WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Cindy, I send you warm thoughts during this difficult time. This may not be a good time for counting calories but be sure that your eating is as healthy as possible so you can be at your best for anything that comes along. trusting God is a great plan.

:flowerforyou: I'm looking forward to watching curling in the Olympics since they never show it on TV here. Sometimes when hubby talks about how he wants to move to Canada, I think about how we could watch curling and a lot more ice skating on TV.

:flowerforyou: hubby took me to lunch today and I got to choose the place so we went back to the Vietnamese restaurant with the great chicken curry. This time I brought half of it home and had it for supper. It was fabulous and definitely worth all the extra time on the exercise bike to burn off all the calories.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: I bought a new scale today. I've been envious of everyone who report their weights to .2 or .4 or .6 so I decided that I wanted a scale for my next weight loss prize. hubby asked if he got a prize, too, and I reminded him that he got a new car last week. :laugh: With all the sodium I had in the chicken curry today, my new scale will probably tell me that I gained five pounds

:smile: We have beautiful, clear, cold weather now with temperatures right at freezing......the full moon over the trees looks like a picture on a holiday card.....the grass is frosty and crunchy on the hill where I walk the dogs and they aren't happy that I won't take them up to the top where is gets really steep.....I walk them alone and in the dark and i don't want to find myself sliding down the hill.

:flowerforyou: rosemary, take good care of yourself.....you've been so good to others.

hugs to all:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barbie, your lunch yesterday sounds great. Good that you didn't eat it all also. I have yet to get the willpower to only eat half of what a restaurant serves me. I went to dinner last night with some friends. I stayed within my calorie allotment with the exception of the Long Island.

:flowerforyou: Cindy, you and your family are in my prayers.

Well, it is back to work.:mad:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    My husband made my flight reservations to go to TX early Friday morning. My sister-in-law is still here and maybe I'll get there before she dies. I'm just putting that in God's hands. If I need to tell her bye in person He will keep her here till I get there and if not then I know I will see her again one day whole and happy & healed. Most of the family has gotten there already and the Hospice Angels are there around the clock.

I've kept to my calories pretty well this week and have done good with my water so I'll just keep at it taking things one day at a time.

I'll decide on my December goals when I get back home.

Cindy

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you prepare for your sister-n-law's home-going. I agree with all the other ladies. Drink lots of water and don't worry about the calories until things settle down a bit. Also when you get home, be sure to get at least 15 minutes of sunshine daily. :glasses: Vitamin D helps beat the blues.

:flowerforyou: I'm pleased to report those pesky Thanksgiving weekend pounds are now gone as well as and extra inch off my abdomen and hips since I measured the Wednesday BEFORE Thanksgiving. This is the smallest I have been in about 12 years. :happy:

Today I'll be burning calories by deep cleaning my MiL's kitchen. All us local DiLs are meeting to get her house ready for company coming in for the Christmas Brunch this weekend. It blessed me to learn she had specifically requested that I do the kitchen cuz my MiL was an immaculate housekeeper in her day.
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning Ladies

Jeannie - The curling is actually done inside in an arena with specially prepared ice.

Mary - Sorry your jealous (I actually never do anything that anyone would be envious of - quite a treat!) TSN covers most of the games (if you have it) I'm getting excited now. To make it more exciting, a team from my hometown has qualified to play. Its so cool to think that a team from Thunder Bay could be playing in the Olympics.

Last nights' concert was great. Nice to hear Christmas tunes. And of course my son was the most handsome - again:laugh: :laugh:

Boss Alert - catch you later
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Rosemary I'm sorry you are having to deal with family health issues. I said a prayer for you this morning. I did have to chuckle over how it feels to be slap happy. Maybe that's God's way of lightening the load just a little.

My daughter is travelling to TX with me tomorrow. I'm thankful for that because I've only been on an airplane 2X.

Thanks for all the kind words and prayers. Suzy: I love the sunshine and my Carolina Blue skies. I am hoping the weather will be fair in TX. Right now it looks that way and I'm hoping to at least get in some walks while I'm there.

I've had my healthy oatmeal w/blueberries this morning but haven't decided on the rest of the meals for the day.

Maybe that can be my goal for Dec. Making a weekly food plan. I usually play it by ear and do okay but my husband would really like me to do better in this area. And as we all know planning in advance works so much better.

Yeah, I have on a pair of jeans I couldn't have worn a month ago! Not quite as comfortable as I would like but very doable.

My best friend's sister-in-law had a radical mastectomy this morning. Her name is Lou and send up prayers for her would be appreciated. Pray that the cancer hasn't spread to the lymph nodes. Lou is also the primary caregiver for her 94 year old mother.

I hope you all have a good day & make wise choices.

Cindy
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    OK Computer wiz, Barb....I have a question. I Edited my profile & I put my State in and it won't show up. I don't care to put my town in...is that it????
    BirdieM:huh:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    OK Computer wiz, Barb....I have a question. I Edited my profile & I put my State in and it won't show up. I don't care to put my town in...is that it????

Your question alerted me to a change in display since the new version of MFP was rolled out. I looked at my own profile and noticed the STATE was no longer showing on it as it had previously.:noway: I also didn't put the town in on my profile, so I tried an "experiment" I typed a "*" in the city and resaved the info. Now my state shows. :drinker:

So to solve the problem, just type something in the city field in your profile info, and your state will then show.

This is a reminder for anyone else who previously had only their state showing for location. If you look at your profile now, you will see that the state is not showing any longer, so if you want it to, you will need to do what I just described.:flowerforyou:

Cindy,

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope you and your family get through this difficult time with support from one another. Take are of yourself.

Rosemary,

I hope everyone is going to stay healthy at your house for a while. It sounds like you had quite a day.

Barbie,

You and your curry have inspired me to plan to have something with curry for dinner tonight.

The house will be quieter than usual today as the "three little pests" :heart: are spending most of the day at the vets. I subscribe to a monthly health plan that includes 2 complete exams each year and includes an annual teeth cleaning, so it is very nice to be able to get all this done at once and not have to take a wheelbarrow full of $$$$ in with me to pay for it!!:laugh:

I had all kinds of ideas about what I could get accomplished without my "helpers" being underfoot, but I didn't sleep well last night, so what seems to be most desirable at the moment is a NAP!:yawn: See you later.

Barb
  • arborsong
    Options
    Cindy,

Nice to see you are in the Carolinas. So am I and I love it here!

Louise
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Nice to see you are in the Carolinas. So am I and I love it here!

Louise

I have lived here all my life. We are in the Triad area. Pleasant Garden (southeast side of Greensboro). Where are you?

Cindy
  • BirdieM
    Options

Your question alerted me to a change in display since the new version of MFP was rolled out. I looked at my own profile and noticed the STATE was no longer showing on it as it had previously.:noway: I also didn't put the town in on my profile, so I tried an "experiment" I typed a "*" in the city and resaved the info. Now my state shows. :drinker:

So to solve the problem, just type something in the city field in your profile info, and your state will then show.

This is a reminder for anyone else who previously had only their state showing for location. If you look at your profile now, you will see that the state is not showing any longer, so if you want it to, you will need to do what I just described.:flowerforyou:
    Barb

You're the best!!!!! Thanks!
    BirdieM:wink:
  • arborsong
    Options
    Cindy - I'm in Matthews - a suburb of Charlotte. I sort of see this guy in High Point and my child is in Raleigh so I travel I-85 from Charlotte to Raleigh regularly.

Louise
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just checking in...it is 30' in Nebraska today! Brrrrrr...My leftover Thanksgiving dishes are finally gone. I enjoyed eating small portions this past week, but I am glad they are gone. There is a pink lemonade pie in the freezer still, but it can stay there for all I care. It is best to keep the temptations at bay and stick with my eating plan. The water is going good, but need to vamp up the exercises. My daughter and I will probably get started back on Minna. She is very good, but I can't seem to find more of her tapes anywhere. Good day to you all!:flowerforyou:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I had a very long day at school today. I work as a paraprofessional with special ed students at the high school. The teacher that I work with went in the hospital yesterday, and today died unexpectedly of a heart attack this morning. I spent the day with very upset students, trying to be strong myself. I don't even want to go in tomorrow, but know I must. I think I will take my dog for a walk in the cold air now. Later -
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I weighed myself this morning on my new scale and I weighed more than yesterday. I don't know if that's because of the new scale or the high sodium consumption yesterday. I'll see what happens over the next few days.

:flowerforyou: Becky, I learned the trick about taking half of my food home from someone I'd never met before who was sitting across from me at a big dinner party at a restaurant. Before he ate anything, he drew a line down the middle of the plate with his knife and ate only what was on one side of the line. I usually eat the salad because if you take it home in the same container with the rest of the food you can't heat the whole thing in the microwave.

:flowerforyou: SuzyQ, you are such a great DIL....your MIL is so blessed to have you....how great that your weight is on the way down again and your middle is thinning down......you have worked so hard to achieve this great outcome

:flowerforyou: Barb, thanks for the suggestion to put a symbol in field for city in my profile so the state will show up. I hope everyone will do that so we can check and see where everyone lives.

:flowerforyou: doobiedoo, you just reminded me of why I was so glad to eat Thanksgiving at someone else's house
    it meant that i didn't have to deal with leftovers. It sounds like you did a great job........last year I ate stuffing, potatoes, and gravy for three meals a day after Thanksgiving.....no wonder I never lost weight.

:flowerforyou: Mary, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss and about your students and the great loss they suffered........I know you'll find the strength to be there for them tomorrow.......rest and exercise and water are your friends this afternoon and tonight and always

:flowerforyou: Brady, I like your idea about "use the restroom, drink some water".......I think I'll add it to my bag of tools.

:flowerforyou: Cindy it sounds like you are making some great healthy and helpful choices during this time of stress......planning ahead (meals and other things) that make all situations go better. congratulations on wearing smaller jeans :smile:

:flowerforyou: I'm so excited that this thread continues on month after month (I've been on it since February) while so many other threads dissolve and all the members go their own way.........we are the true spirit of "never, never, never give up"........thank you all for continuing to be there for me and for each other.
    :heart: :heart: :love: :love: :smooched: :smooched: hugs, Barbie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I weighed myself this morning on my new scale and I weighed more than yesterday. I don't know if that's because of the new scale or the high sodium consumption yesterday. I'll see what happens over the next few days....

....:flowerforyou: I'm so excited that this thread continues on month after month (I've been on it since February) while so many other threads dissolve and all the members go their own way.........we are the true spirit of "never, never, never give up"........thank you all for continuing to be there for me and for each other.
    :heart: :heart: :love: :love: :smooched: :smooched: hugs, Barbie

Hey Barbie,:flowerforyou:

I hate to point out the obvious, :noway: but if you weigh yourself on your OLD scale right before or after you use the NEW scale, you will be able to tell if there is a difference in your weight or if it is just the variation in the new scale!!!:laugh: Unless, of course, you prefer to blame it on the old scale and not the curry you had on Wednesday!!!:laugh:

I, too, am glad this thread carries on. We have lost some people, like Ann, and some don't post as often as they once did, but we gained a bunch of others. I have learned a lot since joining MFP and find this thread and am thankful for everyone's contribution.

:flowerforyou: Mary, So sorry to hear of the sudden loss of your colleague. I wish you well in your efforts to cope and help your students adjust to the loss.

Barb
  • msh0530
    Options
    Back from my cold walk (wind chill 15 degrees). I think maybe I can face the evening now. I pulled out leftover soup to heat for supper. However, I just realized that apparently I forgot to drink any water today.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I just erased my long response to everyone individually. I'm laughing too hard to be serious and have it sound sincere but all of you facing troubles right now, my thoughts are with you and you are in my prayers.

NOW that I know this much about hurling, I am going to have to search for it and watch it. I never would have thought of "prepared ice", but I guess when you live where there's not a lot of water, you just don't know about these things. I'm still chuckling over it.

As far as moving to Canada goes, we have thought about it and even looked into work requirements for some of the provinces. But, after 2 seasons of Ice Road Trucker (cable TV show for thoses not familiar with the title) we decided that Canada might be just a little too cold for us to adjust to in our old age.

We are having a wonderful snow storm. The schools let out early and are already planning a delay for tomorrow. The kids and teacher hubby are praying for a snow day! I will have to go to work unless the roads are closed, but luckily I can go late and leave early. I am very fortunate to have two wonderful bosses.

Have a nice and warm evening!

JAM
  • msh0530
    Options
    I just erased my long response to everyone individually. I'm laughing too hard to be serious and have it sound sincere but all of you facing troubles right now, my thoughts are with you and you are in my prayers.

NOW that I know this much about hurling, I am going to have to search for it and watch it. I never would have thought of "prepared ice", but I guess when you live where there's not a lot of water, you just don't know about these things. I'm still chuckling over it.

As far as moving to Canada goes, we have thought about it and even looked into work requirements for some of the provinces. But, after 2 seasons of Ice Road Trucker (cable TV show for thoses not familiar with the title) we decided that Canada might be just a little too cold for us to adjust to in our old age.

We are having a wonderful snow storm. The schools let out early and are already planning a delay for tomorrow. The kids and teacher hubby are praying for a snow day! I will have to go to work unless the roads are closed, but luckily I can go late and leave early. I am very fortunate to have two wonderful bosses.

Have a nice and warm evening!

JAM

So now you have me laughing. I assume you meant curling, not hurling, but I am envisioning a team heaving on ice, specially prepared of course, trying for their olympic spot. I'm just not sure how they score such an event! :laugh:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    I, too, am l laughing my head off, First about "hurling" on the ice and then about how I never thought of weighing myself on my old scale this morning and comparing the weight to the new scale.,,,,,in my defense, it was at 5 AM so my brain was not at its best.

I saw a cartoon this morning of a man at the table at Thanksgiving saying, "I have so much to feel thankful for, that I feel guilty". That might be me.

I send warm wishes to all of you who are walking through tough times and still finding things to be thankful for in the midst of all of it.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: Barbie
  • BirdieM
    Options
    Okay guys....now you have ME laughing too!!! :laugh: HURLING...CURLING...WHATEVER...I'm going to hurl myself into bed right now!!:laugh: :laugh:
    Goodnight!!:bigsmile:
    BirdieM:laugh: