men, does the "I'll kick your *kitten*" male/male trump card...

Options
taylor5877
taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
Motivate you for at least part of your training?...

Personally, it was one of the main in my life as I started training for football. I like being strong to this day partly because I liked the power of manhandling someone on the field.

I'm not saying we're all fighters, but whether or not you think you can kick someone's *kitten* does come into the psyche more often than most would probably care to admit.

Of course I didn't mean this thread to be serious so answer knowing that.

Replies

• _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes it does.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I played hockey for several years and I have been in my fair share of fights and I have "loss and won" fights on both accounts.
    hat being said when our teams would meet again and that guy you recently beat the crap out of makes eye contact and then looks away it can be very empowering..
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAozBgPUXRM

Football was in my background too, so I would have to agree that dominance is a definite motivator. I feel the need to train harder than anybody else at the gym so I can be the biggest badass alive. I'm not that way, but I train like I'm going to be
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    First things first, you don't have to be the biggest guy there to win the fight. Sure, bigger guys will intimidate a lot of smaller guys, but fighting is an art. Some of the smallest people I know are the best fighters.

To answer your question directly, no, being able to say "I'll kick your *kitten*" never played into why I run and work out. My reasons are far more superficial and allow me to maintain my hedonistic lifestyle.

I have the added benefit of knowing that I can talk my way out of any fight that I'd talk myself into. Worst case scenario, I end up in the next morning's paper.
    -wtk
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    It used to. A lot especially during my first year of lifting. Honestly, I never even think about it any more. I never have anyone that wants to fight me. I dont really ever want to fight anyone...so no, I dont really care. But it is nice knowing I can deadlift 3x more than any dude I am likely to ever see. And that I look better than them. I care about that more.

Just knowing I am stronger than almost every guy is much more empowering. Not the *kitten* kicking part. Just the masculinity aspect. I love that part.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, yes it does. I took serious martial arts training for 12 years and do think I can kick almost anyones *kitten*.

I dont think it often, I have been trained to never be the aggressor, but if someone is trying to bully me or if I need to stand up to someone in support of another that thought always goes through my mind even though I try to always present a calm demeanor.

BTW, I have only been in a couple of fights outside of the ring in my whole life and did not start either of them. Most people I know dont even know that I have this skill set.

I do use this mentality to push myself though...."one more rep or I'll kick your (my) *kitten*. LOL
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    My reasons are far more superficial and allow me to maintain my hedonistic lifestyle.
    Damn I love this honesty!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I size up everyone I encounter.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I really get into the I can lift more than you mentallity. I never like the I can kick you *kitten* comparison cause I have sceen a bunch of little dudes that would rock me cause they have training.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6JUKliffOU9XJ6pS__byP9MjftZsGcyqsCILae1FjBj0ZZW5KSQ&t=1
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I generally have more of an "I Will Beat My *kitten* Today To Kick Yours Tomorrow" kind of attitude.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    OP! Pipe down or I'll kick yer *kitten*!

(I kid, I'm too damn old to worry too much about that bullsh!t anymore.)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have a wife and two daughters and the "need/desire/instinct" to want to be able to protect them is an influence on me wanting to be stronger and in better shape.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I don't "size people up" - in school, I was the "fat nerd" stereotype, so I never was on the winning side of a fight. That mentality tends to stick with you for a very long time. It's 15 years since I graduated, and I still don't like confrontation. I was a kung fu instructor for 5 years, and one of the many lessons I taught was "looks can be deceiving". That 140 lb grappler can take down a 350 lb power hitter with the right techniques.

Competition? That's a different story. I love to see where I rank amongst colleagues, and to try to get better. Out of the 7 events in highland heavy athletics, I'm especially good at one of them. Holding that "top of the mountain" rank is what pushes me to do better, and the other events follow suit.

So, no - I don't think "I'll kick your *kitten*." I think "I'm gonna outlift/outthrow/outthink your *kitten*" (I use to compete in math competitions before I started with physical activities).
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Not at all.

I am short and frail, more of a brain than a brawn. Most guys I see with the need to be "stronger" tend to have immense issues with control. With so much technology and various means of "protecting" as well as "harming", the need to be "stronger" or "more fit" etc. is greatly diminished. Unless somehow your muscles deflect bullets, knives, automobiles, and other random things.

I can honestly see how many would feel more manly, empowered, or what not from it. I honestly do, and also see the sociological evolution of it, as there was a time when such a mentality was quite vital in our species' history.

But, I have never personally felt that need or desire. Maybe growing up always shorter and generally skinnier than most guys made me quickly develop alternatively (I am far better with convincing guys with muscles to help me out rather than using my own lol).
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Statements of motivation. Some are as simple as the Boy Scouts with their Be Prepared motto, some are a bit more agressive like the "I can kick anyone's *kitten*" mantra. The one that always sticks in my head and makes me smile (because I've worked with several like him) goes a littel further with the "pre-game" preparation.

I believe it was Major General Mattis from Iraq saying to his Marines--"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Or for the modest man--"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes; If you *kitten* with me, I'll kill you all."

He would be a very interesting man to meet.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Not in the least. I am not a competitive person by nature.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Not at all.

I am short and frail, more of a brain than a brawn. Most guys I see with the need to be "stronger" tend to have immense issues with control. With so much technology and various means of "protecting" as well as "harming", the need to be "stronger" or "more fit" etc. is greatly diminished. Unless somehow your muscles deflect bullets, knives, automobiles, and other random things.

I can honestly see how many would feel more manly, empowered, or what not from it. I honestly do, and also see the sociological evolution of it, as there was a time when such a mentality was quite vital in our species' history.

But, I have never personally felt that need or desire. Maybe growing up always shorter and generally skinnier than most guys made me quickly develop alternatively (I am far better with convincing guys with muscles to help me out rather than using my own lol).

most fights arent planned. most do not involve guns, knives etc...so all of that technology you mention means nothing in most cases. like you said talking your way out or avoiding it all together is best when you dont measure up.
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    Competition always increases performance. Thats why dudes with partners push themselves harder in the gym than when they roll solo. Also increases test levels, so its nothing but a good thing for you. Thats why my workout partner is my 18 year old brother :bigsmile:

But sure. If you provoke me, Ill definately kick your *kitten*.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    This question makes me think of another:

Given only one of the following, what would most women choose:
    1.) Money (i.e. brain)
    2.) Muscle (except for a very few pro-athletes, i.e. brawn)