Read this if you never want to eat pop-tarts again.

Options

Replies

• damedame
    damedame Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Oh and if that didn't make you squirm at all, look for the ingredient "Carmine" or natural red 4 used in food products and natural makes ups....its made from insects.

Yup that lipstick might be from boiled bugs, kind of cool huh?

lipstick and many other beauty products use bat guano (bat poop) and shark bits
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    There's always room for jell-o!

Ooh this one's a kicker - know what that delicious snappy casing on a hot dog or sausage is? The ones that are listed as "natural casing?"

Guess who's helped make sausage and has handwashed "natural casings"? I don't mind them for casings, I just dont know why some people don't bother to peel them before eating.

I don't peel them because the snap is important. Makes or breaks the hot dog, you know.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    waynesworld-cool-story-bro.jpg
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Everyone know pop tarts are crappy junk food, but I learned something today that will encourage me to never eat another poptart should I encounter one. I knew jello was made from nasty stuff. Come to find out its a lot more then jello.

The back story: I'm from Iowa originally, and Iowa is known for two things, hogs and corn. Where there is hogs there is meat processing plants. My best friend just began working for one of these pig processing plant and he told me about something.

Companies go to every extent to use every part of the pig. This is where pop-tarts come in, the filling in pop-tarts contains gelatin, not so scary right? What if i told you that was pork gelatin? Yummy your pop-tart filling is made with gelatin that is derived from the hide of a pig. Yum. Other things that gelatin comes from skin, boiled crushed horn, hoof and bones, connective tissues, organs and some intestines of animals such as domesticated cattle, chicken, horses hooves, and pigs.

Products gelatin is use in?
    Gelatin desserts, (like jello) trifles, aspic, marshmallows, and confectioneries such as Peeps and gummy bears. Gelatin may be used as a stabilizer, thickener, or texturizer in foods such as ice cream, jams, yogurt, cream cheese, and margarine; it is used, as well, in fat-reduced foods to simulate the mouthfeel of fat and to create volume without adding calories

Bits and pieces of what I wrote came from a web search, and were not written by me.

Who knew I could get pork while eating a pop tart?

I think pop tart come from the *kitten*es of angels, pop tarts are my go to pre workout .
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I like pork and I like pop tarts....so im happy for such an awesome combo!!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, though, I do appreciate the information.
    I'm from Georgia, & it's pretty common to eat stuff like hash...where you should never ask what's in it. o_o It's just good.
    & processed meats are also famous for having animal by-products.
    So it doesn't entirely gross me out.
    Unexpected that's it's in Pop-Tarts, but nonetheless.

It shouldn't be unexpected. It's in many yogurts, gummy candies and a host of other foods. Gelatin is an extremely common ingredient.

Also, most multivitamins have it.
  • 67butterfly
    67butterfly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    here goes
  • 67butterfly
    Options
    I totally agree with this! I still eat hot dogs and bologna. Lovem hotdogs! (i even work in a butcher shop). Not all slaughter houses are evil. I think people tend to focus more on the bad. There's always going to be something people find disgusting and wrong with just about anything. Sooooo many things. My sister n law is Vegan, she's very careful of the things she eats, and of the products she buys. More power to her! It's all about how you feel. Some people prefer not to eat meat. I eat meat everyday.
    If people knew the truth about most of the food they regularly ate, they'd starve to death. I prefer to eat a well balanced meal that includes meat! Besides, if it ever came down to the apocolypse...doomsday etc etc...i'm not going to have time to grow a garden. ...but i'll have plenty of bullets in my gun for food! (my opinion)....commence backlash :tongue:
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Besides, if it ever came down to the apocolypse...doomsday etc etc...i'm not going to have time to grow a garden. ...but i'll have plenty of bullets in my gun for food! (my opinion)....commence backlash :tongue:

I'm rolling with YOU! People beware- if the animal supply gets scarce and I get hungry, I'm going survival of the fittest on all your *kitten*. I'll be eating some manbeef burgers.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Besides, if it ever came down to the apocolypse...doomsday etc etc...i'm not going to have time to grow a garden. ...but i'll have plenty of bullets in my gun for food! (my opinion)....commence backlash :tongue:

I'm rolling with YOU! People beware- if the animal supply gets scarce and I get hungry, I'm going survival of the fittest on all your *kitten*. I'll be eating some manbeef burgers.

Second this... Can I hire you to gather product for my restaurant when the zombie apocalypse hits? I'll provide the body armor, and together we can rule the zombie fine dining establishment business!
  • 67butterfly
    Options
    lol!

Second this... Can I hire you to gather product for my restaurant when the zombie apocalypse hits? I'll provide the body armor, and together we can rule the zombie fine dining establishment business!
  • 67butterfly
    Options
    ....and then there's all beef hot dogs. They may be all beef, but what part of the cow are we talking about? > I'd still put one on a stick and roast it by the fire....mmmmmm tastes goood!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I love poptarts, this doesn't phase me one bit lol. The fact that they are 400 calories is more a reason to stay away from them.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who was hoping for something to actually make to never want pop tarts again. I avoid them due to the high junk calories but sometimes those frosted sprinkled strawberry ones or raspberry ones call my name.
    Now I want a pop tart with roast pork on top!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I still eat pop tarts from time to time. It's good fresh out of the toaster. I'm also a meat eater..so it doesn't bother me.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm the only person who didn't know about this. :laugh: I don't like poptarts to begin with anyway.
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't see any problem with this. I am from Iowa and was born and raised here. eating animal products is just a part of life for us and I feel that it is the right thing to do to use as much of the animal as possible. There are animal products in more things than most people realize but I think that it is important for people to understand where their food comes from (not the grocery store). Just because the parts of the animal that you list are the "leftovers" after slaughter does not mean they are not quality food. Although we may not want to eat an animal hoof all by itself it still can be valuable and used for something else. I think trying to use as much of the animal as we can is a very responsible thing for producers to do and I hope they continue to do it. I have known all of my life that jello and pop tarts and other such items contained all of these animal parts in them and it doesn't bother me at all. Never has. Guess that's just our lifestyle. We don't take these animal lives for granted. We appreciate what they give us and make use of it. We don't waste something when it can have a purpose. So I say lets all have a pop tart and a big ole steak and get on with life! :)
  • 67butterfly
    Options
    I love poptarts, this doesn't phase me one bit lol. The fact that they are 400 calories is more a reason to stay away from them.
    if you only eat 1 poptart it's only about 200cal....with protein lol
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    if you only eat 1 poptart it's only about 200cal....with protein lol

I can think of a lot of other things I would rather eat for 200 calories regardless of what is in pop-tarts. They never have held much appeal for me.
  • scorp7003
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I gave up beef & pork (and any products containing their by-products) 4-1/2 years ago, and was so disappointed when I learned shortly thereafter that gelatin was a by-product. I gave up my favorite cereal, frosted mini wheats, since gelatin was an ingredient. I have only eaten pop tarts a couple times since then, but I had no idea they contained gelatin. I have some in my pantry now that have been sitting for months since I haven't wanted to waste the points/calories on them, and will be throwing them in the trash as soon as I get up. Just goes to show you need to read EVERY label. I still eat chicken, turkey, fish & seafood so am not vegetarian, but I stopped eating beef & pork for moral reasons (no judgement on anyone else, it was a personal decision for me) and I hate that I have ingested ANY of their products by accident. I do know that it happens sometimes when we go out to eat, but I don't know about it if/when it does and I make the best decisions I can. I don't know how vegetarians do it -- I'd be afraid to eat anything I didn't prepare myself!