Read this if you never want to eat pop-tarts again.

Options

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me- I eat meat and I prefer if companies DO USE as much as the animal instead of just certain parts and throwing the rest out. I'd rather have an animal product than some chemical "gel".

Ditto. People have been eating bugs and miscellaneous animal parts since we've existed as a species.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Here I thought new information was going to be shared. They have since found ways of synthesizing gelatin in order to make these things without animal byproducts. Many of our every day items, from clothing to paints to toiletries and more, contain animal products. If you buy store brand, it's pretty much a guarantee.

Reading this felt like I was reading someone writing "Did you know that glue comes from horse hooves? And that's why they say "send him to the glue factory"???" It's like... Um... DUH.

Personally, I think if a person chooses to eat meat and use animal products, they should strive to utilize the entirety of the slaughtered animal if at all possible, and do so with respect.

Besides, I think poptarts are more "scary" due to fat and sugar contents.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    bacon poptarts? Now we're on to something!!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Most companies are getting away from tendon derived gelatin in favor of a vegetable based form of it. why dont you look up how much rat hair is allowed in peanut butter. thats why we have immune systems.
  • marlynej
    marlynej Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    never did eat pop tarts but do eat liver of all sorts and love the bone marrow on crackers when I cook my soup bones.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me hungry for bacon and pork chops...

me too :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Mmmm bacon (in my Homer Simpson voice)!!!

Say what you want about pork, but I'm not giving up my pop-tarts...nope not for all the pigs in Iowa :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BoxingAli
    BoxingAli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me hungry for bacon and pork chops...

LOL! ^^^This!
  • Quasita
    Options
    I was watching The Doctors last night and they said that fake raspberry flavoring is made from beaver anal gland excretion. Yum!

I'll still eat pop-tarts. I eat hot dogs. Just because it seems nasty being in a pop-tart doesn't mean I wouldn't eat it in other stuff.

Musk perfumes use the pheremones from musk deer to create the scent... People wear musk scents all the time without thinking about it... but that's why they smell "earthy" or "woodsy" to most people.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    This is one of those "WTF" topics for me. Gelatin panic? Seriously? :noway:

The 5th graders at my elementary school tried to tell us this info when I was a kid to make us afraid to eat things. I have eaten all things gelatin before and since then. As a matter of fact, I bought some suger free jello cups in bulk from a warehouse club. This post actually only reminded me how delicious pop tarts are and that I should buy some because I haven't eaten any in a while.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    bacon poptarts? Now we're on to something!!

Yes please!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Gelatin is in a lot of things....

This thread really just makes me want pop tarts.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I think most people in this day and age know what gelatin's derived from, hence why some vegetarians and all vegans steer clear of anything containing it. To know it's in a poptart is no big deal, it's a highly processed snack with artificial flavors and colors (maybe even some derived from bugs as red dye often is) so to say the inside's just as bad isn't mindblowingly shocking. Yeah maybe it's gross, but I don't think anyone's going to shun poptarts because it contains parts of a pig we don't normally consume. Personally I'd rather see a company try to find a way to use ALL of the animal than add to America's notorious food waste record. S'what they did back in the day anyway.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    There's always room for jell-o!

Ooh this one's a kicker - know what that delicious snappy casing on a hot dog or sausage is? The ones that are listed as "natural casing?"
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    not sure what the big deal is
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Everyone know pop tarts are crappy junk food, but I learned something today that will encourage me to never eat another poptart should I encounter one. I knew jello was made from nasty stuff. Come to find out its a lot more then jello.

The back story: I'm from Iowa originally, and Iowa is known for two things, hogs and corn. Where there is hogs there is meat processing plants. My best friend just began working for one of these pig processing plant and he told me about something.

Companies go to every extent to use every part of the pig. This is where pop-tarts come in, the filling in pop-tarts contains gelatin, not so scary right? What if i told you that was pork gelatin? Yummy your pop-tart filling is made with gelatin that is derived from the hide of a pig. Yum. Other things that gelatin comes from skin, boiled crushed horn, hoof and bones, connective tissues, organs and some intestines of animals such as domesticated cattle, chicken, horses hooves, and pigs.

Products gelatin is use in?
    Gelatin desserts, (like jello) trifles, aspic, marshmallows, and confectioneries such as Peeps and gummy bears. Gelatin may be used as a stabilizer, thickener, or texturizer in foods such as ice cream, jams, yogurt, cream cheese, and margarine; it is used, as well, in fat-reduced foods to simulate the mouthfeel of fat and to create volume without adding calories

Bits and pieces of what I wrote came from a web search, and were not written by me.

Who knew I could get pork while eating a pop tart?

In the olden times most cultures make sure to use every part of the animal when they killed it. Part of it was out of necessity and part of it was for spiritual reasons. I see it as carrying on in their ways. Now gimmie a Pop Tart and I will wash it down with a Coke Zero.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    The only crime Pop-Tarts have in my book?
    You're only supposed to eat one.
    :( ONE.
    But they put two in the pack.
    wtffffff.
    You can't just take one out & tuck the other away!
    I can't, anyway.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, though, I do appreciate the information.
    I'm from Georgia, & it's pretty common to eat stuff like hash...where you should never ask what's in it. o_o It's just good.
    & processed meats are also famous for having animal by-products.
    So it doesn't entirely gross me out.
    Unexpected that's it's in Pop-Tarts, but nonetheless.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    There's always room for jell-o!

Ooh this one's a kicker - know what that delicious snappy casing on a hot dog or sausage is? The ones that are listed as "natural casing?"

Guess who's helped make sausage and has handwashed "natural casings"? I don't mind them for casings, I just dont know why some people don't bother to peel them before eating.
  • Quasita
    Options
    The US does one thing that not all countries can or are able to do... That is this thing they call pasteurizing. The apple juice with rats? It's filtered and pasteurized unless it's specifically created to be otherwise. This means that the food/drink underwent heat and other treatments to kill unwanted bacteria.
    Granted, nothing is perfect in thisworld, and I don't rely on such things, but knowing the practice is in place should put people at ease.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    Pop tarts rule! I especially like them toasted. They're just not the same "raw".