MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    In reasons *not* to go vegan: Bacon.

I rest my case.

She said it best.
  • glonigan
    glonigan Posts: 82
    Options
    I am happy for people who find a eating plan that works for them, even Vegans. I just disagree with the premise of it based on the dental records of mankind. As others have stated, we were designed to eat meat and have all of the parts to do so and digest it properly.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    In reasons *not* to go vegan: Bacon.

I rest my case.

You can get loads of really good vegan bacon and ham. I don't like it because it smells so much like the real thing during cooking!

Ok, one, I was kidding around. I mean I do like bacon, and I will not stop eating meat, but I understand that it's because I want to.

And two, I don't just eat meat because it's tasty, though it is. I eat meat because it makes me feel at my best. Not bacon, really, but lean meats especially and a decent portion of red meat make me feel at my best and most energized. Do I agree that there are better ways to raise and harvest meat? Absolutely I do. But do I think veganism is the solution? Absolutely not. My body was made for processing meat, and I see nothing wrong with consuming it from a 'moral' stand point.

Three, please don't ever say vegan bacon again. That's very nearly against my bacon religion. :laugh:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Not sure why people think it's funny or cute to reply with "I love meat" I mean really who cares? It's your own body, put what you want into it for all I care, just don't start crying that you can't lose weight or get sick as a result of it.

Many people are seeking vegan diets now for health reasons so that's how this is relevant. Can you be unhealthy and vegan, of course. But if done properly it can be a very healthy diet which can lower risks of certain diseases as even the ADA says.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Without debating whether it's good/better/best to be vegan, that study is seriously flawed. Always think critically when someone extrapolates their results and makes sweeping, broad conclusions that have nothing to do with the actual data collected.

Problems just in reading your blurb:

1) Mice are not humans
    2) Mice are naturally herbivores
    3) They were fed the chemical....doesn't say how much
    4) Just being fed a chemical..of course it's going to suck for them
    5) Who was the study funded by? ALWAYS ask this question...
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I haven't come across a single good reason for going vegan.

Here's one: More meat for the rest of us! :bigsmile:

Doesn't knowing you've lead to the death and sometimes torture of hundreds if not thousands of animals make you feel bad?

Doesn't it bother you that you've contributed to the death of thousands of innocent fruits and vegetables that were doing nothing other than minding their own business and growing happily in the sun?

You know very well that fruit and vegetables are inanimate. It's a rights issue just like racism or homophobia. In the future people will look back on meat eating in the same way we now view the slave trade.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    Not even a little bit. We are meant to eat meat!! Does the lion feel bad for eating the gazelle? Hell even the grizzly bear last week for eating the human? The answer is no, therefore I don't either.

That's a really bad argument. Just because a wild animal does one thing doesn't mean we should follow its example just because we're animals too, otherwise using this argument we could justify rape.Try again.
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    during my "vegetarian" phase (which thank GOD only lasted 15 days), i tried several different "bacons" not a single one of them tasted like or had the texture of the real stuff. the ONLY meat sub i found that was remotely similar was the "chicken" patties.

FYI - Turkey bacon is actually not too bad for sandwiches or salads or things where it's not the main feature. :flowerforyou:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    There aren't enough reasons to make me consider going vegan. I don't care what anybody else eats, unless you're into eating human babies, which I'm definitely not cool with. But you know what I mean.

Humans are omnivores by nature. Our pointed canines aren't like that arbitrarily. My dog would kill a bird and probably eat part of it (of course after dragging it in to show it to me), does that make her "cruel"? No, it makes her a dog. Just as me putting my canines to use makes me a human who chooses to eat meat. Being mindful of where your meat and dairy products come from is always a good idea, just like knowing if your strawberries are covered in pesticide or not.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    You know very well that fruit and vegetables are inanimate.

Not always.
  • meggonkgonk
    Options

Here's one: More meat for the rest of us! :bigsmile:

Doesn't knowing you've lead to the death and sometimes torture of hundreds if not thousands of animals make you feel bad?

Doesn't it bother you that you've contributed to the death of thousands of innocent fruits and vegetables that were doing nothing other than minding their own business and growing happily in the sun?

You know very well that fruit and vegetables are inanimate. It's a rights issue just like racism or homophobia. In the future people will look back on meat eating in the same way we now view the slave trade.

Seriously? How about we focus on actual rights issues, with actual sentient people. Then we can debate the level of cognizance of cows and chicken.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Not even animal welfare, the environment or health benefits?

how is eating cheese from farm raise cattle abusive to cattle or the environment? i understand avoiding consuming an animal product that was produced by inhumane methods, but that doesn't require one to go vegan.

and i actually believe that it is not in health's best interest to go vegan.

Why do you believe it's not in "health's best interest to go vegan"?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Thank God I'm not a mouse!
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    LOL! Mice are not built to digest meat compounds so yes they will have adverse reactions. Humans are built to eat meat and veggies and grains. Meat does not in itself cause weight gain. It is an excellent source of many of the compounds we need to function properly. We have survived on a variety of foods for millions of years and this silly vegan business has only been around for a blink in human history. To my knowledge there is not one lifelong vegan over 100 yrs old and there are hundreds of us omnivores who make it to ripe old ages.

That's only because veganism hasn't existed as a movement for that long. "This silly vegan business" - Would you say Christianity etc. was silly, because it's about ethics and similar to a religion. You shouldn't be so ignorant.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hm.. hope that the mice being exposed to the meat diet don't turn into ravenous carnivores and devour a scientist's finger clean off.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Animal testing to prove a vegan diet?

lol

Nice catch :laugh:
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    during my "vegetarian" phase (which thank GOD only lasted 15 days), i tried several different "bacons" not a single one of them tasted like or had the texture of the real stuff. the ONLY meat sub i found that was remotely similar was the "chicken" patties.

FYI - Turkey bacon is actually not too bad for sandwiches or salads or things where it's not the main feature. :flowerforyou:

Turkey bacon vs real bacon is like *kitten* vs actual sex. Sure, the prior will provide some satisfaction, but why settle when you can have the real thing?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mouse.

Kill it and grill it.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Not even a little bit. We are meant to eat meat!! Does the lion feel bad for eating the gazelle? Hell even the grizzly bear last week for eating the human? The answer is no, therefore I don't either.

That's a really bad argument. Just because a wild animal does one thing doesn't mean we should follow its example just because we're animals too, otherwise using this argument we could justify rape.Try again.

My point is that humans are predators, just like the lion, the bear,etc. I hunt and kill several animals every year to feed my family and do not feel bad in the slightest. It is what we as a race have evolved in to.
This discussion has been closed.