As if There Weren't Enough Reasons to go Vegan

Replies

• hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    during my "vegetarian" phase (which thank GOD only lasted 15 days), i tried several different "bacons" not a single one of them tasted like or had the texture of the real stuff. the ONLY meat sub i found that was remotely similar was the "chicken" patties.

FYI - Turkey bacon is actually not too bad for sandwiches or salads or things where it's not the main feature. :flowerforyou:

Turkey bacon vs real bacon is like *kitten* vs actual sex. Sure, the prior will provide some satisfaction, but why settle when you can have the real thing?

Turkey bacon provides more satisfaction then bacon for me.

Whatever gets you off. *smirks*
  • My point is that humans are predators, just like the lion, the bear,etc.

The difference is that we can choose to be predators or not, lions and bears don't have this luxury. I still don't see why we shouldn't feel bad about it because other animals do it.
    I personally don't feel too bad about it because animals don't have the capacity to feel the same way about being slaughtered as we do.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    I have Points on my teeth, Claws, Forward facing eyes, and ears on the side of my head. I am By definition a predator!!

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat tofurkey.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Not even a little bit. We are meant to eat meat!! Does the lion feel bad for eating the gazelle? Hell even the grizzly bear last week for eating the human? The answer is no, therefore I don't either.

That's a really bad argument. Just because a wild animal does one thing doesn't mean we should follow its example just because we're animals too, otherwise using this argument we could justify rape.Try again.

My point is that humans are predators, just like the lion, the bear,etc. I hunt and kill several animals every year to feed my family and do not feel bad in the slightest. It is what we as a race have evolved in to.

I thought your original point was that humans are above animals? Then you compare yourself to a lion. Fact: humans have free will therefore although we are capable of evil acts (for example eating meat, having the teeth capable of doing this) we have the choice not to. That's what makes us different from animals.

"Evil acts"=eating meat?

I was gonna say something, but then decided.....you know what, you go ahead and think I'm evil.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    I'm pretty sure all meat eaters are just as bad as Hilter. In the future, we'll be seen just like that.

Reductio ad Hitlerum in an attempt to end the silliness.

Hitler was a vegetarian, I believe.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    I'm pretty sure all meat eaters are just as bad as Hilter. In the future, we'll be seen just like that.

It's official then...I'm WORSE than Hitler!
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    My question is to what extent are vegans relying on chemically-altered, oil-based "meat" and "cheese" substitutes, which seems to me to be defeating the purpose, both psychologically and nutritionally?

If being vegan means eating plenty of whole foods without subsisting on fake substitutes and supplements, then I say go for it. Especially if you've also given up leather and wool...
  • Ge0rgiana

Do you drink? If so, I'm starting to think you're the great Satan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler's_vegetarianism
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Some of you are so cruel as to say that you don't care for animal welfare.

Oh we care for it. We just think animals have a higher purpose than just manure producers (at least in the case of cows). In order for something to live, something else has to die. The human body needs protein in order to live and animals just happen to be an excellent source of that protein. How convenient, eh?

In most cases, we don't slaughter innocent animals (unless they're creepy like spiders or mosquitos...how does a vegan justify that, I wonder) just for the sake of the slaughter, but so that we can live. There is nothing cruel about that. It's just a part of life.
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member

Oh we care for it. We just think animals have a higher purpose than just manure producers (at least in the case of cows). In order for something to live, something else has to die. The human body needs protein in order to live and animals just happen to be an excellent source of that protein. How convenient, eh?

In most cases, we don't slaughter innocent animals (unless they're creepy like spiders or mosquitos...how does a vegan justify that, I wonder) just for the sake of the slaughter, but so that we can live. There is nothing cruel about that. It's just a part of life.

Yeeeeppppp!!:drinker:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    My question is to what extent are vegans relying on chemically-altered, oil-based "meat" and "cheese" substitutes, which seems to me to be defeating the purpose, both psychologically and nutritionally?

If being vegan means eating plenty of whole foods without subsisting on fake substitutes and supplements, then I say go for it. Especially if you've also given up leather and wool...

Some vegans do rely on these products, especially during their transition but some after that don't after a time and others always do. Personally I do not use the vegan cheese often because it's high in fat like regular cheese and I just don't have much of a taste for it anymore. But I think their point is that they can have many foods like before but no one had to suffer for it if that makes sense.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member

Sadly, I've become a teetotaler in my old age. Sorry to fall short of the mark. :-)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    LBt6j.gif
  • Ge0rgiana

Sadly, I've become a teetotaler in my old age. Sorry to fall short of the mark. :-)

Yeah, I'd like to, but microbrew beer and wine is just so GOOD.

Hey, that's vegan, right? :bigsmile: Ok, I'ma shut up now. Everyone carry on with whatever diet you like and whatever works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member

Spiders and mosquitoes are not animals duhhhh hahahaha :laugh: :tongue: but they are fun to smash but I am doing it for the lesser bugs that could not kill and eat those kinds of insects or arachnids etc....:flowerforyou: Its always who know you on the top of the food chain to pull the lesser some strings for them from time to time... lol
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    I am not vegan. I am a ovo-lacto pescetarian vegetarian by necessity (I eat eggs, milk products, fish and vegetables)

I choose not to eat meat because I have medical issues processing Uric Acid. I choose not to suffer from seriously debilitating gout (trust me you don't want it either). That being said... I do miss me some bacon wrapped beef tenderloin. :laugh:

Lastly, I'd like to thank everyone who does eat meat... without all your hard work, all of the cows and pigs would reproduce unchecked and soon outnumber us. There would be no food left. Chaos would prevail. Thank you. :laugh:
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    I have Points on my teeth, Claws, Forward facing eyes, and ears on the side of my head. I am By definition a predator!!

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat tofurkey.

Dude, you didn't fight your way up any food chain.
  • but so that we can live.

We don't need meat to live.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Hitler wasn't vegetarian lol google it
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Prefer venison steak myself :happy:

P.s im available for testing should they decide to use human guinea pigs
This discussion has been closed.