As if There Weren't Enough Reasons to go Vegan

Options

Replies

• joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Some of you are so cruel as to say that you don't care for animal welfare.

its not that i dont care for animal welfare. i have 2 dogs that i love and take very good care of. but there is a difference between pets and wild animals and animals that are raised for the purpose of becoming someones dinner. pets are to be loved, wild animals are to be hunted and the rest, well i think thats pretty obvious
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options

"Evil acts"=eating meat?

I was gonna say something, but then decided.....you know what, you go ahead and think I'm evil.

I said it was an evil ACT. There's a difference between doing an evil act and being an evil PERSON.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    Lastly, I'd like to thank everyone who does eat meat... without all your hard work, all of the cows and pigs would reproduce unchecked and soon outnumber us. There would be no food left. Chaos would prevail. Thank you. :laugh:

The number of cows and pigs in the world today wouldn't exist if humans didn't eat meat. Also most farm yard species would probably go extinct.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Options
    I'm pretty sure all meat eaters are just as bad as Hilter. In the future, we'll be seen just like that.

Reductio ad Hitlerum in an attempt to end the silliness.

Hitler was a vegetarian, I believe.

No, that's a myth. He actually had crohn's disease and gave up sausages and so on for months at a time on doctors orders. He resumed eating meat during the breaks.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I may not physically require meat to live, but I would not suggest being around me if I can't have it when I crave it. Just ask my husband. Chocolate, jelly beans, chips... I'll happily forgo those things. But. Not. Meat.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Options
    Some of you are so cruel as to say that you don't care for animal welfare.

Oh we care for it. We just think animals have a higher purpose than just manure producers (at least in the case of cows). In order for something to live, something else has to die. The human body needs protein in order to live and animals just happen to be an excellent source of that protein. How convenient, eh?

In most cases, we don't slaughter innocent animals (unless they're creepy like spiders or mosquitos...how does a vegan justify that, I wonder) just for the sake of the slaughter, but so that we can live. There is nothing cruel about that. It's just a part of life.

Vegans don't kill anything, including ones that are "creepy like spiders or mosquitoes" in your words.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    this topic is amusing. and i though *i* have said some stupid stuff that couldn't be topped..
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    I may not physically require meat to live,

So you agree with me.Ok.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Options
    I am not vegan. I am a ovo-lacto pescetarian vegetarian by necessity (I eat eggs, milk products, fish and vegetables)

I choose not to eat meat because I have medical issues processing Uric Acid. I choose not to suffer from seriously debilitating gout (trust me you don't want it either). That being said... I do miss me some bacon wrapped beef tenderloin. :laugh:

Lastly, I'd like to thank everyone who does eat meat... without all your hard work, all of the cows and pigs would reproduce unchecked and soon outnumber us. There would be no food left. Chaos would prevail. Thank you. :laugh:

With all due respect that last paragraph of yours is the most stupid thing I've read in a long while.
  • K_Smith86
    K_Smith86 Posts: 123
    Options
    Vegan or not, it's a personal choice that shouldn't be shoved down the throats of people. After reading all the comments, the first thing that came to mind was, "don't people remember The Lion King? When Mufasa is explaining the Circle of Life to Simba?"

It worked for the caveman, it worked for the Native Americans, it still works to this day. Simple as that. But to each their own, and whatever makes them happy. Hakuna matata :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan. I am a ovo-lacto pescetarian vegetarian by necessity (I eat eggs, milk products, fish and vegetables)

I choose not to eat meat because I have medical issues processing Uric Acid. I choose not to suffer from seriously debilitating gout (trust me you don't want it either). That being said... I do miss me some bacon wrapped beef tenderloin. :laugh:

With all due respect that last paragraph of yours is the most stupid thing I've read in a long while.

And with all due respect, everything you've written is really, really sanctimonious. Yet no one has called you stupid. Lay off.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I haven't come across a single good reason for going vegan.

Here's one: More meat for the rest of us! :bigsmile:

Doesn't knowing you've lead to the death and sometimes torture of hundreds if not thousands of animals make you feel bad?

Doesn't it bother you that you've contributed to the death of thousands of innocent fruits and vegetables that were doing nothing other than minding their own business and growing happily in the sun?

You know very well that fruit and vegetables are inanimate. It's a rights issue just like racism or homophobia. In the future people will look back on meat eating in the same way we now view the slave trade.

Okay... I was OBVIOUSLY kidding. But you comparing animals to the plight of people of all backgrounds and beliefs is way, way beyond the pale. People will not look back and think of this issue in the same light as the slave trade. People will not look back on this and think about it in the same vein as the same-sex marriage debate. That you seem to value animal rights that much more than human life is, well, deeply disturbing to me. But hey, that's my view and I have a right to it - just as you have a right to yours.

Also, I'm fairly sure that animals eat each other in the wild. I don't think they feel bad about the pain they inflict when they kill each other to survive. It's how nature has always worked. But I'll change my stance when I see all of the carnivorous animals of the world taking up veganism, joining PETA, and renouncing their past bad acts.

I'll also be waiting for pigs to fly and for monkeys to play Mozart. We'll see which of those happens first.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options

how is that any more stupid than comparing meat eating to racism, homophobia, and slavery? lol
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    delete
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Vegans don't kill anything, including ones that are "creepy like spiders or mosquitoes" in your words.

Ummm....you don't wash? Hate to break it to you, but there are these colonies of microscopic critters that live on your skin that get killed when you hit them with soap and water. Not all of them, but there are casualties.

Frankly, if you want to be vegan, fill your boots. What you eat is your own business. When you feel that you need to start passing sanctimonious value judgements on what I eat as a means to reinforce your own choices - don't be surprised when I push back.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I want some steak

Same.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Cavemen grilled meat, they lived..... happy.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

With all due respect, I was joking! But obviously you don't understand what "With all due respect means".
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    crap im hungry
  • ScorpionReaver
    Options
    I haven't come across a single good reason for going vegan.

Here's one: More meat for the rest of us! :bigsmile:
    THIS :)
This discussion has been closed.