and strutting for 5 min in between sets (usually the same d**khead who is doing the 15 sets of bench press).

People (guys) who select huge weights and then use machine frame as leverage to bang the wt stack up and down.

Guys who use too much weight and then arch their backs, use body leverage or other forms of cheating to lift the weight.

People who wear flip flops in the weight room.

Women who wave around 5lb dumbbells because they are "toning".

Guys who do not unload their weights.

Facilities that feel they only have to buy equipment once every decade or so; gyms that oversell their memberships.

People who walk in pairs or even trios on the indoor track, chatting away and oblivious to anyone else around them, as they block 3 inside lanes.

Spinning instructors.

People who use a dual-adjustable pulley/multi function trainer for tricep extensions--when there are 2 or 3 other machines available to do the same thing.

People on ab curl or back extension machines.

Front desk people who hand out locker keys that are all clustered in the same place, so you have 2 or 3 guys banging into each other trying to get changed.

SOMEONE WHO IS ON THE MACHINE THAT I WANT! (HOW DARE THEY) :grumble:
  • ColoradoGirl
    ColoradoGirl Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    people who talk to much.. When I am working out.. that is my time and i don't want to be bothered! Drives me nuts when you only have "X" amount of time and people don't understand how precious that time is!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    big scary men who give me the "you dont belong here" look when I walk anywhere near the weights,
    and then follow it with yet another dirty look when they realise im lifting less than the weight of their little finger.

It doesn't affect me like it does you since I am not female, but I have no patience for that crap and you don't need to take it either.

I used to get some looks before I lost weight, and because of my age. But I am "confident" enough to basically shove it back in their faces, since I know that in almost every case, my knowledge about training, my lifting form, and the general organization of my workouts is 10x better than they could ever dream of.

I wear my headphones so I don't have to listen to their cliche, puerile muscle head music and just laugh at them.
  • Nipha
    Nipha Posts: 12
    Options
    This is probably only a problem in college gyms, but the couples who use the weight machines to make out. Sure, getting physical with your sweetie can be a nice work out in and of itself, but really, does it have to be in the gym?
  • lilcowbell
    Options
    Guys who feel the need to do 15 sets of bench presses (this in a small park district fitness center that has only one bench press).

Guys who make a big deal of posing and strutting for 5 min in between sets (usually the same d**khead who is doing the 15 sets of bench press).

People (guys) who select huge weights and then use machine frame as leverage to bang the wt stack up and down.

Guys who use too much weight and then arch their backs, use body leverage or other forms of cheating to lift the weight.

People who wear flip flops in the weight room.

Women who wave around 5lb dumbbells because they are "toning".

Guys who do not unload their weights.

Facilities that feel they only have to buy equipment once every decade or so; gyms that oversell their memberships.

People who walk in pairs or even trios on the indoor track, chatting away and oblivious to anyone else around them, as they block 3 inside lanes.

Spinning instructors.

People who use a dual-adjustable pulley/multi function trainer for tricep extensions--when there are 2 or 3 other machines available to do the same thing.

People on ab curl or back extension machines.

Front desk people who hand out locker keys that are all clustered in the same place, so you have 2 or 3 guys banging into each other trying to get changed.

These are ALL GREAT!!!! I especially get annoyed at women who lift very light weights and state "I don't want to get muscular". It takes a LOT of work for a woman to get muscular, it won't happen by accident lifting a 10 pounder!
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options

people who listen to their music way too loud
    Definitely, the cell phones! And the people that chat with the person on a neighboring machine. In both instances, they are forced to talk very loudly to be heard over the din of the machines and the music that is playing.

I agree with the extreme B.O. and the perfume, too. Both are big distractions.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above!!! :grumble: :noway:

Will add that people walking around the locker room & bathroom stalls dripping WET.
    They don't even bother to towel off a little.......... just let it DRIP!!! :huh: :angry:

Another one for me is in a class like aerobic kick boxing.
    People don't pay attention to their position in relation to others, jumping & flailing about. :explode:

AND: ....... blocking MY view of ME in the mirror!!! :laugh: :bigsmile: :love:

barb you look HAWT 00020156.gif
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

YES, THIS ONE! It happened to me today. The only satisfaction I got was that they had to take off the weight that I had previously set on for my first rep. and he was male :)