Why do people get so provoked by vegans?

Options

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Most people in my real life don't even know I'm a vegan. But, there are times it comes up and my mere existence seems to challenge some people, no matter how polite and accepting I try to be.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    It's like religion

No one cares if a person is vegan or not, just quit cramming the lifestyle down other's throats.
    This^^

I've actually only conversed with one vegan, one time. And he was all about "Oh my god, are you even thinking about what you're putting in your body? Why don't you sit still for the next four hours while I lecture you about your food choices and how wrong they are. Then, before you can bolt from the room, I'm going to try and make you watch 16 videos about the horrors of all foods that aren't vegan." I never talked to him again.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's people are provoked by vegans in general. I think it's like anyone else preaching their decisions as if we all have to agree with their choices. It's no different than bible thumpers shoving beliefs down your throat, Athiests shoving their non-belief beliefs (wow reads funny) down your throat, etc. While it's not every vegan, bible thumper, or Athiest, it's just a handful who act that way and people just get annoyed. In reality, most don't care and don't act out like that. But like any group, you have SOMEONE who is extreme and annoying about what they believe in.

But the difference is someone wouldn't post "I'M BURNING A BIBLE RIGHT NOW!" on a Christian thread. Why do people feel the need to post "YUM! I WANT STEAK! THOSE COWS DESERVED IT!" on a vegan thread? That happened yesterday after someone posted the results of a study. I don't comment on threads with meat in the title, so non-vegans should do they same if they only intend to upset the others.

Really? On the internet you don't think people would post that on a Christian thread? I beg to differ. Are you new to the internet and forums?

Decent people then. Why do it? So many people on MFP feel the need to.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't think people are provoked by veganism. I think people are provoked by others who say "my diet is the only way."

Bingo

Too many vegans I have run tinto are like religious zealots....and insist I hear about their veganism. I really don't care. Does that make me a bad guy?
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's people are provoked by vegans in general. I think it's like anyone else preaching their decisions as if we all have to agree with their choices. It's no different than bible thumpers shoving beliefs down your throat, Athiests shoving their non-belief beliefs (wow reads funny) down your throat, etc. While it's not every vegan, bible thumper, or Athiest, it's just a handful who act that way and people just get annoyed. In reality, most don't care and don't act out like that. But like any group, you have SOMEONE who is extreme and annoying about what they believe in.

But the difference is someone wouldn't post "I'M BURNING A BIBLE RIGHT NOW!" on a Christian thread. Why do people feel the need to post "YUM! I WANT STEAK! THOSE COWS DESERVED IT!" on a vegan thread? That happened yesterday after someone posted the results of a study. I don't comment on threads with meat in the title, so non-vegans should do the same if they only intend to upset the others.

hmm if I remember correctly you came on a thread regarding the same issue yesterday (which is now deleted) stating if you're not vegan you're ignorant.

ETA: I remember this clearly because I then joked that your cat looks delicious.
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason people think their opinion is always right, no matter what the stance. Omnivores whine about vegans, vegans whine about omnis. It's just easier for the carnivores to make fun of vegans because the majority of people are omnivores, not vegan. When you have a bunch of people backing you up, it's easy to bash people.
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options

^^^ This.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

But the difference is someone wouldn't post "I'M BURNING A BIBLE RIGHT NOW!" on a Christian thread. Why do people feel the need to post "YUM! I WANT STEAK! THOSE COWS DESERVED IT!" on a vegan thread? That happened yesterday after someone posted the results of a study. I don't comment on threads with meat in the title, so non-vegans should do they same if they only intend to upset the others.

Really? On the internet you don't think people would post that on a Christian thread? I beg to differ. Are you new to the internet and forums?

Decent people then. Why do it? So many people on MFP feel the need to.

They get the rise out of you that they are aiming for. It's called trolling.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's like religion

No one cares if a person is vegan or not, just quit cramming the lifestyle down other's throats.

I am vegetarian and I know vegan people. It's usually the other way around, meaning that myfriends and the non-vegetarian people I know keep trying to make me stop being vegetarian.
    I suppose no matter which one you are, when they try to force you to do something, it's equally annoying.
  • amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian who eats a vegan diet...not for any reason but food allergies, and kindness to my furry friends, HOWEVER; I live in BFE Altus OK and please show me someone who can live an all Vegan life in crappy small towns that don't stock organic produce? OMFG. Also, sometimes vegans can be a bit annoying. Sometimes I can be a bit annoying. I tone it down. My fiance isn't vegan, he will do the vegetarian thing with me, and I'm happy for that. Also, I drive a car, granted it's a 2012 Sonic so I get like 43 mpg and it's awesome, but it does still consume fossil fuels, making me NOT a vegan...oh and also, I lied, cause I accidentally contaminate myself with honey all of the time...so yes, a vegetarian who is lactose intolerant and doesn't eat eggs. :) I am not provoked, but please do not talk smack about my carbs, or I will talk smack about your flesh, and rigor you are putting in your mouth. ;)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

But the difference is someone wouldn't post "I'M BURNING A BIBLE RIGHT NOW!" on a Christian thread. Why do people feel the need to post "YUM! I WANT STEAK! THOSE COWS DESERVED IT!" on a vegan thread? That happened yesterday after someone posted the results of a study. I don't comment on threads with meat in the title, so non-vegans should do the same if they only intend to upset the others.

Sorry, that's not true. People definitely post things like I'm burning my Bible on a Christian thread. Or all religious people are stupid. Or something else along those same lines.

Just like Vegans post on meat eating threads about how all meat eaters are sociopaths.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I don't think the problem lies with vegans... I think the problem lies with what I like to call 'pseudo-vegans'... those who do it just to be trendy or those who do it whilst, astonishingly, still wearing and using animal products in every day life.

Personally, I think any 'extreme' lifestyle with largely unsubstantiated claims on its efficacy are bunk... it may work for you, but nearly all changes in ones diet will result in a favourable latency period before tapering off (either no weight gain, or any weight loss).
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I'm not annoyed or provoked by vegans...several of my siblings eat vegan diets...I have immense respect for people that can live that lifestyle and YES, it is a lifestyle! I know I couldn't do it. I love my dairy too much...and the occasional cheeseburger.

I agree with the other posters that a lot of people get offended when people preach to them that their way of eating is the only way...or that there's something wrong with eating meat. Unless you have a moral stance on eating animals (and many people do)...it's hard to hear someone tell you that your way of eating is wrong and their way is right.

Dunno. Just my two cents. But props to you though. It can be tough to do. But you still get beer right? LoL.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I didn't read this. FYI last time this was asked it was immediately locked. I'm a vegetarian, so I have respect for vegans. Just don't start telling me how bad dairy is. I love my eggs.

I was loving this post until you said eggs were dairy. None of my cows have ever laid an egg :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    So many words, so I didn't read anything but the title. Just wanted to comment so my very aggressive, provocative friend VoV could reply!

LOL! VOV <3

I am not provoked by vegans. I am provoked by anyone who professes that what they do health wise for their body will work for mine. My body is extremely fussy. I have to cater to it, not to anyone else's ethics or ideals.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Options

hmm if I remember correctly you came on a thread regarding the same issue yesterday (which is now deleted) stating if you're not vegan you're ignorant.

ETA: I remember this clearly because I then joked that your cat looks delicious.

No, I said it was ignorant of people to not respond to the actual study. Instead they immediately started posting "THIS MAKES ME WANT A STEAK!"
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

You obviously don't be on forums very much if you think that.

Back to the original question. Most people aren't provoked by vegans. They're provoked by people who try ramming their lifestyle down other peoples throat.

I have friends that are vegetarian, I have friends that are vegan. I don't try forcing them to eat meat and they don't try forcing me to become vegetarian/vegan. It's a strange concept called "respecting other peoples choices". Sadly, a lot of people don't understand this concept.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options

I just think it's refreshing to see that sort of blatant trolling somewhere other than a religious thread.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Options
    For whatever reason people think their opinion is always right, no matter what the stance. Omnivores whine about vegans, vegans whine about omnis. It's just easier for the carnivores to make fun of vegans because the majority of people are omnivores, not vegan. When you have a bunch of people backing you up, it's easy to bash people.

This.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it obnoxious when people get all high and mighty about how much water they drink.....veganism (is that a word?) is only offensive in the same light - when someone tries to jam it down my throat as the ONLY way to be and any other way is just wrong.

I personally don't think I would be able to do it but I have NOTHING against anyone who chooses this lifestyle (or any lifestyle for that matter). If it doesn't affect me then I literally could not care any less...