As if There Weren't Enough Reasons to go Vegan

Options

Replies

• Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    ehh... aren't mice vegans? maybe this study is just good for vegans, perhaps just the vegans should be very careful to avoid eating meat?

No, mice are omnivores.

But I see where you were going with that.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Geez this is like my step mom telling me humans have the digestive tract similar to that of a cow, and that we are to graze on grass like cows because we do not have canine teeth like wild animals (which uh yeah we do!)

And that our bodies really only need 30g of protein because protein depletes the calcium in the body. Funny how she could not answer if I eat mostly protein, why are my calcium levels right on target?

Things that make you go hmmmmmm

How about we just take it with a grain of salt (preferably added with some tequila and lime) and move on to the next theory.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't the human race have become extinct long ago if this bogus research had any legs? Seriously people. Can we use our common sense to question junk science every now and again?

If you are going to critique carefully conducted scientific studies, please point to specific issues with the research, not just that you don't happen to agree with the results.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Some of you are so cruel as to say that you don't care for animal welfare.

Oh I care.... I care very much.

Happy animals taste better.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Eating a vegan diet = 1st world problems.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    BEFORE YOU BECOME A VEGAN - I HAVE A SOLUTION.

Since "dry heat" is the culprit...Use a smoker: Water pan = moist heat.

AND - it is delicious...yummmm...pork loin, ribs, turkey, chicken, salmon, brisket, etc.
  • sexynatasha
    Options
    Sorry I'm having a nice piece of rump steak for my dinner tonight mmmm
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Vegans are getting to be as bad as Evangelicals. Sheesh. Keep it to yourself.
    They are not as bad ... They are worse
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Some of you are so cruel as to say that you don't care for animal welfare.

Oh I care.... I care very much.

Happy animals taste better.
    :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    To add another reason from something I read this morning, plants actually can switch off some genes making cancer-trouble in the body, so that's a positive reason to eat plants:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120827152050.htm
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

You can get loads of really good vegan bacon and ham. I don't like it because it smells so much like the real thing during cooking!
    [/quote]

This I have never understood, being vegan but eating foods that mimic meat! Coo coo crazy!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I may not physically require meat to live,

So you agree with me.Ok.

Pretty much.

I believe we're natural omnivores. Evolved that way as the best means for us to survive.

However in this day an age we've taken ourselves out out of the food chain and have enough protein sources without actually killing other animals for their meat. I also happen to believe that meat is the best source of protein for us to ingest.

This doesn't mean that I think vegans are wrong for their choices.

I would just like the militant ones to knock off telling me I'm a cruel and bad person because I don't care to do what they do.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Geez this is like my step mom telling me humans have the digestive tract similar to that of a cow, and that we are to graze on grass like cows because we do not have canine teeth like wild animals (which uh yeah we do!)

And that our bodies really only need 30g of protein because protein depletes the calcium in the body. Funny how she could not answer if I eat mostly protein, why are my calcium levels right on target?

Things that make you go hmmmmmm

How about we just take it with a grain of salt (preferably added with some tequila and lime) and move on to the next theory.

lol at your step mom as I believe cows have stomachs with compartments almost like having 2.

1The Rumen – this is the largest part and holds upto 50 gallons of partially digested food. This is where the ‘cud’ comes from. Good bacteria in the Rumen helps soften and digest the cows food and provides protein for the cow.

2. The Recticulum his part of the stomach is like a humans stomach and is connected to the intestines. Here, the food is finally digested by the cows stomach juices and essential nutrients that the cow needs are passed through the bloodstream..

In fact they them cows can mow down a whole over grown field of weeds and such have your step mom join them and have her find out for herself.. lol :laugh:
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    You know very well that fruit and vegetables are inanimate. It's a rights issue just like racism or homophobia. In the future people will look back on meat eating in the same way we now view the slave trade.
    You're joking right? African American friends and GLBT community members: tell me, do you think people eating meat is comparable to the injustices you've suffered?

Yep. That is pretty offensive. And clueless.

I ashamed for you. To even compare it is sad, really sad, and clueless.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't the human race have become extinct long ago if this bogus research had any legs? Seriously people. Can we use our common sense to question junk science every now and again?

If you are going to critique carefully conducted scientific studies, please point to specific issues with the research, not just that you don't happen to agree with the results.

Success in evolutionary terms is making it to a point of sexual maturity, which was probably the late teens in prehistoric terms. I know I hope for greater longevity than that, and at least a cancer-free existence, and I don't think I'm unusual in that hope.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    Chemical found in grilled meat that is linked to weight gain, diabetes, etc.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/26/grilled-meat-weight-gain-diabetes_n_1828486.html?utm_hp_ref=healthy-living

In a new study in mice, researchers have found a link between a compound produced when food is cooked with dry heat -- like over a grill -- and weight gain, insulin resistance and diabetes.

Interestingly, I don't know that this is a good argument for veganism, the very same compounds may well be produced when I grill tofu or eggplant.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    You know very well that fruit and vegetables are inanimate. It's a rights issue just like racism or homophobia. In the future people will look back on meat eating in the same way we now view the slave trade.
    You're joking right? African American friends and GLBT community members: tell me, do you think people eating meat is comparable to the injustices you've suffered?

Yep. That is pretty offensive. And clueless.

I ashamed for you. To even compare it is sad, really sad, and clueless.

People once widely believed that people with darker skin tone (i.e. Africans) were less than human, and could be treated in inhumane ways, at some level, this is not much different than thinking that animals can be treated in inhumane ways.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options

With all due respect that last paragraph of yours is the most stupid thing I've read in a long while.

And with all due respect, everything you've written is really, really sanctimonious. Yet no one has called you stupid. Lay off.

I called his statement stupid. I didn't say he was a stupid person.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Okay....
    1) Mice are not humans. Because they do not share our physiology, they are not the best model for how the human body metabolizes things.
    2) Unfortunately the complete article is behind a pay wall, so I can't get into specifics on the methodology, study length, etc, but the conclusion stated is that there MAY be a relationship. Correlation is not causation.

Is that a good start?
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Vegan or not, it's a personal choice that shouldn't be shoved down the throats of people. After reading all the comments, the first thing that came to mind was, "don't people remember The Lion King? When Mufasa is explaining the Circle of Life to Simba?"

It worked for the caveman, it worked for the Native Americans, it still works to this day. Simple as that. But to each their own, and whatever makes them happy. Hakuna matata :)

Right, a Disney film about the lives of animals who don't have any other options. Right. Any other academic links?
This discussion has been closed.