Gym pet peeves

Options

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a peeve but it was a bit embarrassing. I was just "fresh off the couch", needless to say I couldn't lift very much. This little old lady, 70 if she's a day and probably weighs 80 pounds with her purse, does the circuit right behind me. At every machine she shakes her head, goes tsk tsk and adds twice as much weight. :noway: This has taught me to be kind to new people. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh:
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Hopefully it has also taught you to be kind to old people, 'cause that granny might bodyslam you! Hehehehe,,,, :laugh:

lol yeah I'm afraid of the grannies at the gym!!

pet peeve: at my old gym there was 2 really nice really new treadmills and then a few older ones that were not so nice, no incline yadda yadda, anyway I went in the mornings and one of the new ones was always in use by a guy training for a marathon, which is fine by me and it left the other one free. This girl would come in and get on the new one for a warm up then leave her water & towel on it to go out and do a set of weights that would take about 10 minutes then would come back do another 10-15 mintues on the treadmill then go back out to the weights, again leaving all her stuff. One time this old guy moved her stuff while she was out so he could use the treadmill because all the others were in use and she came back gave him this nasty look and started on one of the older ones that was freed up, the WHOLE time staring the old guy down. after a few minutes she finally walked up to him and starts ripping into him for moving her stuff and saying she's going to do another circuit and would be back in 10 minutes and expected him to be off HER treadmill. So my pet peeve is hogging the fancy new equipment and yelling at old people :)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I can agree with all but then we are dealing with people that aren't us BUT I absolutely hate and want to kill ANYONE, that wears perfume or cologne to the gym, the only other thing that may cause the same problem is a farty person. There is NOTHING worse than working out hard and someone walks past or worse yet decides they need to be right next to you and they absolutely STINK up the joint with their perfumy self. :noway: :mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I have to admit to giving the stink eye to a guy on "my " elliptical but if he is there first, he gets it. I hate when people hold up equipment with their stuff. Everybody paid their membership fees, so everybody has a right to use whatever equipment. If she wants her own treadmill, she should buy one
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    People who stink!!!! like BO.
    People who dont wear socks and smell like pop corn! YUK
    People who talk on thier cells or talk to peope to loud
    People who dont clean thier machine after they were pouring on thier machine
    People give your an attitude or dirty look when you ask them nicely if they are using that machine, ball, lbs, etc.

I love this post! Sorry I got a lil carried away I hate ignorant people..
  • toots99
    Options
    pet peeve: at my old gym there was 2 really nice really new treadmills and then a few older ones that were not so nice, no incline yadda yadda, anyway I went in the mornings and one of the new ones was always in use by a guy training for a marathon, which is fine by me and it left the other one free. This girl would come in and get on the new one for a warm up then leave her water & towel on it to go out and do a set of weights that would take about 10 minutes then would come back do another 10-15 mintues on the treadmill then go back out to the weights, again leaving all her stuff. One time this old guy moved her stuff while she was out so he could use the treadmill because all the others were in use and she came back gave him this nasty look and started on one of the older ones that was freed up, the WHOLE time staring the old guy down. after a few minutes she finally walked up to him and starts ripping into him for moving her stuff and saying she's going to do another circuit and would be back in 10 minutes and expected him to be off HER treadmill. So my pet peeve is hogging the fancy new equipment and yelling at old people :)

She sounds like a real b*tch!

I was stretching one day after a workout, near the treadmills. There were two guys talking really loudly, and cursing every other word. There was an elderly lady on the treadmill next to them. I said to them something like "You guys are practically yelling you're so loud! And there's a lady next to you!" I think the one said something like "Yeah, I know." So I retorted with "Well then have some respect and watch your mouth!"

I left right after that because I didn't want to be punched in the mouth. :laugh:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    <<snip>>

Define "stink" please.

I come in clean wearing clean clothes, I exercise and get sweaty (that's kind'a the point) and then I smell like sweat. Not funky nasty sweatsock smelly, but like fresh sweat. Is that "stink"? How do you guys recommend I avoid this?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    <<snip>>

Define "stink" please.

I come in clean wearing clean clothes, I exercise and get sweaty (that's kind'a the point) and then I smell like sweat. Not funky nasty sweatsock smelly, but like fresh sweat. Is that "stink"? How do you guys recommend I avoid this?

Let me in on this too. Most of the complaints on here are just general golden rule stuff. Which I guess they don't teach as much as they used to.

However, Some of this stuff you just have to expect to happen in a gym. People are going to sweat, and therefore smell funky. I would even expect people to accidently do some "crop dusting" while doing squats/situps/sled or anything else that uses hip and ab muscles.

I also expect to here some grunting from people doing heavy sets. It's a gym, that kind of stuff happens there.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    <<snip>>

Define "stink" please.

Just my opinion, but I think there is a qualitative difference between "workout glow" and "stink" (although, I will grant that is in the "nose" of the beholder).

I don't think sweat is inherently "stinky". Some people have BO because of poor hygiene, some because of physical issues.

I'm not a super sweater, but I am definitely in the top 10%. I also generate a lot of heat and work out fairly vigorously for my advanced years. In my old club the cardio pieces were packed in pretty closely and I have had instances where someone next to me moved to another area after I got started. I don't think it was odor as much as just that she was doing a much more laid back workout and found it distracting.

I believe in the "better safe than sorry" strategy when it comes to going to the club. If there is any doubt I shower before I go and obviously always make sure the clothes are clean. If I don't plan my day correctly, sometimes that means 3 showers, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

My biggest problem is that all my workout wear is 1-2 years old. Being out of work, I have been making do. However, the "technical" fabrics I prefer have a tendency to accumulate odor over time, regardless of how thoroughly they are washed. It seems like everything is going at once--the shoes are worn out and all the shirts are starting to smell.

Looks like I am going to have to give up my new all-clad frying pan and get new workout clothes for christmas. :cry:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hopefully it has also taught you to be kind to old people, 'cause that granny might bodyslam you! Hehehehe,,,, :laugh:

Believe me, I was very respectful around her...
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I do believe there is a difference between workout sweat and body odour. I go to the gym fairly clean ( I do not shower right before). I work out very hard and I sweat buckets. I have sweat dripping off my face, down my chest and back and my hair at the back is soaked. It is not a pretty picture, but I am there to work out and not there to look pretty.

I can offend myself at the end of a work out but it is necessary to get results. If I offend others, please forgive me. I promise to go and shower right afterwards!
  • toots99
    Options
    I do believe there is a difference between workout sweat and body odour. I go to the gym fairly clean ( I do not shower right before). I work out very hard and I sweat buckets. I have sweat dripping off my face, down my chest and back and my hair at the back is soaked. It is not a pretty picture, but I am there to work out and not there to look pretty.

I can offend myself at the end of a work out but it is necessary to get results. If I offend others, please forgive me. I promise to go and shower right afterwards!

Amen!
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    people who talk to much.. When I am working out.. that is my time and i don't want to be bothered! Drives me nuts when you only have "X" amount of time and people don't understand how precious that time is!

I totally agree! Especially when I have my head phones in and guys come try to talk to me. Obviously I am not interested in being approached when I'm sweaty on a treadmill and listening to my music. Leave me alone! I am here to relieve stress, get some quality me time, and look good when I go out, hit on me then. It happens all the time at my gym because the area where I live has mostly people in their 20s and 30s, so a lot of people do approach the gym as time to meet someone but oh it drives me crazy!!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    <<snip>>

Define "stink" please.

No no no... Stink means like arm pits or dirty *kitten*. Meaning take a shower atleast 12-24 hours before going to the gym. Also that means wearing deodorant!! The point of working out is to get down and dirty; I get that. I sweat a lot when I am at working out. If I dont sweat I feel like I have done nothing but I also showered that day and have a nice coat of Secret on my pits!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    people who talk to much.. When I am working out.. that is my time and i don't want to be bothered! Drives me nuts when you only have "X" amount of time and people don't understand how precious that time is!

I totally agree! Especially when I have my head phones in and guys come try to talk to me. Obviously I am not interested in being approached when I'm sweaty on a treadmill and listening to my music. Leave me alone! I am here to relieve stress, get some quality me time, and look good when I go out, hit on me then. It happens all the time at my gym because the area where I live has mostly people in their 20s and 30s, so a lot of people do approach the gym as time to meet someone but oh it drives me crazy!!

Me 2 but it doesnt happen as often if I have head phones on. If someone talks to be I am polite for the first few sentences but then put them back on so they get the hint lol. Also you kinda have to have a dont talk to me look on your face :noway:
  • Trav
    Trav Posts: 2,022
    Options
    body odor has to be the biggest of all....dont u hate when u can smell it like 10 feet away...makes me change machines
  • toots99
    Options

I'm the opposite...being sort of new to the state and single, I'd welcome that with open arms! :laugh:
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Why is Everyone complaing?? If the person at the gym is not physically insulting you, or bothering you then who carresssss! Life is wayyyy more fun when you dont stress about little stupid things like these! :) It almost ridiculous how many "pet peeves" people have on here. There are pages and pages! We go to the gym to achieve our own personal goals who cares about anyone else!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Why is Everyone complaing?? If the person at the gym is not physically insulting you, or bothering you then who carresssss! Life is wayyyy more fun when you dont stress about little stupid things like these! :) It almost ridiculous how many "pet peeves" people have on here. There are pages and pages! We go to the gym to achieve our own personal goals who cares about anyone else!

Then you are probably one of the people who do these things. You didnt have to respond to this post. It specifically says "pet peeves". People are ignorant in public places and this post was for people to vent!!
  • toots99
    Options
    So you like it when someone reeks of BO next to you at the gym or if someone is gabbing away loudly on their cell phone on the treadmill next you? :laugh:

It's just a harmless topic, that's all. No one is stressing about 'stupid little things'. :smile: