As if There Weren't Enough Reasons to go Vegan

Options

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    here are some good reasons.... http://nutritionfacts.org/video/uprooting-the-leading-causes-of-death/

you know, reducing your risk of dying of the things most people in our meat eating society die of...! if it's normal to drop dead of a heart attack, then maybe you should be rethinking 'normal'...

We all die eventually. Vegans and meat eaters alike die of heart disease and cancer.

If you want to be vegan, you should be. If you want to eat meat you should. You should do what you want to do, because the reality is, you could die tomorrow from any number of causes.
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is not healthy for anyone or thing including water. So what is the point of this again? I respect those who are vegetarian and enjoy a meatless day even weeks, but I hate restricting myself from eating what I love and when I want a good piece of beef, chicken, fish/shellfish or pork I eat it.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You could NOT come up with enough reasons to make me give up meat. I love it. Chicken is the bomb and steaks yeah I want them still mooing when they get put in front of me. And don't get me started on the pig meat, just the thought makes me drool.

But hey you go for it.

I agree but it seems like the whole Vegan cult coo coo izm wants every one to quit eating meat and maybe drink the cool aid at Jones town.. :drinker:
    Most vegans that i know have been meat eaters, and then tried being vegan, and liked it better. When we try to share that information with others, we are called a cult and things like that. I used to feel the same way about crazy hippy vegans, but that was because i had never given an animal-product-free diet a proper trial.

What if you had found a way to a longer and happier life and then shared it with me, but instead of being grateful, i laughed at you and called you "coo coo"?
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    here are some good reasons.... http://nutritionfacts.org/video/uprooting-the-leading-causes-of-death/

you know, reducing your risk of dying of the things most people in our meat eating society die of...! if it's normal to drop dead of a heart attack, then maybe you should be rethinking 'normal'...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/08/worlds-oldest-person-besse-cooper-turns-116/

"I mind my own business and I don't eat junk food."

Fantastic advice from Ms. Besse Cooper
  • beckajw
    Options
    You could NOT come up with enough reasons to make me give up meat. I love it. Chicken is the bomb and steaks yeah I want them still mooing when they get put in front of me. And don't get me started on the pig meat, just the thought makes me drool.

But hey you go for it.

I agree but it seems like the whole Vegan cult coo coo izm wants every one to quit eating meat and maybe drink the cool aid at Jones town.. :drinker:
    Most vegans that i know have been meat eaters, and then tried being vegan, and liked it better. When we try to share that information with others, we are called a cult and things like that. I used to feel the same way about crazy hippy vegans, but that was because i had never given an animal-product-free diet a proper trial.

What if you had found a way to a longer and happier life and then shared it with me, but instead of being grateful, i laughed at you and called you "coo coo"?

The Paleo people say the same thing. That they are living longer happier lives eating meat.

Why does either group believe it is the ONLY way?

That is the issue. It's great that you feel healthier and are happy. But there are people who are just as happy eating meat and healthy eating meat.
  • Rocbola
    Options

But hey you go for it.

The Paleo people say the same thing. That they are living longer happier lives eating meat.

That is the issue. It's great that you feel healthier and are happy. But there are people who are just as happy eating meat and healthy eating meat.
    Personally, i like the paleo diet, other than the meat. They eat a lot of whole, unprocessed, plant based foods. We can go back and forth on meat, and whether it's natural, or healthy to eat, but the one thing that all diet styles seem to agree on is this: Fruits and vegetables are good. The more whole raw unprocessed plant food you eat, the better you will be. If a person goes from eating the standard American diet, to eating an unprocessed "Paleo" diet, that includes some meat, as well as fresh greens, and fruits, they are eating a lot better than they were previously, and will feel tons better. I still think the OPTIMAL human diet includes very little, if any, animal products.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    still think the OPTIMAL human diet includes very little, if any, animal products.

optimal for what though?
  • beckajw
    Options

But hey you go for it.

Personally, i like the paleo diet, other than the meat. They eat a lot of whole, unprocessed, plant based foods. We can go back and forth on meat, and whether it's natural, or healthy to eat, but the one thing that all diet styles seem to agree on is this: Fruits and vegetables are good. The more whole raw unprocessed plant food you eat, the better you will be. If a person goes from eating the standard American diet, to eating an unprocessed "Paleo" diet, that includes some meat, as well as fresh greens, and fruits, they are eating a lot better than they were previously, and will feel tons better. I still think the OPTIMAL human diet includes very little, if any, animal products.

But that is where you are wrong. Not everyone who goes Paleo or Vegan feels tons better. Many feel exactly the same. It's great that you felt tons better, but don't assume that everyone will.

Likewise, with cholesterol numbers, etc. Those who go Vegan say "look how much better my numbers are". Those who go Paleo say "look how much better my numbers are". Those who just eat a typical "balanced" diet also say "look how much better my numbers are."

When it comes to diets, everyone has their favorite. What works for you won't necessarily work for someone else.

While you believe the optimal human diet includes very little meat, Paleo's and other low carbers believe the opposite to be true. What both groups have in common--decreased calorie intake and decreased weight.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    still think the OPTIMAL human diet includes very little, if any, animal products.

optimal for what though?
    Optimal for life. Longevity, cognitive ability, athletic ability, etc. Just about every aspect of life improves when you make the switch to whole foods, plant based diet.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Not everyone who goes Paleo or Vegan feels tons better. Many feel exactly the same.
    Many people do it wrong. Many people who make the switch don't eat enough overall calories, or they eat too many grains, or too many nuts. NO MATTER WHAT BODY TYPE YOU ARE: Your health will improve if you include more fruits and vegetables in your diet.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

But hey you go for it.

Thing is I am happy the way I eat and I am way happy in life. One major difference between me and Vegan cult nuts is that I don't go running around using an experiment on a mouse and claiming it to be another reason to go Vegan to convert people to your extremist beliefs and using that really bad example about some mouse getting fat from a substance in meat.... really??? Or try to convert the every one in the world not to eat any more meat or use any type of animal products in cloths or what ever because they are poor little animals. Most of us omnivorous people don't go running around all coo coo trying to get people to change their ways and or lifestyles and to try to convert folks to join some cult group with extremist ways, so yes because of that added cult like approach tward's others it makes you vegan's sound coo coo.

Oh btw we are not mice. :smokin:

***POST EDITED BY STAFF for violation of guideline number 12***
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • beckajw
    Options
    Not everyone who goes Paleo or Vegan feels tons better. Many feel exactly the same.
    Many people do it wrong. Many people who make the switch don't eat enough overall calories, or they eat too many grains, or too many nuts. NO MATTER WHAT BODY TYPE YOU ARE: Your health will improve if you include more fruits and vegetables in your diet.

Now you are making a different argument. Although, I still don't agree. First you said no meat. Now you're saying increase fruits and veggies.

You believe what you want. And tell people it works great for you. Just don't expect everyone to jump on your wagon and cheer.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Now you are making a different argument. Although, I still don't agree. First you said no meat. Now you're saying increase fruits and veggies.

You believe what you want. And tell people it works great for you. Just don't expect everyone to jump on your wagon and cheer.
    You don't agree that fruits and vegetables are good for you? Wow. Good luck to you.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Geez this is like my step mom telling me humans have the digestive tract similar to that of a cow, and that we are to graze on grass like cows because we do not have canine teeth like wild animals (which uh yeah we do!)

hahaha oh my gosh, this part killed me! That's hilarious.. humans digestive tracts are so different than ruminant animals! Ahhh.. too funny.

I guess everyone else is giving their two cents, so I may as well give mine (pennies are becoming outdated soon anyway). I've been vegetarian for 9 years now initially due to animal welfare reasons (factory farming). I in no way look at myself to be superior than a person that eats meat. I just think that it is important that people know where their food comes from. It's fine that you want to eat meat, but I think that we should respect the animals that we are consuming. This means giving them an environment that provides adequate space, shelter, diet, etc. It just upsets me seeing animals confined and viewed as meat producing machines rather than actual living beings.

I have great respect for those who are able to raise their own animals for consumption because they know exactly what is being put into that animals body and how it was treated prior to slaughter. It's the quality of life that matters to me.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options

But hey you go for it.

Thing is I am happy the way I eat and I am way happy in life. One major difference between me and Vegan cult nuts is that I don't go running around using an experiment on a mouse and claiming it to be another reason to go Vegan to convert people to your extremist beliefs and using that really bad example about some mouse getting fat from a substance in meat.... really??? Or try to convert the every one in the world not to eat any more meat or use any type of animal products in cloths or what ever because they are poor little animals. Most of us omnivorous people don't go running around all coo coo trying to get people to change their ways and or lifestyles and to try to convert folks to join some cult group with extremist ways, so yes because of that added cult like approach tward's others it makes you vegan's sound coo coo.

Oh btw we are not mice.
    3215_image.jpg

Er... I hope you realise that the vast majority of modern medicines are tested on mice.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Options
    All the vegans I know smell funny and hate sports.

Obvious troll is obvious...
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

optimal for what though?
    Optimal for life. Longevity, cognitive ability, athletic ability, etc. Just about every aspect of life improves when you make the switch to whole foods, plant based diet.

then what are my boobs for again?
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Options

optimal for what though?

then what are my boobs for again?

What...?
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Animal testing to prove a vegan diet?

lol

See the irony here. lmao
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You do realize that mice are primarily herbivores? The way their bodies react to meat is very different from how we would react to it.

Why would our bodies react differently? There is a reason mice are used for so much testing. Humans are born herbivores my friend. We just simply choose to ignore what our bodies are designed for in favor of what satisfies our pleasure center. Check out this link:

http://www.waoy.org/26.html
This discussion has been closed.