WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER

Options

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Barbie,

As long as you didn't "hurl" your old scale out when you got your new one, you can still do it!!!!:laugh::laugh: :laugh:

This is shaping up to be a looooooong night. I was looking forward to watching the OSU/U of O civil war game tonight, so I planned ahead. I changed the doggies vet appointments for teeth cleaning to today, so I would be staying home anyway and could keep them comfortable. Anyone who has ever had their doggy's teeth cleaned knows they sometimes are not very happy campers for about 12 hours afterward.

Anyway, after making all these smart plans, I discover a day or two ago that the biggest game in Oregon history--since the winner of this one goes to the Rose Bowl--is NOT being shown on any of the local stations!!!. :noway: ESPN is broadcasting it, and I am cheap and don't have expanded cable, so I don't get ESPN. :grumble:

I considered walking over to a nearby watering hole that has lots of bigscreens, but, Mai Li is not a happy girl, even after giving her the 1st pain pill of the night, so I will stay in. I am listening to a radio feed on my pc while I post this message.

Bradley had to have a tooth extracted. It appears his late momma probably hadn't had his teeth cleaned in a least a couple of years, so he lost one, but he is a trooper. He came home and crunched down some kibble and then he started in on a chew bone. He seems to be doing fine.

Pepper just had a semi-annual exam and some annual vaccinations, since his teeth aren't due for cleaning til mid-year.. When we came home, he marched in the house and headed straight for the bedroom and hopped on the bed to get HIS chewbone, which I found on top of the bedspread this morning!!:laugh: He was prancing around here wagging his tale as though he spent a day at the spa!!

What a memory he has--better than mine. I put my cell phone in my purse today because my slacks have no pockets, and I couldn't find it, so I had to use my landline number to call the cell to see if I could hear it ring!!:laugh: :laugh:

Poor Mai Li looks quite miserable sitting here next to me. I hope her meds will kick in soon and she can get a good night's sleep. Based on past history, she will feel much better tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow.

Barb
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,
    This is our last night in Branson. I have most everything packed and clothes ready for tomorrow. I did pretty good. I acually brought the scale with us and when I weigh I have stayed the same. That is great for me. I have not kept track of calores and we only worked out the first 3 days here. We have been really busy with the girls, walking, shopping, etc. So I am happy to stay the same. The way we have been eating I probably ate too few calories. We usually ate one real meal a day and healthy snacks for the rest. I am ready to go home and get back on track to lose some more during the holidays. I discovered something interesting this week ladies. I had given myself permission to have 2 special treats while we were here. One was a piece of cobbler that I remembered from last time we were here. The other was breakfast at Cracker Barrel. (pancakes) I had both and guess what neither one was really worth cheating for. Neither was as good as I remebered. I guess I have really changed more than I thought. When we used to travel our entire trip was planned around meals. Now they are an afterthought. Not sure if I will get to post tomorrow. We are going to sleep tomorrow night at some friend's house in Little Rock. My prayers are with those of you going through death, illness and depression. Great work for those that are on track and doing well.
    vicki M
  • Lianne95519
    Lianne95519 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Well my November goals were to lose 3 pounds and I did. I am still recovering from my hysterectomy surgery on November 24th and unable to exercise so I must be rigorous about food choices. I have one more surgery December 18th to fix my other knee so exercise will be very limited for a while. I am just taking this one day at a time. I am staying focused on being grateful for my blessings. I said last night to my husband, this will be the first New Year that I will have lost the weight that I have resolved every year to lose and never been able to succeed. This year if I stay on track I will have lost the 30 pounds by New Years Eve. Most of it without much benefits from exercise because of my knee issues and by year’s end 3 surgeries. I have gone through most of my life completely taking my healthy and strong body for granted. Never again!!! I will love and care for my precious knees.
    My prayers and well wishes to those faced with difficulties. As others have mentioned faith can be such a comfort during trials and loss. My appreciation to those with stories and tips about how they are sticking to or falling short of their goals through this holiday season. I read everyone’s shares and they are a source of support that helps me stay focused during my challenge.
    Drinking water as I type
    Lianne
    PS I would put some smilie's but they have vanished this time?????
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Vicki M, one of my downfalls is Cracker Barrel Eggs in a Basket. I love this.:heart: I have found that if I mess up in my eating a bit that I actually lose more weight.:smile:

:flowerforyou: Lianne, congrats on losing the 3 pounds that you set as your goal.

Can't be online for much time this morning. I got to work later than usual because I had to drive back to the school to pick up a sick daughter.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the typo, but glad it made many of you laugh. I guess I was laughing to hard to type.

Lianne-Congradulations! 3 pounds is awsome.

Vicki-welcome back!

Jeannie
  • sheilajane
    sheilajane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Well after all the T-giving food and all the cranberry juice I've been drinking for my bladder infection, I managed to lose 1 lb in the last 2 weeks. I was disappointed when I stepped on the scale but then realized I should be happy that I haven't gained. :cry: :cry:

:drinker: :drinker: So here's to starting over.

However, it's gonna be a rough weekend. I have a birthday party Saturday afternoon and another Sunday evening.......and a ladies luncheon after church on Sunday. Glad I weighed in and found I only lost 1 lb because now I'm on a mission. My goal for the weekend: NO BIRTHDAY CAKE !!!
  • arborsong
    Options
    Sheila Jane - some years ago I could never have imagined going to a party and NOT having cake. These last few years, I've learned to keep talking to people and nobody notices I didn't have cake. And, I can come home without the guilt trip.

Louise
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    ROFL!!! :laugh: :happy: :laugh: I too had a mental picture of hurling on ice. You ladies are SUCH fun!

Its a frosty morning here in West Texas. We awoke to 17 degrees and it hasn't made it to freezing yet. :bigsmile: We have a light dusting of snow on the ground which makes it FEEL so much more Christmassy! :love:

Last night began what I call "the family weekend of food that does not end." Last night the entire local extended family gathered for beef stroganoff and apple pie. I ate half an apple dipped in peanut butter about an hour before we went, then at supper I picked out some of the meat and had a steak salad and an inch wide sliver of pie, and none of the pasta or rolls.

Tonight they are all coming to my house where I am making turkey (not beef - but don't tell) chili and protein brownies.

Tomorrow morning is the ladies Christmas brunch ~ where nothing will be low cal, and then we'll all meet to go out for supper again Saturday night. My saving grace at the brunch is that I'll be singing and it is never difficult for me to resist food when I am about to sing.

Sunday evening is our first Christmas party, this time brisket and all the trimmings. Is I said before, I 'm taking strawberry spinach salad and a sugar free dessert to that.

I figure if I can manage to lose any weight at all by next week's weigh in I will be successful indeed!
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning - Actually afternoon already!

I truly hope noone 'hurls' on the ice or I will be 'hurling' in the stands:laugh:

I have been reading about everyone on here going on trips for months now and finally I get to go on one myself - and I mean by myself! I will miss my family but I sure do need to get away. Looking forward to spending time with family who I see very seldom and enjoying the Curling.

I'm getting a rocket stick for my laptop that allows internet anywhere so I will be checking in when time permits.

Take care

Heather
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Lost the 2 lbs I had gained back. Phew! :bigsmile: Can't exercise yet, but am hard-core housecleaning today which is a good workout for me. Still want to lose another 2 by Christmas.

Have a great day everyone.
    Renny
  • bradybrookes
    Options
    Cold here this morning – we started at 17* . . . .Overall a good week! Really concentrated on the water, and really thinking instead of reacting to the TV commercials or ads in magazines for cookies and “trigger” foods and emotions. I’m not really an emotional “eater” but probably more an emotional “baker” . . . . Old thought process - want to feel good? have a warm yummy smelling house, must mean to bake something. Really stopping to think about that. Had two friends stop by to bring 4 test cupcakes for me to try (even though they know I am working hard at losing!) . Carrott pumpkin with cream cheese frosting. I was able to give all four away at work the next day. Really really wanted to eat them, and then I STOPPED and really thought about it. Here’s an inspiration: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/12/04/fn.beck.griggs/index.html
    143992.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator
  • bradybrookes
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Renny: I updated my profile as you suggested. Interesting to put into words the last two year journey. Thanks for suggesting it!

:laugh: And the "hurling" thing, literally I had to pass that along to my kids who all laughed and laughed!!! So funny!!

143992.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Just a quick check in. My daughter & I made it to TX just fine.

My sister-in-law is still hanging on but her body is shutting down. Hospice is making sure she is comfortable. It's heart breaking to see. I pray it is soon.

Thanks for listening.

Cindy

PS: This house is full of cakes and cookies. This will be a hard trip food wise. I did get the baby carrots & grapes out of the refrigerator. I just don't keep this stuff in my house because I am addicted to sugar. I hope I don't totally blow it while I am here.
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Mary: That hurling/curling thing made me go to bed with a smile on!!!!:laugh:

:wink: Jeannie: Did you ever think a typo would get so much attention.:laugh: I think God knew we all needed a laugh….and there you were pen in hand. :flowerforyou: Thanks for being a good sport!:heart:

:noway: SusyQ: Isn’t it amazing how so many events are centered on food!!!! When you’re “in it” you don’t realize it until you step back and regroup! That strawberry/spinach salad sounds great!:tongue: Do you put Raspberry vinaigrette dressing on it?

:wink: Barb: Too bad about the game. Maybe you should reconsider cable? I know it costs extra but you get soooo many more stations with it. :happy: Most of what I watch is NOT on local stations, and TV is so bad these days, that I enjoy the option.:ohwell:

:flowerforyou: Vicky: What determination! You brought the scale with you? Now That’s focus!!:flowerforyou: Sounds like all the walking etc. paid off! Also, you ought to be happy with the whole experience of not putting food….front and center! That is truly a life style change that you should be very excited about!:drinker: :drinker:

:flowerforyou: Lianne: Congratulations on reaching your goal for November!
    I didn’t even think about New Year’s Day! Every year I say I’m going to get healthier….especially with the weight thing. But by Jan 2 the resolve has vanished in the left over’s and another year goes by. :ohwell: But this year I did what I’ve been trying to do…because resolutions don’t work unless your heart is in it.:wink: In August, my heart was in it and I just did it because what was in my mind for so long, dropped into my heart.:heart: That is sometimes the longest of journeys. (Head to heart) Also, the health issue became important to me now that I am in my 60s and I realize I don’t have youth on my side to compensate my poor choices!:grumble:

:flowerforyou: Sheilajane: ANY loss around Thanksgiving…is a real victory. Congratulations!

Think of the Birthday Cake as evil!!:devil: :devil: :laugh: :laugh: They say that satan :devil: comes as an angel of light to deceive you….well nothing is more deceptive than thinking that a piece of BD cake is going to make you happy. :mad: It won’t. But NOT having it will make you very proud and truly happy!!!:happy: :happy: How long does it take you to eat a piece of cake?:huh: How long will you feel guilty about it?:huh: Case closed!!! :laugh: Good luck!!:flowerforyou:

:happy: Heather: Have a great time with your family!:wink:

:flowerforyou: Renny: Congratulations on the 2lbs lost! Another 2lbs by Christmas…You Can Do It!!

:happy: Brady: That’s a pretty impressive link! I liked what she said when she said, "I am me because of her, but I won't ever go back to being her." I don’t hate the person I was in August, that’s the woman who brought me to MFP…:smooched: but I don’t want to go back to looking like….and feeling like her.:noway:

:heart: Cindy: Take care…this is a tough time for you.:brokenheart: You are in my prayers as is your SIL and family.:heart::heart:

:flowerforyou: Becky: Hope your daughter feels better.

:wink: Barbie: I wouldn’t worry about the scale thing!! :noway: That’s why we have Barb!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Have a blessed Day!!!:drinker: :drinker:
    BirdieM:heart:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    :Hello Everyone,

Birdie-- The reason I have the cable I have is because of the way Comcast prices things, it would cost me over $50 a month more, with taxes, to have expanded service and keep my digital boxes. I am grandfathered in to the package I have at a very low price. The two boxes I have are only $1 per month ea, vs. about $7 ea now, and if there is something I absolutely can't miss I can always go visit my parents, since there cable is free in the retirement community they live in, or walk over to the neighborhood watering hole. It would be nice to have the additional channels, but I am not a huge tv watcher, except for news and public television stations, and the free On Demand programming, so it isn't worth the extra money....now if you would like to send me your address so I can have Comcast send the bill YOU..........JUST KIDDING!!!:laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:

On a more serious note... Cindy, :flowerforyou: my thoughts and prayers are with you. I am glad you have arrived in TX and are able to be with your family during this tough time.

Barbie, what did you find out about your new scale? Does it weigh differently than the old?

As I feared, it was a long night around here for Mai Li. It took a dose and a 1/2 of pain med to get her down for sleeping and she woke me twice during the night. The second time, I gave her another pill, but I couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up at 5a, and had something to eat, then got the nods about 7:30a and went back to bed for a few hours. She is still looking a little sad around the edges, :grumble: but by later this afternoon, I am hoping she will be back to her old self. I can tell she is on the mend, since she mustered enough energy to growl at Bradley this morning!!!:laugh:

I have to go and do something, even if it is wrong!!!

Barb
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this thread.

I am 53 and have lost 60 pounds in the past year. I realized I wanted some more support for the holiday season and found this site.
    I really like it. I think it is much easier to log my food and exercise here than at other sites.

I am wondering if I should change my ticker to show the weight I've already lost. What do you think?

I have some goals for December. They are:

1. To drink more water--I'm shooting for 72 oz. a day and so far have done pretty well.
    2. To workout at least 30 mins a day--not counting the walking I'll do for shopping, etc.
    and
    3. To stay on my eating plan--basically it's portion control. I'm trying to at least not GAIN this season and a loss would be great!

Kathy
  • weaklink109
    Options

I am 53 and have lost 60 pounds in the past year. I realized I wanted some more support for the holiday season and found this site.
    I really like it. I think it is much easier to log my food and exercise here than at other sites.

I am wondering if I should change my ticker to show the weight I've already lost. What do you think?

1. To drink more water--I'm shooting for 72 oz. a day and so far have done pretty well.
    2. To workout at least 30 mins a day--not counting the walking I'll do for shopping, etc.
    and
    3. To stay on my eating plan--basically it's portion control. I'm trying to at least not GAIN this season and a loss would be great!

Kathy

Welcome Kathy,:flowerforyou:

I looked up your profile and you are sorta in between Barbiecat (another 50* poster) , who is up on the Olympic Peninsula, and me, down in Vancouver.

I would say, put your original starting weight on your ticker. You can add it and the date it occurred. This will help you if you use the reports function to track your progress. Besides 60 lbs. GONE is something to be proud of, so it might as well show on your ticker.

Your goals look good to me. The lifestyle change seems to be more easily made in a series of steps rather than jumping off a cliff--that sudden stop at the bottom usually hurts!!!:laugh:

You will find this is a wonderful site for information and support, and this is a great group of ladies. We trade information and motivation everyday, and if you have been reading the recent posts about "hurling," vs "curling" then you know we also share humour as well!!!:laugh:

We will look forward to hearing from you and getting to know you!!:flowerforyou:

Barb
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options

and

Kathy

Welcome Kathy!!! There's always room for one more!!!:wink:
    BirdieM:flowerforyou:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    You will find this is a wonderful site for information and support, and this is a great group of ladies. We trade information and motivation everyday, and if you have been reading the recent posts about "hurling," vs "curling" then you know we also share humour as well!!!:laugh:

We will look forward to hearing from you and getting to know you!!:flowerforyou:

Barb
    [/quote]
    I did read the posts and I loved the "curling/hurling" bit.:laugh: I recently discovered curling and think it looks like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, no one else in the family wants to watch with me!
    I'll try changing my ticker later. Right now I have to finish my exercise for the day. (Or it won't get done!)
    Kathy
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Kathy! We are glad to have you!

I just got home from another long hard day. The students organized and led a memorial service for the teacher first thing in the morning. I had the pre-algebra quiz from hell, with one of the boys saying "I'm just gong to flunk. There's just no one here to help me anymore with her gone", and another sobbing uncontrollably, hitting his head on the desk, and breaking pencils because he couldn't do the math. Her husband and two sons came later to get her things, and being the only one that really knew her husband, I got elected to accompany them with the principal, asst. principal, and head of the special ed dept. Not easy. Monday morning I am taking three students with me to the funeral in a neighboring town. School will start at 11:30.