WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER

Options

Replies

• vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,
    I have been reading the posts, mostly skimming. I have not logged my food and exercise until today since we went on our trip. On the trip my weight stayed the same. I feel like I gained some inches because of the way my clothes are fitting. I am back on track today. We just went to the gym and plan to go early in the morn again. I did good on my food also. I am not going to respond to all posts becasue I cannot remember them all. My prayers are with those with loses. Congrats to those doing good. I have a pair of the silk underwear. Bought them when we went to New York 2 years ago. They really work. They are very very thin and fit under even tight fitting clothes (which I probably wore back then) They keep you extremely warm. We bought them locally but I wanted to get hubby some so I will try website. My plan for December is to do a lot of good workouts and eat good food. I am not going to weigh again until Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. I can stay focused better if I do not weigh. I hope you all have Great Christmas. This is my absolute favorite time of year. My house is decorated, my shopping is 99% done and all I have to do is my baking. Dont worry I just bake for others. I rarely eat what I bake. Have a good day ladies. Hopefullly I will be more faithful.
    Vicki M
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Jeannie,

Your tumbleweed story gives me an idea for a unique Southwest style Christmas decoration. Take some tumbleweeds and spray them with some flocking and put some ornaments on them and they would make an unusual patio or hearth decoration. As you can see, I have too much time on my hands.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Vicki,

Welcome home from your trip. It sounds like your Christmas preparations are still farther along than mine and I haven't been traveling.

The only preparations I have made so far are to assure the weather will return to above freezing and we won't have any snow. What did I do? Why I purchased a snow shovel and a set of (smaller :drinker: ) thermal underwear!!! :laugh: :laugh: I am wearing them now, wrapped up in a blankie surrounded by doggies. I have been trying to minimize the use of my heat to save a few dollars. I live in a pretty well insulated place, but every dollar counts right now. Thank goodness for comforters and blankies.:heart:

I am not complaining about the weather here. It is 22 degrees outside right now, and that is much better than what it was in Central Oregon last night. There is a small town south of Bend and Redmond called La Pine. Last night it was 26 BELOW there:noway: . If that isn't some kind of a record, it should be!!!

Good night:yawn: It is getting to be that time, again.

Barb

P.S. I edited to add a little note about the thermals. In the past, I could never get women's thermals large enough to fit, so I always ended up with men's. Today, I looked at them, as they were cheaper, but then I saw the women's, which cost a couple of dollars more for each piece, but they were misses' size Large, and I took them home and they FIT, with enough room to spare so that when they are washed and dried they should be the right size to last me through the :drinker:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Barb's post reminded me that I have no thermal underwear any more ... because they are too big and I gave them away! yeah!!
  • Lianne95519
    Lianne95519 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    :ohwell: Very cold everywhere. We have had several days of 25ish lows. As I am still recoverying from surgery and I haven't been outside much except to feed the animals in the morning or to run one errand a day. :flowerforyou: I am grateful to have been able to recover in my cozy home with a loving husband and sweet pets to comfort me. Tomorrow I will try to return to work 1/2 time. :smooched: I did my first cleanse day since my surgery and it felt good to clean out after all the different medication and whatnot that were required
    for this process. :grumble: I have strayed a little now and then but mostly stayed close to my clean eating plan.
    I got my IPod Touch and downloaded the Myfitnesspal app. So cool. Thanks for the great idea.:heart:
    I also went to the exercise web site for creative exercise ideas for someone in my situation (recovering from surgery and going to have knee surgery Dec 18th) Thank you for sharing that site. I love that kind of stuff. :heart: :heart: I get board doing the same thing and love having lots of choices.
    :flowerforyou: Thank you too to all those sharing. As I have said so many times, reading your posts have helped me stay focused and move through my surgery challenges. This could of been a good excuse to gain weight but I didn't.
    I am so grateful to be a part of this group.
    Love to you all,
    Lianne:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Two days of calories on track and two days of exercise. Check! :wink: Barb, congratulations on your 50lb. loss. You have inspired me to keep on track by moderation of eating what I like to eat and daily exercise. I have been on every diet and have every book about every diet (some I have two copies). When you use a "diet" and don't stay on it, you feel like such a loser (not a "good loser"). Thanks for the encouragement. Everyone has so much to offer on this site.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Lianne, I had surgery this past spring...two of them. I was not able to do much at all for nine weeks. But, when I got back into the swing of things, the weight just started falling off. You will do fine.

I can sure use some thermo underwear. My work pants are quite thin. In fact, because we are to have some heavy winds today, I am wearing my jeans. So much warmer. I have heard that there are some silky type thermos that are thinner but still keep you very warm.
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,

I got home from Houston yesterday afternoon. I'm glad to be here & to get started back eating right. I've come home with a sore throat & cold but it isn't that full blown kind. I just feel sort of yucky. I haven't had one in a long time & I guess being under strain compromised my immune system.

I want to say thanks again for the prayers and thoughts on behalf of my family. Especially for my brother & 3 children as they find their way without Helen.

Cindy
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    To everyone cold at work-

Yes, there are silk long johns and other ultra thin ones you can buy now a days instead of those clunkly old style ones. They run about $15.00 a piece on sale. Not sure what sporting goods stores you all have near you, but any place that sells skis or snowboards should be having good sales on them now before Christmas. I wear the silk camisole tops to work all the time (with something else of course) as I work in jeans anyway. Another idea is lined jeans. LL Beans has them on sale right now. I just bought some for my son for Christmas. I have thermal socks on with my shoes, my silk undershirt and a sweater on to go to work today. The office where I sit is so cold.

Great decorating idea on the tumbleweeds! Maybe we will try it this year.

Have a great day. Warm thoughts to all who are cold and/or ill.

Jeannie
  • angl
    angl Posts: 188
    Options
    Good Morning all
    As for the thermal underware.....I wear them all winter long. Dont miss a day as I hate to be cold and since I am through the Big Menapause thing I dont get the sweats anymore. But the cold goes right through me. Living in Michigan all my life I know what I have to do to stay warm.
    The Biggest Loser motivates me. The winner lost 239# !!!! That is a lot of weight.!!! Watching all of them lose hundreds of # is so inspiring. And I only have a measly 5-10 # left to go. Should be a piece of cake. Not that I want a piece of cake .....no no no cake.
    I have been having low potassium. Since I am on diuretics Dr. wants me to try to use them every other day. So, after the first day without I gained 2 #s. Probably will lose it today with the diuretic. Dont like seeing the scale go up. Anyone have any thoughts on this.?? Last summer when I was hospitalized for 4 days....I gained 10 lbs without the diuretic. My pants to go home were soooo tight.
    Take Care
    angl:bigsmile:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Good Morning all
    As for the thermal underware.....I wear them all winter long. Dont miss a day as I hate to be cold and since I am through the Big Menapause thing I dont get the sweats anymore. But the cold goes right through me. Living in Michigan all my life I know what I have to do to stay warm.
    The Biggest Loser motivates me. The winner lost 239# !!!! That is a lot of weight.!!! Watching all of them lose hundreds of # is so inspiring. And I only have a measly 5-10 # left to go. Should be a piece of cake. Not that I want a piece of cake .....no no no cake.
    I have been having low potassium. Since I am on diuretics Dr. wants me to try to use them every other day. So, after the first day without I gained 2 #s. Probably will lose it today with the diuretic. Dont like seeing the scale go up. Anyone have any thoughts on this.?? Last summer when I was hospitalized for 4 days....I gained 10 lbs without the diuretic. My pants to go home were soooo tight.
    Take Care
    angl:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Hi Angl,

Regarding your potassium issue. There are supplements. At my doctor's direction, I have taken an over the counter potassium supplement along with my diuretic BP med for years. I am surprised your doctor didn't suggest this, as it is preferable to having your blood pressure going all over the map due to not taking a daily dose of meds. I suggest you ask him or her about this.

As for underwear, I am very glad I picked up that new set yesterday at Walmart. Last night by the time I went to bed, the outside temp was 17 degrees, and I thought "cold enough." Apparently not. This morning, the outside temp was 12 degrees when I got up!!!! An extra blankie on the bed and two out of three warm little doggies in bed kept me toasty throughout the night.

These guys are beginning to figure out that we are not taking our usualy morning walks as long as it is this cold, so they don't start stirring as quickly as they usually do.

:flowerforyou: Cindy,

Glad to hear you made it home safely from your trip. Try to take care of yourself during this sad time. We are all here for you.:flowerforyou:

Barb
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Hi ladies,
    I'm at work so I just have time for a quick update....I'll read the posts later. I dropped another 2 lbs and I'm so excited! :bigsmile: Went out to buy clothes last night and it was not the nightmare it usually is!!! :happy: Now that I can get into some clothes that aren't big and loose.....I find that.....that's the style!!! :noway: :noway: With leggings in style, I guess that's what they need to wear with them! I did buy a couple of things but not very much as I'm not finished with this journey yet!:wink:
    Have a great day and I'll catch up with everyone later!!:flowerforyou:
    BirdieM:heart:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    When I was taking HTCZ for my blood pressure, I also took a potassium supplement. It helped.
  • sheilajane
    sheilajane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    To all of you who have suffered the loss of children (Rosemary, Sheilajane, Alice) you are in my prayers and thoughts. Much as I try to understand God's plan I fail repeatedly to be able to do so. I know that even though sometimes it doesn't feel like it, God does love us poor humans and that when we hurt our very worst he is there to wrap his loving arms around us. God be with you. :heart: Terri

Thanks for everyone's kind words. God does has a plan and I'm sure it would scare us all to death if we knew what it was. We just have to believe that we will see our beloved children again. :brokenheart: :brokenheart:

:noway: : As for the silk undergarments: I'm too warm blooded to need such things, but I have a friend who wears them all winter long. I think the ones she buys are called "Cuddle Dudz". I think you can find them in most nice department stores.
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Greetings from snowy Nebraska...about 12 inches worth!! Sometimes it's hard to take a day at a time, but that is all I have anyway, so I need to make it count! I get into the "Oh, I'll have this and then tomorrow I'll do what I should"...syndrome. The trouble with that is something else seems to come up tomorrow and I get farther and farther in my old ruts. Today I've done good so far...:flowerforyou:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    To all who are struggling with losses: Please know that I am praying for you and yours.

I need the constant motivation that this site gives me. OK, you all are definitely motivating me. I had walked 30 minutes earlier today, and I just made myself do a 30 minute exercise video before I could say hi to you. SO - - - Howdy, y'all!

I am also wearing my Cuddle Duds. The wind has been howling, and we have already hit our high of 9 degrees for the day, and the temp is headed back down. My thoughts are with those of you who live in even colder places.

Our water froze today, and I don't know what my husband did over his lunch hour but it just came back on. Praise God! I have to get ready to go though, because my angel daughter invited me over for dinner since I didn't have water.

Stay warm, and stay motivated! Here's to smart choices!
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening all, just a quick weather update....:smile: It has finally stopped raining....and not a second to soon......:grumble: not only is my house flooded,:noway: but so is the dog house (which is about 6 inches off the ground) :frown: and both of our work sheds that sit across the road from our house. :grumble: My husband left work early and has been runnung 2 pumps, non stop, all day. :noway: The water has only gone down about an inch, since the house is flooded there will be no heat tonight and most likely tomorrow either. :happy: Thank God the temperature is going to be 43 to 50 degrees for the next few days and no sign of precipitation until Sunday. :smokin: Hope everyone is staying warm, Rosemary

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I was in my Sears store today and they had some micro fiber thermal underwear on sale for $12.99 per piece (regularly $22/ea).
    They are called Cuddl Silks, and they are available online at the link below. The sale price is good through Dec 12th. It says you can buy online and pickup in store, and the website had a message about free shipping for orders placed today, 12/9/9.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=silks&vName=&x=15&y=9

Despite the name, these are NOT silk, but micro fiber, but they did look very thin when I saw them in the store.

Barb
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: I love reading all the posts and savor each one and reflect on it and then think OMG, how can I reply to everyone so I write nothing then I log on later and there are more posts and I get even more overwhelmed........you all probably have the same reaction.

:flowerforyou: Lianne, I hope going back to work half time won't be too hard on you.....I know you'll be smart and take it easy. I love your positive attitude

:flowerforyou: Rosemary, I'm so glad the rain finally stopped......your water filled house sounds like a nightmare and you have such a cheerful attitude....you remind me of my friend who during her terminal illness said that she would set the timer for a few minutes of self pity and when the timer went off, she said "that's enough" and went back to her positive thinking.

:flowerforyou: Mary, I rode the exercise bike and drank a cup of tea before logging on tonight

I checked out cuddle duds and cuddle silks....thanks for the information.
    This morning I wore my cotton footless tights under my jeans when I walked the dogs......they kept me so warm that I wore them to line dance and when I took the dogs to the dog park.....I think they are bulkier than the silk will be but they had the advantage that they were here and the silk wasn't.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, I loved the tumbleweed in the snow story....I would have laughed my head off too.

:flowerforyou: Vicki, I'm glad you're back and that your trip went well :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Eava, I'm glad you're back on track.....take it one day at a time and you will continue to stay on track:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: cindy, glad you're home safely.....stay warm and get rest and you'll get through these tough times

:flowerforyou: Birdie, congratulations on losing more weight.....and enjoy the journey of finding new clothes...you'll find your new style by the time you've lost all the weight you want to lose and are buying a new wardrobe.

The big news here is that we sold our motorhome. We decided awhile ago that with our business expanding that we'd be doing more travel that didn't involve RVing. some people drove it on Monday and made an offer on Tuesday......they have to get the money together and the deal will close next week......we have a loan to pay off but there will be cash as well.....I want to claim some of it to buy new clothes :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'll miss it, but it's time for a new chapter in our lives.
    hugs to all of you and thanks for being in my life :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hi All,

Rosemary so sorry about the flooding and lack of heat. I would die without heat can’t stand cold weather! I to am so thankful for this thread I feel as if you all are such a support group for me. I think since we are all around the same age it really helps us understand the struggles.

Barb read your post from yesterday what an inspiration!

Well ladies I am so tired I am going to bed .

Good night,

Lynn
  • weaklink109
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Rosemary,

Your post was not visible when I was doing my last one. So sorry to hear about all the flooding. I hope the rain is over for our area for a while so you can recover.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Lynn,

Glad my words were positive for you. Keep trying...

Barb