WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER

Options

Replies

• BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I had a very long day at school today. I work as a paraprofessional with special ed students at the high school. The teacher that I work with went in the hospital yesterday, and today died unexpectedly of a heart attack this morning. I spent the day with very upset students, trying to be strong myself. I don't even want to go in tomorrow, but know I must. I think I will take my dog for a walk in the cold air now. Later -

Mary,
    Somehow I missed this post! :noway: I'm so sorry! Indeed it must be a difficult and sad situation!:cry: Prayers going up for everyone! Chin up.:frown:
    BirdieM:cry:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this thread.
    Kathy

Welcome Kathy!! Brand new to the thread and you are already an inspiration! :flowerforyou: This is a wonderful and motivational group ready to stand by you. I recently joined and I like MFP for its tracking ability.

Renny
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I just posted my new picture which was taken on Thanksgiving Day this year, with my 3 beautiful daughters and my beautiful granddaughter!:love: While I was downloading the new pictures, I stumbled on the pictures taken this year when we went to Maine!!:noway: :noway: I know I got motivated to do something about my weight when I was there (in Maine) but now I know why:noway: :noway: I rarely take pictures but looking at these...even to me...they were eye openers!!! I had no idea just how noticible my weight gain was until I looked at them!:embarassed: (The last picture was also taken on TD this year, and the 2 before were the ones taken in Maine:noway: ) Thank God MFP was waiting for me upon my return from that trip!:love: It's been a wonderful and fruitful journey ever since:happy: Thank you MFP and all my special friends who are on this journey with me!:love:
    BirdieM:smooched:
    Birdie, you have a beautiful family!!
    -Susan
  • slightingscale
    Options
    I would like to join this thread.....
    Kathy
    Hi Kathy,
    I am in PDX, and my sister lives in Centralia. Welcome!
    Susan
  • slightingscale
    Options
    I just got home from another long hard day. The students organized and led a memorial service ...
    Mary, I'm sorry to hear of your sudden loss. We're attending a service for a close family friend on Monday, also.
    My thoughts are with you and your students.
    Susan
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Prayers for Cindy and her family, for support and healing in trying times.
    When my mother was passing she laid in her bed and was clearly talking although we could not hear her. I asked her what she wanted and she shushed me, and told me, " She was talking to Jesus now." We took such comfort from this.

Mary how difficult to deal with this sudden loss and help the children to deal with it as well. Prayers go out for you as well as her family and the students as they struggle to understand the loss of their teacher.

Nite All, Alice
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Works is crazy. I haven't been tracking my food because I never have time like I used to and then, when I get home, I can't remember everything I ate. Ugh.

Had a killer workout yesterday. My quads and glutes are still feeling it.

Got to see my new bike today. She's a beauty. She needs some parts that are on order but she should be ready next weekend.

This weekend my relay team is running a marathon. Well, one of us is running. Two are run/walking and I'm walking. We're a bunch of gimps and slow pokes! :laugh:

My family is off having fun without me. I didn't want to cook for MacBoy so I stopped at McDonalds and OF COURSE they got my order wrong. I always get a single grilled snack wrap and they gave me a crispy one. The order taker was a moron. I asked for a number 10 and he said "now that's a number 5, right?" Um, in what universe does 10 sounds like five? At least MacBoy really got his 10 and not something else like I did.

Oh well, I did track today and I got in 157 g of protein! I'm trying to get up to 150 g a day so my protein levels go up so I can give blood in my club's blood drive.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I did read the posts and I loved the "curling/hurling" bit.:laugh: I recently discovered curling and think it looks like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, no one else in the family wants to watch with me!
    I'll try changing my ticker later. Right now I have to finish my exercise for the day. (Or it won't get done!)
    Kathy
    [/quote]

Ticker looks great! Way to go, girl!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Mary,

You and Kathy, our new member will have to get together and watch curling since both of you seem to have family members that are not interested in doing so!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Barb
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Kathy, welcome to the thread. This group changed my life. I've learned so much from these women...they've encouraged me and cheered me on......I hope we'll hear from you a lot and get to know you better.....you've made a fabulous start on your journey so we've got a lot we can learn from you.

:flowerforyou: JAM, I thought I was pretty smart about geography but I'm having a hard time with the idea of snow in New Mexico......I'm learning a lot from this thread. :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Barb, I took your advice and weighed on both scales last night and this morning and they say the same thing so now I can trust the new weight and actually "hurl" away the old scale......the new scale was made by the same company but has a larger display, bigger place to put your feet and reminds you of your last weight when you get on to weigh yourself.

:flowerforyou: Vicki, isn't that great to realize that your food preferences have changed and the old unhealthy stuff doesn't taste as good any more.

:flowerforyou: Lianne, when you write your post, look at the top and you'll see "Add Smiley", if you click on that, the little faces will appear.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: We use our faith to walk through a lot of stuff. Every morning hubby and I read some spiritual stuff to each other and today's reading said, "God has left us lots of love notes". I think my friends on MFP are some of the love notes. Congratulations on losing three pounds in November.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: SheilaJane, saying no to birthday cake is a great goal. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: SuzyQ, you have a lot more than birthday cake to say no to. I wish you the best as you navigate through the jungle of party food. I hadn't thought about snow in west Texas just like I hadn't thought about snow in New Mexico.

:flowerforyou: Heather, have a great trip.......you'll enjoy the luxury of going without your children.

:flowerforyou: Brady, good job with those cupcakes. I read the article you suggested.....what an inspiration

:flowerforyou: MacMadame, congratulations on your new bike. You are amazing to get in such great workouts even with physical limitations.

Hubby saw his cardiologist today for a followup to his defibrillator incident and hospital stay two weeks ago.......he has two new short term medications and another appointment in a month, but no bad news......we are so grateful for that.

It's late and time for bed. hugs to all :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • angl
    angl Posts: 188
    Options
    Not sure if I can keep up with all your posts. There are so many of you on this thread. But I will stick my nose in and post whats going on with me. If you want to read it thanks... if not... thats ok too.
    I have reached my goal weight. Wohooo:flowerforyou: Since the holidays are comming I am thinking I will set another 5 lb goal for myself. Are we ever happy where we are??? I am down to a slim size 12....ohhh love the sound of that.
    Have a great day to all and EAT SMART!!!!!
    angl:bigsmile:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Kathy – Welcome! I hope after the holidays, you will like this forum and stay with us. We have the same holiday goal- maintain don’t gain. Although, I hope I do loose 1 pound this month.

Mary- That must be so hard on you and the students. I’d have given them an open book test if I had to give the test on the day assigned.

Renny- Is that a new picture? You look great.

Mary- I share your frustrations with fast food service. It’s a universal problem these days.

Angl- Woot! Congratulations on reaching your goal weight! I know what you mean about the number of posts. It’s awesome, but some days I just can’t read them all.

I'm having a rough week in that my office is celebrating Christmas daily and will do so until we go out on semester break. I'm definitely not eating like I use to, but have caved in for a few special treats. I did turn the breakfast burrito into a sharing experience and gave have to a cowork who never finds the time to eat before she has to leave for work. She has 3 teenagers at home, so I feel her pain. lol

Semester break is one of the best benefits of working for a University. The entire place except clinical will be closed from 12/24 through 1/1. And it's paid time off! Still I did manage to loose a half of a pound.

I did not loose enough to get my new ski outfit as I will not be able to meet my goal by Christmas. :cry: But, it looks like we might have a big family wedding coming up soon, so I will get to buy a new dress.

Look for a post with Military Survey results in the title. We just got survey results for a disturbing survey by the military on the state of younger generations. Too much of a downer to put in here.

Jeannie
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All and to newcomer Kathy

Please don't forget me. Alex is in the play Willie Wonka and between that and the rest of life along with my BACK that has been so painful, I haven't been on site. I hope all is well with you inspite of some problems I've read. Welcome to newcomer. I'm a Kathy too!

One good thing has come from all the exercise on the Precor at the Y. I am now in a size 20 jeans. I got so excited I also bought a size 18. When I got home, I poured myself into them and button. I can't believe it. It gave me such hope to stay on my plan. Please pray for healing of my back. God Bless all of you this holiday. I'll be back more next week. kc
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hello Everyone.

Since we now have three Kathy's that I know of maybe they should be Kathy-KC (kcwriter)and the newest one Kathy--SL(slightingscale) and we mustn't forget Kathy-PM(pmjsmom) just to keep them straight...just a thought:flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, Sorry you won't make your Christmas goal. I won't make mine either, but at least I am down a little. I was hoping to be down 50 by Thanksgiving and 60 by Christmas, but that probably isn't realistic as I am losing a lot slower than I was. That first month of 12 lbs. gone was great--too bad it couldn't continue, but I am not willing to kill myself with exercise, and I know from experience that deprivation in the short term = weight gain in the long term.

:flowerforyou: Angl, Congratulations on reaching your goal. I am looking forward to a size 12. Now that I am in 16's:drinker: it seems a lot more possible than when I started at 24's!!!

:flowerforyou: Barbie, Now that you know your new scale and your old scale are in agreement, I hope you will "hurl" your old scale to a resale place like St Vincent De Paul or Goodwill or Salvation Army or where ever. Maybe there is someone out there on a budget who will be able to start a fitness journey with it, and maybe some of your good luck with losing will carry over and help them!:flowerforyou:

As far as snow in NM and TX, I am familiar with that because of a trip my parents made about 20 years ago. They drove from Washington state to Maryland to visit friends who then travelled with them up into Canada for a couple of weeks. They made the trip in the Fall, so to avoid possible winter weather issues on the return trip, they came back through Texas and New Mexico. The return trip was very memorable as they spent the time outrunning a blizzard that seemed to be following behind them!! They ended up staying in NM for a couple of days til the weather improved and they could continue. I remember my mom saying she felt like that guy from the old comic strip "Lil' Abner"--"Joe Bpspk" (spelling is wrong on the last name, but if you remember the strip you know who I mean)--he was the guy with the cloud over his head!!!:laugh:

:flowerforyou: MacMadame, Your McDonald's story reminded me of something that happened to me at Carl's Jr. I ordered one of their steak sandwiches, and asked that they cut it in half and wrap each half separately. I went through the drive thru and then parked to eat the first half. As I was eating, I realized, I hadn't tasted any steak!!!:grumble: So I opened the other half, thinking it had been off-center and ended up just on the one side of the sandwich. There was NO STEAK!!!!:noway: :laugh:

Needless to say, I got out of the car, and went inside with the "evidence" and my sandwich was replaced. The woman at the front counter had a good laugh as the guy on the grill had been mystified as to how he ended up with an extra piece of steak!!

It was below freezing here last night, but the sun is out right now :glasses: and the next few days are supposed to be with high temps in the 30's and they are threatening a little snow on Sunday morning, so I guess winter is here, despite the calendar not reaching Dec 21st yet. It will be interesting to see what Bradley thinks of snow. I know Pepper and Mai Li can't get enough of it.

Barb
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Good evening all.
    :flowerforyou: Kathy- Welcome you are really someone to look up to. How did you lose all that weight? Did you do Weight Watchers? What exercise program did you follow?
    :flowerforyou: Mary- I am so sorry to read about your coworker. I am praying for the family, Staff and the children. May God give you all strength.
    :flowerforyou: Barbie- So glad to hear hubby is doing well and congratulations on the weight loss
    :flowerforyou: MacMadame- Sounds like the new bike is a winner, just like you. I can’t wait til I can afford a new bike, mine is as old as me.
    :flowerforyou: Susan (slighting scale), Welcome, you are going to love it here
    :flowerforyou: Alice-I am so glad you are feeling better after your mouth surgery and flu.
    :flowerforyou: Birdie, Jeannie, suezzzque, Angel, Becky, and Barb congratulation on your weight loss. Keep up the losing.
    :flowerforyou: Cindy Thank you for your prayers. I am sending prayers for you, your family, and Lou and her family. Have a safe trip.
    :huh: I took my mother in-law for her PET Scan yesterday and things are not looking good. :smokin: While she was having her test I walked to the shopping center, paid my car payment, went to Rose’s bought a few things, walked to the post office bought some stamps, walked back to the medical complex to check to see if mom was done. She wasn’t done yet so I walked some more. When I finally got back to my car I drove every where I had walked to see how far I had traveled and to my amazement I had walked over 3 miles. I will find out Monday after her Pulmonary Breathing Test if it definitely is cancer, how far if any it has progressed and what course of treatment the doctors are going to prescribe.
    :angry: Well it is raining yet again and my house has flooded AGAIN.:sad: We have spent most of the day pumping and using a huge shop vac to suck the water out of our duct work. I know I burned alot of calories picking up that shop vac and dumping the water down the toilet. Now this is it. I thought bad things came in threes, Mom being sick, my daughter and her Kidney Stone, the rain and the flood. :noway: BOY DO I NEED VACATION. In the mountains this time I don’t want to see water for awhile.
    I am done venting…..everyone have a safe and peaceful Sunday.:heart: Love (((Hugs))) and prayers, Rosemary
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • sheilajane
    sheilajane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I can keep up with all your posts. There are so many of you on this thread. But I will stick my nose in and post whats going on with me. If you want to read it thanks... if not... thats ok too.
    I have reached my goal weight. Wohooo:flowerforyou: Since the holidays are comming I am thinking I will set another 5 lb goal for myself. Are we ever happy where we are??? I am down to a slim size 12....ohhh love the sound of that.
    Have a great day to all and EAT SMART!!!!!

I'm with you, there is no way I can keep up with all the posts. I barely squeeze in enough time to log my calories/exercise and say a few words from time to time.
    Congrats on losing your goal weight !!! I'm also in a 12 but wanting to get into my old 8's and 10's from a couple of years ago. I think we can do that, don't you ?

Hello to everyone and hope you are having a great weekend. I'm exhausted from spending 2 days at the mall :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    What's everyone having for dinner? I made a new meal:
    Easy Barbecued Pork Chops from Taste of Home Diet Comfort Foods
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Easy-Barbecued-Pork-Chops
    Spinach Pear Salad from Cooking Light
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=231719
    And I topped it off with a baked sweet potato. Yummy! I put the nutrition info for the recipes in the database.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
  • angl
    angl Posts: 188
    Options
    sheilajane.. Thanks for reading my post......YES WE CAN!! Surely we can reach for the size 10. Now that I have achieved my goal .... a size 10 seems reachable. I have added 5 more pounds to my ticker and off I go to a new goal. By making myself small goals I feel confident I can do it.
    Even though the holidays are approaching..it will keep my on track if I have a goal.
    Ya all have a great evening.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Susan, slightingscale, SORRY about giving you a new name. I must have not been very wide awake when I posted earlier today. Guess we only have 2 Kathy's after all!:laugh:

I had some really good seafood soup from a new Chinese restaurant near my house. They cook to order so I asked for no msg and no added salt and I could tell by the taste of the broth they honored my wishes, plus there was so much I have enough for another meal.!!

Doggies and I went for about a hour out in the sunshine today. We are supposed to get some snow, maybe, tomorrow, so I figured we better do it while we had the chance.

:flowerforyou: Rosemary, I can certainly understand why you need a vacation. When it rains it pours at your house (that was an unintentional pun) when it comes to bad luck. Let us hope that things improve. I will keep you in my prayers.

BTW, am I the only one who can't see any tickers? They showed for awhile earlier today, then disappeared, then returned and the avatars weren't displaying. Now the avatars are back, but the tickers won't display and I am wondering if that is happening to others.

Good night all,

Barb
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I've been taking a bag of things to the local thrift shop every week.......most of it has been clothes......I've given away almost every item of clothing I owned a year ago.....the only things left are the warm shirts and fleece coat I wear to walk the dogs in the morning and my shoes....I'll add the old scale to this week's bag......i like the idea that someone on a strict budget will use it to start her weight loss journey.:smile:

We went off to the next town shopping today for shoes for hubby and new smaller pants for me......he found the shoes he wanted.....I found a pair of jeans in size four that fit but I hated the style...we both found warm sweaters that we liked so we have one more weapon against the ever cooling weather....it looks like either thrift shops or the internet to find pants that fit.:laugh:

Time for bed, how did it get so late so early........hugs:heart::heart: Barbie