As if There Weren't Enough Reasons to go Vegan

Options

Replies

• Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Vegan cat food? Really?

Talk about taking away an animal's natural diet.

Sorry. I had to post this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRSLQu-d6ZQ
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    C) If you like. Meat is still medically linked to bowel cancer though.

There is some evidence that red and processed meats may raise one's risk for bowel cancer. But this is not true of all meat.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    A) Vegans are against animal testing. We don't buy any products tested on animals, such as shampoo etc.

How do you know? I can understand a specific brand claiming to have not done the testing, but how do you know that all the ingredients weren't tested on animals by another company?

We research it and write to the company. N-Spa, Original Source and some Superdrug own brand products are all vegan as in no animal ingredients, not tested on animals and not containing ingredients tested on animals. These are all mainstream products found in supermarkets in the UK.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Options
    What about kitty in your avatar? is he wild?

He's not mine. The photo was taken on holiday.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    A) Vegans are against animal testing. We don't buy any products tested on animals, such as shampoo etc.

How do you know? I can understand a specific brand claiming to have not done the testing, but how do you know that all the ingredients weren't tested on animals by another company?

We research it and write to the company. N-Spa, Original Source and some Superdrug own brand products are all vegan as in no animal ingredients, not tested on animals and not containing ingredients tested on animals. These are all mainstream products found in supermarkets in the UK.

By releasing a product with ingredients not tested on other animals wouldn't they just be testing on humans (which are animals)?
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Options

By releasing a product with ingredients not tested on other animals wouldn't they just be testing on humans (which are animals)?

Humans can give consent. Animals can't.
  • tabitha2770
    tabitha2770 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    well said
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    My questions are:

A. Why are vegans who are vegan for animal rights reasons ok with testing mice?

Most are not. I would do the testing on meat eating humans.

B. Why aren't all vegans, who are vegan for animal rights reasons, pro-life? Are you against fetal pig dissection in science class? Seems to me there's a huge hypocrisy there. Until all vegans decide they're prolife, I see no reason to follow suit.

Until all pro lifers are vegan, I see no reason to become pro life.

C. If grilling causes this chemical, why not bake meat, instead? There's more than one way to cook a slab of tasty animal.

Because it is still meat, Bucko. You just can't cook the poison out of meat.

http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=/14783_37A77270738242845D5BD61203693660_journals__BJN_BJN105_01_S0007114510003004a.pdf&cover=Y&code=fda044f8e878d1750e528452fc6608c7

• mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If it's just for your health, then I truly hope you know what you're doing because it's extremely difficult to go vegan and also maintain good health.

I have to politely disagree. I follow a plant-based diet and I am in perfect health according to my doctor and recent bloodwork (just done w/in the last week!)

Veganism is a lifestyle, not just a diet. I say plant-based diet because I do have leather shoes, belts, etc. My dogs eat dog food made from meat and so on.

I didn't say it wasn't possible to be healthy on such a diet! :) I know lots of people who are, but more who are not. You have to be informed and know what you're doing, so I assume (hopefully correctly) that you do.

You are absolutely correct, you do have to be informed. Veganism/vegetarianism/plant-based does not equal automatic good health. I've done a lot of research and continue to do so in order to live the healthiest I can.
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    these threads never stop as soon as 1 ends within a day another starts.
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Vegan cat food? Really?

Talk about taking away an animal's natural diet.

Cats should NOT be fed a vegan diet. It is extremely dangerous and can kill your cat.

Please read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/706563-feeding-a-cat-as-a-vegan
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That's only because veganism hasn't existed as a movement for that long. "This silly vegan business" - Would you say Christianity etc. was silly, because it's about ethics and similar to a religion. You shouldn't be so ignorant.
    Christians were persecuted and killed before gaining mainstream acceptance. I don't think getting flamed on an internet message board is *quite* the same.

But to put it in the same terms, you probably wouldn't take kindly to me espousing heavy Christian ideals on here as the only morally righteous way to live.

meggonkgonk wins the internet!!!
  • WillardsMommy1
    Options
    I don't understand the point of this post and disagree with everything herein enough to actually make me reply to something on this site. (shudder)

I think everyone has their own personal reasons for the lifestyle they choose to live. I have many reasons why I am vegetarian but I choose not to share them or try to persuade anyone else to replicate my lifestyle because obviously, everyone else has THEIR own reasons for their lifestyle whether it be omnivore, carnivore and any other kind of -ism -ore -arian. And obviously since the reason that I am so persuaded in my lifestyle is a cause of my own beliefs, anyone else that has their own different beliefs will be equally as persuaded in their own.

The OP should have put this in the Vegan Group where it would be met with support. Posting it in the general forums clearly was just to get loads of responses. In other words....Troooollllllll.

Excuse my grammar
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    these threads never stop as soon as 1 ends within a day another starts.

Back when I first went vegan in 1974, there wasn't breaking nutrition news most days of the week, like there is now. I would say the reason these threads seem endless is because the topic comes up a lot in the media. Several books on the diet best-seller list for 2012 are on veganism. So the topic is hot, just as paleo is right now.
  • spark409
    spark409 Posts: 96
    Options
    pretty sure bob harper is eating meat now
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You could NOT come up with enough reasons to make me give up meat. I love it. Chicken is the bomb and steaks yeah I want them still mooing when they get put in front of me. And don't get me started on the pig meat, just the thought makes me drool.

But hey you go for it.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    You could NOT come up with enough reasons to make me give up meat. I love it. Chicken is the bomb and steaks yeah I want them still mooing when they get put in front of me. And don't get me started on the pig meat, just the thought makes me drool.

But hey you go for it.

I agree but it seems like the whole Vegan cult coo coo izm wants every one to quit eating meat and maybe drink the cool aid at Jones town.. :drinker:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    LOL @ shock wave
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    That's only because veganism hasn't existed as a movement for that long. "This silly vegan business" - Would you say Christianity etc. was silly, because it's about ethics and similar to a religion. You shouldn't be so ignorant.
    Christians were persecuted and killed before gaining mainstream acceptance. I don't think getting flamed on an internet message board is *quite* the same.

But to put it in the same terms, you probably wouldn't take kindly to me espousing heavy Christian ideals on here as the only morally righteous way to live.

meggonkgonk wins the internet!!!

You like me! You really like me! :blushing: I have so many people to thank for this internet...
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    here are some good reasons.... http://nutritionfacts.org/video/uprooting-the-leading-causes-of-death/

you know, reducing your risk of dying of the things most people in our meat eating society die of...! if it's normal to drop dead of a heart attack, then maybe you should be rethinking 'normal'...
This discussion has been closed.