Meat eater, vegetarian or vegan?? Which are you?

Options

Replies

• HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I saw this on a shirt at the Minnesota State fair today. It says it all. " I did not climb to the top of the food chain just to become a vegetarian."

LOVE IT! :drinker:

Card Carrying Carnivore here!!

See that snake I'm holding in my profile pic?

I ATE him! :laugh: j/k

Actually, I have eaten rattlesnake, while in Arizona on a business trip. Not bad.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Not being disrespectful, but I've honestly never understood vegans/vegetarians. If eating meat was so bad, the human race would have become extinct long before they'd invented the internet. LOL I also do not understand why they would choose not to eat meat but then choose to ingest all sorts of chemically altered, processed, food-like additives that they must add to many foods to recreate either textures/flavors that can be derived naturally with the use of animal products. Ah well, to each his/her own. Just leaves more steak for me to enjoy.

I am a vegan...and I completely agree with your statement about chemically altered processed foods....I dont understand why some vegans mimic meat dishes with tofu and what not. I thought the point was not to eat any animal product? so why want it to taste like an animal? I tend to go raw veggies mostly for this reason.

lol there is no way to cook tofu to taste like an animal.

Uhh, yeah. Tofu isn't a way to get things to taste like meat and tofu isn't a very processed product. Even people who eat 'meatless hot dogs' or whatever else you might buy in the grocery store are buying such because they probably grew up eating meat and although they don't want to eat a dead animal, it is something familiar to them.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I saw this on a shirt at the Minnesota State fair today. It says it all. " I did not climb to the top of the food chain just to become a vegetarian."

LOVE IT! :drinker:

Card Carrying Carnivore here!!

See that snake I'm holding in my profile pic?

I ATE him! :laugh: j/k

Actually, I have eaten rattlesnake, while in Arizona on a business trip. Not bad.

Okay.

The rattlesnake you know = not okay to eat.

The rattlesnake you don't know = rattle-snack.

I get it now.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Omnivore
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i eat a lot of meat and so far i have lost close to 50 pounds and I'm healthier than i have been in a long time. im actually getting close to the same pant size i had in high school, and my blood pressure is way down. I eat red meat and a lot of eggs about every day, and i try to eat as much fruit, and vegetables as i possibly can, although i need to improve that part of my diet.
  • littlemermaid1048
    Options
    Man eater ;)
    Man eater too! LMAF!!! food eater....meat/vegetables welcome. :))
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Vegetarian.

Meat is NEVER healthy. Most meat eaters trick themselves into believing that's not true. But it's just a myth that meat farmers try to make you believe. So that you buy their meat. So that they still earn money.

And people who say "you can't live without meat where I am" ... yes ... you can. Your local stores don't have beans and veggies? Really? If they don't, you probably aren't getting a balanced diet anyway.

Also ... keep in mind ... that when you're eating meat, you are promoting DEATH. Tell me this ... why should an animal be killed and tortured just so you can have some tasty food? Why are you so much better than that animal? Why can't you get that delicious taste somewhere else? (Ex. veggie burgers, veggie chicken, veggie sausages, etc. ... trust me, they ARE available ... and DELICIOUS at that)

Yeah, I feel pretty strongly about being a vegetarian. Maybe it's just because I have empathy and actually feel sorry for things that die?
    I'm working on becoming a vegan. I don't eat eggs but I do eat some milk products on occasion. Very rarely though. Working to cut it out completely!
    a lot of animals die during the production of grains ,and soy during harvesting ,or prepping for harvest. its just a matter of where we draw the line, but we all promote lifestyles that kill animals.

There is a difference between intentionally killing, and accidentally killing. Even our penal code recognizes that. Veganism is an ethic, and do I think it is a superior ethic? Of course I do. If I didn't I wouldn't be one.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian.

Meat is NEVER healthy. Most meat eaters trick themselves into believing that's not true. But it's just a myth that meat farmers try to make you believe. So that you buy their meat. So that they still earn money.

And people who say "you can't live without meat where I am" ... yes ... you can. Your local stores don't have beans and veggies? Really? If they don't, you probably aren't getting a balanced diet anyway.

Also ... keep in mind ... that when you're eating meat, you are promoting DEATH. Tell me this ... why should an animal be killed and tortured just so you can have some tasty food? Why are you so much better than that animal? Why can't you get that delicious taste somewhere else? (Ex. veggie burgers, veggie chicken, veggie sausages, etc. ... trust me, they ARE available ... and DELICIOUS at that)

Yeah, I feel pretty strongly about being a vegetarian. Maybe it's just because I have empathy and actually feel sorry for things that die?
    I'm working on becoming a vegan. I don't eat eggs but I do eat some milk products on occasion. Very rarely though. Working to cut it out completely!
    a lot of animals die during the production of grains ,and soy during harvesting ,or prepping for harvest. its just a matter of where we draw the line, but we all promote lifestyles that kill animals.

There is a difference between intentionally killing, and accidentally killing. Even our penal code recognizes that. Veganism is an ethic, and do I think it is a superior ethic? Of course I do. If I didn't I wouldn't be one.

it's not accidental killing if you know that animals are there and will die during harvesting. So cant say it's accidental.
  • Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm a meat eater, but living with a vegetarian I quite like vegetarian food! Sometimes, I need my meat, but it is more a taste/texture thing than a "OMG, PROTEIN NOW!" thing.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Vegetarian.

it's not accidental killing if you know that animals are there and will die during harvesting. So cant say it's accidental.
    [/quote

You know, I am really touched by the concern that meat eaters have for animals that may be killed in the harvesting of vegetables and grains. The only think I don't understand is why don't you show that same concern for the animals you eat. Never mind, there is such a thing as Karma. You kill the cow, the cow kills you.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/12/red-meat-death-heart-cancer
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i have notice that about vegetarians and vegans they think their better then the meat eaters. Heres my thoughts if you don't wanna eat meat who cares, If you wanna eat meat who cares. Do I feel sad when I eat animals? No. Does it bother me to see animals get killed for food? No. It does bother me to see animals die from sport. When a lion kills a another animal for food it isn't pretty and the animal is still alive when it's eaten. We are also animals. If we were not suppose to eat animals then why does it taste so good? why don't I get sick when I eat meat? My great grandma lived to 93 and she ate meat daily healthy or not she was fine and lived a ripe old age. My point people can have their own choice on what they eat. Doesn't make someone better or not. People look for any reason to up one on someone else.

We aren't all bad :/

As an agnostic with many a bashing from the religious type (no offense to the good religious types out there, I know you are out there), I like to compare this with religion. The veggies/vegans who bash meat eaters give us a bad name, but we're not all self-righteous *kitten*! haha. You just don't notice the good ones, because we are the ones talking and laughing with you in the lunchroom, eating our tofu stir fry while saying (and thinking) nothing of your turkey on wheat.

Seriously, self-righteous vegetarians, QUIT IT!!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian.

[/quote

You know, I am really touched by the concern that meat eaters have for animals that may be killed in the harvesting of vegetables and grains. The only think I don't understand is why don't you show that same concern for the animals you eat. Never mind, there is such a thing as Karma. You kill the cow, the cow kills you.

just showing how hypocritical you are.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    Given the choice, I'd be a pescatarian. or however you spell it. I vastly prefer fish and veggies to meat. But it's meat that I know how to safely cook, so I'm an omnivore.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but to say animals are killed in the production of harvesting grains is the same thing as eating meat is just plain stupid.

What you're referring to are small mice or insects that might die accidentally here and there during production VS.

27 MILLION animals are killed EVERY DAY for food in the US alone.

Doing your best to alleviate suffering is a lot different than doing nothing.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Vegetarian.

[/quote

just showing how hypocritical you are.

I'M hypocritical!!!? Wow. I guess our penal code is hypocritical too. When you don't try to kill, and you don't want to kill, it is not the same thing as being a bloodthirsty killer.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    I'm sorry, but to say animals are killed in the production of harvesting grains is the same thing as eating meat is flat out stupid.

What you're referring to are small mice or insects that might die accidentally here and there during production VS.

27 MILLION animals are killed EVERY DAY for food in the us alone

Hear, hear!
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    i have notice that about vegetarians and vegans they think their better then the meat eaters. Heres my thoughts if you don't wanna eat meat who cares, If you wanna eat meat who cares. Do I feel sad when I eat animals? No. Does it bother me to see animals get killed for food? No. It does bother me to see animals die from sport. When a lion kills a another animal for food it isn't pretty and the animal is still alive when it's eaten. We are also animals. If we were not suppose to eat animals then why does it taste so good? why don't I get sick when I eat meat? My great grandma lived to 93 and she ate meat daily healthy or not she was fine and lived a ripe old age. My point people can have their own choice on what they eat. Doesn't make someone better or not. People look for any reason to up one on someone else.

As an agnostic with many a bashing from the religious type (no offense to the good religious types out there, I know you are out there), I like to compare this with religion. The veggies/vegans who bash meat eaters give us a bad name, but we're not all self-righteous *kitten*! haha. You just don't notice the good ones, because we are the ones talking and laughing with you in the lunchroom, eating our tofu stir fry while saying (and thinking) nothing of your turkey on wheat.

Sorry, I am vegan and I am proud of it. And if you feel that talking about being vegan is "self-righteous," then you shouldn't be on a thread entitled, "Meat eater, vegetarian or vegan."
  • beckykempf
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 6 years, it was an ethical decision for me, but there are health benefits. Since cholesterol comes from animal products, it's easy to keep my cholesterol levels where they should be. Being a vegetarian doesn't make you slim, though. I'm ovo lacto which means I still eat dairy products and eggs, so I can still eat desserts made with eggs (brownies, cookies, cakes, etc..) and cheese! Hence my current efforts to lose weight!
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    I like the term 'vegan pescetarian' :-P
    So during the week mainly vegan, sometimes an odd egg , and on the weekends I go pescetarian (also love me some cottage cheese :-D).
    I went off meat a couple of months ago, and have been strict vegan on and off. It's just a preferance, I grew up eating meat but just realised I don't NEED it to reach my goals and I don't crave the stuff.
    Love experimenting with vegan dishes and love my fish n egg treats on weekends.

I have no problem whatsoever, if someone has their meat daily and can't imagining life without it. None of my business. What certainly pisses me off is when ppl come up to ME and try and criticize MY eating-style. Srsly, I know what I'm doing and have done enough research to know what I need to keep me going!

:flowerforyou:
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Sorry, I am vegan and I am proud of it. And if you feel that talking about being vegan is "self-righteous," then you shouldn't be on a thread entitled, "Meat eater, vegetarian or vegan."

Do you think you are better than non-vegans?

If you do, you are, by definition, self-righteous.

If you don't, I was not referring to you. So please have a lovely morning :)