Meat eater, vegetarian or vegan?? Which are you?

Options

Replies

• EmmaMay93
    Options
    Vegetarian for nearly 5 years now. Tried going vegan for a while but it proved very difficult and I ended up eating MORE of the things I COULD.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm an ex vegan/vegetarian. Vegan for 5 years, Vegetarian for 3. My partner eats meat, so it was too hard to cook extra meals, so I eat meat a few times a week, but when I cook for myself or go out, I eat vegetarian.

Don't really care about the taste of beef/pork/chicken but I do like fish. Dislike cheese - cheese seems like the big deal breaker for peeps who want to go vegan.

Most annoying thing when I was vegan was just my pure existence pissed off meat eaters, I never opened my mouth regarding ethics/ why I was doing it - they'd just find out and unload on me why I shouldn't be vegan and how vegans are jerks.

With that said, people need to respect others. What we eat is our choice.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Carnivore.

Everything in moderation works best for me.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm an ex vegan/vegetarian. Vegan for 5 years, Vegetarian for 3. My partner eats meat, so it was too hard to cook extra meals, so I eat meat a few times a week, but when I cook for myself or go out, I eat vegetarian.

Don't really care about the taste of beef/pork/chicken but I do like fish. Dislike cheese - cheese seems like the big deal breaker for peeps who want to go vegan.

Most annoying thing when I was vegan was just my pure existence pissed off meat eaters, I never opened my mouth regarding ethics/ why I was doing it - they'd just find out and unload on me why I shouldn't be vegan and how vegans are jerks.

With that said, people need to respect others. What we eat is our choice.

Good point about your pure existence as a vegan ticking some people off. I've been vegetarian for almost 40 years, and I used to experience this acrimony a lot when I was younger. Now that I'm older with a few wrinkles and gray hair to my credit, I think some people treat me with a little more grace. My kids (ages 17 and 20) are non-confrontative vegetarians, who rarely even mention it unless asked pointedly, but they are still frequently criticized and mocked when their food choices tip their hand. Might be an age thing.
  • nikilovesaxl
    Options
    Vegetarian (almost vegan except that I eat eggs and use normal cheese).

Best decision I ever made :heart: .
  • HannahK08
    HannahK08 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Lots of awesome replies :) My intention was not to make anyone angry! I have vegetarian and vegan friends and totally respect them! I even eat vegan cheese and meals every now and then (I LOVE sauteed tofu stuffed bell peppers!!) I do agree that its horrible to see animals killed in absurd manners.. growing up in the country we always knew how our meat was killed and before they served their purpose they lived happy hormone/cage free lives! I do respect vegans and vegetarians because to me that seems like you would have to be super dedicated.. but Im probably wrong lol!!!

I love reading everyones thoughts :)

-Hannah
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If it had a face, give me a taste.

LoL.... ^
  • turbophoenix
    Options
    I'm a total carnivore, baby! I loves me some meat! Rawr!
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Vegan! I LOVE the taste of meat and cheese, but morally I can't go back. I've found a bunch of other new foods and flavors that I love now!
  • Snoopaloop63
    Snoopaloop63 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I recently stopped eating meat as a main course and use meat now as sort of a side dish or flavoring, like in asian cooking. The added bonuses of this are lower cholesterol AND I can afford to buy local, organic, grass-fed beef and free-range chicken. I don't miss it plus get the benefits of eating less meat!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of that scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding when the aunt gets all upset that he's vegetarian and she's so confused she says it's ok and she'll make him sheep instead (at least I think it was sheep). I think that people are just insensitive sometimes. I don't mind either way and completely understand that it's a lifestyle choice.

Anyway, I have friends who all have different eating habits. I'm a meat eater but I don't eat large amounts - just small amounts. I do eat veggies and fruits and sometimes legumes. I always buy cage free eggs and wish I had better options on beef but it's insanely expensive. I also am now completely gluten free (not by choice - wheat allergy) which means my meals can get pretty complicated.
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Not being disrespectful, but I've honestly never understood vegans/vegetarians. If eating meat was so bad, the human race would have become extinct long before they'd invented the internet. LOL I also do not understand why they would choose not to eat meat but then choose to ingest all sorts of chemically altered, processed, food-like additives that they must add to many foods to recreate either textures/flavors that can be derived naturally with the use of animal products. Ah well, to each his/her own. Just leaves more steak for me to enjoy.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I am an omnivore - just as God intended. :)

AMEN
  • Cortbear80
    Options
    I was a vegitarian for 11 years and now I eat everything. I LOVE BACON! :P
    I say unless you are allergic to something (i.e. you break out in hives or die...) I see nothing wrong with eating meat...anymore anyway....
    It's all about moderation though. :)
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, but I'm a bovo-lacto-porko-pollo-pescatarian. I still eat beef, dairy, pork, chicken, and fish.
  • jodilo88
    jodilo88 Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm definitely a meat eater. I mostly only eat chicken, but on the rare occasion we will have foods with ground beef or pork chops or steak. My boyfriend and I are definitely NOT fish people though...except for his love of sushi.
  • strider1789
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian and I initially lost a lot of weight, but I made the mistake that many vegetarians make: I replaced meat with carbs and gained the weight back in fat. I'm back to eating meat but stick to mostly white meat (I naturally prefer to avoid red meat). So I mostly eat vegetarian with splashes of whatever meat I feel like! Moderation's the thing!
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I eat everything! lol! (as in all kinds of meat and veggies). Most of our dinners consist of a meat and a vegetable, although I do make vegetarian meals only occasionally.
  • MuscleJunkieK8
    Options
    Meat! Meat has iron, it has nutrients. I need that iron very badly. So I am a MEAT EATER.
  • Snoopaloop63
    Snoopaloop63 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, but I'm a bovo-lacto-porko-pollo-pescatarian. I still eat beef, dairy, pork, chicken, and fish.

Haha yes that brings up a whole debate I had with someone once. If you call yourself a vegetarian then you should only be eating vegetables, because most people who call themselves vegetarians eat everything except meat. Actually they are non-meat eaters. Cutting meat out of your diet shouldn't be the only requirement to be called a vegetarian, Pasta and rice are not vegetables.

I don't care what people eat, I just think it's funny to call yourself a vegetarian when all you've done is cut out meat.