Why do people get so provoked by vegans?

Options

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Most people in my real life don't even know I'm a vegan. But, there are times it comes up and my mere existence seems to challenge some people, no matter how polite and accepting I try to be.

Then you are not being as polite and accepting as you think you are. Sometimes when we think that we are just stating our opinion in a non-confrontational way, we are really coming across as judgmental.

I have vegan friends. We have no problem being with each other. I don't try to get them to change, they don't try to get me to change.

It's not veganism that bothers people.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    anti_vegan_sticker-p217171152649717394en87f_210.jpg
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I imagine some people get provoked when vegans and vegetarians make comments about how they don't understand how anyone with morals could eat animals. I see that a lot on my Facebook wall, for instance - I have a couple of vegetarian friends who make posts like this, which are basically implying in a passive-aggressive way that all their meat-eating friends are immoral, heartless, unthinking people. Unsurprisingly, this kind of comment makes me less inclined to be friends with someone! Preachy people who assume a position of moral superiority are not good company.

On the other hand, some people do seem to get provoked for no reason. I went through a phase of being vegetarian - it turned out it wasn't right for me, but I tried it for a year. I never preached it to anyone. I wasn't doing it for moral reasons, and had no interest in converting anyone else to become vegetarian. I rarely talked about it - I would simply tell people I was vegetarian in advance if they invited me to a barbecue or something. I would bring along my own veggie burgers. But still, quite a few people made belittling comments about vegetarianism when they saw me eating veggie burgers, or tried to persuade me that I needed to eat meat. There seem to be some people in the world who can't just accept that someone else has made a different lifestyle choice to theirs.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    can-t-we-all-just-get-a-bong_design.png
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's people are provoked by vegans in general. I think it's like anyone else preaching their decisions as if we all have to agree with their choices. It's no different than bible thumpers shoving beliefs down your throat, Athiests shoving their non-belief beliefs (wow reads funny) down your throat, etc. While it's not every vegan, bible thumper, or Athiest, it's just a handful who act that way and people just get annoyed. In reality, most don't care and don't act out like that. But like any group, you have SOMEONE who is extreme and annoying about what they believe in.

But the difference is someone wouldn't post "I'M BURNING A BIBLE RIGHT NOW!" on a Christian thread. Why do people feel the need to post "YUM! I WANT STEAK! THOSE COWS DESERVED IT!" on a vegan thread? That happened yesterday after someone posted the results of a study. I don't comment on threads with meat in the title, so non-vegans should do the same if they only intend to upset the others.

Yes, that happens to almost every thread

"I'm looking for vegan friends"

Multiple responses: "I love steak"

"Looking for vegan recipes"

I don't go into Paleo threads and talk about any supposed evils of meat eating. In fact, I've shared a ton of recipes with Paleo people because there are some common interests between veganism and Paleo peeps.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's people are provoked by vegans in general. I think it's like anyone else preaching their decisions as if we all have to agree with their choices. It's no different than bible thumpers shoving beliefs down your throat, Athiests shoving their non-belief beliefs (wow reads funny) down your throat, etc. While it's not every vegan, bible thumper, or Athiest, it's just a handful who act that way and people just get annoyed. In reality, most don't care and don't act out like that. But like any group, you have SOMEONE who is extreme and annoying about what they believe in.

But the difference is someone wouldn't post "I'M BURNING A BIBLE RIGHT NOW!" on a Christian thread. Why do people feel the need to post "YUM! I WANT STEAK! THOSE COWS DESERVED IT!" on a vegan thread? That happened yesterday after someone posted the results of a study. I don't comment on threads with meat in the title, so non-vegans should do the same if they only intend to upset the others.

hmm if I remember correctly you came on a thread regarding the same issue yesterday (which is now deleted) stating if you're not vegan you're ignorant.

ETA: I remember this clearly because I then joked that your cat looks delicious.

No, I said it was ignorant of people to not respond to the actual study. Instead they immediately started posting "THIS MAKES ME WANT A STEAK!"

nope.. wrong. found it. here it is :)

Topic: Why do people get mad at vegan/vegetarians on mfp? Tue 08/28/12 11:23 AM
    Basically guilt and ignorance.
  • beckajw
    Options
    For whatever reason people think their opinion is always right, no matter what the stance. Omnivores whine about vegans, vegans whine about omnis. It's just easier for the carnivores to make fun of vegans because the majority of people are omnivores, not vegan. When you have a bunch of people backing you up, it's easy to bash people.

This.

Ha! Then why is it so easy for vegans to trash non-vegans?

It's not about numbers. It's about people not agreeing with you.

Vegans feel that they are trashed by omnivores. Omnivores feel that they are trashed by vegans. Athiests feel that they are trashed by Christians. Christians feel that they are trashed by athiests. Democrats feel that they are trashed by Republicans. Republicans feel that they are trashed by Democrats.

Simply, you are no different than anyone else.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    as others have said - it's not the vegan / vegitarian that is the provoking thing - its the I converted and now have to convert you too thinking that annoys me - i've just made it a practice to not really discuss the differences - for me being a vegan / vegetarian would never work - I dont actually like taste or texture of the majority of vegetables and nuts that veggies eat - I could never eat enough of what I do like to survive - and for the record - it annoys me when someone starts talking all about their steak too - but more because it usually makes me want one
  • beckajw
    Options

Yes, that happens to almost every thread

"I'm looking for vegan friends"

"Looking for vegan recipes"

I don't go into Paleo threads and talk about any supposed evils of meat eating. In fact, I've shared a ton of recipes with Paleo people because there are some common interests between veganism and Paleo peeps.

Maybe you don't. But there are those who do. I've seen the Paleo people get bashed by those who say meat eating is bad.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Most people in my real life don't even know I'm a vegan. But, there are times it comes up and my mere existence seems to challenge some people, no matter how polite and accepting I try to be.

Then you are not being as polite and accepting as you think you are. Sometimes when we think that we are just stating our opinion in a non-confrontational way, we are really coming across as judgmental.

I have vegan friends. We have no problem being with each other. I don't try to get them to change, they don't try to get me to change.

But the difference is that you never have to state that you eat meat because it's the norm and expected. That's like saying a gay person seems judgmental by coming out.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Maybe you don't. But there are those who do. I've seen the Paleo people get bashed by those who say meat eating is bad.

Maybe its because I see little use in going into Paleo threads ;) or even just general threads that are obviously not for me.
  • beckajw
    Options

But the difference is that you never have to state that you eat meat because it's the norm and expected. That's like saying a gay person seems judgmental by coming out.

No, you're just not reading what I wrote. I didn't say that anyone was judgmental for saying they don't eat meat. I have friends who don't eat meat and if asked to eat a burger will say "I don't eat meat." That's not judgmental and is fine. It's when YOU say, you shouldn't eat that because the cow didn't have a choice that YOU become judgmental.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is on both sides. I personally don't care if someone is a vegan or not. At the same time there are plenty of vegans (and vegetarians) who make it their mission in life to be as rude as possible to people who choose a different dietary lifestyle. I think all lifestyles have their ups and downs and it's up to each person to decide.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I think some people are provoked by vegans for the same reasons people get provoked by homosexuals or atheists or Christians or Republicans or Buddhists or baseball fanatics....because there are a *kitten*-ton of people out there who just can't fathom why other people would want to be different from them.

Sigh. Gets really old, really fast, doesn't it?
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

But the difference is someone wouldn't post "I'M BURNING A BIBLE RIGHT NOW!" on a Christian thread. Why do people feel the need to post "YUM! I WANT STEAK! THOSE COWS DESERVED IT!" on a vegan thread? That happened yesterday after someone posted the results of a study. I don't comment on threads with meat in the title, so non-vegans should do they same if they only intend to upset the others.

Really? On the internet you don't think people would post that on a Christian thread? I beg to differ. Are you new to the internet and forums?

Decent people then. Why do it? So many people on MFP feel the need to.

They get the rise out of you that they are aiming for. It's called trolling.

I know I get one. It's like I just woke up in the morning, pitched a tent, and had it forcibly blown down by a great hurricane.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm biased as a meat-eater, but I think that going around trolling vegan forums about the greatness that is steak is merely annoying, whereas vegans telling meat-eaters that they are murderers and slaveholders (yes, I have been called a murderer and a slaveholder on MFP) is very problematic.

That said, if someone finds that their body responds better to a vegan diet, and they can keep up with it and it helps them, all the power to them.
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason people think their opinion is always right, no matter what the stance. Omnivores whine about vegans, vegans whine about omnis. It's just easier for the carnivores to make fun of vegans because the majority of people are omnivores, not vegan. When you have a bunch of people backing you up, it's easy to bash people.

This.

Ha! Then why is it so easy for vegans to trash non-vegans?

It's not about numbers. It's about people not agreeing with you.

Vegans feel that they are trashed by omnivores. Omnivores feel that they are trashed by vegans. Athiests feel that they are trashed by Christians. Christians feel that they are trashed by athiests. Democrats feel that they are trashed by Republicans. Republicans feel that they are trashed by Democrats.

Simply, you are no different than anyone else.
    A lot of vegans are dbags, that's why. They get the holier-than-thou stance which is annoying as hell. But they have the right idea in that if you have an opinion on something and think it's important, then stand by it and try to encourage it. They go too far quite often, but I think there wouldn't be as much banter back and forth if so many omnis didn't go into vegan threads going "mmm... steak" every other comment. It's immature and annoying, from both sides.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I don't feel provoked unless they start saying it's the BEST diet* and I'm stupid for not doing it. The same goes for those who follow Paleo, Atkins, South Beach, gluten-free, and other diets.

I'm happy that those things work for those people, so I don't hold it against them. It's their body and their choice. If being vegan works, more power to you.

For what it's worth, I have several vegan friends, and none of them have ever preached. They're all really healthy and within the "normal" body weight range. I've had several really good vegan dishes at parties, and I enjoy going to vegan restaurants with them. I've put a few vegan dishes in my cooking rotation because I really like them. I don't like greasy food, so the fake meat is actually preferable to me.

I don't think being vegan is a "bad" thing, as long as you're smart about nutrition and make sure you get all the necessary vitamins and minerals. That goes for any diet, though.

*By "diet", I mean the way you eat, not a diet to lose weight.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me a bit...till someone gets on about the morality end of it.

Being told I'm evil for doing what every generation of humankind has done since before we walked upright sort of gets on my nerves.
    It's not just that it is an attack on my morality, it's an attack on the moral existence of human beings. It's as though humanity exists in a state of original sin and only the few who have risen above that sin are fit to live in the garden.

Eat or don't eat what you will. I have an opinion on the health aspects, but I'm not informed or qualified enough to debate them with you...but if you think I'm evil for eating flesh, do us both a favor and choose not to associate with me.
  • jenwalton
    jenwalton Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Q: How can you tell if someone is a vegan?

A: Don't worry, they'll tell you.

Ha!

Loved the original post, by the way! I am a mostly vegetarian / vegan and have not really that many issues with judgmental people. I agree that everyone's dietary choices should be like religion - we should all be who we are and respect one another without forcing our beliefs and choices on others...