Meat eater, vegetarian or vegan?? Which are you?

Options

Replies

• ASDavis72
    ASDavis72 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I eat fish and poultry, gave up red meat and pork 20 years ago because I didn’t like the way they made me feel, I gave up shell fish 2 years ago. My husband is a pescatarian; I can’t see giving up meat entirely.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've really considered going vegetarian but the truth is I'd miss things like steak, bacon, and BBQ ribs way too much.
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm a meat eater, but I decided to go vegetarian for the month of September just because.
  • jparks341
    jparks341 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Being a lacto-ovo-pescatarian vegetarian & MFP has help me lose 31lbs and achive a 13.1% body fat. Meat eater or vegan, all things in moderations get results.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I love meat!!!! LOVE IT! Its delicious!!!!!

Ive heard different things.. meat is good for you.. meat is bad for you...

thoughts?

Honestly you're going to hear people tell you either way. You'll have some people tell you meat is just horrible and others tell you it's the world's most perfect thing to consume.

Personally, I don't like how it slows down my digestive system and how animal fat was the cause of the cholesterol reading I got recently so I don't eat it. If someone wants to I feel it's their choice and they'll have to face the consequences, but I was once a cheese fiend so I say people can change. I do have meat subs sometimes but rarely and they are not my main source of protein as you'll have people probably tell you that you'll have a protein defiency if you don't eat meat (which is false), and you'll also run into people here telling you that animal proteins are the secret to weight loss which isn't true either.

I feel better not eating meat. I'm also a certified fitness instructor and trained for two months prior to my certification on a meat-free diet. So no I don't have any issues with protein or building muscle. Would I harp on other people to be vegetarian? No, because I think a person has to make that realization on their own and that it cannot be forced upon someone. Like losing weight. You can tell your friend everything about it, but if they haven't decided to lose weight it's not going to do anything. Do I think americans eat too much meat? Yes. Do I think there are way more foods more nutrition than meat? Yes.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Vegan here. This is my second time around with veganism. I have been vegetarian for most of my life.

I know many many vegans and vegetarians that eat processed foods. My natural food store is filled with the stuff. Veggie peeps are not immune to the world of processed food stuffs.. They have hippie style pop tarts, and all kinds of stuff filled with saturated fat and tons of sodium for peeps like us too.

Check out your local natural food store and check out the center isles. I think that you will find that it looks similar to your local grocery mart only the product names are a little different.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Not being disrespectful, but I've honestly never understood vegans/vegetarians. If eating meat was so bad, the human race would have become extinct long before they'd invented the internet. LOL I also do not understand why they would choose not to eat meat but then choose to ingest all sorts of chemically altered, processed, food-like additives that they must add to many foods to recreate either textures/flavors that can be derived naturally with the use of animal products. Ah well, to each his/her own. Just leaves more steak for me to enjoy.

I am a vegan...and I completely agree with your statement about chemically altered processed foods....I dont understand why some vegans mimic meat dishes with tofu and what not. I thought the point was not to eat any animal product? so why want it to taste like an animal? I tend to go raw veggies mostly for this reason.

lol there is no way to cook tofu to taste like an animal.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Meat eater. A good steak is my favorite.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am a meat eater; I just don't eat game meats, lamb, duck, and I eat very little pork. But I say yes, to beef, chicken, and lots of fish, eggs and dairy products.

I love vegetables and fruits (eat a lot of that) and grains, but I am a protein junky and I could not get my "fix" without animal products, unless I had several proteins smoothies during the day, and that is not very satisfying to me.

I noticed that most vegan and some vegetarians, only get about 40 to 50 grams of protein a day, and most of their nutrients came from carbs; I can't do that. I get more fuel for my workouts and daily life from protein than from carbs.

My husband is more of a meat lover than me, so going vegan or vegetarian would mean cooking two kinds of meals. That is NOT an option in my book. But that is just me, so I respect others people food preferences.
  • GetxFightedxxx
    Options
    I would say pescatarian. I love fish, but I refrain from eating any other types of meat. It's a personal choice and I have no problem with someone that consumes or loves meat!
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian, for ethical and health reasons.
  • justbeingbetty
    Options
    Full fledged vegan but both of my kids are omnivores.
  • jimzisa
    jimzisa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a carnivore, but here's the kicker: ALL of my health numbers, and my weight loss, improved noticeably in just 2 weeks after dropping everything but fish and adding in a lot of vegetable protein sources (e.g. 4 oz of organic black beans has exactly the same protein content as 4 oz of beef - who knew?). I'm still not completely sold on the idea of giving up meat, I just buy a lot less now and focus on the truly organic stuff (no preservatives or gluten in or on it).
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Meat eater!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan because I like to challenge myself and so far a year later it has stuck. My hubby eats meat and so do my kids, to me it's all the same, I don't have an opinion either way.
  • MissShancey
    Options
    im an omnomnomavore
  • vegmomma
    vegmomma Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian!!! I would love to be a vegan and it is something I have tried (and failed at) but I want to try it again. It is not because giving up the dairy was difficult but because it is inconvenient. I gave up meat because it actually made me sick. That was 7 years ago. Now it is also because of ethical reasons.

Do I think eating meat is bad for you. Yes I do. I have read too many articles/books to believe otherwise. No one will sway my opinion, and yes it is my opinion, and no one has to agree with me.
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Vegan for almost a year. Mostly raw and 70% fruit as of a month ago. I have more energy than ever and feel amazing!

I went vegan because I could never shoot or slaughter another sentient being, so why would I hire someone else to do it for me (i.e. what you do when you buy it at the grocery store). Plus eating something made out of blood, veins, flesh and tendons, or animal secretions completely disgusts me now. As far as being healthy, there is much debate, but it is proven that cholesterol clogs arteries, which causes heart disease. Cholesterol doesn't exist in plant foods. You can get all the nutrients you need from plants, besides B12 (but most meat-eaters are deficient and need to supplement B12 as well).

<<As you can see, I'm far from deprived. My breakfast this morning was frozen banana 'ice cream' with raspberry sauce. Yummo! :)
    has it actually been proved cholesteral from food clogs arteries? if so i would love to see the research. and please no correlation studies. my understanding is the body produces its own cholesterol.
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian.

Meat is NEVER healthy. Most meat eaters trick themselves into believing that's not true. But it's just a myth that meat farmers try to make you believe. So that you buy their meat. So that they still earn money.

And people who say "you can't live without meat where I am" ... yes ... you can. Your local stores don't have beans and veggies? Really? If they don't, you probably aren't getting a balanced diet anyway.

Also ... keep in mind ... that when you're eating meat, you are promoting DEATH. Tell me this ... why should an animal be killed and tortured just so you can have some tasty food? Why are you so much better than that animal? Why can't you get that delicious taste somewhere else? (Ex. veggie burgers, veggie chicken, veggie sausages, etc. ... trust me, they ARE available ... and DELICIOUS at that)

Yeah, I feel pretty strongly about being a vegetarian. Maybe it's just because I have empathy and actually feel sorry for things that die?
    I'm working on becoming a vegan. I don't eat eggs but I do eat some milk products on occasion. Very rarely though. Working to cut it out completely!
    a lot of animals die during the production of grains ,and soy during harvesting ,or prepping for harvest. its just a matter of where we draw the line, but we all promote lifestyles that kill animals.
  • knw32183
    knw32183 Posts: 47
    Options
    I love meat!!!! LOVE IT! Its delicious!!!!!

Ive heard different things.. meat is good for you.. meat is bad for you...

thoughts?

I'm NO Doctor or Nutrionist...LOL Obviously b/c I'm on here trying to lose 100 pds, but heard great things about the blood type diet and certain ppl like type Os reap from meat and As reap from veggie diet...here one link I like...Hope it helps.....http://www.drlam.com/blood_type_diet/:flowerforyou:
    Checked that out to see what it's all about found out I shouldn't be eating any of the things I eat every day (type b) Sooo, I guess my bloods just gonna have to man up, cuz I'm not giving up chicken or tomatoes, or any of the other 5 million things I love to eat:noway: